It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSM pulls Olympic race card, disgusting!!!

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by FoosM

Originally posted by Sinny

Already addressed, ask you Gov, not me!

Really guys, I do try my best to be a good sport and reply to all, but can we stop repeating and repeating, PLEASE!

If you are a US citizen you are your government. And you brought it up.
So you should be able to address it.

Well, I'm from the UK, so I can't help you there! Lol.

So a US citizen is its own Government? LOLz that deserves its own thread

Go make one!

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I think I found the problem here.

People in this thread are going on and on about how mentioning Gabby was African-American was being "divisive".

So does this mean, that when you realize people are of another race, that you don't feel as "close" to them?

Seems to be a problem on your ends.
edit on 4-8-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   
I think it was a blatant use of race , to say wow look the first african american to win the gold was totally wrong her race should not have been mentioned, if there was a black brit or frenchman or woman to win gold they would not have mentioned there race , but it somehow applies to the US .

the race issue aside , she is really cute ! so well done for her on getting gold !

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
I think I found the problem here.

People in this thread are going on and on about how mentioning Gabby was African-American was being "divisive".

So does this mean, that when you realize people are of another race, that you don't feel as "close" to them?

Seems to be a problem on your ends.

I love you.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
The Olympics games are about countries, not races, so why mention it.. And yes good on her for winning gold.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Aren't they like, making her race a *good* thing?

Just like Obama is the "First black President"?!

Its people like your self who make a deal out of it.

I agree, I don't see why this is a problem.

Do we get all "racial" when China wins another gold, and not mention that they're Chinese?

With all the real crap going on in the world why is this even an issue? So African American's are proud about it, and so what if some commentator fills air with words. This thread is what is making this a big deal, you're making something out of nothing.

Go and listen to the commentators on any event and you'll find the same inane waffling about all kinds of things.

I never see race as an issue in anything, and all I see here is statement of fact or people being proud. Why is that such a big deal?

I guess it depends if you think that social cohesion and racial issues are a problem in and of themselves.

I would suggest really looking at the motivations for this thread. It seems to me that this opinion on ATS is more racially motivated than pointing out any grand conspiracy.

edit on 4-8-2012 by detachedindividual because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by AutOmatIc

I believe that she is really Obama's daughter. I was watching it on Eurosport and the commentator remarked that you can see the first lady in her or something to that effect and then he said oops, as if he shouldn't have mentioned it.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
One of my favorite things about the Olympics is that you do get to see statistically where different countries and races excel.

"Blacks" generally excel at athletics, so when another racial trait wins it is mentioned in those particular sports.
"Asians" are great at diving, badminton and gymnastics, so if a non-asian country wins, it is celebrated.
"Whites" are generally best at swimming, rowing and horse related events, so if someone outside of that racial group wins it is a statistic worth mentioning.

There are also many other sports where various ethnicities or nationalities excel, when someone outside of the norm wins, it is often highlighted, especially when dealing with the US and it's racial history. The US has many races in it's culture, and as such race is often mentioned in relation to the USA.
First Asian-American Olympian turn 92

By all means, mention both race and country, because it is an interesting fact of the games. All of these athletes are amazing to me! I (and no-one in this thread) could compete with any of them in any of their chosen sports, they are all masters at what they do!

p.s. please realise I am over-simplifying a bit here, so no need to attack... it is an interesting topic.
edit on 4-8-2012 by puzzlesphere because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by puzzlesphere

"Blacks" generally excel at athletics, so when another racial trait wins it is mentioned in those particular sports.

That is very true.

For the record this can be broken down even further.

Black people who are more or less from western Africa dominate the sprinting events and are relatively useless at distance running.
However, athletes from eastern Africa dominate the distance running and are relatively useless at the sprinting events.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Thanks for the link, I didn't know that fact.

I love the Olympics and all of its nuances and diversity!

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by AutOmatIc

I think race does matter in sport.... Hardly ever see dark skin in swimming events but they lead the running
. Obviously the body are slightly different. I am so pleased Gabby won.....she was my favourite.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

Did this come off as a rhetorical question? I want it answered.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by tallpaul1984
I really do believe this is a much exagerated thread. We live in an overly PC world, where you can't say anything without upsetting someone. I think its going too far to speak on her behalf. If you follow the commernatery on all of the events, you will hear stats pulled out from every athlete, and competing nation. If you want to pick on something, either race, sex or whatever, then you will find something. I believe that is just the conditioning of this PC / Blame world we live in.

She is, and should be proud of her achievment. She should also be proud of her background, and be proud to be an inspiration to everyone back home.

It really is that simple. I don't even know what to label this thread because the mentality is so bizarre and ridiculous. I guess it's like a cousin of the idea of "reverse racism"... even worse than that...

You're all acting like this is somehow threatening you personally as non-African Americans... why is that? Does this negatively affect your life in any way shape or form?

ETA: I've seen about a dozen threads in the last few months bashing blacks or other groups of people, and now that a new African-American role model has emerged, people are pissed off that they even label her as such... Am I missing something here??
edit on 4-8-2012 by solarjetman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I wonder what he would have said if she had been black and Swedish. The first African Swede?

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Liberals/Communists have such a fear of diversity that they are now even academically and scientifically claiming that there is "no such thing as race".

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by AutOmatIc
...and not just American.

So "separationism" is fine as long as it's your preferred kind of "separationism"?

Why not do away with your nationalist "separationism"?
edit on 4/8/2012 by skibtz because: Clarification

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
as long as the eeo exists no so-called minority can ever say they earned it.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   

I gave you all the infomation you needed. She's black I'm white, I was clearlt talking about skin colour, not hair styles! Aha

I didnt say hair styles. I said type.
Skin color? So if you tan yourself you change races?
Maybe D.Icke was on to something after all.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

Aren't they like, making her race a *good* thing?

Just like Obama is the "First black President"?!

Its people like your self who make a deal out of it.

I agree, I don't see why this is a problem.

Do we get all "racial" when China wins another gold, and not mention that they're Chinese?

Chinese is not a race its a nationality!
Come on people, use your brains.
People dont make a distinction if a Chinese person happens to have Korean, Japanese, or even
European heritage. They dont say:

"Oh look, the first Chinese-Japanese person to have won gold in this event!"

You see how stupid that sounds? Thats the same thing as saying African-American.
The media really wants to point out: a BLACK, NEGRO, ex-SLAVE.

I would suggest really looking at the motivations for this thread. It seems to me that this opinion on ATS is more racially motivated than pointing out any grand conspiracy. :@@

What I see is that there is enough people with this crutched way of thinking.
That if they were asked to work in the media, they would say similar idiotic things, as you have demonstrated.
The girl has a name, and she has a nationality, thats all you need to use to identify her with.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
they have repeatedly talked about nations that have never won a medal.. having the first African American woman win the all around gymnastics would seem to be nothing more than an extension of that same train of thought. i don't see the comment as racism and im sure the black communities across America are rather proud of her accomplishment.

the Olympics are after all about representing your people and nation at the highest level of competition in the world.

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join