It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSM pulls Olympic race card, disgusting!!!

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Morg234

Aren't they like, making her race a *good* thing? Just like Obama is the "First black President"?! Its people like your self who make a deal out of it.
reply to post by Sinny

Yes, in the universe where one would say "first white girl to win a gold".

So as far as this is concerned, it's stupid.

I'm pretty darn sure if I was the first "white" bird to win gold, it would be stated as such.

Its called a STATISTIC.

I just cannot get my breath on all you lot demanding RACE NEVER BE MENTIONED,

Does apply to all species? Could I not say something like "First Jack Russle In History to Win On the Greyhound Track!" Lol just a fun example.

STATISTIC. Watch my chops, once more for good measure.. STATISTICS.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by HamrHeed

lol.. really?

You think I sound racist?

Good... keep your personal attacks to yourself.

p.s. my long term girlfriend is Malaysian, my best friend and business partner is African American, none of which is ever even raised until threads like this. I see them all as people, with different histories and personal characteristics that has helped to define them in this modern world. Some of those characteristics, when brought into forums like this are touchy subjects... obviously.

Good luck with your approach to life. ;-j
edit on 4-8-2012 by puzzlesphere because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

And why doesn't the main stream media announce him being the first WHITE athlete to win 21 medals in the Olympics? I am not understanding this. Explain it to me one more time?

WHY does he have to be the first PERSON to win 21 medals in the Olympics? Why can't we be proud of the fact that he is white? Why is it when I have pride in the white race it is considered racist and bigotry?

Yet Being proud of being the first black African American female athlete to win a gold in gymnastics is somehow honorable and worth mentioning?

I think your double standard is showing sweetie!

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by puzzlesphere
reply to post by DirectDemocracy

Michael Phelps is heralded as the first "Olympian" to achieve something, regardless of his characteristics... just as Carl Lewis was heralded as the first Olympian to run under 10 seconds in the 100m (race wasn't raised, from memory).

If there had only been a black person to win 21 medals before him, then chances are that when he did it, he would be heralded as the first "White" man to achieve it.

The "first" of anything is always heralded in the Olympics. Only after there has been a first do something does sub-categorisation begin.

Here is a list of firsts from the Olympics:
Olympic Firsts

As you can see there are many firsts related to all types of charecteristics, from race to gender, to political alignment.

The great thing about the Olympics is that generally it is an open and honest arena. It's only threads like this that make an issue of the facts.

Actually the MSM made an issue of the facts by instead of celebrating Gabby as an "American" who won gold, but they made sure to reiterate the fact that she was black...or "African American". Let us take a look at the list from the link you provided to see if any "white" or "Caucasian" or any other races are mentioned and specifically labeled by their race other than "black" or "African".

The FIRST Olympic champion of the modern Olympic Games was James Brendan Connolly of United States, the winner of the triple jump (the triple jump was the first final event of the 1896 Olympics).

James Brendan Connolly was Irish, but not labeled as "Irish American".

en.wikipedia.org...

The FIRST brothers to win Olympic gold medals were Americans John and Sumner Paine - they came first in the military pistol and free pistol shooting events respectively in 1896.

No mention of their race. And even did a search and subsequent articles did not mention their race either.

The FIRST time women competed at the Olympic Games was in 1900 in Paris. It is commonly believed that the FIRST women to take part in the Olympic Games occurred on June 28, when French players Marie Ohnier and Mme Brohy participated in the 1900 croquet games. Actually another female, Swiss sailor Hélène de Pourtalès competed before then, on May 22, 1900.

No mention of their race. Only that they are French, and Swiss.

The FIRST female Olympic Champion was England's Charlotte Cooper, who won the tennis singles in 1900. However, she was not the first female Olympic gold medalist, as Swiss sailor Hélène de Pourtalès earlier won gold as part of a boat crew in the 1-2 ton class.

No mention of Charlotte Cooper's race. No mention of Hélène de Pourtalès race either only that she is Swiss.

The FIRST black athlete to compete at the Olympics was Constantin Henriquez de Zubiera, competing for France in 1900. The FIRST black athlete to win a gold medal was African-American John Taylor, who was part of the US relay team in athletics in 1908.

Ah, here we go, not only is Constantin mentioned as "black" but also you have John Taylor who is mentioned as "African-American".

the FIRST brother and sister to win an Olympic medals were William Dodd won the men's archery competition, and his sister Charlotte Dodd won the silver medal in the women's archery competition.

No mention of race.

The FIRST twins to win Olympic Gold medals were the Swedish brothers Vilhelm Carlberg (3 golds) and Eric Carlberg (2 gold) in shooting in 1912.

No mention of race, only that they are Swedish.

The FIRST person to win a medal in the same event in Summer and Winter Olympics was Gillis Grafström, when he won figure skating gold medals at the 1920 Olympics and at the first Winter Olympics in 1924.

No mention of race.

The FIRST black African to win a gold medal was Ethiopian marathoner Abebe Bikila, who ran barefoot all the way in Rome, 1960.

Abebe is referred to as a "black" African.

the FIRST double amputee to compete in the Olympic Games was South African Oscar Pistorius (aka the 'Blade Runner') in 2012. He will compete in the Olympic Games 400m and the 4 x 400 m relay races.

No mention of race.

Do you see a pattern here? If you are white, or Caucasian, or anything other than "black" or "African" there is hardly a mention or reference to their race if any.

Why? What is the reasoning for making sure that we know who is "black" or "African"?

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by DirectDemocracy

Originally posted by Sinny

Originally posted by AutOmatIc

Aha, OP just got *owned* by the last few pages of contributers

Glad that's cleared up.

Um no actually, there is no "ownage" , winning, or losing when it comes to the fact that the MSM makes sure to racially profile a specific race...it's sad really more than anything. I'm not here to "own" anyone...but nobody has been able to explain coherently to me why Caucasian Americans are not labeled as such...only African Americans are labeled. That is the real issue...as to why they do that, and the fact that it is accepted as being ok...or "politically correct" to racially profile.

Some of you people are really making me LAUGH! 48 hours later, your still talking "MSN" this "MSN" that...

It was the God damn commentator! Not the news!

How has this debate got so far when half of you have twisted the facts to suit your own agenda?!

And FYI, the OP did get owned

Commentator? Oh sweetheart you are either intentionally ignoring the truth or you are....unaware of how to operate an internet search engine.

startingpoint.blogs.cnn.com... arch

"Dominique Dawes, a member of the "Magnificent Seven" on the 1996 gold-medal winning team, is the only other African American woman to win an individual Olympic medal in gymnastics."

earlystart.blogs.cnn.com...
"Sixteen-year-old American gymnast Gabby Douglas became the third straight American and the first African-American to win the women's all-around gold medal last night in London."

startingpoint.blogs.cnn.com... arch

That took me all of 30 seconds to do a search for. Shall I go on and post ALL of the other news and media running the exact same thing? I think it is you who have been owned.

Where did the comment originate?

The commentator.

Now its spread, just like this darn racist thread!

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   

reply to post by Sinny

And why doesn't the main stream media announce him being the first WHITE athlete to win 21 medals in the Olympics? I am not understanding this. Explain it to me one more time?

WHY does he have to be the first PERSON to win 21 medals in the Olympics? Why can't we be proud of the fact that he is white? Why is it when I have pride in the white race it is considered racist and bigotry?

Yet Being proud of being the first black African American female athlete to win a gold in gymnastics is somehow honorable and worth mentioning?

I think your double standard is showing sweetie!

I'm really amazed at this conversation.

I feel like a dog chasing my own tail.

His ethnicity need not be mentioned, because there's no other ethnicity to CONTEND with.

OMG!

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   

How the hell did I not see this before? I feel awakened like you have opened up my eyes.

Kudos for admitting this and taking another step to enlightenment

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   

lol.. really?

You think I sound racist?

Good... keep your personal attacks to yourself.

p.s. my long term girlfriend is Malaysian, my best friend and business partner is African American, none of which is ever even raised until threads like this. I see them all as people, with different histories and personal characteristics that has helped to define them in this modern world. Some of those characteristics, when brought into forums like this are touchy subjects... obviously.

Good luck with your approach to life. ;-j

So it's an attack to call out racist behaviour?
Didn't you say indirectly that if a half black accomplished something, whites would take credit for it? I'm confused.
For example: obama is considered black but he isn't. Picking and choosing with flesh and bone puppets?

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Curious if you read my post here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

...and if you have any explanation as to why only "blacks" and "Africans" warrant the explanation as to their race as opposed to any of the other people mentioned in this list. Also, why is this a "racist" thread when we are only asking why "blacks" and "Africans" warrant an explanation of their race yet no other race is afforded the same respect when referring to Olympic athletes?

edit on 4-8-2012 by AutOmatIc because: Olympic

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by AutOmatIc

That's because when the Olympics started in the modern era it was a "White", "Male" event only. With many prejudices about keeping it "White" in the early days, yet calling itself a global competition.

As equality and political policy has changed around the world, and people's understanding of those prejudices, and the realisation that "Global" means more than just "White Man", it has let in many other races, genders and political leanings.

The Olympics is a world stage event, and as such is scrutinised by the world. As highlighted by this thread, "race" still is a hot topic, and that's why on the global stage it is still mentioned.

Maybe (hopefully) in the future, race won't be an issue and won't even be mentioned, but the reality is, that it still is an issue, and in a sense it is a great achievement (both personally and globally) for anyone "Non-white" to be seen on that world stage.

ETA: Also, it seems the US has much more of a problem with this than the rest of the world. Most of the rest of the world has gotten over it... but not in the US, given the recent race history of the country.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Race is mentioned all across the board, including us whites!

Aboriginies across the world refer to us as the "white" man.

I walk into a Grungy club at 3am up town, everyone in there is black and me and my friend are greeted with, "yoo, white girls! Come join us"

You cannot *pretend* race, ethnicity, and skin colour *dont* exit.

Bacause they do!

Rascism should be stamped out, celebration of it *shouldnt*

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Haven't read your linked post, cuz I can answer it anyway.

Its not JUST African and Mixed race that get a special mention,

As demonstrated *throughout* this thread, comments have been made on the accomplishments of Scottish, Asian, Aboriginies, and from all walks of life,

If someones a *new* statistic, they're a new statistic. End of.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   

I walk into a Grungy club at 3am up town, everyone in there is black and me and my friend are greeted with, "yoo, white girls! Come join us"

Bacause they do!

So called equality has gone too far. It's to the point where people are reduced to numbers on a page, and redistribution is attempted by moving numbers to other columns.
Destined to fail .We're not equal. But we deserve equal rights endowed by the creator, our father of the heavens, the earth and everything in between.
Peace

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Aren't they like, making her race a *good* thing? Just like Obama is the "First black President"?! Its people like your self who make a deal out of it.
reply to post by Sinny

I'm pretty darn sure if I was the first "white" bird to win gold, it would be stated as such.

Its called a STATISTIC.

Does apply to all species? Could I not say something like "First Jack Russle In History to Win On the Greyhound Track!" Lol just a fun example.

Here is the first problem:

There is no such thing as races within the human race.
Thats a concocted term used to establish slavery.
White is not a race, its an attribute.

African & American refer to continents.

Calling someone African - American means the athlete represented two continents.
I dont think thats possible in the Olympics. People represent their nationalities in the olympics,
or place of birth. Not the color of their skin, ethnicity, their political views, or their religion.

The media, however, loves to create controversy or talking points for ratings by focusing on skin color, politics, religion, etc.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   

No... I didn't say that "indirectly" at all, I'm very straight-forward. Your prejudices may have interpreted it that way, but that isn't what I said. In fact, I celebrate the fact that she was the first African American to achieve her gold in that event.

50 years ago "white" man wouldn't have even allowed her to go to the Olympics as an athlete. It is an achievement, both for African Americans, and racial tolerance in the US, and should be seen as such.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Bacause they do!

No, race is not mentioned all across the board otherwise they would refer to all athletes by their race, and not just "blacks" or "Africans". I agree that racism should be stamped out of course it should it's horrible, but the specific targeting of race by the MSM concerning Olympic athletes (not just one commentator but bloggers, and many, many newspapers) is a despicable practice, and if they are going to do it, they should be doing it for all races, not just one or two.

edit on 4-8-2012 by AutOmatIc because: spelling

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by FoosM

reply to post by Sinny

Its called a STATISTIC.

Here is the first problem:

There is no such thing as races within the human race.
Thats a concocted term used to establish slavery.
White is not a race, its an attribute.

African & American refer to continents.

Calling someone African - American means the athlete represented two continents.
I dont think thats possible in the Olympics. People represent their nationalities in the olympics,
or place of birth. Not the color of their skin, ethnicity, their political views, or their religion.

The media, however, loves to create controversy or talking points for ratings by focusing on skin color, politics, religion, etc.

Well, here's to problems with your point of view.

If race doesn't exist and we are all the same, why am I white, and my best friend black?!

Shouldn't we look the same?

Granted about white being an attritube, I was using the term loosly instead of using Anglo-saxon.

And, if you don't like the term "African American" etc etc... Hadn't you better change the PC of your country? And take it up with the government? Once again, ill point you to the Census' we fill out on a yearly basis that demand you fill in your ethnicity.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by AutOmatIc

Bacause they do!

No, race is not mentioned all across the board otherwise they would refer to all athletes by their race, and not just "blacks" or "Africans". I agree that racism should be stamped out of course it should it's horrible, but the specific targeting of race by the MSM concerning Olympic athletes (not just one commentator but bloggers, and many, many newspapers) is a despicable practice, and if they are going to do it, they should be doing it for all races, not just one or two.

edit on 4-8-2012 by AutOmatIc because: spelling

STATISTIC.

Race is not an issue in the Olympics, statistica are.

Or should be like, stop using statistics now as well?

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   

No... I didn't say that "indirectly" at all, I'm very straight-forward. Your prejudices may have interpreted it that way, but that isn't what I said. In fact, I celebrate the fact that she was the first African American to achieve her gold in that event.

50 years ago "white" man wouldn't have even allowed her to go to the Olympics as an athlete. It is an achievement, both for African Americans, and racial tolerance in the US, and should be seen as such.

The white man?> Lol more like the elitist overlords who created the system we're all enslaved by. I don't know what you guys wish to accomplish by blaming this on all whites instead of the real criminals, but it's sketchy and people are catching on.
Slavery and racism didn't start with whites. Just check the history books: our skin "changed" because we moved from one climate to another, right?
You see, it's all semantics and emotional crap

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   
In fact there is a distinction in "race" across the world. Generally we are all categorised into either "Asian", "White" or "Black"... or "Mixed".

None of these are specific, and all seem to be mentioned in relation to the Olympics, "White" the least so, because the Olympics is seen historically as a "White" event, so just saying Olympian carries the historical connotation of being "White".

Inside these general groupings there are many break-downs, from Malaysian-Chinese, Aboriginal-Australian, African-American, Brazilian, Chinese, etc...

Sub-categorisation, without degradation is NOT being racist, it is just defining the facts.

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join