It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michelle Obama requires photo ID and SS number for book signing

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

While it is most likely a requirement of the Secret Service (and one that I find ridiculous given we are not to have titles of nobility nor is any other citizen to be of higher stature; including the president's wife), my only gripe is the demanding of your Social Security number.

The question is, is it being requested or demanded and is a Privacy Act notice being given to all who have provided the number? Here is the Federal statute regarding SSN:

(b) That individuals requested to provide their social security numbers must be informed of:
(1) Whether providing social security numbers is mandatory or voluntary;
(2) Any statutory or regulatory authority that authorizes the collection of social security numbers; and
(3) The uses that will be made of the numbers.

Next we need to know, are we required, if requested by the Secret Service, or to just merely meet a person (regardless of their political seat) to give our SSN to enjoy the "right, privileged, or benefit" of such a meeting:

Regulations for this "book signing" would fall under 31. C.F.R. Part 408, which most likely designated the place in which this took place as a temporary residence of those under Secret Service protection.

3(5)(b) Authorized persons must possess and display identification documents issued by or satisfactory to the United States Secret Service.

The 1974 Privacy Act was amended by the Department of Homeland Security and exempted itself from the privacy rules in order to provide the "protection" and gather information on individuals relating to that protection.

Regardless this culture of "protection" of our "leaders" from the "rift-raft" is sickening and we call ourselves and open society.....

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by habitforming

People get carded all the damn time, cash a check,start a bank account, go get welfare benefits and yet it is somehow racist to ask someone for what they should already have on them by law every time they go some place.

Really is astounding how people are missing the point.

None of that has anything to do with the right to vote.
I go through my day just fine without showing any photo ID to anyone.
It really is astounding how you are missing the point. The right to vote is not equitable to a book signing, buying a pack of cigarettes, going to a bar, etc.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
Make sure a person isn't armed. An agent can stand next to her. No ID and certainly SS# needed.

I also do not like the idea of the costs incurred while she makes money with a book. First cut to save money should be all the costs protecting ex government officials and flying them home for weekends.

Guess she figures that after being first lady the market for her book will drop.

I agree....I do resent any public funds being spent to "protect" her while she promotes her book, and I also think that we already pay plenty in pensions for life to former government officials, once they are out of office they should pay for thier own security if they feel they "need" it. This whole notion of SS to protect them for life, is absurd, and wasteful...lol....free security while those old "thieves" throw cocktail parties in Mansons they bought by selling out to special interest groups and corporations...

I wonder how much a SS agent makes? It's gotta be at least $100,000 a year, so even if only 2 are assigned to each ex government official, that tacks on another $200,000 a year to the generous pensions they already get for life.....it's obscene.

I think the point the OP makes is a good one, if we are expected to pick up the tab for these government officials and thier families, we have every right to ensure there is no voter fraud going on to put them in office to begin with, and if we have the funds and means to "protect" the first lady on her "personal" book tour for profit, we certainly can make checking ID's at voting polls happen, and most of those people are volunteers anyway. Why would Obama oppose this? That's the point I believe the OP is making...please correct me if I have that wrong OP.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by MountainLaurel

I wonder how much a SS agent makes? It's gotta be at least $100,000 a year, so even if only 2 are assigned to each ex government official, that tacks on another $200,000 a year to the generous pensions they already get for life.....it's obscene.

Nope, not anywhere near 6 figures, outside of the few highest ranking agents. The average is between $48k and $75k per year.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Hmmm, interesting I would have thought they made more...TY for clarification...lol...it's still too much to protect ex government official IMO.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
And the Dems whine about people having to identify themselves at the poll in my state.

Hyprocrites.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by rtyfx
And the Dems whine about people having to identify themselves at the poll in my state.

Hyprocrites.

Tell me what that has to do with this topic? And how the SS DOING THEIR JOB is hypocritical. Ive asked a few times now, yet no one will answer.

WHY IS THAT?

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

ID for a book-signing? Come on.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Tell me what that has to do with this topic? And how the SS DOING THEIR JOB is hypocritical. Ive asked a few times now, yet no one will answer.

WHY IS THAT?

I don't know, what I do know is, people who defend requiring id for voting bitching about this are hypocritical.

Also, not a single person who is bitching about this would get a book signed by the first lady to begin with, so it wouldn't affect them in the slightest.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

WHY IS THAT?

And I’ve answered several times. Dems claim its “racist” for a state to ask for ID when someone votes. Why then is it not racist to ask for ID before seeing Michelle? Why do the same rules not apply? Obama and the dems only cry racism over checking ID’s for voters because they need the illegal votes to have a chance at winning elections; they pander to illegals.

People should have to show an ID to vote because voting is one of America’s most sacred rights, yet the dems are demanding NO ID (except to see Michelle
)!! That’s hypocritical and people who don’t admit it are either confused or deliberately denying the obvious.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

They're being deliberately obtuse.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by rtyfx

They have no argument so they intentionally deflect and distract. They hope to derail my thread but they’re not that good! It’s hypocritical and everyone knows it.

The Obama’s lecture American’s about curbing our personal spending while they live like royalty on our dime! Obama's AG didn't go after the Black Panthers for voter intimidation or putting a bounty on and Americaan citizens head but all of a sudden they're worried about showing ID to vote?

Everything they do is hypocritical.

edit on 17-6-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by rtyfx

ID for a book-signing? Come on.

Way to prove you totally missed the point.

It has nothing to do with it being a book signing, and EVERYTHING to do with the fact that it is the SS's JOB!

Good lord, people cling to some weak garbage on here these days.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

WHY IS THAT?

And I’ve answered several times. Dems claim its “racist” for a state to ask for ID when someone votes. Why then is it not racist to ask for ID before seeing Michelle? Why do the same rules not apply? Obama and the dems only cry racism over checking ID’s for voters because they need the illegal votes to have a chance at winning elections; they pander to illegals.

People should have to show an ID to vote because voting is one of America’s most sacred rights, yet the dems are demanding NO ID (except to see Michelle
)!! That’s hypocritical and people who don’t admit it are either confused or deliberately denying the obvious.

You're seriously still clinging to the notion that voting and secret service protocol are even remotely similar? Seriously, pathetic.

You continue to go back to the "racism" cry, yet you are the only one going there. Everyone else realizes that this is what the SS is there to do.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

reply to post by rtyfx

Maybe but I think it might be more mischievous. They have no argument so they intentionally deflect and distract. They hope to derail my thread but they’re not that good! It’s hypocritical and everyone knows it.

The Obama’s lecture American’s about curbing our personal spending while they live like royalty on our dime! Obama's AG didn't go after the Black Panthers for voter intimidation or putting a bounty on and Americaan citizens head but all of a sudden they're worried about showing ID to vote?

Everything they do is hypocritical.

If thats the case, why have you ignored the multiple LIES that I pointed out about this thread? Hmmmm.....

Yeah, someone is attempting to be mischievous here alright.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I'd gladly provide my social security number if her husband did the same.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

First, note that I despise the Obama administration.... but the article just says one must SHOW an ID and SS#... they didn't say they would be doing a background search... so neither the ID nor the SS# need to be legit.

Hope this makes everyone feel better

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

You're seriously still clinging to the notion that voting and secret service protocol are even remotely similar? Seriously, pathetic.

You continue to go back to the "racism" cry, yet you are the only one going there. Everyone else realizes that this is what the SS is there to do.

Good…so we can agree checking ID is not racist, right?

Tell that to Obama and Eric Holder because I agree with you.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Good…so we can agree checking ID is not racist, right?

Tell that to Obama and Eric Holder because I agree with you.

Awesome. We agree, asking for ID, in general, is not racist. Do we agree that id'ing to vote is nowhere NEAR the same thing as SS protocol?

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

edit on 17-6-2012 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join