It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deny Ignorance - A term which Americans find hard to understand

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital

Originally posted by PurpleChiten

ok, I'm confused

...was this thread posted as some kind of "bait" or "slam"? If so, sorry to have taken part in it, that's poor form

No it wasn't bait, and stop sucking up like you's all do!

The hell it wasn't

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
I really dislike these threads. No offense meant to you, OP. But all these threads accomplish is division and hate.

No different to teh numerous posts on here slandering Australia, our past, our servicemen...

I have not seen a single post, anywhere on this site at any time that even refrenced Australia until this one, not even ONE! But you sure have done a lot to make it look bad in this one.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

reply to post by Germanicus

It's obvious you are proud of your heritage, and that's wonderful.

Are others not allowed that same luxury?

My father had a week of "vacation" from the Vietnam war and he stayed with an Australian family. They still exchange Christmas cards.

Are your views of Americans mainly formed from comments on ATS, the Internet, or personal experience? I would submit that perhaps the Internet isn't the best place to sample the average American life. As for tourists, I think all tourists are somewhat obnoxious. That's been my experience from having lived in a tourist area my whole life.

You will always have ignorant folks to contend with. I think you've got the right idea in that you want to educate people about your country. I just think you'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

I know a few Americans. One runs a pub near where I live. There are not many in Australia but all the ones I have met have been nice. I met a very nive American girl once

Daas and I dont hate America. We are saying that your culture is arrogant and most of your people are indeed ignorant. You just dont like it because its coming from the outside. Jay Leno and Letterman often go on the street and interview Americans and ask them questions to make fun of how dumb Americans are. You guys laugh at that.

Europe is far more sophisticated. Look at their politics. have you ever watched your MSM? I find it disturbing. You are freaks. I flick between ABC and Fox News and just shake my head at you people.

As a collective,you are obnoxious,arrogant and ignorant. The European media is correct.

And dont you thin the other proud nations find it insultinf that you act like and say you are the "greatest"? Nobody else does that. We are all proud but no nation has a superiority complex like America. No nation. And we all have proud histories as well.

You were not like this before WW2. Because your media has convinced you that you saved us all from nazi you all assume you can act like obnoxious jerks. You also think you are better than other nations. You are not. That is clear.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Germanicus
reply to post by smyleegrl

Are you saying Im ant-semetic?

The star off machine would be a good idea for you guys. You are not special.

Actually, I think smyleegrl is VERY special... and intelligent and compassionate and pretty darn awesome!!

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Not anti-Semitic. Interesting response, though.

The point of the clip, as you well know, is that BOTH groups should stop with the prejudice.

This is not a slam but an honest question. There's been multiple references made about threads where Americans bash Australians. Can you post links because I've honestly never read one of these threads and I'd like to see for myself.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Actually, I think smyleegrl is VERY special... and intelligent and compassionate and pretty darn awesome!!

Thanks, my friend. Now I'm blushing....

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

You were partially agreeing with me on the first page, yet now you jump on teh bandwagon since the thread is starting to generate interest...predictable.

On the first page, I thought you were just another poster talking about the motto of "Deny Ignorance" and how many seem like they think it means they should deny that they're actually ignorant instead of what it actually means, then I find out you are from another country, slamming MY COUNTRY over something from another thread and being a big whiney baby because you didn't get your way.
Sometimes it takes a while for the truth to be uncovered. Now I see you are clearly of the former group instead of the latter and . See how that works?

I am not slamming your country. I am only slamming the many members on here who are ignorant/arrogant.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

That is because we have correct history. You don't see any historical arguments taking place on American threads because they are all indoctrinated to believe that way.

Are you kidding???? There's a 22 page thread going with people arguing about a birth certificate, the constitution and what "natural born" means full of people who are basically arguing about history and not one of them have the same version going on.
Dude, it's seriously YOU that is causing any issues here concerning Australia and if I were Australian, I'd be pretty darn angry at you for making my country look bad.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

The point of the clip, as you well know, is that BOTH groups should stop with the prejudice.

This is not a slam but an honest question. There's been multiple references made about threads where Americans bash Australians. Can you post links because I've honestly never read one of these threads and I'd like to see for myself.

"The Sneetches" was intended by Seuss as a satire of discrimination between races and cultures, and was specifically inspired by his opposition to antisemitism.

en.wikipedia.org...

"Interesting response"??? What do you imply? Shame on you. I gave you more credit.
Dont you even know what you post?

And yes I can. Wait a sec.

edit-www.abovetopsecret.com...

What Americans like to do is attack Australia by saying we mistreat Aboriginals. That is a lie. It is the only thing most Americans can think of to deflect constructive criticism of its government. I dont talk about how dumb you are or your culture much,I focus on your government. But that makes me anti-american by ATS logic.
Instead of taking contructive,on the mark criticism on board,most Americans become defensive and search their brains for a counter. The mistreating Aboriginals is the straw they grasp at. Then convicts like your friend tried earlier.
edit on 1-6-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

this is my response- GOD BLESS AMERICANS, MOST AIN'T IMPERIALISTS

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Alot of hate on america in this thread. I avoided it forever, as I knew nothing I would say would make that much of a difference in opinion. But seriously guys, this is nuts. I know our nation has it's issues. So does every nation on the frickin' globe.

And while I'm not suggesting that the world should be eternally grateful for the US, or that we don't have our moments. The people in this nation and innovations it's made literally allows you to access a world wide web and communicate to the world (not to mention your ipods, lightbulbs, cheap manufacturing, etc, etc, etc). Think about this for a moment, as I go on my tangent.

The US military built the first stages of the web. We could've easily kept it to ourselves. Thwarted attempts of other nations to build such a thing. But we didn't. At the core, the spirit of what america stands for, it's a good thing. Freedom of Speech, Religion and Press. The First Amendment. And that idea has caught on, all over the world.

It's easy to focus on the negatives of any nation. To focus on the negatives of any people. But only when we start working together, instead of blasting on each other for our differences do we grow as a human race.

You know who else liked to pick scape goats to justify their rhetoric? (For those that didn't see this answer coming from me, for shame.) Nazis. That's right, we have people acting like nazis here and now. Over 70 fricken' years later. Instead of hurling insults, and blaming all your problems on big brother, take some control in your own life. Take come control of the politics in your region. Do what you can to make the world a better place, instead of blaming the US for it's "ignorance" and "influence".

Does america have her problems? Yep. So does your nation (where ever you may be from). All people need to wake up and do something about it other than slandering foreigners. It would be a nice change of pace.

Just my humble, ignorant, american, two cents.
edit on 1-6-2012 by Lasr1oftheJedi because: because it came after I finished typing, but such a statement doesn't deserve it's own post..just an after note in one that spoke truth.

I am not slamming your country. I am only slamming the many members on here who are ignorant/arrogant.

Because hate speech, once selective, is acceptable....what a joke.
edit on 1-6-2012 by Lasr1oftheJedi because: because i was too ignorant to c/p in the right spot ^.~

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

well she just tried to label me an anti-semite.

that wasnt nice.

It was also ignorant. Like you trying to say we are a bunch of convicts.

You people are perpetuating the American Idiot stereotype. No offense. I can see you have no idea. Thats why daas wrote the thread. To help you see. America is doomed unless you people stop being delusional.

edit on 1-6-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

well she just tried to label me an anti-semit.

that wasnt nice.

It was also ignorant. Like you trying to say we are a bunch of convicts.

You people are perpetuating the American Idiot stereotype. No offense. I can see you have no idea. Thats why daas wrote the thread. To help you see. America is doomed unless you people stop being delusional.

No, she didn't. YOU took it that way but she did not imply that in any way, shape or form.
No, I didn't, I said that it originally started as a penal colony just as our state of Georgia did, (that YOU agreed with btw) how does that make all of you convicts??
The two of you have some serious issues with history vs. present and with ...well....reading comprehension.

edit on 1-6-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

No, she didn't. YOU took it that way but she did not imply that in any way, shape or form.

Really? Why did she say the response was interesting?

I just linked you proof that what I was saying was correct.

What is interesting is that Americans will link something when they do not understand exactly what it means or bother to look into it.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   

The problem comes with your use of the "collective you."

I don't watch a lot of tv but I've seen the clips asking people easy questions that obviously stump them. It's funny because it's so absurd. But I wonder....for every person who got the question wrong, how many got it right ? My guess is the correct responses ended up on the cutting floor.

If you were to ask the average American our opinion on our foreign policy, you'd get an earful. I'm generalizing here, but the average American doesn't want to be the world's policeman. We don't want to be in the middle east. We want to turn our focus and our money to fixing the problems here at home, and boy do we have a lot of problems.

I'm glad to know that there are some Americans you hold in high regard. Hopefully you'll meet more. I think if you could move past the anger at the collective American and see to the individual it might be helpful.

With respect,
smylee

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Just search through a lot of my threads

Seriously though:

North Korea directs missile towards Australia - This has to be probably the thread where the war between US and Aus picked up heat
Starts at around page 5/6/7 - Keep on reading it too, you'll see a bunch of crap lol:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Mass Brawl Erupts (This may be tongue in cheek, but still, it's a little battle with obscenities thrown by both sides):

www.abovetopsecret.com...

There are many more, i just can't be bothered with pointing out everything.

Good day to you

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

reply to post by PurpleChiten

Really? Why did she say the response was interesting?

I just linked you proof that what I was saying was correct.

What is interesting is that Americans will link something when they do not understand exactly what it means or bother to look into it.

After scrolling through 6 pages to try to figure out what in the world you were talking about... I saw finally where she said "interesting response though" concerning you taking a link about people accepting differences from a video as an antisemantic attack. She meant it was interesting that you would interpret it in that way. She was being nice as opposed to saying "What in the world are you talking about antisemantic, are you an idiot or something??" like I would say.
You are reading too much into it and making it into something it isn't.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   

The problem comes with your use of the "collective you."

I don't watch a lot of tv but I've seen the clips asking people easy questions that obviously stump them. It's funny because it's so absurd. But I wonder....for every person who got the question wrong, how many got it right ? My guess is the correct responses ended up on the cutting floor.

If you were to ask the average American our opinion on our foreign policy, you'd get an earful. I'm generalizing here, but the average American doesn't want to be the world's policeman. We don't want to be in the middle east. We want to turn our focus and our money to fixing the problems here at home, and boy do we have a lot of problems.

I'm glad to know that there are some Americans you hold in high regard. Hopefully you'll meet more. I think if you could move past the anger at the collective American and see to the individual it might be helpful.

With respect,
smylee

I have anger toward your Imperial Government and its cheerleaders.

But having said that,America is the dunce of the world. It is just how you act and how other nations see you. It has been that way for a long time but its getting worse. The European MSM are not out to get you. It is popular opinion that America as a nation is unsophisticated. Its just the way it is.

And it is why many find your country off putting. You are not special. yet you all act like you are. Its very insulting to the rest of the world.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

That post right there, is why I'm happy you decided to stay. I proudly hooked up that first star, more will follow, but i got the first ^.~

As one of those americans that does hold Germanicus in high regard, and I do, no lie. We don't always agree, but he's never been rude or negative to me, even though, I can't say the same. Good dude, really. Very intense, which, is also a good thing. Passion is needed for intelligent conversation, right?

Think about to get my first "off-topic" yeild on this post. But yeah. Nice to see ya holding up the good fight smyleegrl. And Germanicus, if I showed you anything,it was americans and the beast that is America arn't the same thing, right?

All I got to say, sorry for the interupt in the dispute...just trying to offer some kind of peace in arguement. Hostile emotions never lead to peaceful resolutions.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

No, I disagree.. Australian schools teach history incorrectly because I say so.. so by your rational you don't even have an argument. As far as anti-Australian posts on ATS, I challenge you to find a thread by an OP that is American that is even relatively as ridiculous as this one. Even if you are able to find one single thread, it will be very few and far in between.. an c'mon OP you have made it abundantly clear your motive for this thread. You can stop acting like you're the victim of unjust anti-semetism.. you created an anti-American slam fest of a thread what do you expect?

edit on 1-6-2012 by 31Bravo because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join