It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you have a supply of ramen noodles in your prep stores?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by MI5edtoDeath

Do you know that these noodles have much carbohydrates in them which are harder for the body to digest especially if you eat them dry as a snack, when wet they get large and may cause stomach pains.
Ramen noodles unfortunately are not very good for you. Each package contains about 1560 mg of sodium. To remove the water and form them into blocks, they are deep fried in palm oil which is about the most saturated fat there is.
So what makes instant ramen bad? It’s the manufacturing process.
To make things worse, the instant soup mix has more fat in it, not to mention a lot of sodium , monosodium glutamate (MSG), preservatives and other mystery ingredients. You may not be one of the people who is sensitive to the effects of MSG, but the high sodium content is definitely something be wary of.
Take a look at the nutritional information for Maruchan instant beef noodles for example, noting that they suggest a serving size of half a pack. When is the last time you ate just 1/2 a pack of instant ramen? A full pack, which is what most people have, is 380 calories, 126 of which are from fat, and most of the rest from white flour.

Cup noodles (also called cup ramen, pot noodles, etc.) are just as bad. The rather healthy sounding Nissin Chicken Flavor with Vegetable Medley have 290 calories per 1 cup serving, which come almost exclusively from fat, white flour, and sugar. And really, how satisfying is a cup noodle?

(Note: the previous label at Calorie Count had different numbers; this paragraph has been edited to reflect the new label. Also see this label reproduced on The Daily Plate, 1 cup is 1 serving, which contains 300 calories. Still, it contains 13 grams of fat (9 g saturated fat), 1060mg of sodium and the carbohydrates come from refined white flour. Do you still want to consider this a healthy snack?)

But you know, I also love potato chips, and Doritos, and even Pringles too. Do I eat them everyday as a meal? Not on your life. Do you eat a bag of potato chips or Doritos as a meal? Do you let your kids eat things like that instead of lunch?

In short, cheap instant ramen is junk food, on the same plane as potato chips. You might as well eat Twinkies or Cheese Doodles instead. Really.
I do eat noodles sometimes but not often, if i do i try to add vegetables to it. so i am not saying don't eat them I just say they are not healthy as some think. These noodles are very common in the jails and prison and most prefer them because its cheap,quick and not difficult to make, just add the mix with hot water and 2 minutes its done. Hmmm i think i eat some now....I admit they are tasty...

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Obl1vion
ramen noodles are not a good source of vitamins etc. Not good for you either... Better off buying cans of tuna, or if your really smart get cases of MRE's....

I'm old enough to have toted C-rats around. I don't recommend canned anything if there is anything else available at all.

2nd thing you have to figure.. When the SHTF its just not going to be that easy to be just eating ramen noodles....

On my own particular list of "things that won't be easy if it all goes to hell", being forced to eat ramen noodles isn't near the top...

edit on 12-5-2012 by Obl1vion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Kabayu

A gram and a half of sodium, deep fried in saturated fat? What's not to love about that - especially if you're going to be active, killing zombies and whatnot in the heat, or running away from them? I realize 380 calories ain't much, though, so I may have to double my stock on hand to account for an increased caloric intake from activity if I'm going to fuel myself on ramens for the duration.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by MI5edtoDeath

I eat Yakisoba often.

In Japanese the term translates literally to "Fried buckwheat" or "fried buckwheat noodles".

Yes apparently these noodles are fried, and this is commonplace in Japan. Also I can't help but wonder how the Japanese people have been so healthy these last few decades considering the large amount of yakisoba consumed.

As a consequence you can understandably recognize that I am skeptical of the claim that frying noodles can lead to poor health conditions, as a result of the circumstances I am a witness of.

However I am open minded that perhaps such information has eluded me thus far and that I am grossly uninformed. So I will keep this suggestion as a possibility within my mind until the facts pro and con are further clarified and weighed.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   
you know, this thread has some good moral to it, thats a good sign, 7 pages on Top Ramon guess I better star and flag up

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kabayu

So what makes instant ramen bad? It’s the manufacturing process.
To make things worse, the instant soup mix has more fat in it, not to mention a lot of sodium , monosodium glutamate (MSG), preservatives and other mystery ingredients. You may not be one of the people who is sensitive to the effects of MSG, but the high sodium content is definitely something be wary of.
Take a look at the nutritional information for Maruchan instant beef noodles for example, noting that they suggest a serving size of half a pack. When is the last time you ate just 1/2 a pack of instant ramen? A full pack, which is what most people have, is 380 calories, 126 of which are from fat, and most of the rest from white flour.

Cutting down your megapost a little if that's ok.

From what you are telling me it appears that Ramen noodles are just fine and safe for the most part.
The problems appear to stem from the poisons we sprinkle on top of it.

However, show me one mass produced food item that isn't poisonous in some respect. Now that's the real challenge.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu

On my own particular list of "things that won't be easy if it all goes to hell", being forced to eat ramen noodles isn't near the top...

Agreed.
Eating cockroaches and tree bark will be the real hard part.

Me? I'll stick with the tree bark, you can have all the bugs.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Kabayu

We are talking about emergency preparedness in reference to the Ramen Noodle type of food.

It's dry,lightweight and an easy fix when: power is gone,stores have been emptied, etc..
It's food and if little food is available you will need the fat and sodium in one of those packs.
This is after all, a survival forum.
Not really trying to make Ramen a staple. But if it comes
to that, you gotta do what you gotta do

edit on 13-5-2012 by azureskys because: add on

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
ramen noodles are not useless calories. i bodybuilt for a while and there was a period of low income. i would get 400 grams of carbs from ramen noodles and i grew. maybe not good for u but far from useless calories

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

you would not eat tree bark. okay, so you would. and in about five days the trees would be dying - then what? it seems this whole thought process of survivalism during the apocalypse only goes so far. guns won't help you, the masses of hysterical people who are starving will overwhelm you. so you can go underground, and wait for them to destroy the rest of animal and plant life, and in a few years return to, um, scorched Earth. I'm opting for the heavy doses of Heroin method of survival.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
How are you gonna cook noodles? Assuming everything went to sh*t, you think your waters gonna be left on? Negative...

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by dayve
How are you gonna cook noodles? Assuming everything went to sh*t, you think your waters gonna be left on? Negative...

Actually it will because due to my residency out in the middle of nowhere, there is a water well dug in the back and if the energy to run the pump is no longer available I have a bucket and a rope ready to go.

I may need to get more rope because I believe the well is over 200 ft deep.

But for everyone in the city? Yeah, they are screwed.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   

So...

Watcha gonna do about all those nuclear power plants that won't be operated anymore? Or the toxic run off from all the crap that will no longer be disposed of properly or leaked into the environment due to total break down of society? It's not possible. We will destroy all of the living if it isn't managed. It may take some time, but you are never immune.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by arielburns

you would not eat tree bark. okay, so you would. and in about five days the trees would be dying - then what? it seems this whole thought process of survivalism during the apocalypse only goes so far. guns won't help you, the masses of hysterical people who are starving will overwhelm you. so you can go underground, and wait for them to destroy the rest of animal and plant life, and in a few years return to, um, scorched Earth. I'm opting for the heavy doses of Heroin method of survival.

I live in the middle of the forest. There is bark everywhere and I could never even eat 1% of it.
And there are no masses of people around here, it's actually quite desolate.

Granted your predictions are true for cities or high population areas, the scope of the apocalypse will be very limited in these rural areas.

What I really have to worry about is roving bands of criminals, if the apocalypse ever happens.
But also at the same time, what thugs would waste precious limited gas resources to drive out here?
I am convinced the average Americans are too lazy to walk 20 miles to rob people, even in the apocalypse.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Originally posted by dayve

Actually it will because due to my residency out in the middle of nowhere, there is a water well dug in the back and if the energy to run the pump is no longer available I have a bucket and a rope ready to go.

I may need to get more rope because I believe the well is over 200 ft deep.

But for everyone in the city? Yeah, they are screwed.

You got lucky with that one. Ill just carry around my Katadyn pocket filter with me and drink wherever i want.... Even the creek. Noodles n rice everyday

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by arielburns

So...

Watcha gonna do about all those nuclear power plants that won't be operated anymore? Or the toxic run off from all the crap that will no longer be disposed of properly or leaked into the environment due to total break down of society? It's not possible. We will destroy all of the living if it isn't managed. It may take some time, but you are never immune.

If all of the power plants have meltdowns the only hope for survival is the Moon Colony (or anything like that).
It would only take a few decades for the pollution to make reproduction in the species near to impossible.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by dayve

My nephew eats Ramen in the middle of the night uncooked. He seems to like it.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   

If society is damaged that badly, the power plants will have melt downs. And natural disaster is the most likely cause for the apocalypse so you can bet it won't be long. We are so, so stupid. One of those rods from a nuclear reactor can wipe out billions. And we have countless, countless of them. Moon colony? And eat what? Do what? I'm telling you - you don't have long anyway. You're slated to die within a few decades, well, maybe more than a few, but it goes fast. I wouldn't worry about it. Sure, it could happen any day. And any day I know how to utilize carbon monoxide to my favor. :-)

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by dayve

You got lucky with that one. Ill just carry around my Katadyn pocket filter with me and drink wherever i want.... Even the creek. Noodles n rice everyday>>

mmm, sounds like you're the man I'll be looking for! I mean, I hate life as it is, I can't imagine trying to live like that. I can handle the thought of living in a nomadic tribe, or some natural self sustained group - but meandering around with noodles is a big NO. tell me, are you that happy, comedic and bring the party no matter what or are you afraid of the dark? (that's an honest question)

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   

I posted earlier, a friend's dad wrote a book on the futility of thinking about those survival methods. Oh you would be getting plenty of people, and right away. They would move away from the city so fast and invade all the natural forests. It was something like a matter of a month before all the crops and animals would be dead - simply because they could not be cared for and would be eaten. After that it would be the trees. Maybe six months - but the food requirements for people are immense given our population. You might be able to make a small army and pick them off as they approach the forest? But we're talking families. You won't do it. Even if it's slower, say years, it would get to you and your forest. I need to remember that book -- I'll try to find that research. It is my opinion, but then again I base that off of how messed up people would act in the face of that kind of crisis. I don't think anyone is safe!

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join