It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama Affirms His Support for Same Sex Marriage

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nite_wing
Is this called flip-flopping or do liberals have some other name for it?

OCTOBER 2004: What I believe is that marriage is between a man and a woman …

OCTOBER 2010: I have been to this point unwilling to sign on to same-sex marriage primarily because of my understandings of the traditional definitions of marriage.

JUNE 2011: " The president has never favored same-sex marriage. He is against it.

MAY 2012: it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same-sex couples should be able to get married.

It is called evolving,

Carney refused to disclose when Obama actually completed the process of "evolving" towards support for gay marriage. "I don’t have a specific date for you," he said.

edit on 053131p://bThursday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Freenrgy2

You want religion to accept this and say its o.k.

I am in love with the idea of a government of the people, by the people, for the people...

Not just a government for some people and by some people

Go ahead and hate the idea if you must - you're free to do so. But, the point of all this isn't to force religion to do anything. The point of all this is to have a government that works for everyone - all of us

Every citizen should be free - and religious folk don't get the final say on what is and isn't OK for everyone

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
Real question: Why didn't he say this 4 years ago?

Real answer: he did.

February 11, 2004: As a Senate candidate, Obama wrote in a Windy City Times letter to the editor that he found the Defense Against Marriage Act to be "abhorrent."

"It should be repealed and I will vote for its repeal on the Senate floor. I will also oppose any proposal to amend the U.S. Constitution to ban gays and lesbians from marrying. This is an effort to demonize people for political advantage, and should be resisted ," wrote Obama.

• June, 5, 2006: On the Senate floor, Obama said he believed that marriage was between a man and a woman but that legislation prohibiting gay marriage was a political wedge.

"This is not what the majority of the American people want. And this is not about trying to build consensus in this country; it's not about trying to bring people together," he said.

hotlineoncall.nationaljournal.com...

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
He "supports" it now, because it's an election year, like any politician would.

I have no use for "flip-floppers" and both Romney and Obama are exactly that.

And I have no problem with gay marriage, but don't come out with this nonsense of "After deep reflection, blah blah blah....." He did what every career politician does. Looked at what would be most politically beneficial to him.

I'd have more respect for politicians if they just came out and said "I'm doing this because I want to stay in office."
edit on 10-5-2012 by Darkrunner because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Of course Oboma would support gay marriage. Here are the two reasons why:

1) Its voting time soon!!!

2) HE is a homo himself..closet homo.

Simple as that!!

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkrunner

Yea, it is so obvious, maybe he should have supported it two years ago, avoid suspicion.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Six6Six

HE is a homo himself..closet homo.

How nice of you to let your homophopia show so plainly.

It's funny how some people think they are being clever with an insult...and they are just making themselves look stupid.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeventhSeal

Originally posted by Nite_wing

OCTOBER 2004: What I believe is that marriage is between a man and a woman …

OCTOBER 2010: I have been to this point unwilling to sign on to same-sex marriage primarily because of my understandings of the traditional definitions of marriage.

JUNE 2011: " The president has never favored same-sex marriage. He is against it.

MAY 2012: it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same-sex couples should be able to get married.

He was never against civil unions, he just never believed it should be legalized on a federal level. In fact, he STILL doesn't say that.

So, no...no flip flopping here. Good try though bro

----> OCTOBER 2004: "What I believe is that marriage is between a man and a woman"

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
In all honestly, who cares.

Let homosexuals get married, adopt - whatever....this is small potatoes. All this is going to do is rally the Christian Conservatives and their liberal counterparts.

The economy, jobs, smaller government and cutting spending is what needs to be addressed. The US is lucky that the globe is looking at the economic woes of Europe, but that won't last forever. Eventually eyes will start to look to the US ever increasing debt and their inability to address their flawed economic policies.....and if that happens, no one is going to care about homosexuality, or abortion or many other issues. People will be more concerned where their next meal is coming from.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   

There is also a challenge to the Defense of Marriage Act, which bars gay men and woman from receiving federal marriage benefits and allows states to refuse to recognize valid gay marriages performed in other states. Judge Andrew Napolitano called this 'settled law" because the Federal Courts have upheld the validity of interracial marriages when some states sought to ban them on FOX. He's right. Obama new position on Gay marriage undercuts the pro-marriage arguments in those cases.
,Team Obama knows that African Americans overwhelmingly oppose gay marriage equality and fear that a more sweeping forthright stand by the President might put Ohio Colorado, North Carolina and Virginia out of reach. Obama could take a lesson in leadership from Governor Andrew Cuomo who brought Republicans and Democrats together to make same-sex marriage legal in New York State. Instead Obama tries to have it both ways.
stonezone.com...
Barack Obama is playing a cruel and cynical game with peoples lives and happiness. He did nothing to establish that gay marriage is a right yesterday.

I didn't know African Americans opposed gay marriage.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Gobama!

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkrunner
He "supports" it now, because it's an election year, like any politician would

That's BS.

I follow gay equality very closely.

LBGTQ representatives have been visiting and discussing their issues with Obama all along - - from the beginning.

Obama said "if you have an issue - - make me pay attention" - - - the LBGTQ did exactly that. And have continued to do exactly that from the beginning.

When he says he has evolved in understanding gay issues - - - he's being honest.

IMO - - this is a pure statement of his personal integrity.

edit on 10-5-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide

The economy, jobs, smaller government and cutting spending is what needs to be addressed. The US is lucky that the globe is looking at the economic woes of Europe, but that won't last forever. Eventually eyes will start to look to the US ever increasing debt and their inability to address their flawed economic policies.....and if that happens, no one is going to care about homosexuality, or abortion or many other issues. People will be more concerned where their next meal is coming from.

Exactly!

So tell the Christian Right to grow up.

edit on 10-5-2012 by Annee because: DAMN QUOTES!

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiramirabilis

You want religion to accept this and say its o.k.

I am in love with the idea of a government of the people, by the people, for the people...

Not just a government for some people and by some people

Go ahead and hate the idea if you must - you're free to do so. But, the point of all this isn't to force religion to do anything. The point of all this is to have a government that works for everyone - all of us

Every citizen should be free - and religious folk don't get the final say on what is and isn't OK for everyone

So, government should only recognize civil unions FOR ALL unions for the purpose of benefits.

Quit trying to twist this.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Quit trying to twist this.

twist what?

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Most Gays were already Obama-bots. Does this mean the two Gay Republicans will now vote for Obama?

More importantly, will the Gays now stop whining about the trampling of their "civil rights"?

I'm so tired of hearing of this petty non-issue when the world is falling apart.

The Gays will get their "right" to marry (it's only a matter of time) and probably rue the day.

Just think -- someday we can watch "Gay Divorce Court"

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by AuranVector

More importantly, will the Gays now stop whining about the trampling of their "civil rights"?

OMG

Wanting the same rights as everyone - - - is whining.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
So why are people still posting about this issue?

Even the MSM said this issue was a waste of time...Bad timing...When we get a better President we will all be happy..Even the gays...It's a win win situation. We will all be happy...

This argument is becoming childish.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by KonquestAbySS
So why are people still posting about this issue?

Even the MSM said this issue was a waste of time...Bad timing...When we get a better President we will all be happy..Even the gays...It's a win win situation. We will all be happy...

This argument is becoming childish.

Yeah well - - I'm 100% voting for Obama.

I'm 100% voting for his gay rights announcement

And since I'm 65 - - - I'm beyond childish.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
People commending a President for weighing in on a religious institution such as marriage

Since when does marriage equality take precedent over separation of church and state???

Could break my neck if i shook my head any harder....

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join