It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama Affirms His Support for Same Sex Marriage

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

This solidifies my decision to vote for him again.

I had you pegged for Romney. What gives??

How do you feel about Obama's safety net? It is still a State issue in his mind. It's just lip service and hot air.

edit on 9-5-2012 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

The funny thing is, everything is a state issue as far as Ron Paul is concerned - everything. He won't have to risk showing an opinion one way or another in the fantasy land of him being president and none of those that worship him on ATS seem to have a problem with that. Where's the outcry on that then?

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
The VP supported gay marriage!

Okay .. I found something ....

Gay conversion therapy story

Over the weekend, Vice President Joe Biden said he is "absolutely comfortable" with same-sex couples getting the same rights as heterosexual couples.

Boston.Com

Obama’s position on same-sex marriage has vacillated over the years. He endorsed gay marriage during a 1996 run for the Illinois Senate, then opposed it when he ran for US Senate in 2004 and for president in 2008. ...

Biden stated plainly during a vice presidential debate with Republican Sarah Palin in 2008 that neither “Barack Obama nor I support redefining, from a civil side, what constitutes marriage. We do not support that.’’

On Sunday, Biden appeared to soften the collective stance of the Democratic ticket but tried not to overstep his authority. “Look, I am vice president of the United States of America. The president sets the policy,’’ Biden said. “I am absolutely comfortable with the fact that men marrying men, women marrying women, and heterosexual men and women marrying [one] another are entitled to the same exact rights, all the civil rights, all the civil liberties. And, quite frankly, I don’t see much of a distinction beyond that.’’

Some gay rights activists characterized the vice president’s remarks as a seal of approval on same-sex marriage. But Biden’s office said after the interview that his words should be interpreted merely as an assertion that gay couples deserve the same rights and protections as their heterosexual counterparts.

That's 'getting the same rights' ... not 'in favor of gay marriage'.
Looks like he doesn't consider marriage to be a 'right' ...

eta ....

This solidifies my decision to vote for him again.

Comeon ... were you ever really NOT going to??

edit on 5/10/2012 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by KonquestAbySS
Still doesn't answer my question on how Obama thinks this is going to change anything for him...

Did Obama say he thinks this is going to change something for him? Did I miss something?

I have never been more proud of my president! He stood up for equality, even though it may lose him some independent votes. This solidifies my decision to vote for him again.

And this, of course, is why he did this. He throws gays a bone(pardon the pun) and gets to look all misty-eyed and wistful, standing up to the mean ole
bigots who oppose gay marriage. Just in time for November. Lemme say this: I don't give a # about gay marriage, it's not my issue. But, as a political dissenter, someone who disagrees, strongly, with US foreign policy; our relationship with Israel;, someone who believes 9/11 was a false flag etc; since this president believes that he can use the military to arrest americans(NDAA), assassinate Americans without due process guaranteed under the 5th amendment(al-alawi and his son plus god knows who else); I'm much more concerned about ending up in one of the FEMA camps that are coming, or just catching a hellfire missile to the face via drone strike(you don't really think they're just for surveillance, do you?)for opposing the state, than I am about Adam and Steve.
edit on 10-5-2012 by LightsideAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Originally posted by FlyersFan
At the VP debates with Gov. Palin, Biden said he didn't support gay marriage but that he supported gay partner rights ... like visitation rights at the hospital and insurance, etc etc. Palin and Biden actually said they agreed with each other. I remember seeing the exchange on TV. Did he change his mind?

Here's what he said:

Biden stated plainly during a vice presidential debate with Republican Sarah Palin in 2008 that neither “Barack Obama nor I support redefining, from a civil side, what constitutes marriage. We do not support that.’’

Neither of them supported legal action to redefine marriage in 2008. He wasn't talking about his personal opinion. Last week, he stated a personal opinion, saying that he is "comfortable" with equal civil rights and liberties. He didn't mention anything about legal action or the redefinition of marriage.

Source

Ugh .. *shudder* .... Mika Brzezinski .... Sorry, excuse me, I just vomited in my mouth a bit ...

Yes, I know.
But I like to watch a little bit of the cable news to see what they're pushing this week (I don't watch that morning show because I don't like either one of them). I saw FOX pushing Obama's "War on Marriage" yesterday...
It's hilarious! First they talk about Obama's "War on Marriage", but when Shepherd Smith says the right has long been on the wrong side of this issue, they changed their headline immediately. Oops!

Headlines Here

Anyways, I agree with ya that it will cost him votes. I still think that considering we are
dealing with poltiicians there has to be a purpose to his statement.

You may be right. In the interview, he talked about how his daughters' friend has gay parents and they were talking about it at dinner table... I find it VERY easy for me to believe that his daughters and his wife have more to do with his position than politics. But his interview about it? I'm pretty comfortable with the idea that North Carolina's action has sparked this discussion up again. Did he use it to his advantage? Most likely. 99.999999% of politicians would.

You know, I've ALWAYS understood that he's a politician... and all that entails...

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Comeon ... were you ever really NOT going to??

It's true, At the beginning of this cycle, when Ron Paul was an option, I seriously considered voting for him. Maybe you weren't posting a lot then, but I was asking about him and reading a LOT about his positions and history. I loved some of his ideas and still do. But the more I found out about him, the more I was turned off.
edit on 5/10/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Reality check for those who believe in Obama's "evolution" or perhaps "devolution"

Take, for instance, a Windy City Times article from 1996, in which Obama, then a candidate for the Illinois State Senate, affirmed his ”unequivocal support for gay marriage.”

“I favor legalizing same-sex marriages, and would fight efforts to prohibit such marriages,” Obama proclaimed in an interview with the newspaper (in a separate survey for a gay political group, he also issued the same sentiment).

Curiously, by 1998 — just two years later — Obama’s “favor” had turned lukewarm on the issue. During yet another election cycle, he answered that his position on the issue was “undecided.”

In 2004 (yes, another election year), Obama took a more middle-ground route, as he publicly supported domestic partnerships and civil unions. He also took the opportunity to say that, unlike his statement in 1998, he did not support gay marriage. “I am a fierce supporter of domestic-partnership and civil-union laws,” he said. “I am not a supporter of gay marriage as it has been thrown about primarily just as a strategic issue.”

Hmmm catch that last part.

“I am a fierce supporter of domestic-partnership and civil-union laws,” he said. “I am not a supporter of gay marriage as it has been thrown about primarily just as a strategic issue.”

“I am not in favor of gay marriage,” Obama said. “But when you start playing around with constitutions, just to prohibit somebody who cares about another person, it just seems to me that’s not what America’s about.”

In 2010, after already assuming the White House, Obama began to set the groundwork, it seems, for an “evolution” on the issue. Only, at no point did he mention the 1996 endorsement he purportedly gave same-sex unions. In fact, while discussing the issue, he acted as though he had always held a position against gay marriage.

“I have been to this point unwilling to sign on to same-sex marriage primarily because of my understandings of the traditional definitions of marriage,” he said. “But I also think you’re right that attitudes evolve, including mine.”

The rest is Obama history.... Remember all of that the next time Obama opens his mouth.

As The Blaze has already reported, Obama’s campaign quickly sent a fundraising e-mail, Tweeted and began promoting the president’s “newfound” stance on the issue.

Considering this past history, one wonders if the press will take the time to explore the motivations behind the president’s constant ideological changes — particularly during electoral cycles.

www.theblaze.com...

He raised $1 million in 90 minutes. Woo Hoo!
www.buzzfeed.com...

Officially part of his campaign now!! Wow! Didn't see that coming
www.barackobama.com... ail=ericalynnjennings%40gmail.com&zip=84604&keycode=

Bye Bye!!

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I wonder if Berry is finally going to come out as our gay president - after that scandal in Mexico about using professionals - I bet there was a boy in that group of girls!

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
It's no surprise that a Democratic President supports gay marriage...and it's no surprise that he came out to side with it during election season.

Either way, this is a step into the right direction. Let's just hope his actions are louder than his words.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Sasha and Malia influenced his stance on same-sex marriage

www.cbsnews.com...

I don't think he was ever for it, I don't think he is for it now, or,

WHY would he need convincing?

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

He also offered the same response that Ron Paul has been saying for years. Obama thinks it should be up to the states. So Obama came out in support, but offered the same solution that Ron Paul offered (and the Dems had been admonishing as not enough).

So again.. less and less reason to vote Obama, more reason to vote Ron Paul.

Obama's plan for supporting gay marriage is the same plan as Ron Paul's who was offering the same freedom long ago.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Political pandering. Nothing more.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Liberal philosophy = double standards and two faces...

edit on 10-5-2012 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
No surprise coming from a man who was allegedly caught in the back seat of a car with another man.

There really is a dearth of principled and respectable men in public office nowadays.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I think he was forced to come out for gay marriage before the election. I also think he has always been for it, At least in a civil rights way. He locked up the gay vote when he got rid of Don't ask Don't Tell IMO. This issue will garner him some donations but lose some votes with the Black and Religious community's. He was better off waiting till after the election to come out for gay marriage IMO. I think the base and his VP backed him into a corner. This is a very touchy subject with some people and I feel his 2008 for Civil Unions against Gay Marriage was his strongest position politically and should have carried that stance till after the elections.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
This is just to get more voters!
he should make child abuse legal.
he would get a Lot of votes. but would lose just as many.
ALL the Catholics votes.
as the Catholics Church allows child abuse.

I am angry becuse he is using gays!

edit on 10-5-2012 by buddha because: aliens made me do it

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Nightwalk

Can you provide a link for your statment? Or are you making the whole thing up?

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I find it a little too coincidental that Obama flip-flops on his position on gay marriage two days after the major GLBT groups threaten to withhold donations to his campaign. If he truly has changed his view that the government should not be in the marriage business, then good for him. Although, I seriously doubt it.

Realistically, this will have zero affect on the vote. There are very few in this country that will make gay marriage the issue that determines their vote. Most will determine their vote based on if there is a D or and R after the candidate's name. The rest will vote based on real issues like jobs, taxes, national defense, etc.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by braindeadconservatives

Right

Forget that from 2006 to 2010 Democrats held the majority in Congress in the House and they Sill hold Control in the Senate.

So during the first 2 years of the OBama administration they had ample time to "do something" about gay rights and chose other things to pursue.

Which pretty much puts the LGBT way down on the list except when they can score political points and get some cash for a campaign in dire need of funds.

It won't be enough. The GOP SuperPacs are ready to go.

David Axelrod is already complaining.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Real question: Why didn't he say this 4 years ago?

Because 4 years ago, an SNL actress and Katie Couric buried his competition for him...and the only requirement for being elected President was to NOT be a Republican.

Also, he doesn't actually believe in it, if you go by his previous statements on it. He is simply sticking his finger in the wind to see which way it's going.

While I feel it's a long time coming, and we'll see it legal within a decade, Obama just made the first mistake of this campaign, as he just drove millions of religious zealots over to Romney's side. Thing is, unlike a lot of lackadaisical liberal young folks, these fundies will VOTE. We've seen it before. Morally, the right thing to do, but campaign-wise, an error to be sure.

Even still though, as much as I feel Obama's been a do-nothing President (as I predicted he'd be), more than that, I feel Romney is a total crook, and just a slimy dude in general. I'm still voting my conscience, even though I know he won't get elected, but you all have fun deciding between the two crap choices the mass media says you only have.

He also offered the same response that Ron Paul has been saying for years. Obama thinks it should be up to the states. So Obama came out in support, but offered the same solution that Ron Paul offered (and the Dems had been admonishing as not enough).

So again.. less and less reason to vote Obama, more reason to vote Ron Paul.

Obama's plan for supporting gay marriage is the same plan as Ron Paul's who was offering the same freedom long ago.

That's it in a nutshell.
edit on 10-5-2012 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

The all important - independents - moved toward Romney long before the gay marriage

distraction.

It's over.

Rasmussen: Romney 49% / Obama 45%

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by garygnu
I wonder if Berry is finally going to come out as our gay president -

The tabloids already beat you to that ... google up the murdered church organist Donald Young.
Members of Obama's Church Killed
ETA .. he wouldn't be the first. Buchanan is widely believed to have been gay.

edit on 5/10/2012 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join