It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama Affirms His Support for Same Sex Marriage

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
gma.yahoo.com...

President Obama today announced that he now supports same-sex marriage, reversing his longstanding opposition amid growing pressure from the Democratic base and even his own vice president.
"I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbors when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together, when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that Don't Ask Don't Tell is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married,”

Good on you Obama...it's about time. It's not going to be popular with a section of the democrat party, but with the recent ammendment voted on in North Carolina...I think it was time for him to come out and state his support.

Same sex marriage isn't even a hot topic button for me...just one of those things that I don't understand why people oppose so passionately.

I see this helping out Obama's base for the election, but it will give Romney and the republicans ammunition to fire up their base as well. Obama may have won some left leaning independents with this...but I don't think the Republicans gain much from this.

+35 more 
posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Headline:
President Obama Endorses Same-Sex Marriage

Reason:
To score more votes,for his reelection.

Real question: Why didn't he say this 4 years ago?

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

I don't know...you will have to ask him that.

But like I said...the Republicans are getting a little crazy by passing amendments to State Constitutions to limit people's freedoms...so I think it was a good time for him to step in and take a stand.

Remember, this wouldn't be an issue if the Republicans didn't have outdated thinking...so don't put all the blame on Obama for this being an election issue.

+10 more 
posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Good. It is long overdue.

People that oppose gay marriage make no sense to me. Especially if you are supposed to be about freedom for everyone. The same people that cry about government intrusion have no problem telling people who they can or cannot marry.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
AND.... He still believes that it is up to the individual STATES to decide! Will he offer an opinion regarding North Carolina?

The president stressed that this is a personal position, and that he still supports the concept of states deciding the issue on their own. But he said he’s confident that more Americans will grow comfortable with gays and lesbians getting married, citing his own daughters’ comfort with the concept.

news.yahoo.com...

We'll see about that... 3..2..1.. in comes the DOJ again...

Or... Perhaps he's just pandering for votes and money

Some leading gay and progressive donors are so angry over President Obama’s refusal to sign an executive order barring same sex discrimination by federal contractors that they are refusing to give any more money to the pro-Obama super PAC, a top gay fundraiser’s office tells me. In some cases, I’m told, big donations are being withheld.

Jonathan Lewis, the gay philanthropist and leading Democratic fundraiser, is one of many gay advocates who has been working behind the scenes to pressure Obama to change his mind. When Obama decided against the executive order last month, arguing that he would pursue a legislative solution instead, advocates were furious — such a solution will never pass Congress, the executive order has been a priority for advocates for years, and the move smacked of a political cave to conservatives who will not support Obama no matter what he does.

www.washingtonpost.com...

Obama is easily motivated ... He was just waiting for the right motivator to change his mind

ETA
Now that he has changed his opinion... What next? Does it even matter if he still believes it is a STATE Issue?

edit on 9-5-2012 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-5-2012 by jibeho because: add content

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

I see this helping out Obama's base for the election, but

Though this seems to be an issue for gay people only. How does his support for gay marriage help our economy as a whole?
edit on 9-5-2012 by KonquestAbySS because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by KonquestAbySS

Though this seems to be an issue for gay people only. How does his support for gay marriage help our economy?

Marriage is a big business. People spend large amounts of money on ceremonies, honeymoons and related items. By making gay marriage legal, you increase the potential customers and profit for businesses which focus on weddings and honeymoons.
edit on 9-5-2012 by Kaploink because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

A day late and a dollar short, if you don't mind the observation.

Obama obviously hoped that the NC vote would save him having to commit on this subject... kind of like how Lincoln was ready to allow slavery if he could save the Union otherwise.

Our heroes are created by myth...

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaploink

Marriage is a big business.

And so is the mortuary business...Still doesn't answer my question on how Obama thinks this is going to change anything for him...

+10 more 
posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
It's good that he came out (so to speak). However, announcing it 6 months before the election instead of 4 years before is clearly nothing more than a political tool. I feel sorry for anyone that believes a word that comes out of his mouth.

/TOA

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by KonquestAbySS

The biggest supporters of gay marriage are the lawyers... and despite what is being circulated, gay unions are no more or less secure than any other. The lawyers make millions from divorce... now they have a whole new field to plow, lol.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Headline:
President Obama Endorses Same-Sex Marriage

Reason:
To score more votes,for his reelection.

And if he didn't - - "you and yours" would say he was afraid of losing the religious vote.

Or something like that.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

It won't. Obama is tap dancing around every major issue possible and postponing everything else until after the election. He can't defend his own record nor can his supporters so he focuses on distractions.

Time for our nation's media to raise some critical questions of Obama and they can start with this issue. His flip flop will only serve himself in the form of supporters and donations. Obama has no plans for any executive decisions on this matter. Just lip service. He'll gladly take their vote and their money....

edit on 9-5-2012 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

The biggest supporters of gay marriage are the lawyers...

So he thinks that cherry picking on issues such as gay marriage is going to gain him more support, because of the lawyers backing on this issue? I think something like this should raise suspicion even in the gay community. The question they should be asking is, why all of the sudden now, and not 4 years ago?...

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by KonquestAbySS
Still doesn't answer my question on how Obama thinks this is going to change anything for him...

Did Obama say he thinks this is going to change something for him? Did I miss something?

I have never been more proud of my president! He stood up for equality, even though it may lose him some independent votes. This solidifies my decision to vote for him again.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
How does spporting gay marriage help our economy?
How does it solve the 25% unemployment?

And finally, how can he tax it?

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Did Obama say he thinks this is going to change something for him? Did I miss something?

His motto was change, was it not? He did change, his stance...

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Personally, I don't give a flying rat's ass either way. If homosexuals wed... my life won't change. If the gay community rolls over on its ear because they don't get what they want? No problem.

What I care about is the process and our ability to work within it. You give it your shot and if you win? hell yeah! But if not? Please don't hang your snotty cry rag on my door knob.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Liar Liar Pants on Fire!

State Rights eh?

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Maybe Obama can make it so you can pay the caterers for gay weddings with food stamps!

2nd

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join