It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist, deharmonizing the harmony of the spheres

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by SisyphusRide

Well that was pretty agressive in itself wouldn't you say? And, just remind me, when was the last time an Atheist blew something up, went on a crusade or started a war for that matter? And creationism? Totally laughable and utterly ridiculous. I say each to their own but don't hurt anybody or try and force your beliefs on anyone else in the process. You, my friend, are small minded and an imbecile! Rant complete

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by GuidedKill
I now never tell them I am Atheist and no longer want to attend. I made that mistake one to many times.

Right. Its kind of a singular personal journey. And not something many Atheist's outwardly express. I've only met one other Atheist personally.

When believers talk about all the Atheists they are so offended by - - - I want to know where they meet them.

No one ever recruited me to be an Atheist. To be honest in my environment I had never met one. I had questions about my religion and faith, did my own research, and it lead me to become Atheist.

Me too. My search for god - - lead me to Atheism.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by SerialVelocity
It's funny...I don't see many Atheists committing this kind of thing in the name of their beliefs:

Atrocities Committed in the Name of Religion

Capt Obvious says see STALIN. There are more but even a 5th grader could pull this one out of his arse.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

God killed everyone but one family..... And the jewish kings murdered everyone around them that wasnt circumsized. You should read you bible more....

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

There was just to many questions the bible could not answer for me as well. It feels good to be able to say I have tried both views.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by GuidedKill
IMO it seems what you call "attacks" come more from people who follow religion. I have never had an atheist leave pamphlets on my door or come by at 8 AM Saturday morning pushing their agenda. I have never had an Atheist come up to me on the street handing out propaganda. I have never had an Atheist offer free rides home to college students out drinking only to get them trapped in a van with 8 missionaries pushing their agenda.

Now I have seen just about every major religion involved in the tactics mentioned above. Show me once where an Atheist has done what I mentioned. Even one example would surprise me to be honest and even then it is no where on the level major religions push their agenda.

Yet they pay for advertising attacking peoples' religion in public areas. I'm sure they're not doing that out of their concern for "truth" or the kindness of their hearts towards those that believe. If say the Westboro Baptist church does something, redundant here, stupid, it gets condemned by a vast majority of believers. If atheists post an advertisement condemning god in hebrew in a predominantly Jewish neighborhood, like some Jihadists a large portion of atheists go around patting each other on the back. For being the "science minded" and "logical" ones, more should be expected.

But in the end, you have smart religious/spiritual people and stupid ones, and smart atheists and stupid ones. It's probably fair to say the stupid ones are the problem.

edit on 4/22/2012 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Ok.. I'm an Atheist and after fumbling though 10 pages of drivel from both sides i believe both sides are wrong and right, there are both types of people passive and aggressive on both the theist and atheist. Personally I'm a passive. I don't force my belief on others and i just nod and smile politely when some on religious starts to spout off about there god(s).

But this is what I believe....

Most atheist though forget the facts like the bible is a book of borrowed stories based on a lot older set of stories, granted nothing but to spur control for the church over a group of people looking for guidance but never less the stories MAY have actually happened.

Example : Noah's ark ... the story is much older than we think... examples in all major religions... a big flood .. a person builds a big boat to save as much as they can .... the story is well over 8,000 yrs old .. look it up...

Example : virgin birth..... the Egyptians and Babylonians had that one too! look it up....

Example : garden of Eden.... yup that too Babylonians as well ....

Really look at the facts and see Christianity is nothing but a BORROWED religion ... Ah ha! and most of the others too....

So why are we getting so wound up? There go the Christians spouting off trying to gain power again.... you christian guys are loosing, the facts are amassing against you. Just go home the world is waking up.... if you stopped and thought for a moment you just might "see" a little better......

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   
All I see is so much religiosity and dogmatism in the attempts to protect labels. If these labels make you what you are then it's a sad state of affairs.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ramble

The problem though is that, in the Tanakh alone there are 5 different ways/methods, if memory serves, for reading scripture. How can that be grasped? Then another problem arises when atheists make judgements on an entire religion, and even all religions even though they might know one to a small degree. It's more an issue with themselves and there's a tendency to take their own misgivings and externalizing it and applying it to everything outside.

I respected Christopher Hitchens and the like because they study and know what they're talking about. Christians get criticized, and fairly so more than likely, for treating their texts like a EULA where you never read it, but just hit agree. Atheists tend to do something similar. That's why I don't find religious people/athiest people all that different, similar to how on here we have a tendency to say dem/repubs are the same...yet we still fight over each camp.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   
It's a comeuppance that's been waiting for the last several millenia. We stand at a precipice in time where the throngs of magical thinking individuals who have divorced themselves from a natural and rational world view are having to live with having their legs cut out from under them.

The most advanced societies are no longer under the yolk of violence and ignorance that theism has used to crush the spirits of men for so long, no longer is it acceptable to break the bodies of men, to see them burned and other horrors wrought against them for simply holding ideas and challenging the weakness of superstition.

You may believe 95% of individuals are possessed by some form of dogma but it is simply no longer true, those without faith have waited on the wind for these days and will use logic and reason to dig up the shallow roots of religion. We have all too much history to look back at to show us how much damage has been done to the spirit and psyche of man by the institutions that separate them from this earth and from one another.

Stalin, Mao, and others replaced god with the state, we seek to replace god with the human mind and heart. This is only the beginning and yet we have shown already in such a short time that our voices shall make your swords and inhumanity into the plowshares of a new and better man, devoid of the poison of religion but full of true and pure spirituality.
edit on 22-4-2012 by LaughingatHumanity because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Trollers gonna troll, Haters gonna hate...

Lets see if we can crack their minds open a little with some education.
The following videos, show a history of God, and religion in general.

Enjoy!

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
this topic made it to the top o the charts!

I must be really cool? like an atheist...

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23

Originally posted by SisyphusRide
anyone ever realize that atheist are some pretty vicious individuals? in meaning they love to attack the over 95% of the population which have a theistic belief system (which is usually based on respect and appreciation of life.)

is it a conspiracy here on ATS or is it just me...

maybe I could have put this in the rant section... then again atheist love to invade our turf and attack my brethren and sisters.

signed ...the mighty messenger!

Actually, I don't attack every theistic religion. I only challenge Judaic systems.

I myself believe in a god. Just not yours. It's like this line says (and you can't deny that it is accurate, given your god's track record)

"I believe in god, I just don't believe he's the bloodthirsty ***hole you make him out to be."

that good starchild... myself I only attack the Pope and wanna-be cool atheist's

you believe in God that's good enough for me.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheGrandWarlock

im not an atheist, but i can see where they're coming from.
i think its time we say enough with the ignorance and the prejudice.
even though religion talks about harmony, its anything but.
its followers are some of the most hateful and arrogant that I and many others have encountered.

Most atheists (that i've met) are somewhat rude/mean, but theyre good people with good intentions and that is to free society from the blinding shackles of religion.

I am not religious I'm sorry... I am not speaking on anyone's behalf or representing any institution other than Heavy Metal.

that's my religion

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River

reply to post by SaturnFX

I was born into sin... I will pelt the atheist's with bricks!

you work like steel too, just sitting on the sidelines.

man I am just getting back to this topic... gonna take me awhile to respond to the mass inbox I'm having.

I worked a bit later yesterday but I'm Baaaaaakkk (here's Johnny)

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

reply to post by SaturnFX

I was born into sin... I will pelt the atheist's with bricks!

I am trying to figure out if your just rambling incoherently, or if I am simply missing the point as to what your writing.

You want to throw bricks at atheists? ok...that is assault btw. just sayin.

that's the problem with an atheist... they can't think outside the box let alone understand or even wield light metaphor.

talk about being square!

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxSouthernGirlxx
I don't know what exactly that means. Oh well. At least I keep to myself and don't know knocking on strangers doors trying to get them to "see the light". I try to get along with everyone and help anyone I can. I don't care what god they believe in.

it means are you guys having fun yet?

I know I am

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by lifeform11

you mean you like to stick to people who agree with you and see those who don't as your enemy?

actually it means that a majority of the 2% to 3% real world minority of cool atheist are online because their life is so meaningful and they change the world on a level the other 95+% of the worlds feeble minds can not fathom.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Both atheists and Christians are delusional. Atheists routinely make claims about Christianity and other religions that are patently false, and yes, try to kill millions of believers. In addition, Atheists somehow think it is okay to kill babies through abortion. I still don't understand how that is moral. One of the basic human rights is the right to live and being killed, as a baby, by your own mother, just doesn't seem okay except in certain circumstances.

Christians ignore science, and ignore cause-and-effect morality. Their views of morals are not based on what is rational, or what can be proven, but aged laws passed down through generations that should be updated because we have learned a lot since they were written. In essence, they go out of their way to ignore Truth. Especially lately, it seems like religious people have taken a sharp turn towards the extreme, with the Catholic Church recently reprimanding a group of its own for thinking that women should be treated equally to men, and Christians not allowing gay marriage. These are not the way of the real Lord. This is the way of organized religion that has gone insane and forgotten how to love and how to reason.

edit on 22-4-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Avalessa

I'm not an atheist but I defend it the second someone calls an atheist or any non-Christian a name or belittles them. I.e. godhatesgoths.com

rawr! now that's what I'm talking about...

God loves Goths and I do too!

bring back Elvira please

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join