It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist, deharmonizing the harmony of the spheres

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by madhatr137

You're committing an informal fallacy there. The claims of truth in Christianity have nothing to do with what people have done in the past for the name of Christianity. Again I use the example, Stalin was an atheist and killed millions of his own people. Does that mean atheism is wrong?

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by madhatr137
I can't imagine being a Christian.

The Cognotive Dissonance that must be internally generated by simultaneous being a member of the most historically dominant cult throughout all of recorded history AND being able to somehow continue to play the victim-card for over two millennia.

It boggles the mind...

"Poor us, we do everything we can to push our views on everyone else, everywhere, at all times; but if someone questions our belief system because it has no quantifiable or empirical evidence in reality, it's an attack."

This is a lot like saying that America shouldn't have felt like the victim in 9/11 because they had been pushing their agenda in other countries for decades.

An attack is an attack whether or not the person or people make sense or are in power. Even if they somehow asked for it, it doesn't change the fact that being attacked hurts. There is no cognotive dissonance, just people in pain.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by FaceLikeTheSun
reply to post by Annee

i don't know about the stats claimed there, but I do know one thing...

theism vs atheism

theism (there is a god)

a-theism (lack of god)

There is a dichotomy there. One really does oppose another. Now when I say oppose, I mean the beliefs are not capable of comprimise. In other words, somebody is wrong about the state of our reality.

One has nothing to do with the other.

They are independent of each other.

I would have to disagree with your statement that they are independent of each other.
Which ever (theism/atheism) was birthed into thought first the other followed right behind it as soon as the idea hit the ears of the first person that thought was shared with because of human natures inevitability to way weather that thought shared is acceptable to them or not,thus the inability of one to exist without the other.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCelestialHuman
reply to post by SisyphusRide

maybe I could have put this in the rant section... then again atheist love to invade our turf and attack my brethren and sisters.

I am an atheist and find myself often in religious threads.. i am fascinated by religion, yet choose to be atheist. i do not see it as attacking your 'brethren and sisters' i am simply attempting to help you religious folk realize what you believe is wrong.. but yes, i do "love to invade your turf."

Similarly, I am a Catholic who embraces the logically driven arguments of athiesm but choses to be Catholic anyway. I consider it all theory. I just chose the option that makes the most sense to me. I do however understand that there is every possibility that I'm wrong and if I am, I'll accept it. In the meantime, I'll continue to study all sides and consider the possibilities.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Yeah they act like they know everything.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evanzsayz

Yeah they act like they know everything.

I think you'll find that, non-confrontational atheists with an interest in the workings of the religious minded:
Simply state that the is zero evidence for deities and then observe the mental gymnastics used to explain why we are wrong, generally citing one "holy" book or another.
This generally proceeds to explanations of why the "TRUTH" of any given religion is simply belief without empirical substance.
Rather different to acting as if they know everything, that statement belongs entirely under the heading:
Belief.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Noncompatible

Yeah, whatever you say dude.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Thanks for a good read guys.

Threads like this are a nice read from the sidelines.. where there are those of us that see the hatred and hypocracy of both sides with an equal eye. Live and let live.. or don't. the importance of life is in this moment.. not bickering over where it came from or where wed are going. Enjoy the ride! (you may or may not get only one.)
edit on 21-4-2012 by zaonez because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I really don't care about Atheists. Atheists shouldn't even spend half the time they do giving a #. All the ones I come in contact with are pseudo-intellectual smarmy hags to pretentious to even realize how irritating they sound. They give themselves some sort of grandiose image that they are hardly deserving of (nobody is), they know the same if not more or less than any other person on this planet yet they are to caught up in their ego to realize it. Atheists can't wait to tell you their stance on religion more so than a Christian in some cases.

Honestly, if you believe in only sound logic and science - why do you have to give two #s about what others do. They need to get over it as much as religious people do. "oh no, I saw a sign that says merry Christmas, i'm an atheist, wah." How can somebody that doesn't even believe in anything be so offended?

I swear, it is their law and duty to stick their nose where nobody gives a # and it doesn't belong. I guess i'm going on a 'rant' here to at this point. No hard feelings, you respect my religion of Christianity - and I will most certainly respect an Atheist. I may not understand why you are an Atheist, but I can see how - and it certainly isn't my place to question it. No need to attack either side, yet both persist? Ah well. "Getting along" and "Equality" are both dirt terms pounded in our brains by a liberal government. People won't get along, they don't agree, and they most certainly aren't equal - but there's a different between "Understanding" and "Leaving others the hell alone."

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quibbler
I only speak when I feel that I'm being provoked by some theist, namely the Christians. I think it's a very even battle though to be honest. Theists say "Believe in God" while Atheists say "GIVE ME PROOF, DUMMY".

Here's me pushing my beliefs on everyone: Everyone should realize that whether or not there is a God is not what matters, but how you treat each other every day. We are the future, whether there's a God or not.

ohhhhhh the irony!
so you call people dummy, those you disagree with...you do this unprovoked in a thread denouncing this method of miscommunication knowingly and willingly at the same time claiming you only do this when provoked.
So what provoked this attack on other peoples thoughts, actions and beliefs?
I call that hypocrisy of the highest level and you do it offering an apologetic but it's a polemic, claiming as apologetic..ehhh...
swing and a miss dude!
You prove the op to be correct and spot on!

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghostcooler

I would have to disagree with your statement that they are independent of each other.
Which ever (theism/atheism) was birthed into thought first the other followed right behind it as soon as the idea hit the ears of the first person that thought was shared with because of human natures inevitability to way weather that thought shared is acceptable to them or not,thus the inability of one to exist without the other.

I'm not speaking of descriptive. Atheism means Lack of belief in god. It is a noun/adjective. It is not an action.

Atheism does not oppose anything.

An Atheist is an individual. Other then Lack of belief in god - - - there is no group think - belief - doctrine - action - etc.

What any individual Atheist thinks/believes etc - - - is called an Atheist philosophy. It is that individual's philosophy - - - and has nothing to do with any other Atheist.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by FaceLikeTheSun
reply to post by Annee

well I think all of us need to define Christianity.

Christianity to me is simply a person who believes Jesus is God in human flesh who came, died, and rose again for the atonment of sins. That's it.

But to many, I'm not saying you in particular, Christianity means, republican, fundamental, etc.

Why are you arguing Christianity with me?

Its completely irrelevant to the thread.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Yeah, Atheists are so vicious. The were responsible for the wars of The Reformation, the Spanish Inquisition, and all subsequent Protestant on Catholic violence and visa versa. And all those atheist pro-lifers bombing Planned parenthood clinics and killing abortion providers. Then there is all the Muslim on Christian violence and visa versa -- including the Crusades and George W Bush's more recent self-described crusades in Iraq and Afghanistan. Clearly Bush was a self-proclaimed atheist, if ever there was one -- NOT. And all those years of The Troubles in Northern Ireland in which the IRA (Irish Republican Atheists) did all those terrorist bombings. And now we got crypto-atheist and Nobel Peace Prize holder Obama, a self-described Christian, continuing these wars and starting more against non-Christian nations. Yep, the durn atheists are the root of all evil on this planet -- always have been and always will be.

What a joke. I love it when "Christians" and any other religious folk start badmouthing atheists. The only oppressive atheist societies were/are the communist countries, and their governments oppressed religions because they feared them like any other political organizations. Yet Christians and Jews, who supposedly abide by the Ten Commandments, have no problem killing people by the hundreds of thousands. What about that "Thou shall not kill" thingy, huh?

Religious folk like to believe their dogma and are put off/frightened/annoyed/angered by atheists who challenge their ridiculous religious beliefs -- particularly those monotheists who worship the Invisible Sky God.

BTW, did you know Hitler was a Catholic?

Yes, atheists may seem "vicious" to people of faith, because atheists don't suffers fools lightly. Tough.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

OK answer me this, hypothetically if the belief in any kind of god,creator,or religious deity's was nonexistent would atheism exist?

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by LiberLegit
I come in contact with are pseudo-intellectual smarmy hags to pretentious to even realize how irritating they sound. They give themselves some sort of grandiose image that they are hardly deserving of (nobody is), they know the same if not more or less than any other person on this planet yet they are to caught up in their ego to realize it. Atheists can't wait to tell you their stance on religion more so than a Christian in some cases.

Really? Are you talking about IN PERSON? Or on a discussion board.

If you mean you've met all these Atheists in person and had discussions with them. Where exactly would that be - - and how do you meet them?

I'm Atheist and I've only met one other in my entire life.

Atheists don't exactly shake your hand and say: "Hi! I'm Atheist".

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   

reply to post by Annee

OK answer me this, hypothetically if the belief in any kind of god,creator,or religious deity's was nonexistent would atheism exist?

Would I say original modern human was born with a concept of god? NO - absolutely NO.

Only when modern human began to question Why? Did leaders of man need to invent answers.

Pagan (life - birth - crops - weather) - - would probably be the closest IMO to an early god concept because of need.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

I'm not speaking of descriptive. Atheism means Lack of belief in god. It is a noun/adjective. It is not an action.

Atheism does not oppose anything.

An Atheist is an individual. Other then Lack of belief in god - - - there is no group think - belief - doctrine - action - etc.

What any individual Atheist thinks/believes etc - - - is called an Atheist philosophy. It is that individual's philosophy - - - and has nothing to do with any other Atheist.

I love this.

No group think, huh? As a group Atheist's think there is no God.

We have a thread called, "Atheist, deharmonizing the harmony of the spheres", and atheist's show up to tell you what they think. If the thread wasn't broken up into individual posts, so we can see who's who, I would have thought all the atheist posting were the same person.

Deny whatever you wan't. You can not deny, as an atheist, that you have a worldview. Christians have a worldview. Everyone has a worldview.

You also said, Atheism does not oppose anything. Ha HA Haha. Atheism actually opposes a belief in God.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by addygrace

No group think, huh? As a group Atheist's think there is no God.

Trying to go all Drama on me - - aren't you.

Common denominator - - Atheism - - Lack of belief in god. Atheism is a noun/adjective. Its not a verb.

There is NO Group Think - - no doctrine - no belief - yada yada yada.

Beyond the common denominator - - - each Atheist is an individual to think/believe whatever they choose (except belief in a god).

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
To help with my point I need to disclose a little about myself, I am straight up Southern boy. For the ATS members not familiar with the US that means I'm from the South East part of our Country. (redneck, bible belt) My grandfather is a well respected farmer and Southern Baptist preacher. He served the church for nearly 40 years starting as Decon. My father grew up in the church and is still very active. Active as in there two times a week teaching Sunday school and driving the bus. I have been involved in the church since birth. I have been to church camps, on missionaries and revivals. My entire family is involved in the church in some way shape or form and my area is highly religious.

I am an Atheist. I have not always been an Atheist and didn't become one till well after college. I still have a great relationship with my family as well as their close friends in the church. They don't try to push their agenda on me and I don't to them. Now my dad is a good sport and likes to have healthy discussions on the subject. But never really anything over the top. They see that my morals have not changed and I am still a good person. I no longer attend ANY church functions and they are cool with that.

Now any time I see anyone I know from the church that I haven't seen in a while they ask where I have been. I now never tell them I am Atheist and no longer want to attend. I made that mistake one to many times. You see the few people who pried it out of me felt it their duty to bring me back. Their agenda and views were pushed on me hard. It was so bad that I avoided the topic with anyone I knew from the church. I also have spoken with other theist about it who did not know my background and they started the religion conversation. Now being on the other side of the coin I found anyone who talked about religion and found out I was Atheist instantly wanted to try and convince of the existence of God. It was crazy. I have gotten to the point where I rarely mention it to someone I don't know really well.

Now to my point. No one ever recruited me to be an Atheist. To be honest in my environment I had never meet one. I had questions about my religion and faith, did my own research, and it lead me to become Atheist.

I can tell you that I have met thousands of theist who have pushed their agenda on me. I get it all the time. So much that most of the time if anyone even brings it up I just go with the flow and not mention my beliefs. I also used to be the one pushing. The church sets up all kinds of events the involve spreading the gospel.
edit on 22-4-2012 by GuidedKill because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by SisyphusRide
anyone ever realize that atheist are some pretty vicious individuals? in meaning they love to attack the over 95% of the population which have a theistic belief system (which is usually based on respect and appreciation of life.)

is it a conspiracy here on ATS or is it just me...

First of all, that 95% stat is HIGHLY variable by location. The west will bring in a considerably lower percentage. Anyway, organized religion has rarely (in practice) resulted in greater peace and harmony in (western/near eastern) society, especially considering the long term dynamics between societies. Appreciation of life? Don't get me started.

maybe I could have put this in the rant section... then again atheist love to invade our turf and attack my brethren and sisters.

Oh, so now the theists are the victims?! LOL!

BTW... I've never heard of a war declared BY atheists against ANYONE. How vicious!!!!!

This seems like a troll, I didn't think people still didn't understand all of this by now.....?

edit on 22-4-2012 by UltraDOSEcious because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join