It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

KONY 2012 and the Invisible Children

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
here's a question... what exactly is this company that they call TRI that they deposit all donations made into....???

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
People were having problems posting this link to facebook earlier, apparently it was blocked...

visiblechildren.tumblr.com/

Although, people are now saying it's unblocked. However, anyone who put this link into the comments on the Youtube Kony video got marked as spam, and now no one can enter this in the comments at all!

No way will general visitors flag this as spam, and obviously tbtb have put a stop to people posting this link.

Obviously a few people have a financial interest in this viral video, and will do what they can to stop people finding out the real details! Hmmm, certainly getting fishier by the hour!

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by 4hero

This is a common response. Simply because an organization is non-profit does not mean they do not pay their employees. Some non-profits are volunteer run, some arnt. My non-profit is entirely volunteer-run, simply because we cannot find the funds to pay out staff at this point in time.

Simply because people are being payed doesn't mean they are "profiting" from donations. A profit is pretty much defined as a financial benefit that is realized when the amount of revenue gained from a business activity exceeds the expenses. There is no financial "benefit" in a non-profit. These people are not looking to make money, they are being payed low salaries for their services in order provide security for their families.

I will say again that 32% is an extraordinarily high percentage of donation money going directly to the afflicted. I can say with some accuracy that most non-profits running at IC's size do not give that much. I know for a fact that less than 10% of the National Leukemia Association's funds go directly to cancer research.

I understand that we are called to look at issues with critical eyes here at ATS, but I don't write off a movement simply because it is popular, or it has amassed alot of donations. If I did, I wouldn't be very critical at all.

edit on 7-3-2012 by MarlboroRedCowgirl because: spelling

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by MarlboroRedCowgirl

If that is the case, then I am going to have to SERIOUSLY consider ever giving money to any charity again. When I give to a cause, I expected that like 90% was going to the cause, and 10% going to other crap. And now I find out the split is 10% to cause, and 90% to other crap? I am going to have to do some serious digging now on "charities" I give money too. Am I the only one surprised by this? Less than 50% going to the actual cause is considered great in the charity world? My view of the charity world has greatly shifted.
edit on Wed, 07 Mar 2012 18:12:03 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I worked with some Ugandian men in Iraq, our unit built a strong relationship with those guys. I dont have much to add to the op, But I will always remember my brothers from Uganda..cool people. Sad this is happening.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I highly recommend looking into the organizations you donate to. I do not endorse giving money in the heat of an emotional moment. My people have given money to organizations unaware that they were scams which are not charitable in the slightest.

Lets get personal here. I'm not trying to "sell my organization" at all, but it may provide some insight.
This is my nonprofit: Garys Place for Kids, gpfkoc.org... , and if you look on our front page you will see we also have a video. Our video is also to make folks aware that we exist, mainly so if you are in need of our services you know where to find us. My organization is also to help children, children who have lost a family member and are in need of peer support. We are an extremely small organization, and as I mentioned before, we are entirely volunteer run. We spend our donations on lots of things, we send press kits, raise awareness at schools, and pay rent at our building. We also buy cupcakes, stickers, journals, balloons, flowers, books and informational pamphlets, and many, many more items.

Some may say, why are you buying stickers? Does that really help these children grieve? This is a similar argument to, why are you buying film equipment? Does that really save these children from becoming child soldiers? The answer to both is yes. No charity is perfect, however the reputable ones do the best that they can to provide support to the children in Uganda.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarlboroRedCowgirl
reply to post by 4hero

This is a common response. Simply because an organization is non-profit does not mean they do not pay their employees. Some non-profits are volunteer run, some arnt. My non-profit is entirely volunteer-run, simply because we cannot find the funds to pay out staff at this point in time.

Simply because people are being payed doesn't mean they are "profiting" from donations. A profit is pretty much defined as a financial benefit that is realized when the amount of revenue gained from a business activity exceeds the expenses. There is no financial "benefit" in a non-profit. These people are not looking to make money, they are being payed low salaries for their services in order provide security for their families.

I will say again that 32% is an extraordinarily high percentage of donation money going directly to the afflicted. I can say with some accuracy that most non-profits running at IC's size do not give that much. I know for a fact that less than 10% of the National Leukemia Association's funds go directly to cancer research.

I understand that we are called to look at issues with critical eyes here at ATS, but I don't write off a movement simply because it is popular, or it has amassed alot of donations. If I did, I wouldn't be very critical at all.

edit on 7-3-2012 by MarlboroRedCowgirl because: spelling

Firstly, well done for doing whatever charity work you do. However, it seems that even businesses make a higher percentage than charities do for their causes?
edit on 7-3-2012 by 4hero because: spelling

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Bonkrh

Fellow ATSers tread carefully,

What has the WEST found in Uganda? Oil? Nuclear Arms? i'm guessing oil.

Same technique is being deployed here;

Problem - Is already there, this Kony person.

Action - Create a fancy video on how bad this person is, which is probably true.

Solution - Get peoples compassion and money by creating a charity which will probably directly flow to the WEST to launch an attack to take this guy Kony out but also secure the Oil or whatever it is they are chasing.

I'm pretty sure this kind of stuff happens all over the world, we have issues in our own countries and what do our governments do about these problems.....

It cant create money, that is why they do not tackle it......

Or am i looking into it too much?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bonkrh

For anyone who doesn't want to watch the video it is a movie about a man named Joseph Kony who takes kids from their parents and raises them as soldiers or sex slaves (over 30000). He is not funded by anyone but does it only to keep power in Africa. The point is for it to get widespread attention to have him arrested for his crimes.

Why did you even bring this up?
Obviously bombing IRAN is much more justified and pertinent than going after some dude called Kony.
Let those dark skinned people solve their own problems.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by FoosM

Sarcasm I hope

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
This image says it all, imo:

edit on 7-3-2012 by Rockdisjoint because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Food for thought....found it on Reddit.

link   
"Sadam dead,Bin Laden dead,Gaddafi dead ,Kim jong il dead,i think we are running out of dark skinned bad guys,wait a minute who's this"

link   
I don't have an issue with there message I just don't know weather it's the right message to follow after reading this link:

innovateafrica.tumblr.com...

It got me thinking about what I'm really supporting, be it the Americans trying to help the Ugandan people, or weather we should support the Ugandan people for the Ugandan people.

I have nothing against anyone wanting to help other people but is it really the right cause to support..

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Trafalgar, what a bunch of bull! People can twist anything to fit their own agenda or beliefs. Whatever!

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Something is wrong with Kony..

I don't know what it is, but I have a feeling it is possibly an attempt to shift our attention.

I think that certain powers have recently mastered the technique of controlling internet trends, heavily through social media.
We saw this with the SOPA/PIPA recent mass of hysteria.

There are so many important things going on right now such as a looming war with Iran where millions of innocent people are bound to be killed.
I think a growing number of people have realized that there is no justification for Israel’s stance.. But there are many other things this Kony even could be trying to hide.

I know that something inst right here, and its probably not what I explained above.. But it is something; something is out of place here.

By focusing on this Kony guy we are just forgetting who has created all these problems worldwide, and that is the west.
Prevention is better then cure; and we are not going to solve anything by curing Kony. We need to prevent this stuff from happening by freeing places like Africa from the chains of debt and the western controlled financial systems.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Here we go
MOD EDIT: same as this picture

www.abovetopsecret.com...

EDIT: I just realized everyone above me posted this lol. this picture is about as viral as the damn video.

edit on 7-3-2012 by juveous because: (no reason given)

edit on Wed Mar 7 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
To be honest I wouln't be surpirse if the above images hold some truth in them
Nothing really surprises me anymore.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dareamus
I don't have an issue with there message I just don't know weather it's the right message to follow after reading this link:

innovateafrica.tumblr.com...

It got me thinking about what I'm really supporting, be it the Americans trying to help the Ugandan people, or weather we should support the Ugandan people for the Ugandan people.

I have nothing against anyone wanting to help other people but is it really the right cause to support..

Well obviously it made a difference, because Kony is on the run and the organization helped finance the Ugandan military. I get sick of reading about the 'messianic/savior' undertone in these articles. I'm sure it's not only white students, but black students also that have taken an interest in Uganda. Maybe they won't heal Uganda's problems overnight, but at least, it's brought about change. Be sure and read those links at the end of the article.

The Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA) remains a deadly threat to civilians in three Central African states. After a ceasefire and negotiations for peaceful settlement of the generation-long insurgency broke down in 2008, Uganda’s army botched an initial assault. In three years since, half-hearted operations have failed to stop the small, brutally effective band from killing more than 2,400 civilians, abducting more than 3,400 and causing 440,000 to flee. In 2010 President Museveni withdrew about half the troops to pursue more politically rewarding goals.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join