It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

KONY 2012 and the Invisible Children

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I really feel out of the loop on this subject... probably because I don't do "social networking" sites, and this KONY stuff isn't being mentioned on Yahoo, MSN, etc.

Is this strictly a Facebook type campaign? Most legitimate stuff usually go a lot farther than Facebook and YouTube.

I could be wrong but I'd be extra cautious before making donations and supporting a largely unknown cause.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dareamus

innovateafrica.tumblr.com...

I gave you a star, this is a great link. Needs a quote though

Lack of context and nuance: in the video, the founder of Invisible Children tells his young son that Kony is a bad guy and he must go. Daddy will work on making sure he is caught. He states, “if we succeed, we change the course of human history.” Such a humble undertaking! Simply, a long socioeconomic and political conflict that has lasted 25+ years and engaged multiple states and actors has been reduced to a story of the good vs bad guy. And if a three-year-old can understand it, so can you. You don’t have to learn anything about the children, Uganda, or Africa. You just have to make calls, put up flyers, sings songs, and you will liberate a poor, forgotten, and invisible people.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Onboard2

i never said what there doing is wrong or anything like that for that matter, just made me think should i give my money to a third party cause or to the actual causes it help? why pay the middle man?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

Joseph Kony (born 1961 in Odek, Uganda[1]) is a Ugandan guerrilla group leader, head of the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA), a group engaged in a violent campaign to establish theocratic government based on the Ten Commandments throughout Uganda.[1] The LRA say that God has sent spirits to communicate this mission directly to Kony.[4]

Kony believes in the literal protection provided by a cross symbol and tells his child soldiers a cross on their chest drawn in oil would protect them from bullets.[7] Kony insists that he and the Lord's Resistance Army are fighting for the Ten Commandments, defending his actions: "Is it bad? It is not against human rights. And that commandment was not given by Joseph. It was not given by LRA. No, those commandments were given by God.

en.wikipedia.org...

The video said he was fighting for nothing but it seems hes a nutty Christian terrorist

If only he were Muslim, it'd be so much easier to gather public support. Can you imagine how many threads there would be on ATS if he was. His face would be plastered all over Fox news as well.
edit on 7-3-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

There's no such thing as a "Christian Terrorist." True Christians don't do those kinds of things. But, true Christians get lumped in with the wackos calling themselves Christians all the time. They're tarred by the same brush wihich isn't fair or accurate.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
So Kony is good at brainwashing like other organization I know of.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

reply to post by Onboard2

i never said what there doing is wrong or anything like that for that matter, just made me think should i give my money to a third party cause or to the actual causes it help? why pay the middle man?

I agree with that. It seems that the organization is drawing in millions now. I don't think it was the intent of the Invisible Children organization to make money off this. They did help finance the Ugandan Army and put up a radar system. I still think it brought about a positive change. As I stated, when money is involved, there is always corruption.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Looks like this site is down...

actually this is working now, must have been a traffic issue.
edit on 7-3-2012 by 4hero because: update

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by 4hero

seems a bit suspicious that any site going against it goes down, that's two I know of..

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   

[
The video said he was fighting for nothing but it seems hes a nutty Christian terrorist

If only he were Muslim, it'd be so much easier to gather public support. Can you imagine how many threads there would be on ATS if he was. His face would be plastered all over Fox news as well.

Funny how in many Muslim countries they force 12-13 year olds to marry old men.

Originally posted by TKDRL
Apparently this kind of thing is a lot more common than I thought. Republicans apparently used a place called "Boystown" to get teenage kids for drug and sex parties. Pretty chilling stuff going on in the world....

Isn't it funny how the left will use anything to get a few insults thrown in. I am sure that there are many Democrats in the mix.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Some thoughts from the daily what that I agree with

"On Kony 2012: I honestly wanted to stay as far away as possible from KONY 2012, the latest fauxtivist fad sweeping the web (remember “change your Facebook profile pic to stop child abuse”?), but you clearly won’t stop sending me that damn video until I say something about it, so here goes:

Stop sending me that video.

The organization behind Kony 2012 — Invisible Children Inc. — is an extremely shady nonprofit that has been called ”misleading,” “naive,” and “dangerous” by a Yale political science professor, and has been accused by Foreign Affairs of “manipulat[ing] facts for strategic purposes.” They have also been criticized by the Better Business Bureau for refusing to provide information necessary to determine if IC meets the Bureau’s standards.

Additionally, IC has a low two-star rating in accountability from Charity Navigator because they won’t let their financials be independently audited. That’s not a good thing. In fact, it’s a very bad thing, and should make you immediately pause and reflect on where the money you’re sending them is going.

By IC’s own admission, only 31% of all the funds they receive go toward actually helping anyone [pdf]. The rest go to line the pockets of the three people in charge of the organization, to pay for their travel expenses (over $1 million in the last year alone) and to fund their filmmaking business (also over a million) — which is quite an effective way to make more money, as clearly illustrated by the fact that so many can’t seem to stop forwarding their well-engineered emotional blackmail to everyone they’ve ever known.

And as far as what they do with that money:

The group is in favour of direct military intervention, and their money supports the Ugandan government’s army and various other military forces. Here’s a photo of the founders of Invisible Children posing with weapons and personnel of the Sudan People’s Liberation Army. Both the Ugandan army and Sudan People’s Liberation Army are riddled with accusations of rape and looting, but Invisible Children defends them, arguing that the Ugandan army is “better equipped than that of any of the other affected countries”, although Kony is no longer active in Uganda and hasn’t been since 2006 by their own admission. These books each refer to the rape and sexual assault that are perennial issues with the UPDF, the military group Invisible Children is defending.

Let’s not get our lines crossed: The Lord’s Resistance Army is bad news. And Joseph Kony is a very bad man, and needs to be stopped. But propping up Uganda’s decades-old dictatorship and its military arm, which has been accused by the UN of committing unspeakable atrocities and itself facilitated the recruitment of child soldiers, is not the way to go about it.

The United States is already plenty involved in helping rout Kony and his band of psycho sycophants. Kony is on the run, having been pushed out of Uganda, and it’s likely he will soon be caught, if he isn’t already dead. But killing Kony won’t fix anything, just as killing Osama bin Laden didn’t end terrorism. The LRA might collapse, but, as Foreign Affairs points out, it is “a relatively small player in all of this — as much a symptom as a cause of the endemic violence.”

Myopically placing the blame for all of central Africa’s woes on Kony — even as a starting point — will only imperil many more people than are already in danger.

Sending money to a nonprofit that wants to muck things up by dousing the flames with fuel is not helping. Want to help? Really want to help? Send your money to nonprofits that are putting more than 31% toward rebuilding the region’s medical and educational infrastructure, so that former child soldiers have something worth coming home to.

Here are just a few of those charities. They all have a sparkling four-star rating from Charity Navigator, and, more importantly, no interest in airdropping American troops armed to the teeth into the middle of a multi-nation tribal war to help one madman catch another.

The bottom line is, research your causes thoroughly. Don’t just forward a random video to a stranger because a mass murderer makes a five-year-old “sad.” Learn a little bit about the complexities of the region’s ongoing strife before advocating for direct military intervention." -(the daily what)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

seems a bit suspicious that any site going against it goes down, that's two I know of..

definitely a lot suspicious about this so called campaign...

People not allowed to post that link on Facebook, then that was lifted, and even I had to enter a captcha to post that link on FB, and I've never had to fill a captcha out on FB before.

That link was always marked as spam on YT, and now cannot even be posted.

So facebook and youtube are in someway connected to this otherwise they would not be intervening?!

Someone is moderating both FB & YT.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by 4hero

This site was also blocked for a while but I have a friend who got round it to link me this:

visiblechildren.tumblr.com.nyud.net...

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceJ
If you follow Wikileaks and watched the Kony thing, make sure to read the cables or at least a summary on the economic situation and relations between China + Iran + Uganda. It's a huge dimension of the story that's being left out.

How convenient !

This will probably be said out public in a couple days, to have more of the population accepting that war against Iran is a good thing. I'm not saying stopping Kony isn't a worthy cause, but why now all of this...social media CAN be distributed fast, but this is major. Maybe just the incentive they need to start ww3 and have people join in the army and think that it's a worthy cause...

Bin Laden AND Gadaffi shown REPEATEDLY in the video, this reeks government, army and bankers...
and part you all KNOW IT inside.

Don't let empathy and control fool you, we all know who are the real criminals that need to be stopped!
Cutting branches won't bring down a dead tree.
edit on 7-3-2012 by User8911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

I'm Christian therefore I'm terrorist LOL. Please read: Deny Ignorance on the banner of ATS.
Now I know thats not the point but lets be realistic here.

Do we want ANOTHER war along with US forces already spread out in multiple countries?
Children being forced to fight for warlords isn't exactly a new concept. USA is falling apart and this is what we're most concerned about. WOW

If we fight Kony now, we also fight other war criminals who are like him in Africa.

Then we have another 10+ year war on our hands.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

definitely a lot suspicious about this so called campaign...

People not allowed to post that link on Facebook, then that was lifted, and even I had to enter a captcha to post that link on FB, and I've never had to fill a captcha out on FB before.

That link was always marked as spam on YT, and now cannot even be posted.

So facebook and youtube are in someway connected to this otherwise they would not be intervening?!

Someone is moderating both FB & YT.

You know what, the same thing happened to me. I went to enter the captcha and I thought "wait a second, I don't think I ever had to do this before when making a status." Maybe it's a clever way to track people you know? Very well could be. I mean, why else? I'm not the NWO nut type either.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

I am not a lefty dude, but that documentary is about republicans using boystown to get sex from underaged teens. If you got one about democrats, point me to it. The point was, it is going on under our noses, in our country. I really could care less what party affiliation they are, it is wrong no matter who deos it.
edit on Wed, 07 Mar 2012 20:07:02 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
The problem is the world really doesn't care about Africa.America once went into Mogadishu, but failed misreably because nobody really wanted order and America withdrew because there was nothing of itnerest there. America will only be the world's police when there's interest in it, such as oil.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrulyColorBlind

Joseph Kony (born 1961 in Odek, Uganda[1]) is a Ugandan guerrilla group leader, head of the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA), a group engaged in a violent campaign to establish theocratic government based on the Ten Commandments throughout Uganda.[1] The LRA say that God has sent spirits to communicate this mission directly to Kony.[4]

Kony believes in the literal protection provided by a cross symbol and tells his child soldiers a cross on their chest drawn in oil would protect them from bullets.[7] Kony insists that he and the Lord's Resistance Army are fighting for the Ten Commandments, defending his actions: "Is it bad? It is not against human rights. And that commandment was not given by Joseph. It was not given by LRA. No, those commandments were given by God.

en.wikipedia.org...

There's no such thing as a "Christian Terrorist." True Christians don't do those kinds of things. But, true Christians get lumped in with the wackos calling themselves Christians all the time. They're tarred by the same brush wihich isn't fair or accurate.

So.. exactly like when muslims are labelled as terrorists then? lets replace the word christian with muslim in the above sentance, and see how it plays out

"There's no such thing as a "muslim Terrorist." True muslims don't do those kinds of things. But, true muslims get lumped in with the wackos calling themselves muslims all the time. They're tarred by the same brush wihich isn't fair or accurate.

Funny that.

For the record.. im not muslim either, i just find the logic amusing. evil people are evil, sick people are sick. simple as that.
edit on 7-3-2012 by faaip because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
"There is something off..."

"Don't be sucked into the lies!"

"Another con"

"Scam-artist .Inc"

So this is what happens when we assemble for a cause, eh. Guess I should forget about changing America. I don't know what to think of this either guys, but I didn't automatically run up to the hill-tops and shout "THIS MOVIE IS A FRAUD" I didn't pay jack-sht to watch it. Some of you didn't either (granted you used wi-fi someone other than you is paying for).

Point is, this could be a test. No, no, not a money test. Americans always thinking about greenbacks eesh.

No, it's a test to see if we can amass the masses to fight for a cause, non-violently. This is just another test. Just like Occupy, just like the Egypt protests. The testers aren't the founders of this Invisible Children corp. No, funny how that would turn out though, but no. The testers are the politicians, as usual. They sit back, and they watch.

Think about it -- how many of you actually got out of your homes to help in the Occupy protests because you thought "George Soros was funding it." How many of you didn't like Wikileaks because you thought "the CIA has some hidden agenda giving us leaked documents." How many of you attested the Egpyt protests because you thought " It's just pushing Muslim rule." How about YOU wake up.

Smell the effing daisies. If you can't even support this by linking it on your Facebook (if you have one), then how would you fare in our OWN country? Does it cost you to tweet "#KONY2012 Make Kony Famous"? Does it cost you to link or like the Invisible Children page? No, it doesn't cost you JACK-SHT. It does, however, bring more awareness to the cause. if you don't want to donate, no one is shoving a Remmy 870 down your throat.

/End rant

Although, I still don't get it. Who would be helped by putting up a poster? Lol. Conspiracies these days.
edit on 7-3-2012 by mr10k because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I saw this as a lead thread earlier today, I didn't watch it. I'm watching CNN and Pierce Morgan just mentioned Kony 2012, so I'm going to watch this now.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join