It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

KONY 2012 and the Invisible Children

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+58 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   

This seems like something that should be recognized.

For anyone who doesn't want to watch the video it is a movie about a man named Joseph Kony who takes kids from their parents and raises them as soldiers or sex slaves (over 30000). He is not funded by anyone but does it only to keep power in Africa. The point is for it to get widespread attention to have him arrested for his crimes.

I dont know everything about it so im sure someone can explain it better. Just wanted to get it on here if it hasnt been already.
edit on 6-3-2012 by Bonkrh because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
My 14 year old son brought this up at dinner. It's the first I've heard of it, and now I'm curious where he heard about it. Thanks OP for posting this.

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I'm half way through this and my Spidey senses are going crazy. I can't put my finger on it, it doesn't feel natural, it feels "off". I can't explain it beyond that right now, still watching.

I have spoken with co-workers from that area of Africa and they do talk about the terrorism going on there all the time in the villages.

Did I hear correct, that the US sent a whopping "100 American advisers" there to capture Kony? Was there not enough oil, lithium, or poppy plants in that region to send more of a force to help?

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Yea america also didnt send very many people over there when the massacres were going on because it wasnt their place to be. But if you go look at the middle east countries...

edit on 6-3-2012 by Bonkrh because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Toolatetotalk

It was probably through Invisible Children. My kids have been involved with them off and on over a few years. The organization shows films at colleges and high schools to raise awareness for the plight of other kids in Africa. My kids really connected to them.

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Apparently this kind of thing is a lot more common than I thought. Republicans apparently used a place called "Boystown" to get teenage kids for drug and sex parties. Pretty chilling stuff going on in the world....

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Happy that I found a post about this, I really, really hope it goes to popular topics. So important! This needs to be seen by as many people as possible. So great that it's been double trending word wide on twitter for hours. His message and the work everyone's doing needs to be recognized.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJ

I would like it to get this on the front page. Alot of videos on youtube are having their comments spammed saying "KONY 2012!"

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Here's the website for the campaign, it keeps going down from traffic but it's up right now Kony 2012

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Kony 2012 campaign is something ATS members could get behind. There's plenty of apathy in the world but what these guys started doing and continue doing is admirable.

The websites are currently down as there's a lot of people making pledges and donations.

It's spreading like wildfire, as it should be.

+6 more 
posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
There's something completely off about this. I really don't know what to think of this, but something isn't right here. There's something else behind this.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicConsciousness
There's something completely off about this. I really don't know what to think of this, but something isn't right here. There's something else behind this.

The Force is strong with you, but what is it exactly is the question.
It "feels" off, the message seems genuine, the ideals are benevolent, but it just feels... not right.

I think if we trace the support and funding, we'll find some familiar names involved with this.

edit on 7-3-2012 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I've known of the Invisible Children for a couple of years now, and have donated in the past to their cause, despite them not really operating in our country.
I was surprised that so few people had known of this happening, as I recall knowing about it many years ago, or perhaps I'm thinking of Sierra Leone, rather than Uganda.

I really and honestly feel that it is time of this man Kony to be caught and bought to justice. He needs to answer for his crimes.
For those who don't want to watch a half hour video, here's the gist.

For more than 20 years, a group of child soldiers known as the LRA (Lords Resistance Army) has been lead by a man Joseph Kony. This group abducts children from their homes, killing their parents, or making the child do it. They mutilate children, disfiguring them, scarring their faces. They are taken from their homes, forced to bear arms. Girls who are abducted are made to become sexual slaves. Joseph Kony has no agenda, he has no cause, yet he builds and cultivates his army of children soldiers because he is powerful.
Thousands of children in Uganda live in fear that one night they will be taken. Some who have escaped from the LRA would rather die than go back.

President Obama has given this his attention, sending 100 military advisors to Uganda to help the military, to advise but not take part in warfare.

This cause deserves attention, because for the last 20 years +/-, these children have received no aid from anyone, they have not existed in the eyes of any government official who would have the power to set a ball rolling to bring this to an end. They have been swept under the rug.
But now, a goal that was once impossible, bringing Kony to justice, capturing him and getting him to face what he has done, is now possible.
People are speaking out against him, making him famous, not to celebrate but to condemn him.
Famous people all over the world are making his name, and this cause known.

This will blossom into a beautiful thing if the right people listen.
2012 is the year. I believe this can happen.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Lulzaroonie

President Obama has given this his attention, sending 100 military advisors to Uganda to help the military, to advise but not take part in warfare.

There you go, problem solved.... no?

I'll answer that....
There's no major oil deposits there.
There are no plentiful poppy fields there.
There is no lithium to be harvested there.
It will cost lots of money to resolve the problem with no return on the investment.
Kony probably shares the wealth with the elite.
Corporations could care less about African children's plights and struggles.

That's why only 100 advisers and not 1000 military troops were sent. We wouldn't want to upset a country that hates the child rapist murderer terrorizing villages for decades.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
What happens in Uganda... Stays in Uganda.... I hope

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Bonkrh

I do appreciate this and I will do my part as much as I can....but I do find it frustrating as an American that Americans themselves usually take up such huge amounts of interest in international issues but can not get organized enough at home to fix the problems here, and it's not like America is short on problems....cause we're not. If American's all chose to educate themselves and stand up for the politics they believe in the same way they get organized to help other countries then we wouldn't have any real significant problems. Yet, we see it as our duty to help everyone else without really taking care of ourselves. Not that I have anything against helping other people but how well can you help someone if you can't help yourself? Eventually if you don't take good care of yourself; you certainly won't be able to help anyone else and eventually that is going to become evident.

I encourage everyone to rally behind this cause because it's the right thing to do but at the same time I would also encourage everyone but in particular, American's, to stand up for the things they believe in just as passionately whether it be political change or concern of the growing level of freedoms that are being taken away through said politics I would strongly urge everyone to question their government. Even challenge it. Challenge it to do better.
edit on 7-3-2012 by GrimReaper86 because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Joseph Kony (born 1961 in Odek, Uganda[1]) is a Ugandan guerrilla group leader, head of the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA), a group engaged in a violent campaign to establish theocratic government based on the Ten Commandments throughout Uganda.[1] The LRA say that God has sent spirits to communicate this mission directly to Kony.[4]

Kony believes in the literal protection provided by a cross symbol and tells his child soldiers a cross on their chest drawn in oil would protect them from bullets.[7] Kony insists that he and the Lord's Resistance Army are fighting for the Ten Commandments, defending his actions: "Is it bad? It is not against human rights. And that commandment was not given by Joseph. It was not given by LRA. No, those commandments were given by God.

en.wikipedia.org...

The video said he was fighting for nothing but it seems hes a nutty Christian terrorist

If only he were Muslim, it'd be so much easier to gather public support. Can you imagine how many threads there would be on ATS if he was. His face would be plastered all over Fox news as well.
edit on 7-3-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
No oil, no profits, nothing to do there. Could be good propaganda for Obama to go in & find him before election day.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   
This is so everyone can get another perspective.

ilto.wordpress.com...

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   
I have NOT watched the video yet, but I have studied the issues they are try to bring to light.

All I gotta say is, apparently Invisible Children is 100% for military intervention by foreign superpowers, and I don't approve of that

People, please remain vigilant, don't let your emotions rid you of your logic and reasoning. The same thing happened with 911 everyone got mad and supported intervention in the middle east when we know now that we were misled!

Invisible Children has been condemned time and time again. As a registered not-for-profit, its finances are public. Last year, the organization spent $8,676,614. Only 31% went to their charity program (page 6)*. This is far from ideal, and Charity Navigator rates their accountability 2/4 stars because they haven’t had their finances externally audited. But it goes way deeper than that.

The group is in favour of direct military intervention, and their money funds the Ugandan government’s army and various other military forces. Here’s a photo of the founders of Invisible Children posing with weapons and personnel of the Sudan People’s Liberation Army. Both the Ugandan army and Sudan People’s Liberation Army are riddled with accusations of rape and looting, but Invisible Children defends them, arguing that the Ugandan army is “better equipped than that of any of the other affected countries”, although Kony is no longer active in Uganda and hasn’t been since 2006 by their own admission.

visiblechildren.tumblr.com...
edit on 7-3-2012 by seenavv because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join