It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

KONY 2012 and the Invisible Children

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Vamp333

Its target to our kids because they are the easiest to influence . and they may not have the skills and abilty yet to understand disinformation and propaganda

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Well that settles it, my vote is in....ELECT "KONY 2012"...

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ThisToiletEarth

yes how much worse can he be than any one else that is running atm

edit on 7-3-2012 by lordbayfin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
They've used the "shocking" images of children and Jacob's heart-wrenching story to provoke people into donating to their cause. And they've successfully used this propaganda to get millions of followers and I'm guessing a hell of a lot of money by now. This thing's been trending worldwide on Twitter and has went totally viral.

Well, I guess I applaud their initiative, but no one should be supporting the rogue Uganda military if they want good to come of it.

Yes, visiblechildren.tumblr.com... got it spot on.

Just worked so well because most people don't think enough. I'm guessing 99% of the people who are in this Kony 2012 campaign have been so seduced by their propaganda that they will not think to look at the flip side. I was glad to see someone brought this up on ATS, can finally see people talking sense on it.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Turn off the TV. Turn off Facebook. Observe the matrix at work.

Movie = Metaphor = Real Life

It's DESIGNED to make it tough to break free. KONY is another mind-jack. How can you be against child abuse? Catch-22. Mind trap designed to maintain control of the program. You'll even stick up for it in order to defend your belief structure programming. You'll die for it too. Unless you reformat your mind and reprogram it through your own awareness, you will be subject to others programming.

This isn't tinfoil hat. This is seeing from perspective of wisdom and insight--based on ego-less-ness and everything used as a mirror to understanding self. Psychology and philosophy are the most important of sciences as they explain the successes and roadblocks all the other sciences face in their evolution. Science falls prey to dogma and belief. The individual does as well. We impede our own growth by continuing to fall victim to others programming and agendas--from sales to belief programming.

Question everything you have ever been told. First, you are designed to EVOLVE upon the shoulders of others, not be held down by them through their own misunderstandings of ego and the resulting belief structures. The new crop kids are going to school on us and they're already starting to question and debunk a large chunk of ADHD & Bipolar belief and are starting to ditch medication in favor of re-designing life to a more realistic and rewarding experience. At what percent do we stop medicating and question society itself?

The evidence is mounting that what people take for their reality is a complete charade. And to a certain degree it is inherently. The studies are out there and it doesn't take much to see who has been footing the bill. This isn't so X-Files has material for a new episode. It's because the spending has resulted in some interesting results.

Those results have been used to finance an industry of control that programs minds and raises billions of dollars. The purpose of a CON is to DISGUISE itself so that the MARK will defend the con.

They aren't going to do it dressed like a tent preacher or a huckster. They're going to do it through legislation and Holywood-level special effects. YOU AREN'T SUPPOSED TO GET THAT IT'S A CON.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
kony 2012 it is a CON ?!! CON AIR ?!?!? PSI OP ?!?!

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceJ
Okay, don't know where to start. It seems the video is up to 4,000,000 to 7,000,000 views now. Which is great for the cause itself. Even if the LRA isn't currently in Uganda, that just means they are somewhere else.

The main issue I have with this is that stopping one person won't stop the LRA. I mean has toppling the leader ever dissolved such zealous groups? So I think the video would have benefited from showing less of the directors and more back story about the LRA itself. I get that it's easier to unite against one person, for focus, but it lacked conveying a historical basis I think. It time lined their own cause, but I wish it had time lined the LRA.

Second, there's a lot of various tumblrs and news articles being spread accusing them of how they spend their money. I don't know what I think yet on that, but I think he should probably make a public statement about it quick if it's untrue, because it's making plenty of people mad.

That said, regardless of how they spend their money, a service has still been done for those that weren't aware of the topic. Awareness is awareness. Just because you feel for the issue doesn't mean you have to back an organization you feel uncomfortable with, so don't let that deter you from the whole cause. We don't have to be a part of anything to simply speak out on our own.

Their campaign is somewhat flawed... 7 million people thus far have seen the video, and tomorrow it's all forgotten again by most of that 7 million. It might bring in more donations (main reason for the video imo), but it's not going to stop the problem.

They say the idea is to let eveyone know who Kony is, by turning him into a celebrity, they failed to forget that most people watching the video probably dont even live in Africa. It's not like anyone is going to bump into Kony in their local street and call a policeman!

I believe in helping any child that needs help, but I don't believe all the money raised will make the improvements they seem to claim.

Of the $8.6 million raised, apparently 32% has gone to direct services, what exactly are 'direct services'??

So they built a school they say, a friend of mine built a school in Africa for £20,000 (BGP), they 'could' have built approx 100 schools with the 32%.

I would like to see some details of what all this money has been spent on exactly....

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I've been seeing this all day on facebook and twitter and it has me fuming. I can't believe how clueless some people are, and can't see past the manipulation. This is just a reason for us to deploy troops in africa, Konys been doing this for 27 years or something like that and all of a sudden people care because its trending on twitter facebook and youtube. Its sicking how gullible some people are.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Figures theres a thread about this on ATS also. Not to be heartless but if something was to be done about this it woulda been done already, come on 26 years and people are now only standing up about it? Get real people.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
i agree that it all seems a little off
i cant tell what though
maybe the numbered bracelets.....maybe the wording or heavy emphasis on odd things like"only 2012"
maybe its the guy bringing his kid into it without enough understanding of the world to really understand what he was being told
i dunno
my conscious says SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT
my subconscious is telling me to run

i have very little doubt this joseph kony is a dangerous person and needs to be dealt with though

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
let's start an initiative...like catch one of 'em KONY fellas! Checkirout!

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Well, I learnt all about a version of Kony, from the eyes of my 13 year old daughter....

She was all riled up, 300 thousand kids raped and put into slavery she said, forced to shoot and kill half the population of Uganda she said...

I need some money dad, she said...

Right... So, I yanked her away from facebook and told her to get off the phone with her bestie who was also raging about Kony.

After a little looking into the whole situation I had to reel her back in to reality a bit. It took a long time to snap her brain back into thinking for herself. But after a good hour discussing it she felt a bit silly and quite frankly used. When figures were reduced by 270,000 she was still rightly angry. I told her thats good, its important to be mad even if it was only 1 child and there was no reason to inflate figures to gain extra emotive anger, indeed it can have an opposite effect.

She will instead make her own posters, to try in her own way to raise awareness and not line the pockets of a slick media campaign.

There is ENORMOUS power in social networks, Kony 2012 is proof of that, but it needs to be harnessed carefully because I feel this Kony thing will backlash and the next time a truly great movement is mounted, apathy will set in from a world population burned by hidden untruths.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I don't know if it has been mentioned but could there be any significance to 20th April being Hitlers birthday?

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Ok. I think things are a little out of hand here.
First of all, if you are quick to spout "DISINFO, PROPAGANDA!" are obviously unaware of the beginnings of this campaign. The Kony 2012 movement is not some new phenomena. There was international attention about the child abductions in Uganda long before Invisible Children was released, but it was that film that reaches the demographic you are currently complaining about.

Just think critically for a moment. This movement was started by 3 young American college graduates who seemed to have no purpose and wanted to experience something meaningful. As they documented the plight of the children, released the film, and created the non-profit. From there, nobody could have anticipated how it would take off. There are tons of documentary films released by college kids every year, have they enjoyed the same response?

Yes, this is a non-profit organization. I am the co-founder of a non-profit and I know a little bit about how they operate. Someone threw out that 32 percent goes to direct projects. Well, if you ask me, that is a pretty high percentage. Most people are totally unaware of the expense that is involved in operating ANY non-profit, not to mention one of this size and scope. Keep in mind, people need to be payed a salary for their services. Any non-profit that tells you that 100 percent of your donation goes directly to afflicted communities is straight out lying to you. There are huge administration costs: included but not limited to rent, utilities, fees for service (website creation ect,) supplies, airfare, the list goes on. Guess what? If these bills don't get paid, the movement flounders. If the movement flounders, no money at all goes directly to the afflicted.

Just because a movement is large doesn't mean its propaganda. Just because they report the only information they are getting doesn't make it disinfo. If it was, the civil rights movement, woman's voting movement, and Occupy Wall Street (which went hugely viral) would be in the same category.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

April 20th, or 4/20, has some other connotations, especially in the college community. Why don't we go there to if its gonna be that stretched?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
20th of April Kony Awareness Day is also Hitler's birthday.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I don't buy this. The cause may be a valiant one, but he is going through nothing but the most corrupt people in washington. If he really wants to help the kids of Africa and anywhere else for that matter, why doesn't he put his resources together to go after the Rothschild Family? That family alone has caused more deaths to humans than any others in recorded history. The fund both sides of every single war and have been for hundreds of years. Rothschild should be a household name.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
This started popping up on Facebook everywhere a few days ago and it made me feel uneasy. Today I was able to research it better and I'm happy I didn't support like a lot of other people did. I posted on my blog regarding the issue here's the link if anyone's interested: goeffy.blogspot.co.nz...

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarlboroRedCowgirl
Ok. I think things are a little out of hand here.
First of all, if you are quick to spout "DISINFO, PROPAGANDA!" are obviously unaware of the beginnings of this campaign. The Kony 2012 movement is not some new phenomena. There was international attention about the child abductions in Uganda long before Invisible Children was released, but it was that film that reaches the demographic you are currently complaining about.

Just think critically for a moment. This movement was started by 3 young American college graduates who seemed to have no purpose and wanted to experience something meaningful. As they documented the plight of the children, released the film, and created the non-profit. From there, nobody could have anticipated how it would take off. There are tons of documentary films released by college kids every year, have they enjoyed the same response?

Yes, this is a non-profit organization. I am the co-founder of a non-profit and I know a little bit about how they operate. Someone threw out that 32 percent goes to direct projects. Well, if you ask me, that is a pretty high percentage. Most people are totally unaware of the expense that is involved in operating ANY non-profit, not to mention one of this size and scope. Keep in mind, people need to be payed a salary for their services. Any non-profit that tells you that 100 percent of your donation goes directly to afflicted communities is straight out lying to you. There are huge administration costs: included but not limited to rent, utilities, fees for service (website creation ect,) supplies, airfare, the list goes on. Guess what? If these bills don't get paid, the movement flounders. If the movement flounders, no money at all goes directly to the afflicted.

Just because a movement is large doesn't mean its propaganda. Just because they report the only information they are getting doesn't make it disinfo. If it was, the civil rights movement, woman's voting movement, and Occupy Wall Street (which went hugely viral) would be in the same category.

Well, the 'not-for-profit' idea is not exactly very true. As you mentioned, someone is profiting from donations because look at all the people that get paid along the line!

Surely the idea of not-for-profit is just that, and everything that is done should be done for free, to help the cause?!

When only a small amount of money reaches its destination because lots of people have profited along the way, it makes people ask serious questions. It makes people less inclined to donate.

If you are setting up a not-for-profit organisation of sorts, you might no be profiting directly from your cause, but you are creating a sysem of profit for others.

No charitable organisation is completely not-for-profit, profits are used to pay people to work for the so called not-for-profit organisation. All those idiots that flag you down in the street trying to get you to sign up for some charity you have never heard of, they all make a profit from doing that job!

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
why are people saying kony 2012 anyway? do you want a child molestor to be president? anything can happen in America I guess.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join