It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So do other gods exist?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Interesting Post, I like Praetorius's comment below.

"Definitions are necessary. God, as regards the bible, is just a word translated from el/elohim meaning "mighty one(s)" in hebrew."

Who is to say for instance there wasn't an actual Thor or any other so called mythological god. We know for instance that certain things in the bibles history can be scientifically proved to have happened, such as the great flood. Maybe many of the ancient myths actually held some measure of truth to them as well.

Maybe people had some abilities perceived as "Mighty" hence godlike in the definition. Maybe there was an ancient advanced civilization and certain powerful artifacts remained seeming to have godlike powers to people who don't understand such as Thor's hammer. Maybe there actually were ancient aliens with technology that made them appear extremely mighty and godlike.

I think questioning is always good but anytime we assume and place absolutes ,such as the comment that all religious people are hypocrites, that seems like the height of ignorance and arrogance. That is basically claiming you are all knowing and everyone else is stupid, one main flaw with a lot of religions in the past in my mind.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by saint4God

Revelations is BS.

Again, nothing benevolent there. I find it interesting that you have to quote Revelations in order to validate the whole bible's contents pertaining to the people of this planet.

I love Jesus' message but I do not believe he represents the Old Testament God. If you read the Old Testament it reads like a horror story. This God did not care for people in general. Even in Genesis when Humans were doing very well for themselves he made sure we became separated. Destroyed the Tower of Babel. Made the Israelites give up their first born EVERYTHING.

I understand it is hard to accept, but the God that appeared to Moses on the mountain is clearly extra-terrestrial. He was jealous. He had to even prove to Moses he was 'special'. He had to make sure the rest of the people stayed away from the mountain in case they saw his 'glory' and rushed to see it. Moses had to keep his distance from this obvious craft otherwise it would kill him.

Ultimately I feel that Jesus brought a message of love. That inside each and every one of us is the truth. He didn't die to 'give' us eternal life. He died and 'resurrected' to show that there is life after death. Reincarnation exists and always has. I'm sure his message was changed to bring it in line with the negative Old Testament when and where it was possible. I do believe a lot of his message has been altered to make humanity believe that only through 'worship' of Jesus can we get to this place called 'heaven', which in turn restricts people to linear thinking. Keeps them ritualistic.

There are those who believe the Bible is unchanged because 'God' would not allow his word to be changed. But I believe that Free Will means that anyone can do anything to a book printed by man in order to restrict our progression as spiritual beings.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1977

Just read Genesis, Exodus, Ezekiel....they all give you hints that these aren't Gods but extra-terrestrials with advanced technology.

This God/Elohim even gave David a communication device during their crusades. It is clear for all to read. David just communicated with Elohim and then he'd come and pick him up and get him to safety.

This same God used this technology to part an ocean and shoot down fire to halt the Egyptians.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by binkbonk

There are multiple gods, that are a part of the species that created the human race.

The species is the Shaddayyin.
An individual of that species would be a Shaddai.
Genesis 17 has this episode where The Lord came to Abraham and He revealed to him that he was of the Shaddayyin, to be specific, El Shaddai. This is where this deity type individual promises Canaan to his descendants.

17:8 I will give the whole land of Canaan – the land where you are now residing – to you and your descendants after you as a permanent possession. I will be their God.”

There is a good video on YouTube called An Intro to Demographics of Syria. youtu.be...
The woman is explaining the history of what the territory had been at different times of Syrian history where at one point (5:50) she says that at its widest, it included Palestine, which she conceded was a bit of a stretch. What one should think is: was Palestine (formerly Canaan) its own county? The Shaddayyin were the powerful mountain entities, where in each territory of an individual Shaddai, there would be a mountain where one lived. To the north was Baal-Zaphon who lived on Mount Sapon. In Moab there was one on Mount Peor. So if Canaan was at one time an arguably independent territory, there would be such an individual connected with a mountain in it, possibly Zion.
If this individual was to give Canaan to Abraham, it would have to be the Shaddayyin of it.
Mythology would suggest that Salem was identified by Shem, after the flood, as the burial place of Adam, so possibly why he lived there and later came to be known as Melchizedek. This may have reconnected him to the old god of Adam, YHWH, who Abraham came to pay homage to when he visited Salem. Abraham being the direct heir to Shem by eldest son to eldest son, Melchizedek would have conferred with this particular god as to where Abraham and his descendants should end up living. The reason being, each god on each mountain would have planted their own garden below the mountain someplace suitable and created their own people for their own land. You see this in chapter one where the gods make man, then it starts over in a narrower way to focus in on a particular god and his garden and his man he made. So you have this reunion between the proper direct descendant of that first man made by this god, and the land of his garden and his mountain.
Of course this is all mythology of these particular Canaanites, where you always have this rivalry between the different tribes about who exactly are the "real" sons of god.

edit on 21-2-2012 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Of course not there is only one God. The father our Creator of us the universe. God is awesome

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

Originally posted by binkbonk
reply to post by Akragon

No there's just one magical man floating around in the sky listening to every menial thought you have. He is great but requires the worship of us measly sinners... Ah, yeah, ok I get it.

Clearly you don't "get it" my friend...

God does not "require" anything from anyone... Its your choice to seek him...

Yah... and if you choose to not follow him there isn't any punishment... except ETERNAL HELLFIRE!

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

Um...I dont think David was around during the Crusades.

"This God/Elohim even gave David a communication device during their crusades"

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   
"Gods" are living beings we don't currently understand. They exist, they alter human history. that much is certain. But all the details were misinterpreted by the ancients of the interactions they had. now we are left with a mess. For someone to claim they "know" more than that is foolish, i believe .

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder

Originally posted by binkbonk
reply to post by Akragon

No there's just one magical man floating around in the sky listening to every menial thought you have. He is great but requires the worship of us measly sinners... Ah, yeah, ok I get it.

Clearly you don't "get it" my friend...

God does not "require" anything from anyone... Its your choice to seek him...

Yah... and if you choose to not follow him there isn't any punishment... except ETERNAL HELLFIRE!

And what do you think those pitchforks are for?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   

reply to post by vaelamin

Personally i believe there is one true God... and many Entities masquerading as him...

As you can see within the pages of the bible, and many other religious texts as well

That's called marketing... and conflict of interest. Certainly fooled you!

IRM

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
no

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by CaLyps0

Yes there is one Lord allmighty God but he seems to state in the bible there are others beneath him. I always found it interesting why only the israelites worshipped God. Also jesus specificly states he only came down to help the lost sheep of israel. Considering jews also worshipped pagans deitys. Why is that? Everyone seemed to have been a complete screwup.

I also find it odd that if they arent real why would there be a law to not allow you to speak there names? Alot of history from what i understand history has been changed around so much or complety hidden from us i wouldnt be surprised what is and isnt real. Giants seems to be one of those possibiltys. There spoken about all over the bible and other religions and historys.

Some other things i have been wondering about was why would the israelites after seeing all the plagues of egypt and the parting of the redsea all of a sudden start rumbling and moaning about how God doesnt love them and then later on get scared when moses left them and create an idol to one of there false gods. I know that if i saw frogs fall from the sky rivers turn into blood and a huge fricking sea partways i know i wouldnt be believing in any other god. They must have seen other things as well earlyer in there life to make them even consider doing such a thing.

psalms 82:1 seems to bring up the biggest point of this.

'God standeth in the congregation of the mighty, he judgeth among the gods.' (Psalm 82:1)

Which states he is the judge over all of them. I cant seem to find anything in the bible where they even say these gods do not exist.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Are we not Gods?

What is a "God"? If 5000 years ago, man say they saw Gods and knew of Gods and were telling the truth, wouldn't the most likely explanation for those entities be Extraterrestrials? That is a rhetorical question, the answer is yes.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
-Arthur C. Clarke

If we were to travel 100,000 years into the future, we would think our grandchildren were Gods.

The more advanced you become, the greater your creative potential.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Star and Flag for a good question on a relevant matter. I too have wondered at the exact moment when the multiple God theory gave way to monotheism. In my educated and humble opinion the Gods, all of them, were Ancient Aliens, ET Beings from other planets. Some rebelled, and mated with human women, and thus was born the Ruling Class, the Kings and Pharaohs. To keep this Ruling Class in line, as it were, came the Church, and the Official Religion. The Official Religion had Laws that superseded all Kingly Rule, and as Kings come and go, the Church always stands. I think the One God theory came about when the other Gods took flight, and went away from Earth. The reason humanity personalizes God/Gods is because the real Gods/Ancient Aliens were human beings themselves. Perhaps bigger, taller, and with the knowledge to perform what could be termed as Magick, but in truth, humanoids.
Will the Ancient Ones ever return? I believe they will, but like everyone else, I am not sure of what to expect from them. They created humanity as a slave race, but look at us now....we have become like them. A barbaric, bloodthirsty race that dominates and ruins the very Home Planet they live on. I am sure the Ancient Gods will be pleased with us.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
'thou shall not bow down to a craven idol'
but yet every sunday,christians bow down to thair idol-the cross!!!
i think that is one of the more important commandments they are breaking!

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Here's an explanation for the "gods" in Psalm 82:1-6:

The most reasonable explanation is the view most widely held over the centuries. The “gods” referred to in Psalm 82:1 and 6 are the rulers of Israel, who have failed to carry out their responsibilities as God’s representatives in the ruling of the nation. Several lines of evidence support this interpretation: (1) The way elohim is used elsewhere in the Old Testament. The term elohim almost always refers to the one and only God, the God of Israel (Deut. 4:35,39). It sometimes refers to the so-called “gods” of the heathen (e.g. Judg. 11:24; 1 Kings 18:24). The term also occasionally identifies “… rulers, judges, either as divine representatives at sacred places or as reflecting divine majesty and power …” Several passages may use elohim in this sense:

bible.org...

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Who was Ba'al?

Baʿal (Biblical Hebrew בעל, pronounced [ˈbaʕal], usually spelled Baal in English) is a Northwest Semitic title and honorific meaning "master" or "lord" that is used for various gods who were patrons of cities in the Levant and Asia Minor, cognate to Akkadian Bēlu. A Baalist or Baalite means a worshipper of Baal. "Baʿal" can refer to any god and even to human officials; in some texts it is used as a substitute for Hadad, a god of the rain, thunder, fertility and agriculture, and the lord of Heaven. Since only priests were allowed to utter his divine name, Hadad, Ba‛al was commonly used. Nevertheless, few if any Biblical uses of "Baʿal" refer to Hadad, the lord over the assembly of gods on the holy mount of Heaven, but rather refer to any number of local spirit-deities worshipped as cult images, each called baʿal and regarded in the Hebrew Bible in that context as a false god.

en.wikipedia.org...

Plus, we all know from mythology, that there was a "god" created to explain everything that they couldn't understand, whether it was the God of Thunder, God of Fertility, etc. until they (not all) realized that there was one true God in control of everything.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Personally i believe there is one true God... and many Entities masquerading as him...

As you can see within the pages of the bible, and many other religious texts as well

Yes, because we are capable of translating a language generations apart from us, into a language that consists of many other languages, and have it come out perfect.

Nah, I don't think so. Besides, we read the Bible too literally.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

1 God (ELOHIM) standeth in the congregation of the mighty (lae-td;[]B
; he judgeth among the gods (Myhi$l)V). 2 How long will ye judge (WjP.v.Ti) unjustly, and accept (Waf.Ti) the persons of the wicked? Selah. 3 Defend (Wjp.vi) the poor and fatherless: do justice (WqyDic.h
to the afflicted and needy. 4 Deliver (WjL.P; ) the poor and needy: rid [them] (WlyCihi) out of the hand of the wicked. 5 They (the gods) know not (W[d.y" al), neither will they (the gods) understand (Wnybiy" al[w>); they (the gods) walk on (WkL'h;t.yI) in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course. 6 I have said, Ye [are] gods (~T,a; Myhi$l)V); and all of you [are] children of the most High (~k,L.Ku !Ayl.[, ynEb.W). 7 But ye shall die (!WtWmT.)45 like Adam,46 and fall (WlPoTi) like one of the Shining Ones.47

www.thedivinecouncil.com...

www.michaelsheiser.com...

This is the real true place to find out exactly what god said. Mike shows the true meanings of the words. Elohim for example can be used in plural form and singular. When its used in singular form, it mean GOD himself but when its used as a plural form it means the lesser gods. The lesser gods are any divine being. Angles, watchers and even humans who have past are lesser gods.

A psalm of Asaph. 1 God (elohim) stands in the divine council (literally, council of El); among the gods (elohim) He pronounces judgment. 2 How long will you (plural) judge unjustly, showing favor to the wicked? Selah. 3 Judge the wretched and the orphan, vindicate the lowly and the poor, 4rescue the wretched and the needy; save them from the hand of the wicked. 5 They neither know nor understand, they go about in darkness; all the foundations of the earth totter. 6 I said, “you (plural) gods (elohim), sons of the Most High (beney Elyon), all of you (plural); 7but you (plural) shall die as men do, fall like any prince. 8 Arise (the command is singular), O God (elohim), judge (the command is singular) the earth, for you (singular) shall inherit all the nations. Despite

www.thedivinecouncil.com...

Read up on everything that Mike has translated and you will understand how some words that were from the original Torah have been not translated correctly to Greek or English because sometimes there are no proper English words for Ancient Hebrew ones.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

Do some research!

If I was referring to the Roman Catholic crusades I would have said explicitly so. Given I didn't maybe I'm referring to another crusade by a type of military body against a foe.

IF I was referring to the Roman Catholic crusades I must have been under the illusion that Giants were around then too......WRONG.

It would be really nice if people researched something they don't quite understand instead of jumping to conclusions.

Please note I said "Their crusades"
edit on 22-2-2012 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join