It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greetings from Tasmania, bottom of the world, my prison, my home

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Tasmanaut

My main 'problem' is awkwardness, being a little shy and such. I work as a barman, something I took on to better myself in those areas, and I'm really polite and friendly, I just tend to have moments of panic under pressure and freeze up a little which must seem strange when all I have to do is pour beer

Unbelievable!

I was the same way and took the same approach to cure it. It helped to be a bartender, but only a little. I will tell you what cured it for me though. I moved from bartender to D.J., first dance clubs and then strip clubs that way it was a gradual process. I am 53 now and this problem of shyness has not bothered me for about twenty years now. But I will tell you that I paid hell when I first went into being a disc jockey, and paid it again when I went to get my first job in a strip club.

However now I am a manager of a Grocery Store and love to talk to people, but to be honest i miss the microphone. The "mike" gives you an anonymity that was useful to me to recover from shyness. I never really understood it really, but somehow it "being my job" helped me find the courage to do it. To this day, if you let me put on my Tux and put me on a stage in the middle of a big club with "nearly nekid" women I can say anything, dance around - I am performing. But if you take me to a little meat market on the edge of town and some girl asks me to dance the fear strikes and I cannot. Why? I guess somehow not being the center of attention takes the anonymity out of it for me. Sounds odd I know but I really think that being the center of attention now gives me security.

Does this make any sense to you?
edit on 14-2-2012 by Ittabena because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Hi mate! Welcome to ATS. Glad you made that difficult leap from lurker to poster....you will find such joyous release being able to talk here where you cannot in real life.

As for your predicament of feeling stuck down in Tassie, I would say come to the mainland but it's just as bad here mate. If I were you I would feel glad you are separated from the mainland.....far away from the circus that our government has become.

You should look into what other posters suggested, perhaps a cruise liner or something. If you can handle tough work you could always try for the mines in WA......BIG salaries to be made there mate.

Anyways, welcome again, keep your chin up and remember you're not alone!

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

ah yes, I was thinking of Flinders Island, and Robinson is the fellow my great great grandad worked along side of... I've never actually heard that other part of the story though, to my knowledge Truganini was the last to pass away... but then again, they don't teach us the history of things like that in school here, and even if they did, its hard to know the truth of the matter... and I've never thought to look much into it other than to hear about the relation of mine that played a part in the whole thing... not something to be terribly proud of I'm afraid.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Ittabena

Thanks for that, it's highly interesting indeed.

I'm not familiar with the politics, but Argentina actually has an Afrikaner enclave that was founded during the Boer War.

I'm HIV-poz, which has ruined my chances of entering a lot of Asian countries legally.
However, many people tell me they can set me up tomorrow (I'm more than qualified), and I must just arrive, and all one must do without the working visa is to leave the country for a week or so every year.
A lot of countries now understand more on HIV and that it can be managed (including the US recently), but I do fear their tropical diseases, like dengue fever in the East.

It's relevant to myself that you mention the Andean regions (which I think are cold to temperate), because the last I told my family about teaching English is that I wanted to go to Mexico.

I will be looking into this.
Since it's just a jump across the Atlantic, I often wonder why our ties with South America are so scarce.

edit on 14-2-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ittabena
I can say anything, dance around - I am performing. But if you take me to a little meat market on the edge of town and some girl asks me to dance the fear strikes and I cannot. Why? I guess somehow not being the center of attention takes the anonymity out of it for me. Sounds odd I know but I really think that being the center of attention now gives me security.

Does this make any sense to you?
edit on 14-2-2012 by Ittabena because: (no reason given)

This makes perfect sense to me... I've played a few gigs recently at the pub where I work, just me, a guitar and a big speaker for the vocals, and I'm right in my element, full of confidence... mind you, it was only a small audience, when I was expecting an epic sized one seeing as it was 'Australia Day'... But I relate to what you are saying

edit on 14-2-2012 by Tasmanaut because: screwed the quote up

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I forcibly took my self out my comfort zone and started working security from dev to burnie, now I own my own business
when I left tassie I sold my VR commodore and saved 2 centrelink pays and as much from wages as I could, I left with about 4 grand in my pocket lol. And if you saved a bit more you could move straight into a fully furnished place

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

My roommate's brother has been living in Thailand for quite a while now. If that helps let me know, he is rather well connected and has been writing papers for the sons of the elite there, and though he is coming home soon for "awhile" I am pretty sure he will be returning.

I know what has been done to South Africa in connection with the HIV problem and on other fronts, and I am sorry you are one of the very many victims. My country, and it's corporate drivers, have done a lot of harm to the people of this planet all in the quest of obscene riches. I am sorry for that, had it been up to me none of it would have happened.

Good luck and let me know if I can help you should you need it.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Cheers mate, I appreciate you stopping by and sharing that. I went for a little stay in Lakes Entrance in Vic not long ago, where my best mate now lives... I was there for 10 days and that's the time it took me to realise, it really is similar anywhere you go. The people seemed perhaps a bit friendlier maybe, but then again its not a massive town. I do love this country, but definitely not the way its being run or where its heading... I'm trying not to offend too many people with my first little thread here so I won't talk crazy theories and such... lets just say, I might be a little bit keen for a revolution of some kind... I don't particularly see it happening any time soon because I'm sure most Australians would say we have not a lot to complain about... But we will see

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlanQaida
I forcibly took my self out my comfort zone and started working security from dev to burnie, now I own my own business
when I left tassie I sold my VR commodore and saved 2 centrelink pays and as much from wages as I could, I left with about 4 grand in my pocket lol. And if you saved a bit more you could move straight into a fully furnished place

HAHA man, I would actually enjoy being a security guard or something, but being 5' 10'' and 63ish kilos, I can't see them hiring me... I am passionate about martial arts and strength training though, secretly hoping one of my friends becomes famous and needs a body guard... For now I do have my heart set on this music thing, If i can get a little show going around Tassie then I hope to take it to the mainland and tour all round... If I could save enough cash, or perhaps a loan (
BAD IDEA RIGHT NOW) It would be nice to open up a little bar and have the whole set up going... provide the music and have a little pizza shop in there too... I can dream

BUT this is also my problem. I don't place a lot of personal value on 'money' or 'success', until it gets me down in rut and I realize we all need money to live... oh but i've done a lot of reading and researching into the money system, fiat currency and all that jazz... Not to sound like one of the crazy occupy kids that have no clue what they're on about... I would have been one but there was no occupy near Devonport. Its just me. It'd look pretty silly chanting, I am the 99&
edit on 14-2-2012 by Tasmanaut because: added some more info

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tasmanaut

ah yes, I was thinking of Flinders Island, and Robinson is the fellow my great great grandad worked along side of... I've never actually heard that other part of the story though, to my knowledge Truganini was the last to pass away... but then again, they don't teach us the history of things like that in school here, and even if they did, its hard to know the truth of the matter... and I've never thought to look much into it other than to hear about the relation of mine that played a part in the whole thing... not something to be terribly proud of I'm afraid.

Absolutely fascinating.
Of course everyone's history has people involved in things that people today might not be proud of.
Tim Robinson remains a disputed figure today.
It's easy to judge in hindsight.
While the post-liberal history views him as anything from a genocidal maniac to a deluded fundamentalist, others maintain he had good intentions, and he viewed the dying (of imported diseases) of his aboriginal charges as an alarming tragedy.
Some say the 300 or so Aboriginals he gathered up and took to the mission would have maintained their race without his interference.
I'm not so sure.

Anyway, it would be great if you could tell me a bit more on how your ancestor was involved with Robinson, or anything you've heard.
I have a great passion for this type of history, although I realize most people aren't very interested.
I just always think that with every passing generation a story dies, and there's a sense of urgency of saving any little bit that remains.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

his name was Alexander Mckay, and I'm sure he thought he was doing a good thing, trying to 'help' the people.... probably more like my great great great great grandfather or something. I think he was a sent as convict for stealing a gold watch and was paroled at some point... It's fairly early in the morning and it's been a day without sleep now so sorry for the fuzzy details

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Thanks for that, but what was his relationship to Tim Robinson?

Anyway, feeling a bit bad because I'm diving into intellectual issues, whereas this is your introduction thread.

Enjoy ATS, and the mods are really helpful, and I've been here for a while, so don't hesitate to ask about anything.

Welcome.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

ah, I think I was confused there again... I think the Robinson I'm referring to is George Augustus Robinson... Don't feel bad, this is the most interesting discussion I've had in a very long time!

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

I might have been confused too with the exact Robinson.
I found this quite fascinating: The only recording of the Tasmanian language (1903).

It begins with inflections that are similar to European-style text (the Bible?), and then it goes into song.
Of course there may be more informed interpretations.

Oh, and perhaps a last question.

Do you believe that the Tasmanian Tiger is still alive today?

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
What a weird entrance. Whatever. lol

Welcome to this no less sick "place" that has just exactly the same problems you face out there in the real world.

Fortunately, these problems will last a few more years.
They're only getting properly started now. We're slow about this stuff, aren't we, we humans? You may think you live in a prison, but it can equally be a haven. Look at it from another perspective. Things always look better/worse depending on what you focus on. Basically, life is plus/minus zero all over the planet.

Start living the way you want your life to be. Make small changes that bit by bit improve your quality of life. It takes a little while to gain momentum, but once it does you'll be amazed at where you end up. Watch it happen. Make the first move.

I don't know why I feel like I have to type this here but here goes: "Be sure to argue a lot here. It helps." I removed it twice and felt it had to be put back each time.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicEgg

well friend, thank you for the words of wisdom. Many a time I've reached just that conclusion. I've taken small baby steps on the way to living life the way I want to. I live more or less separate yet alongside modern society. I may have come across depressed and pessimistic, but I do feel a momentum building. I guess you could say my emotional state is cyclical, increasingly more so, repeating in on itself, spiraling tighter and tighter... The main issue I'm facing right now is how to turn my ideals into a reality and to really live the way I've been meaning to, its just that the way i want to live... Is not exactly supported by this current 'paradigm'... I'm hoping for a global shift of some kind (aren't we all?) but if not, so be it. I'm working on the master plan now, a practical application, some kind of 'alchemy' to turn myself inside out so to speak... I get the feeling that joining ATS and communicating with other like minds is part of this process, so far its been rather interesting!

p.s, since discovering Bruce Lee, I've made a major difference to my health and well being, yes I'm a kung fu eastern philosophy nutter

edit on 14-2-2012 by Tasmanaut because: spelling error

edit on 14-2-2012 by Tasmanaut because: extra bit added

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

unfortunately I can't even load Youtube at the moment, my internet is capped for the month
but I'll look back on that next week when it resets again. As for the Tasmanian tiger, I don't discount the possibility that it may still be out there! There is a lot of unexplored bush in Tas that no man has ever set foot in

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Dogma is dogma, eastern or western. Doesn't matter. If you adhere to anything that is not of your own heart then it will not be right. It will lead to disappointment and disillusionment at some point. You heart is the only place you will find your truth.

[/sermon]

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicEgg

suppose that one has found a certain truth and lives with the curse of being unable to express it? Are we left with a paradox? Or has one made the false assumption of having found 'the truth', for surely if one knew the answer they could sum it up in a little statement to share with all beings?

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

We all have our own truth. No two are the same. You can look far and wide but you hold it inside you all the time. Doesn't matter where you are, your joy is with you once you discover it. All things being the same, they are.

Your discontent will always follow you. Your joy will too. It's entirely up to you. When you're ready, you will find a way.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join