It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greetings from Tasmania, bottom of the world, my prison, my home

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
You've heard it all before; long time lurker etc... It is nearly 5 am in the morning local time, rather than lurking as usual, something has driven me to finally sign up and say something, anything... I find talking about myself rather hard, I'm not a particularly interesting person if you were to ever see me out and about. I live on a little island state off the main land of Australia, they call this place Tasmania, 'Van Diemen's Land' in times gone by.

I'm soon to be 21 years of age. Perhaps first a little more background on who I am, then I'll get around to what brings me to ATS. I've lived a very strange life so far. For as long as I can remember, I've felt different to other people, mostly on the outer of social groups and situations. My relationships have been tragic and bizarre from an outside perspective, I was a Leonard Cohen type figure at the age of 13-18. From all the information I've managed to gather, I think i may have what they call 'Aspergers syndrome'... Personally, I just think I see things for what they are, beyond the bull#, and always have done so.

I'm a musician in my spare time, which is all the time, as there is very little employment to be had in Tasmania, unless you happen to be very good at selling yourself (which I am not)... There is also very little opportunity for a musician here (I'm talking folk, blues, good old fashioned heavy metal in the vein of Sabbath, even a little country...) unless you happen to play something trendy and have 1000 facebook friends ready to attend your shows.

A few years ago, I had an experience, that I understand I'm not allowed to discuss here, suffice to say it was profound and eye opening. At some point last year I became aware of this site in my quest for truth. My quest now turned from an inner journey of personal understanding to one of world wide understanding. I've been here, and I've read nearly all there is to read about certain topics, here and on other sites, books, etc... I sat watching there live feeds as my brothers and sisters tried to kick of a revolution oh so foolishly, wishing I could be there with them rather than be impotent on this little rock where no one gives a damn about the world as a whole.

The situation in Tasmania is utter ****. Me being who I am, I'm not great with small talk, and these people, living the comfortable, sheltered lives they do, have no concern for much other than their next pay check and when they will be getting drunk on the weekend. We are very sheltered as far as world events go, no one has much of a clue. The media here is a joke... The people are dim witted and oblivious, but for this I don't hate them nor hold a grudge, for I know all too well this is to be expected. Most people are unhappy with their lifestyle, trying to out do each other with the bit of money they do have... And yet there are still those that are very rich, exclusive and snobby, that have their own little piece of the pie on this island, buying their way into politics and such... Very slowly, our heath system, education system, economy, tourism, job market, in fact most things about this place are slowly going down the toilet, in a very slow, deliberate fashion. Just slow enough so as to not alarm anyone, and just obvious enough to really fire me up

And so I write this now in some kind of desperation, knowing full well not many will read nor care what I'm saying. Those of you that do read this and wonder, 'what is this guy on about', I'd be very happy to tell you, but it only gets crazier from here on in. I'm completely fed up, I've become detached and isolated from all but 3 of my friends, I've lost the ability to interact with people in a way that isn't extreme or laughed at. I sit, powerless, watching the world slowly crumble and burn, from the very bottom, sheltered away, unable to join the revolution, unable to start one. My gift is in seeing the truth, my curse is the inability to communicate it.

Tasmanaut
edit on 14-2-2012 by Tasmanaut because: spelling error

edit on 14-2-2012 by Tasmanaut because: another spelling error...

edit on 14-2-2012 by Tasmanaut because: ANOTHER mistake...

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Tasmanaut

Tasmanaut, I don't know what is going on down there in Tasmania but I do hope you keep you LIGHT lit for others to see the issues of your concern. Many here have lost friends and felt the detached feeling of sensing something that many others do not and have as well experienced the feeling of -well I mind as well just keep it to myself, unless otherwise get people thinking I am crazy, for things of personal interest to me so you are not alone. 1 does wish you well here in ATS and also recommends you keep a filter on to not get you sucked into the fake disinfo type threads designed to hide the truth from many and to force those who seek it to work hard to obtain what little truth we can.

With that welcome to ATS enjoy your stay..

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Warm Welcome to ATS...hope you find the answers you are looking for here.

Welcome to the ATS Family. Yes, we are a family here...now you belong to us...

Des

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I'm hoping that here of all places I may be of some use to the those that of like mind. I've seen many here but have so far been reluctant in signing up having a go at this, but I fear that time is short and I don't want to die without having tried to do something

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Do what everyone from tassie does at your age when they are lost and hopeless.... go to melbourne. I have spent a few years in tasmania myself and can say I empathise with you wholeheartedly but there are people out there on your wavelength you just need to get out into the world and find them. Welcome to ATS.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Gday Tassie.
Welcome.
Even though you come from that weird little block of land below Australia ,I just want to say hi to you and your second head.
Greetings from Newcastle NSW.

Even though this isn't leonard cohen singing, I hope you enjoy anyway.

edit on 14-2-2012 by WozaMeathed because: Changed the clip/link

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Interesting to read your narrative, since I always thought Tasmania would be a nice place to consider for emigration when the SHTF in South Africa.

From what I saw on travel programs it looks like a lovely landscape.
While a lot of people here consider the more obscure towns in Australia or New Zealand as quiet and safe places to raise their kids, I worry that when those those kids become teens they might resent that very isolation.

You seem to have two sets of issues:
1. The isolation of Tasmania from global music scenes, and what are interested in at present.
2. Inter-personal problems, which occur everywhere.

You're young, and that sudden sense of loneliness when the teenage pack dissolves is felt by many people.
Don't fall into depression and self-pity.
Things do get better.
Leonard Cohen was 33 when his first album was released!
Perhaps you should consider travel in the future - teaching English or working on a cruise liner (at least your age and country provides limitless options for visas compared to some others).

Anyway, enjoy the site, and I look forward to your threads and perspectives.
edit on 14-2-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
The place itself is beautiful, but living and working here is a different story, goods cost more than anywhere else in Australia... But as far as SHTF scenarios go, it would make a good place for surviving in the bush land. I agree with your assessment, to an extent. I don't see myself as having any major mental or social problems, rather it is the society around me that is sick and I simply don't want to be a part of it. Any effort so far has only gotten me ridiculed. I would love to travel, very much so, but alas I simply can't afford it. I've come to the conclusion, I will probably never be able to afford it, If i were to work and save for years then I may just be able to, but that period of working and saving would sap me of my will and strength to do much else. I've considered many means believe me
right now I'm just hoping to make it week by week as prices continue to rise

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Van Diemen's Land' in times gone by.

paraphrased

"nearly 5 am in the morning,,
something has driven me to finally sign ,,,,
as my brothers and sisters tried to kick of a revolution,
where no one gives a damn about the world,,

chorus
cause its,,,Van Diemen's Land in times gone by,
in times,,,,,,
gone by,,,,

etc,,,

there ya go,,
get a band
and write some more stuff.

just have too know what too sculpt away,,

ohh and most of the really big greats,started in their garage/basement,,soooo,,,
dosent matter where if ya got that bug,,
ohhh it dont matter where oh lord,,
opps sorry..lol

Me.
Me.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

I hear you, but you certainly can travel and work.

Check out English teaching in Taiwan, Korea or Thailand on the Internet.
Also check out cruise-liner jobs.

Lot's of people are doing it here, even though our visas are no longer considered so good, and one has to twist legalities (which some Asian countries are willing to do).
Australian English is a valuable commodity, and you can earn a very good salary.
I know people here who go twice a year and they've built up real capital.
They also get valuable experience, and are easier to employ than people with degrees.

It's up to you, but you can travel (unless you have some major medical condition).

Anyway, on Tasmania specifically, I wanted to ask you about aboriginal rights: are the aborigines extinct or not, because one gets conflicting information?

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

HAHA! that gave a smile
I do have a band of sorts, i've made many recordings and they're damn good, damn good indeed... I just don't have a means of promotion or a 'fan base' that I'm aiming at, I simply refuse to do that, I know that it's a possibility but then again, my only 'gimmick' is that I'm 100% genuine, so its a bit of a dead end. I'm not even pessimistic or depressed if I sound that way, I've found a place of peace where I can accept that my opportunities are limited and I'm going to live a rather 'dull' life by some standards, but I've already found a thing or two that others spend a life time searching for.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

First of all welcome to ATS where you can be yourself. Some people think I am crazy, I am sure. But I have researched my way to this set of beliefs, always following what my father the cop taught me; "You have to go where the evidence leads you, even if you don't like where it leads you."

IMO you can be popular, or you can be correct, but you cannot be both if you are a thoughtful persons who considers things. Indeed considering things is an unpopular past time these days all by itself. On thing though...

A few years ago, I had an experience, that I understand I'm not allowed to discuss here, suffice to say it was profound and eye opening.

I am clueless as to what you are talking about and just as curious as a cat. I U2Ud you on this even though I know that you have to get in 17 more posts to be able to reply - if I remember correctly.

Anyway, a flag for you for being a person who thinks. Welcome, we need more of your kind here.

Itta
edit on 14-2-2012 by Ittabena because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Hello fellow taswegian
I'm originally from the north west coast, Devonport area
I now live in Qld.

To say the least I understand where you are at, I've been there, I have seen the ugly side of the ol tassie society, it's not pretty.. People love to talk # and backstabbing each other, the feeling is like being in a rut and suffocated.

If you want to travel try for a job on a cruise ship or at a big resort some where

There's nothing wrong with you by the way, it sucks to be normal and surrounded by imbeciles.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

I will say at this point, thank you for suggesting that, I suppose I have never considered it as a dead serious option. My main 'problem' is awkwardness, being a little shy and such. I work as a barman, something I took on to better myself in those areas, and I'm really polite and friendly, I just tend to have moments of panic under pressure and freeze up a little which must seem strange when all I have to do is pour beer
On the subject of Aboriginals, the 'full blooded' Tasmanian Aboriginals are indeed extinct, though there are descendants still living. It's quite shameful to admit, but my great great grandfather was one of the 'negotiators' that struck a deal with the last Tasmanian Aboriginals to leave the island and make a little colony on King Island (I think it was King Island?), where they all subsequently died...

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by AlanQaida

DEVONPORT SWEET LORD NO!!!! yes... i went to school there, I live in Port Sorell though... What a giant bogan cesspit it was/is! I have to visit it frequently, and it just gets better and better

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Check out English teaching in Taiwan, Korea or Thailand on the Internet. Also check out cruise-liner jobs.

halfoldman,

greetings from Washington State.

I have been considering doing the same thing in South America as I speak a little Spanish and would like to do it better. Also I have been following the Bolivarian Movement that has been going on down there for a while and would really love to help them throw off the yoke of Yanqui Imperialism. Our neighbors in the South seem to be smarter than many of us here in the Estados. They can separate the goals of the people of a country from the goals of the government which rules them. Maybe you should consider a different destination than Asia. Spanish is a relatively easy language to learn...

Here in the States we have been so dumbed down that some of us seem to be in a race to the bottom. It is sad.
edit on 14-2-2012 by Ittabena because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Ah you live in portsy.. Poor fella I probably know you lol. Although I used to go fishing out squeaky point back in the day lol

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Wow, that's very interesting on the aboriginals.

I think it was the Flinders Island, and they were coaxed out of the bush by a missionary called Robinson, via an aboriginal woman called Trugannini.

They said those were the last aboriginals, who died under a tyrannical missionary regime.

However later a group of sealers who had aboriginal ancestry from an island (perhaps the one you mention) claimed sole representation, and they came into conflict with mainland Tasmanian descendants, and the last I heard the so-called Palawa tribe was arguing with the Liu Poota tribe, although some right-wing whites said it was all a load of hogwash.

I have some family in Sydney now, and they went to Tasmania on a holiday, and they enjoyed it very much.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

welcome to it buddy!

Sounds like your lil island is about what America is right now on a microscale.....

Sorry to hear about your troubles.......

On the up side, I guess you guys are so out of the way and out of mind, when crap does happen you will probably be glossed over!

So theres a silver lining....

I hope you find what you are looking for bud, I have a lot of friends from that area of the world

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Welcome to ATS.

I understand your feeling, but the following words may not gel well with you...

I would consider you lucky where you are, in a place where there is no strife or chaos, unlike many other places around our sad world.

It may seem boring to you personally in your own place, and long to see the world...but many...many ...would gladly trade places with you right now this moment if they could....

You are still young, with a whole life ahead of you, and much much more adventures await you if you should wish for it, dream upon it and then courageously WORK towards it. You live in a democracy which allows you such freedom, which not many in our world can say the same....

Make friends, and love your neighbours as you must love yourself, appreciate this gift of life where you are if you can, so as to mature with valuable experiences. One day, what you have may been taken away, for change is the only constant in life, thus be happy and find happiness daily, no matter how small it may and LIVE this precious gift of life given to you. Nothing, absolutely nothing in this life is more precious than you and those you love and care about.

We live in an interconnected world, and news are often only minutes away as long as you are here, to lend your support or views or insights to help our world. EVERYONE counts in our world, more so you, the youths whom will inherit our world, and DO HAVE the right to shape it the way you wish it to be, provided you are FULLY aware of the mistakes our previous generations had made, and now to correct it so that the next innocent generations can be spared..

Good luck and cheers!:-)
edit on 14-2-2012 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join