It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian scientists seeking Lake Vostok lost in frozen 'Land of the Lost'?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by doubledutch

Doubledutch,

I think your four theories are possibilities.

If it isn't comm failure and they are all dead, I wonder if they will ever say so...and if they do, what the cause will be attributed to.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

cheers.... just trying to keep it sain and rational, unlike the other thread I read on this earlier with the op attributing it to a giant monster escaping and eating them all... or some sh!t.

Yeah the annoying thing is I doubt we will ever know whats going on down there.

remember that Russian ship that got stuck in the ice a little while ago? that was all over the news, I cant find much on this story and imo this is waaaaay more news worthy and interesting... this has huge conspiracy written all over it!

edit to add:

But the scientists came up with a clever way to make sure this debacle would not occur. They agreed to drill until a sensor warned them of free water. At that point they will take out the right amount of kerosene and adjust the pressure so that none of the liquids fall into the lake, but rather lake water would rise through the hole. Priscu was concerned for his colleagues, but also admits the stunning scope of the story. "It could be fodder for a great made-for-TV movie," he said. Read more: www.foxnews.com...

Taken from the op's source article

ok so now theory number 5 seems a bit more feasible... what I don't understand is that if there is a 2000 ft high air gap between the water and the ice, how will water be pushed up the hole?
edit on 3-2-2012 by doubledutch because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
found another story on this:

global post

not that it sheds anymore light on the subject!

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
weather it's 13 million or 15...think it's irrelevant. If it's only a few hundred thousand...it is still non the less interesting.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Oops...just found this after I posted about it. Odd....didn't come up on a search earlier.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Remember "At The Mountains Of Madness" by Lovecraft?

A team of scientists split up, one group staying where they're at, the other team flying by plane to this obscure location where they find bizarre landscapes. Eventually the first group loses contact with them, and when they go to investigate, discover that the entire team has been murdered by something.

Sounds familiar.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
*switches threads*

Ok, so I think that they hit the water and it caused some sort of eruption.

Maybe it got all of their equipment wet or something.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

Ehem What gave you the erupting water Idea? =]

It also could be they ran out of power or fuel in the middle of the night and just froze to death.
edit on 3-2-2012 by truthinfact because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by truthinfact

That was just the thought that entered my head when I read another thread about it.
In my mind I can see how this would happen. All of that water is under pressure. I don't think they would even have to actually make it to the water before it would blow, but that's just what my own thoughts make me suspect.

Kind of like an oil well.
edit on 3-2-2012 by Darkblade71 because: added the oil well idea

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

lol I said that cuz I just told you the same thing in your thread hahaha

I was thinking it would be even more pressurized, because its shooting up a hole that is only like two inches in diameter... Thats literally deadily!

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
The other thought I was playing with was that they hit the water and everything around the hole caved in.
Like a giant sink hole.

But these are just ponderings about what if's.

I hope they are ok, and it is just a technical glitch.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I was just reading that this lake is believed to have high concentrations of nitrogen and oxygen, maybe they were suffocated when the gases rose to the top? ala lake nyos

Although a sudden outgassing of CO2 had occurred at Lake Monoun in 1984, killing 37 local residents, a similar threat from Lake Nyos was not anticipated. However, on August 21, 1986, a limnic eruption occurred at Lake Nyos which triggered the sudden release of about 1.6 million tonnes of CO2; this cloud rose at nearly 100 kilometres per hour (62 mph).[4] Killed over 1300 people

from ^ lake nyos disaster wiki page, lake releasing gasses killed over 1000 people

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I like Theory #5:

They drilling crew and everyone else is full to the eyeballs with celebratory Vodka.

They hit the mark and are celebrating? with lots of enthusiasm?

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ManjushriPrajna

hi - see my earlier posts... my question about the giza effect, ie the water being forced out of the lake and up the hole is:

if there is a 2000 ft bubble of air above the water, under the ice, how would the water get out? is this possible?

I ask as i have no idea about this kind of stuff

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by kimish
There is already like 5x10000 threads on this already.
"Please use the search function before making a post"
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thank you, come again.

ETA: I do enjoy your Threads Calgarian
edit on 2-2-2012 by kimish because: (no reason given)

None of those are about them being "lost" though. I know there was a few threads on it, yet I think the fact they are not responding and their fate is unknown is worth a topic of it's own?

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by nineix

hahahaha thats way better than my idea

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Perhaps they found that forerunner artifact that's been buried there, and it was maybe some sort of teleportation device?
Just throwing out ideas here.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   

like scenario 4 in my earlier post? check it out on page 1

great minds think alike!
edit on 3-2-2012 by doubledutch because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Thanks for the update OP. Was just reading about this last night. Last I heard the scientists were going to pour kerosene down the hole to keep it from re-freezing before they took off for the winter. Now they are just gone? No GPS or sat phone? Thats weird... Then again the coldest temperature ever was recorded there. That kind of enviornment things can go bad fast. I hope they are ok and safe.

Ever since I learned about this lake the movie "The Thing" keeps running through my head. An eco-system enclosed and cut off for 10-20 million years could hold some interesting finds... Then again it could hold nothing but alot of clean water. Wonder how mutch a bottle of that would cost? They say it's cleaner than water thats been distilled 2 times.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

I agree. Very fascinating. You have caught my attention.

Vodka got the best of me last night, so, apologies all around.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join