It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was The Titanic Destroyed By A German Submarine?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by blocula
the Japanese Navy devastated the Russian Navy in 1905 with torpedos fired from submarines,so a torpedoe could very easily have sank the Titanic 7 years later in 1912...

The history of the "torpedo" goes back to before 1800.

Check out this in depth wiki on the torpedo.

The technology was sufficiently developed into what we would call the modern Torpedo by the time the Titanic was sunk. In fact, I discovered that the airplane dropped torpedo was patented in exactly the same year as the Titanic disaster.

The end of the war fuelled new theories, and the idea of dropping lightweight torpedoes from aircraft was conceived in the early 1910s by Bradley A. Fiske, an officer in the United States Navy.[12] Awarded a patent in 1912,[13] [14] Fiske worked out the mechanics of carrying and releasing the aerial torpedo from a bomber, and defined tactics that included a night-time approach so that the target ship would be less able to defend itself.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Argyll
reply to post by blocula

If German subs sank the Titanic in 1912, why do you think they did it?.......what did they have to gain?

As you can see in my above post here on page 2, the airplane dropped torpedo was developed the same year as this event. So it could have been anything, a random submarine attack, an airplane attack, an iceberg, explosives planted within, or even something else.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

In my opinion you are just assuming things based on what you want to believe. I personally prefer to remain open to all logical possibilities until ultimate proof is revealed. But to each his own.

I have assumed nothing at all.

My opinion is that the Titanic hit an iceberg, all the evidence of the wreckage, survivors testimonies, point to an iceberg.

In my opinion you are just assuming things based on what you want to believe.......did you see what I did there?

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   

As you can see in my above post here on page 2, the airplane dropped torpedo was developed the same year as this event. So it could have been anything, a random submarine attack, an airplane attack, an iceberg, explosives planted within, or even something else.

But you haven't answered the question I asked

Why did they do it?

What did they have to gain?

tensions weren't high between Germany and the USA or UK at the time.....all the tensions were over in eastern Europe......why would Germany launch.....and to quote you.... "a random submarine attack"?

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

Good job not reading any of the links I posted.

The motive behind such a theory was clearly elaborated upon.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobLoblaw84
reply to post by blocula

Wouldn't survivors accounts of the event have listed some sort of explosion if this had been the case?
The ship hit the ice,or was struck by a tropedo,just before midnight,so i would imagine a lot of passengers would have been asleep and most of those that were not sleeping, would have been quite far from the impact zone and would have only heard a distant muffled sound and they would have been further distanced by the thickness of the ship and the torpedo striking and detonating under water.Those down below in the engine room,right where the imact zone was,i think most,if not all of them died right then and there,or soon afterwards.
edit on 24-11-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

but passenger accounts revealed that the impact simply send a mild shudder. A torpedo would be a bang
edit on 24-11-2011 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   

reply to post by blocula

And this very possible German sinking of the Titanic and the tragic loss of many innocent lives,was kept a closely guarded secret,to prevent what would have erupted into a major War,only 2 years before the start of World War-1 and so the story given to the public of the Titanic striking an iceberg and then sinking was a cover story that has lingered on through the years...

Why would "they" keep it secret?

If what you are saying were true, then the first world war would have (probably) started in 1912

Who had what to gain.....and why?
The wheels of the war machine were starting to turn in 1912 and the public outcry,in Ireland,England and America and elsewhere would have been huge and that international, perhaps violent public reaction would have been one of the main reasons for hushing the truth...

When the Arch Duke and wife were assassinated in Sarajevo in 1914,the militant situation and rumors of war in Europe had already reached another level...

Germany sank the Lusitania in 1915 with a submarine launched torpedo,why would'nt they have done the same to the Titanic in 1912?

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicWaterGate

Huh? Can you please translate that to english?

I got no clue what yer on about there mate

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by scotsdavy1
this place would have a conspiracy if someone went to the toilet and couldn`t pee!
for goodness sake, think before you open another one.
I presented enough information,facts and figures in my opening statement to give creedence to the very real possibility that the Titanic was sunk by a German Submarine launched torpedo.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Before anyone can entertain such a daft theory (and it is..It has been pretty much proven this ship hit an iceberg..the conspiracy is actually whether this was the Titanic that sank) then you need to answer one question..

WHY WOULD A GERMAN U-BOAT ATTACK A BRITISH FLAGGED PASSENGER LINER IN 1912?

Think about it...

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun
reply to post by blocula

As I recall from the video of a few years ago of the ship, that mere "gash" was over a hundred feet long. No torpedo or interior explosion will leave that type of evidence. Unless you want to invent a conspiracy of coverup for this event, you gotta go with the evidence.
What the gash would look like right after it happened and what it would look like after laying at the bottom of the corrosive salt water ocean for around 100 years would be two different things i would think...

And someone else had commented here in this thread that some of the survivors heard "multiple explosions" and the German Submarines of the time period could have fired at least 2 torpedos...

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Thanx again for more really interesting facts and i think its been proven here that a submarine launched torpedo could have sank the Titanic in 1912.Torpedoe and Submarines were easily advanced enough in 1912...

And i was'nt aware of the invention of the air dropped torpedo in 1912 either...

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
The German U-boat command was very very careful about it's targets, especially in during the 1st world war. Mistakes were made of course, but U-boat commanders were under strict orders. One must remember that the German Navy held herself as a very honorable institution, and the slaughter of innocent civilians was not an option when it could be helped. Either way, as an earlier poster pointed out, the detonation of a torpedo is not an event that would go unnoticed by people aboard a targeted ship, so unless the U-boat rammed the Titanic then the answer is no, the Titanic was not sunk by a U-boat.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by scotsdavy1

This was not an insult in any way. I have researched the titanic and have even saw the plaque that was erected to the person who was allegedly shot for refusing to stop people going into the lifeboats.
Where you got into your head it was an insult is sadly mistaken.
It was struck by an iceberg pure and simple, if you saw all the films about the cameras that went deep into the ocean where it lies you would see for yourself it was not a torpedo that hit it.
What I was trying to say was for every thing that happens in this world, someone comes up with a conspiracy and the insult is to the thousands who lost their lives because of the lack of lifeboats and the accident that happened.
A survivor in one of the films even said she heard the scraping noise of the iceberg and not an explosion at first, there were explosions late because of the engines blowing up,etc but in no way was it a submarine.
So I am not insulting the memory of the titanic, far from it.
And I have researched this in great detail over the years and do know what I am talking about. Doyou?
edit on 24-11-2011 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-11-2011 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)
This survivor already knew what massive sheets of metal sliding against giant chunks of floating ice sounds like? How would she know thats what she heard if she never heard it before?

And unfortunately one way or another,a lot of people were destined to die that night and i have insulted them in no way at all...

How could proving their deaths occured by ice or torpedo be any more or less insulting to them now?...

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

What the gash would look like right after it happened and what it would look like after laying at the bottom of the corrosive salt water ocean for around 100 years would be two different things i would think...

Not really, but if you wish to prove your Torpedo theory (ignoring the glaringly obvious question I posted above) then you can find images of ships sunk by torpedo from around the same time and compare. The damage will be distinctly different.

And someone else had commented here in this thread that some of the survivors heard "multiple explosions" and the German Submarines of the time period could have fired at least 2 torpedos...

The explosions were cold sea water getting into the boiler rooms, causing large steam explosions.

Eye witness testimony proves an iceberg was there, they hit the iceberg and it was an iceberg that sank the ship.

On the night of Sunday, 14 April 1912, the moon was not visible in the clear sky (being two days before new moon), the temperature had dropped to near freezing, and the ocean was flat calm. Captain Smith, in response to iceberg warnings received via wireless over the preceding few days, had drawn up a new course which took the ship slightly further southward. That Sunday at 1:45 pm,[note 3] a message from the steamer Amerika warned that large icebergs lay in Titanic's path, but because wireless radio operators Jack Phillips and Harold Bride were employed by Marconi,[53] and paid primarily to relay messages to and from the passengers,[54] they were not focused on relaying "non-essential" ice messages to the bridge.[55] Later that evening, another report of numerous large icebergs, this time from Mesaba, also failed to reach the bridge.

At 11:40 pm, while sailing about 400 miles (640 km) south of the Grand Banks of Newfoundland, lookouts Frederick Fleet and Reginald Lee spotted a large iceberg directly ahead of the ship. Sounding the ship's bell three times, Fleet telephoned Sixth Officer James Moody on the bridge exclaiming, "Iceberg, right ahead!". First Officer Murdoch, hearing Moody repeat the message, gave the helmsman, Robert Hichens, the order "hard-a-starboard", using the traditional tiller order for an abrupt turn to port (left). Moody, stationed behind the helmsman, confirmed to Murdoch that his order had been carried out correctly.Murdoch adjusted the engines (ordering through the telegraph for either "full reverse" or "stop" of the engines; survivor testimony on this conflicts)

Like I said, if you want a Titanic conspiracy, it's whether it was her at all and not her crippled sister ship as an insurance con.....

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spruk
reply to post by blocula

Oh dont get me wrong, im not saying its impossible, im just saying its unlikely.

The main stay point (besides the damage) is the lack of witness account of an explosive impact. From what i recall it was all centered around a groan style impact (which means it hit something as the boat was moving, instead of the reverse which would be a thudding style impact).

Only food for thought.
Struck by a torpedo first "the explosions heard" and then lost steering which caused it to veer off into an iceberg causing "the groaning sounds"?...just a thought,anythings possible...

"All of the wealthy and powerful men that the jesuits wanted to get rid of were invited onboard the Titanic"...Hmmmm?...I seriously doubt that was a coincidence...

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
One of many eye witness accounts from survivors that state an iceberg hit the ship and ripped a long gash into her hull.

Snippet:

L.Beasley's Story
Thrilling Account by L. Beasley

Collison only a slight Jar - passengers could not believe the vessel doomed- narrow escape of lifeboats- picked up by the Carpathia.

Among the most connected and interesting stories related by the survivors of the Titanic was the one told by L.Beasley, of Cambridge, England. He said:

The voyage from Queenstown had been quite uneventful; very fine weather was experienced, and the sea was quite calm. The wind had been a westerly to southwesterly the whole way, but very cold, particularly the last day; in fact after dinner on Saturday evening it was almost too cold to be out on deck at all.
Only a Slight Jar

I had been in my berth for about ten minutes, when at about 11.15pm, I felt a slight jar and then soon after a second one, but not sufficiently violent to cause any anxiety to anyone, however nervous they may have been. However, the Titanic's engines stopped immediately afterward, and my first thought was, 'She has lost a propeller'. I went up on the top deck in a dressing gown and found only a few people there, who had come up similarly to inquire why we had stopped, but there was no sort of anxiety in the minds of anyone.

W saw through the smoking room window a game of cards going on, and went in to inquire if they knew anything; it seems they felt more of a jar, and looking through the window had seen a huge iceberg go by close to the side of the ship. They thought they had just grazed it with a glancing blow, and that the engines had stopped to see if any damamge had been done. No one, of course, had any conception that the vessel had been pierced below by part of the submerged iceberg.

The game went on without any thought of disaster and I retired to my cabin, to read until we went on again. I never saw any of the players or on lookers again.

source: www.titanicberg.com...

can't get better info than many whom were actually there and witnessed the tragedy.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   

reply to post by blocula

If German subs sank the Titanic in 1912, why do you think they did it?.......what did they have to gain?
At the start of World War-1,during the month August-1914,the Germany Navy had 48 U-Boats of 13 classes in service or under construction...

The passenger liner Lusitania,which entered service in 1907 and had a length of 787 feet,was sunk by a single torpedo launched from a German U-boat on May 7th 1915 with a loss of 1,198 lives...

Why would'nt they have wanted to sink the Titanic in 1912 and provoke desired political reactions and war?...Germany provoked a lot things that resulted in misery and death throughout their history,like WW-2 in Europe for example...

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
For like 75 years or so after 1912,survivors who were there and saw it and experts studying the Titanics disaster afterwards,could'nt even agree or decide if the stern of the ship rose high up into the air or not...

Never mind what the ship hit or what sank it...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join