It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Plus-One coming to ATS on a trial basis...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Cyanhide

No, I favor this.

Google is by far one of the most well respected and straightforward companies out there. They actually tell you when they sell your identity and more than often give you well in advance the right to get out of it.

Despite knowing more things about more people than anyone on the world, they are quite frankly secure and know what they're doing with the information, which cannot be said for facebook or other places.

Great, now I sound like an advertisement.

Point is, Google's policy of "don't be evil", is quite a good one.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

I'm loving the irony, After all the threads here on ATS about Google,and what they represent,

How evil Bill Gates is , and everything it gets his hands on.

This is mockery,laughing at the people here on the boards.

The age of hypocrisy.

link   

link   
Google has a reputation for being unsavory data miners whom have and will hand over information to help any prosecution of any crime, percieved or real.
I would rather stick a fork in my eye than sign up with anything...and for some stupid reason, google keeps trying to log me in randomly whenever I check my mail accounts...doesn't ask if I want to log in, just auto-does it and starts piling on the info of my search history, etc.

Screw them!

However, I don't care about the little emblem thingie...many people will use it and it may push them over here (possibly)...or make something convenience for users..
If the admins here say there is no data transfer back and forth, then theres no data transfer back and forth..doesn't matter anyhow as I am anonymous here...

Just a warning to anyone whom signs up with google...I mean, we know the risks and issues with facebook, and facebook is actually the "good guy" in comparison...google search is a hair short of being skynet...expect everything you ever post, link to, or search through their social experiment network to be cataloged, filed under a nice pile of your name, and given to whatever alphabet organization desires it.

just saying.

On the flip side, I think there is a certain beauty in having an entire onlife life recorded of a person...it could make some great AI learning tools to study the entire spectrum of a person's life.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
another step towards becoming a fully fledged social networking site.

Well, that's not our intent, and likely not a direction we'll be considering.

As we've been saying since 2004, our overarching goal is to promote and increase the awareness of what our members contribute. Everything we've done since then has had that directive as our prime driving-force. For example, we've had lots of queries from some notable names to create premium/original content, for a fee -- which most likely would have increased our overall notoriety quickly, but for the wrong reasons. Our response to such queries has always been, "just join as a member and contribute."

ATS will always maintain a focus as a content site, where the content is comprised of the contributions of our members.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by zookey

Does it disable ads?
"Small" websites like this rely on the occasional ad being clicked...so telling people how to remove ads is sort of a no no overall...like going into a restaurant and telling people how to get free food I guess.

edit on 26-7-2011 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by Cyanhide

"Trust Google"
"Google is your friend"

And these suckers are gunna eat it up.

wtf is happening to this site?

link   

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Actually, upon considering that, I might actually entertain signing up for a social networking experience with ATS if it was all about the privacy and non-collectionist abilitys...

Would trust ATS social network far more than google's anyhow.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
I might actually entertain signing up for a social networking experience with ATS

I can't tell you how many times we've seen a similar sentiment and request.

My problem is what members would voluntarily contribute that would compromise their privacy -- as we see all the time with Facebook.

link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

As we've been saying since 2004, our overarching goal is to promote and increase the awareness of what our members contribute. Everything we've done since then has had that directive as our prime driving-force. For example, we've had lots of queries from some notable names to create premium/original content, for a fee -- which most likely would have increased our overall notoriety quickly, but for the wrong reasons. Our response to such queries has always been, "just join as a member and contribute."

ATS will always maintain a focus as a content site, where the content is comprised of the contributions of our members.

That BS, do you guys still read your own forum? How many times has Google came across as being just evil,

Bill gates vaccine ? that the more recent one,or was it the Bill Gates wanting to re-invent the toilet?

Your site says Deny Ignorance,yet the decisions you guys are making scream embraces ignorance.

FUBAR I tell ya.

link   
What about that google plus is showing option. Does that completely disable the google plus widget, or just hide them visually.

link   
Somebody just started a thread about google capturing locations of cell phones and wireless routers, yes they're like the Obama of the internet but they are and have always been a privacy risk. I don't like it one bit...

This doesn't need to be a social networking site.

(insert IP Address) plus-oned this page at 5:55pm and (insert ATS screenname) posted at 5:54pm. put him on the watch list.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cyanhide
you guys are making scream embraces ignorance.

As I've indicated, the decision was made after lots of questions and research into the actual functionality. And still, we provide an opt-out -AND- a heads-up to members.

How can you have an issue with that?

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Can't we be old fashioned and take a vote? See how many members are interested. Majority rules.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I like it; I like the way ATS and our member’s knowledge is spreading.
If I may give an example.

I have always had a hard time 'debating' with family and close friends around fringe and conspiracy subjects especially including the Government. They would question my intelligence, rationale and even sanity.

However, now that I refer them to well laid out threads or the links provided within them, I somehow now have credibility and even get asked what I think about a given subject.

This was down to ATS spreading and even catching on to places like FB (which I remember the unneeded uproar then too).

My brother now owns a book by Jim Mars, given to him from my father. I would say that if ATS managed to do this for my family then it can only be good in reaching out to others too.

This site is only as good as its member’s content, (and some damn good staffing and administration). I think that it will be another way to open eyes and spread the denial of ignorance.

Good luck and I think a good opportunity seized.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I'm in favor of this, though I think it needs one tweak...

This should be opt-in, not opt-out.

Opt-Out features feel shady and Facebookish, even if they are just a Button. Even though there is nothing actually shady about using it, it's going to cause discomfort among many people. I'll be opting-in of course, but I really think you'll get a better response if it's opt-in.

link   
When do we get +2 ?

link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Does it disable ads?
"Small" websites like this rely on the occasional ad being clicked...so telling people how to remove ads is sort of a no no overall...like going into a restaurant and telling people how to get free food I guess.

Among the terms and conditions all agreed to here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

20b) Ad Blockers: As the Websites are provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options designed to obfuscate or block online advertising while using the Websites.

Does anyone ever actually read these terms and conditions here?

All of us have agreed to this!

Like it or not.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join