It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Plus-One coming to ATS on a trial basis...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I trust nothing that comes from google.

Better safe than spied on, I say.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Here is the problem I see with +1 deal. Lets say I +1 "fukushima plant" thread. Then I +1 "Egypt Tech" thread. Then "Christian right wing" thread. Then "UFO tech" thread, then "vote fraud" thread, then "time space" thread and last but not least a disappearing "whistle blower" thread that has info that I am now privy to.

Now you say that info like username isp information is not exchanged, that is correct in your perceived protocol however it is really incorrect. You see there is flaw. Just click the "+1" IS the information needed. it IS binary code...I know you don't see it yet but you will in a second here. It's actually pretty brilliant. Watch. So I "+1" all of those threads. Now n MY google page and in my network it will show that I (Real name) like those threads. That's fine, as you say my ATS username isn't linked or divulged...YET IT IS..ready. All you have to do is find the one USERNAME of postings that is common in all of those threads that I clicked the "+1" on. BAM! Real name Johnny Skywalker IS Stella Lotus on ATS. His cell phone is Located at the Ignorant Coffee House!!

Oh.. the more you post and click +1 the easier it is to find the username in common. It reduces the odds of you and someone else posting in the exact same threads.

Simple. Cheers and be careful.
edit on 26-7-2011 by Stella Lotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Thank you, site owners, for informing us of this decision, and opening debate on it as well. I am also glad you are cautious and implemening it on a trial basis.

And thank you most especially for the following:

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
If you're still concerned, and choose not to believe or trust us, ATS Members will have the opportunity to remove the Google +1 widget in their account settings.

That's really all I need to know. It's not that I don't trust you, or believe you -- I do. Your openness on the issue should make that apparrant to everyone. However, I find both Google and "social networking" deeply disturbing on a number of levels, and I want nothing whatsoever to do with them. Your ability to opt out allays my concerns.
Thanks again.

Edit to add: Opt out is fine for me, but given the level of concern I see already in this thread, might not OPT=IN be even better?
edit on 7/26/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
It's a good idea in itself, but all ideas can be used for either good intent or deceptive ones

@purplemur, i do agree. And my thoughts upon reading

this like yours, was that Not only could this be used for Marketing

Purposes as well as using the info to create a standard of what's

popular, swaying what they wish people to see. Correct me if i'm

wrong, but is there not a website created by the Millitary called

WebBot that does this?

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer

It's really a means of sharing content you find online with your friends. T

Really? They've gone to all that trouble just to enable you to "share" something with your friends?
When I want to share something with my FRIENDS - as in real friends, online or offline - I send them the link. It is no hassle, in fact I enjoy it because we debate about it. And they like talking to ME, instead of some virtual proxy/intermediary.

This may be perceived as slightly off-topic, but it really isn't: I suggest everyone who uses Google to read The Filter Bubble: What the Internet is Hiding from You. It is a very good book, not paranoid at all.
Or just read the reviews of the book.

link   

Originally posted by CaticusMaximus
I trust nothing that comes from google.

We've mentioned this before, somewhere in a few threads, in the old podcasts, and on ATS Live... but it's worth saying again.

If not for Google, ATS would not exist.

Way back in early 2004, when I was helping Simon grow ATS beyond his shared hosting account, the deal was that I would fund new servers and initiatives, with the expectation that we'd get some advertising that would pay the bills.

After seven months, no advertising, and my credit card was getting close to maximum -- and Mrs. Overlord close to hitting me with heavy kitchenware. (And there were related hassles with site drama at the time, making the effort even more difficult to justify.)

Simon and I had a conversation that it looked like the party is over, as the site was getting far too expensive to support without some form of income. The next day, we were approved for Google AdSense ads. Seriously, the next day. Within a couple months, it was enough to pay the hosting bills.

Sure, there's lots of content on ATS that should inspire us to be wary... but in the end, we are here because of Google.

link   
Some people just aren't going to be happy no matter what ATS does or doesn't do....it's just the way it goes. The owners of this site would NEVER do anything to breach the privacy of it's members. When SO tells you that he has checked the codes and verified that no data is being sent....you can rest assured that he knows what he's talking about.

And as always...if you don't want to use this feature...turn it off. Simple as that. Nobody is going to force you to participate and give any of your information away. A nice deep breathe is in order here I think.

ATS is becoming a very large entity and it's only natural to keep moving forward and making progress. ATS is focused on user-generated content, and it's because of that focus that the Above Network is the best user-generated anything in the world.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

About my previous question again Skeptic, I hide the google plus using the option. Is the widget still active though, does it still read my cookie?

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
"When SO tells you that he has checked the codes and verified that no data is being sent."
unquote

Its the data thats saved,,,id be worried about,,,

,sent?? lol ,,u hit send u take your chances, as far as im concerned.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzyguy
I hide the google plus using the option. Is the widget still active though, does it still read my cookie?

No, when you hide it, you negate all related code from appearing on the page.

And any cookie being used is that of Google's, not ATS.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzyguy
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

About my previous question again Skeptic, I hide the google plus using the option. Is the widget still active though, does it still read my cookie?

Yes please do tell, i'm still seeing it,there was only the " hide " button,as but does that mean its in-active?

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Cyanhide

Just check your "process" in your windows task mng.

if u dont know what i mean do not try.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
which process to be exact ?

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
One question.

Is ATS selling out by making a deal with the devil?

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
One question.

Is ATS selling out by making a deal with the devil?

They made a deal with Justin Beiber?!?!?!

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cyanhide

That BS, do you guys still read your own forum? How many times has Google came across as being just evil,

Bill gates vaccine ? that the more recent one,or was it the Bill Gates wanting to re-invent the toilet?

Your site says Deny Ignorance,yet the decisions you guys are making scream embraces ignorance.

FUBAR I tell ya.

Do you really believe there's any difference between the corporate heads of Google, M$ etc and the corporate heads here ? I assume there's money to be made from this and ATS INC. isn't going to turn it down, it's a good job I don't really care who knows who I am and what I think...... but I'm sure not going to make it too easy for them by signing up to any stupid "social networking/data mining/alphabet agency connected" websites

Google+1 disabled for me (not that I think that makes any difference to what they can snoop)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
This site has been using Google Analytics which tracks pretty much everything about you and your activities here and a Google powered search bar pretty much since day one and everyone was perfectly happy with the site.

Must maintain structural integrity in your bubble of comfort and believe all is well.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I agree about the OPT-IN, that is the way to go IMO. Also would it be possible to have the same remove the button/widget and a OPT-IN option for FaceBook and Twitter?

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
So, the crack is that we continue to supply input, and now it's received from google as well, so that some people can make money, and the people who do all the work get the "privelege" of belonging to the site?

Sorry, but I can think of easier ways to get mugged that don't rely on me giving my thoughts and time to something that gives nothing back.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Can Skeptic or other mod address this please:

"Here is the problem I see with +1 deal. Lets say I +1 "fukushima plant" thread. Then I +1 "Egypt Tech" thread. Then "Christian right wing" thread. Then "UFO tech" thread, then "vote fraud" thread, then "time space" thread and last but not least a disappearing "whistle blower" thread that has info that I am now privy to.

Now you say that info like username isp information is not exchanged, that is correct in your perceived protocol however it is really incorrect. You see there is flaw. Just clicking the "+1" IS the information needed. it IS binary code (it's the "1" of ones and zeros")...You may not see it yet but you will in a second here. It's actually pretty brilliant. Watch. So I "+1" all of those threads. Now in MY google page and in my network it will show that I (Real name) like those threads. That's fine, as you say my ATS username isn't linked or divulged...YET IT IS..ready. All you have to do is find the one USERNAME that is common in all of those threads that I clicked the "+1" on. BAM! Real name Johnny Skywalker IS Stella Lotus on ATS. His cell phone is Located at the Ignorant Coffee House!!

Oh.. the more you post and click +1 the easier it is to find the username in common. It reduces the odds of you and someone else posting in the exact same threads. "

edit on 26-7-2011 by Stella Lotus because: Grammar, spelling,

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join