It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Plus-One coming to ATS on a trial basis...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
We've had the opportunity to do something totally unexpected, speak directly with representatives at Google about their new social networking effort, Google+, and the integrated social bookmarking service, Google +1. I had several pointed privacy concerns, and received frank and honest answers. As a result, I'm tentatively hopeful about their privacy efforts, and the long-term goals of both efforts. And, we've been assured to be part of a BETA roll-out of an upcoming publisher category in Google+.

Soon, you will be seeing a +1 "widget" just under the other "social" buttons in the upper-right corner of pages within the "forum" sections of ATS. It will look like this:

For those who care not to participate, the "widget" gathers no analytics or other data by appearing on the page.

For those who have a Google account (gmail, Google+, search preferences, etc.), and are logged in, the "widget" is aware of your logged-in status, but gathers no analytics or other data just by appearing on the page.

If you have a Google account and click the +1, it works much like our Flagging system, but on a more global scale in Google searches. For members who are very concerned about specific topics, this provides you a way to help those topics become noticed beyond the AboveTopSecret.com domain.

By default, your +1 "clicks" will show up in your Google+ account, if you have one. If you prefer not to display your +1 clicks, you can opt-out in your account settings.

Google +1 Privacy Information

If you're still concerned, and choose not to believe or trust us, ATS Members will have the opportunity to remove the Google +1 widget in their account settings.

More coming soon...
edit on 26-7-2011 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Are you serious ?

Embrace ignorance.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
For those who have a Google account (gmail, Google+, search preferences, etc.), and are logged in, the "widget" is aware of your logged-in status, but gathers no analytics or other data just by appearing on the page.

Can you clarify here please - If it is aware you are logged in, and the widget is on ATS, then it can be aware where you are, and specifically on which content page you may be viewing... Right? Wrong?

Just curious.

Personally, I use Google, have Chrome and have no issues with them, and will likely use this feature just for the heck of it.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Just the widget or the host site such as ATS would be aware of my google id, too.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

NO, it works like this, if you are logged into your Google account and you click the "+1" button, it will add the "+1" with a link to the content to your Google Plus page. It will also present the content in the "Plus" search returns.

It's a means of getting content you find important out to the greater population that uses Google.

There is no way for it to "know" anything, it doesn't "track" or "gather" anything, obviously once you click the "+1" there will be a link to the content you were interested in and wanted to share with others on your Google Plus home page, which tells the people you've added to your "circles" that you found something you want them to see, but that's it.

It's really a means of sharing content you find online with your friends. The social aspect seems to be centered around that. They do have video "hang outs" you can create, and a few other features, but, what I got from the meeting with the Google folks was the main impetus is to easily direct your friends to content you find interesting/worthy...

Hope that helps.

ETA: @ Jazzyguy, only you and Google will know your Google ID, there is ZERO data coming to ATS from this, that would violate our privacy policy and we don't do that, that's why we don't allow Facebook "Like" widgets here.

Springer...
edit on 7-26-2011 by Springer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Sharing ATS with others, only one click?

Too easy!

Sounds like a great idea, but this is ATS, expect theories and speculations on a grand plot at work here involving the PTB, NWO, Reptilians and of course, the Obama admin.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
If it is aware you are logged in, and the widget is on ATS, then it can be aware where you are, and specifically on which content page you may be viewing.

It can, but does not. I've tested the code, and there is no communication back to Google about the page you're on unless you specifically click the button.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzyguy
ATS would be aware of my google id, too.

No. There is no data communication between Google and ATS of any kind.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Well I think it is a good addition...another way to spread ATS to our friends and getting people to see alternative views.

It's not like Google is gonna kill us..Facebook hasn't...yet

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
This sounds pretty good.

Maybe I'll start to use my google+ account a bit more.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I think it will be a great tool to get important issues out to the world,such as what has been going on in Japan.
I have made progress in that area as far as getting the MSM to pay attention to what is going on there.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
wouldn't something like this potentially lead to a server overload, with more outside traffic coming to this site?

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Exactly how we see it.

S...

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by moonweed
wouldn't something like this potentially lead to a server overload, with more outside traffic coming to this site?

We have an exceptionally robust seven-server infrastructure that currently handles more than 1 million page-views a day without difficulty.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
ATS has sold out yet again. Ah well, if it keeps it free.
edit on 26-7-2011 by Nosred because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
ATS teaming up with Google.

Oh what a great plan.

This has GOT to end well.

Playin with fire my friends.

I for one, will be accessing my account settings to turn it off.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! ATS is now firmly in the hands of the Google world order.

ALS

After actually reading the thread, I think it might be quite a good way of getting certain "controversal" topics further into the puplic domian.

But please Skeptic Do not give Google any control.

edit on 26-7-2011 by ALOSTSOUL because: To read the thread

link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

If you don't mind me asking, who approached who? Did ATS reach out or did google reach out?

link   
It's good to hear that Google plus is unlike facebook like button (no pun intended). Hope it stays that way.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Awesome.... another step towards becoming a fully fledged social networking site.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join