It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apparently, 75% of Americans want to be Dragged Back to the Jim Crow Era

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by bhornbuckle75
Another issue is that even simple photo ID cards cost money...sometimes close to 40 dollars in some states. That's a lot of money for someone living in poverty.

The most expensive state ID is $29 and it is valid for 8 years. The expense is not over bearing and almost all states offer assistance for people that are low income, as well as free voter ID cards.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Well I do have to prove it. I'm an American living in Europe so I have to have a passport (my photo ID). But the point of the thread is that there are Americans who don't have photo ID, and they would have to pay for the ID just to vote. That's just not right.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_

Another issue is that even simple photo ID cards cost money...sometimes close to 40 dollars in some states. That's a lot of money for someone living in poverty.

The most expensive state ID is $29 and it is valid for 8 years. The expense is not over bearing and almost all states offer assistance for people that are low income, as well as free voter ID cards.

Where would you draw the line? How expensive would it have to be in order for you to say that it is too expensive? Something tells me that where you would draw that line has something to do with your personal income.

Paying anything other than attention in order to vote is wrong.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by The Baby Seal Club

When you used to live here, you didn't have to prove it? I am really curious as to how other states worked, I had assumed that all the other states were similar to NY and you needed photo ID already. I had to show my voter card, and another Photo ID to prove I was the person registered to get into the booth when I voted.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Whats wrong with showing an ID to vote?...especialy to prove you live where you are trying to vote,are legal,not a felon etc....no problem here

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
They don't need to rig the elections. They choose the two candidates everyone votes for at the Democratic and Republican National Conventions, we do not. They then pretend like those are the only two candidates running for the Presidency, and have us fight and argue over which of the two of them are better. This makes it seem like We The People are choosing our leader when in all reality they have hand selected both candidates whom are under their spell and will do as they are told.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

Where would you draw the line? How expensive would it have to be in order for you to say that it is too expensive? Something tells me that where you would draw that line has something to do with your personal income.

What is so expensive about FREE? I think your just arguing to argue here. Most states offer FREE VOTER ID cards. What next? You want them to drive to your location to pick up your ballot too? Where do you draw the line when it comes to laziness in exercising "your" rights? Just because you have the right doesn't mean that it doesn't take effort to exercise it. Geesh!

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Homedawg
Whats wrong with showing an ID to vote?...especialy to prove you live where you are trying to vote,are legal,not a felon etc....no problem here

The same thing that's wrong with them tapping your phone lines to, you know, prove you are not a terrorist.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

The same thing that's wrong with them tapping your phone lines to, you know, prove you are not a terrorist.
BS...apples and oranges...I grew up in Jim Crow...never had a single problem....wont with showing an ID to vote...I do it to drive...same thing

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

What is so expensive about FREE? I think your just arguing to argue here. Most states offer FREE VOTER ID cards. What next? You want them to drive to your location to pick up your ballot too? Where do you draw the line when it comes to laziness in exercising "your" rights? Just because you have the right doesn't mean that it doesn't take effort to exercise it. Geesh!

You need a photo ID to obtain one. Those are not free. This is not about voter fraud and it is obvious. If the government wants to prove somebody's identity, it is their burden. Not mine. Or yours.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   

BS...apples and oranges...I grew up in Jim Crow...never had a single problem....wont with showing an ID to vote...I do it to drive...same thing

I'm glad to have such uncompromising compatriots as yourself. A person like you will defend our freedoms all the way into a dictatorship.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

What do you propose then? That at the polls they should just take everyone at their word as to who they are, that they are legal, and eligible to vote in the election?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

My point is simple. You can't force people to pay so they can exercise their rights. If you want a law involving a voter photo ID card (of which I'm not a big fan), then it needs to be free. Any American can get one and not pay any cost for it.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   

There is no such thing as free.... Do some states really just let anyone vote, without proving they are eligible to vote?

In my 29 years, I have never ever found anything free. Free is just a codeword for paid for by someone else.
edit on Fri, 10 Jun 2011 19:35:24 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by daddyroo45

Originally posted by Antiquated1

Originally posted by mishigas
I cannot think of a reason why someone would oppose Voter ID, except if they planned on using voter fraud to rig an election.

Because they do not have an ID but still want to exercise their rights as an American citizen?

Could you give a good reason why someone that is a citizen of this country,would not have some form of identification ? I mean if they will take the time to vote,why not take the time to get a proper id.

They live in NYC and don't drive or drink alcohol?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Voting isnt an endowed right...you must qualify...age,residence,record etc.....all this about paying 9 bucks for an ID to vote is just a smokescreen....proving you are legally entitled to vote at a certain place at a certain time isnt wrong or an infringement of rights...its just good sense....

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

So let me ask you. You think it's OK to charge people money to vote? Somebody earlier in the thread posted a source that said millions of Americans don't have govt.-issued photo ID. So you think it should be ok to deny these people their right to vote because they don't have a driver's license?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Or have a bank account, or cash checks.... There are so many things in NY you need to have a photo ID for....

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

You think it is OK to let anyone that walks into the polls vote? They just state their name, and give some address, and that is that?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
So if they made the Voter ID Act dependent on issuing a free ID card,then it would be ok to ask for proof of person to vote?...No charge,line up here....
edit on 6/10/2011 by Homedawg because: sp

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join