It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apparently, 75% of Americans want to be Dragged Back to the Jim Crow Era

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

I had a friend that lost their wallet and ID, had moved out of state , got sick, lost job, became homeless, didn't qualify for any benefits (went with them and was shocked .. nope they were not eligible) . Trying to get ID for them was a total nightmare. It took about 1 year.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
reply to post by Advantage

Absolutely.. I agree.. however, from my post above, exactly how does someone not have an ID these days?

It's easy for the elderly not to have one. My grandmother doesn't have one as she doesn't drive and she has a hard time getting around. This does nothing but discourage her from voting.

The only reason 75 percent are advocating these measures is because everyone thinks they are smarter than everyone else. No one wants anyone else to vote that strongly differs from their own stances.

It's no different than those, including myself, who think everyone is a worse driver than themselves. Everyone is this way. Would I love for some people to not be driving on the roads I drive on? Absolutely.

Do most drivers feel the same way about me? Most likely.

Our votes already have lost much of their sway due to corporate lobbying...why do people advocate weakening the people's power even more?

IMO she should have a BC or SS and that should be sufficient... this whole photo thing is pretty ridiculous. A photo certainly wont take care of voter fraud
However, Im 48 yrs old and I have had photo ID since I was 16 to work. I just find it very hard to believe that so many dont have it and perhaps the numbers are inflated.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage
Let me say it real slow..

Thank you for being rude for no reason. I guess I got a little lost because the argument is for or against photo IDs. I suppose I was further confused by your lumping the following together.

Is it a matter that every other "race" does not? My husband is white and has a BC, SS card, and an ID forever.

I am unclear what "ID" you chose to separate from a BC or SS card and like I said, the proposal is for photo ID. I was a little confused so I asked. I actually thought I was kind of polite when I did it. I am more than sorry for asking you that as your being rude in response makes it clear that I erred. Please forgive me.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I note from reading ATS that an awful lot of US citizens absolutely hate the other races they share your wide open underpopulated country with, what happened to the melting pot rainbow nation, seems to be way too much hate.

I don't like the way your country is going, it's almost as if some of you want a totalitarian police state because you think it will only affect other races negatively.

Quite a sad state of affairs to the outside observer.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Maybe it isn't the norm everywhere, but even to get into a school back where I lived in NY you had to show photo ID, to prove you were a student that was supposed to be there, or to keep a clear record of visitors. The library card I had was even a photo ID...

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Kitilani

I also find it very difficult to believe that legal americans for the most part don't have a picture id at least. Not that I am in support of one but looking at the reality of life in America. It is almost impossible to function in this country without one. You need it for driving, for using mass transit. To have a bank account, credit cards, write a check. You need one to turn on utilities such as electric, water, cable tv or satillite tv, telephones. You need one for medical treatment, for renting a home or buying a home. The list is endless. The number of people who do not use any of these types of services are either hiding in the shadows and using other peoples ID to exist or are underage. There may be a very limited few. That is the point I am getting at VERY FEW.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by redrose123

I also find it very difficult to believe that legal americans for the most part don't have a picture id at least.

"For the most part" is kind of the crux of the issue. I do not think anyone is arguing that most people do not have a photo ID but that rights apply to everyone, not just most people.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I usually stay away from politics but I really dislike this title...or that particular quote being the main focus of the article. No disrespect to the OP but I really have to wonder about a journalist that would post such a silly title. I get it...but its a little much to me. Before I opened the thread I really thought this was about Ran Paul's stance on segregation.
Meh.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by redrose123

I also find it very difficult to believe that legal americans for the most part don't have a picture id at least. Not that I am in support of one but looking at the reality of life in America. It is almost impossible to function in this country without one. You need it for driving, for using mass transit. To have a bank account, credit cards, write a check. You need one to turn on utilities such as electric, water, cable tv or satillite tv, telephones. You need one for medical treatment, for renting a home or buying a home. The list is endless. The number of people who do not use any of these types of services are either hiding in the shadows and using other peoples ID to exist or are underage. There may be a very limited few. That is the point I am getting at VERY FEW.

You're right, most people do have photo ID already. But those FEW that don't have the same right to vote as you and me. End of story.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by The Baby Seal Club

I absolutely do not enjoy the system that we live in. At thye same time why should millions of illegals be allowed to throw us a rigged election worse of one than we already have. That is the only reason so many people would be up in arms about something that affects practically nobody.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by mike_trivisonno
reply to post by Antiquated1

An individual's presence at the polling place does not imply of confer citizenship.

And just to be just, citizens accepting federal or state assistance should not be eligible to participate in the election process. Only employed, tax-paying citizens over the age of 25 should be able to vote.

Too many children electing too many cartoon clowns is one of our problems.

Voting is a holy obligation not theater for the blind.

How is it just that because I am now disabled after 35 yrs of work i should lose my right to vote? How does my accepting assistance I have paid for for over 3 decades translate into loosing my rights as an american citizen?
Voting is a right of citizenry in this country and should never be economically encumbered by fee or condition.
All I can say is we are going to get the Fascism we deserve at this rate.
seed

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
How is asking you to prove that you are who you say you are a racist policy? It completely boggles my mind. I mean, I can't write a check for a pack of gum without somebody having to see my I.D., but you can, and should be able to continue to, vote without one?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Antiquated1

$14. Enough said. That's the cost of an effing ID in the highest price state of New York. They're $4 in Arizona.

That is NOT AN EXCUSE not to have an photo ID.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
You should by all means have to present an ID. Why? Um... to identify one's self.. No it isn't given at birth like someone suggested...haha, imagine if it was; but what the hell, it isn't hard at all to get one.
Especially when dead people are voting, I don't see why it should be a problem.
edit on 10-6-2011 by Hiasyouwant because: splng

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_

Originally posted by Antiquated1

Originally posted by daddyroo45
Could you give a good reason why someone that is a citizen of this country,would not have some form of identification ? I mean if they will take the time to vote,why not take the time to get a proper id.

Can you explain to me why someone that is a citizen of this country would have a photo ID? This is about photo ID. Not a SS card or birth certificate. PHOTO ID. Why would a citizen have a photo ID?

A recent national survey sponsored by the Brennan Center for Justice at NYU School of Law reveals that millions of American citizens do not have readily available documentary proof of citizenship. Many more – primarily women – do not have proof of citizenship with their current name. The survey also showed that millions of American citizens do not have government-issued photo identification, such as a driver’s license or passport. Finally, the survey demonstrated that certain groups – primarily poor, elderly, and minority citizens – are less likely to possess these forms of documentation than the general population.

As many as 11 percent of United States citizens – more than 21 million individuals – do not have government-issued photo identification.

Elderly citizens are less likely to possess government-issued photo identification.

Minority citizens are less likely to possess government-issued photo identification.

Citizens with comparatively low incomes are less likely to possess photo identification.

Read more
edit on 10-6-2011 by Antiquated1 because: (no reason given)

Problem easily solved with very little effort on the part of the voter. Get ID! Go to your local municipality and get a copy of your birth certificate, or just simply go down and apply for a state ID. There problem solved and now you can vote like the rest of us.

Geesh how lazy can people be, I mean really.
And please don't come back with the argument that some people have no record of their birth. There are ways to get ID, and if they want to vote or need ID that badly they would do it. In most states now you are required to carry identification with you anyhow, so they would be doing themselves a favor.

I think the issue here is that voter fraud by pretending to be someone else is almost unheard of these days, and has been proven time and time again in many studies. So there is simply no reason to make this law, as it won't help voter fraud in the first place...It's far more likely now days for voter fraud to be carried out through computer hacking than someone pretending to be someone else.

Another issue is that even simple photo ID cards cost money...sometimes close to 40 dollars in some states. That's a lot of money for someone living in poverty.

Here are some facts if you would care to read them

www.demos.org...

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I have a serious question here... In NY we had a voter ID card, I got mine along with my license. Does your state have voter ID cards? If so, how else can you get one, besides when getting a license? Do you have to prove who you are with some form of ID to get one?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by mustard seed

I agree with you whole heartedly. What does any of that have to do with anything. Some of the comments make one wonder where do these off the wall comments come from. Anyone 18 or over that is a legal citizen should be allowed to vote. I don't agree with the picture ID thing but that unfortunately is the facts of life. So I tend to favor the fact that you need to be able to show you are a legal citizen. Since we are being forced to have and use one for Security reasons (thats a joke) Is there any thing more important to secure than a fair and legal election. Apparently not according to some. Where is all the uproar when its needed for everything else.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by redrose123

It's not about allowing illegals the chance to vote. It's about forcing me to pay to exercise my voting rights.
Heck, while we're at it; why not just say I have to pay $100 to enjoy the benefits of the constitution?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by The Baby Seal Club

As it is now you don't have to prove who you are, and that you are eligible to vote in the election where you are living?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by redrose123

How does not showing a photo ID to vote allow illegals to register?
I guess I do not understand the case for voter fraud being made here, especially with no evidence of it ever happening.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join