It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apparently, 75% of Americans want to be Dragged Back to the Jim Crow Era

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

If you read the post.. I listed the ID and never said I was born with photo ID.. I was born WITH ID. The argument is that one needs photo ID which is ludicrous. We all have id already.. or so I thought. Thats why I asked the question.

Let me say it real slow.. why do we need a photo ID to vote if we already have ID? What is so special about having a photo if the voter reg cards or simply showing your BC or SS at the polling place would be sufficient? In 2011 I can not imagine a person not having a photo ID either. How does anyone get by without it?

There is a thriving underground industry that issues bogus SS cards for a price. Often these #'s are stolen from babies, the elderly, and dead people.

Requiring a state-issued Voter ID would require that you show verifiable proof of citizenship.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
I thought 'hmmm' and wiki'd Jim Crow Laws

The Jim Crow laws were state and local laws in the United States enacted between 1876 and 1965. They mandated de jure racial segregation in all public facilities, with a supposedly "separate but equal" status for black Americans. In reality, this led to treatment and accommodations that were usually inferior to those provided for white Americans, systematizing a number of economic, educational and social disadvantages.

It goes on to explain;

Generally, the remaining Jim Crow laws were overruled by the Civil Rights Act of 1964[1] and the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

Hmmm, Voting Rights Act of 1965.

The 13th Amendment, ratified in 1865 after the Civil War, abolished and prohibited slavery and secured a minimal degree of citizenship to former slaves. The 14th Amendment, ratified in 1868, granted citizenship to all people “born or naturalized in the United States,” and included the due process and equal protection clauses. This amendment did not explicitly prohibit vote discrimination on racial grounds.

Then we have the Fifteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution

Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude

Hmm..."Servitude"? That's pretty vague, it doesn't specify involuntary or voluntary,

Let us check the legal dictionaries. Servitude

The state of a person who is subjected, voluntarily or involuntarily, to another person as a servant. A charge or burden resting upon one estate for the benefit or advantage of another.

What is a "charge" dear legal dictionary?

To impose a burden, duty, obligation, or lien; to create a claim against property; to assess; to demand; to accuse; to instruct a jury on matters of law. To impose a tax, duty, or trust. To entrust with responsibilities and duties (e.g., care of another). In commercial transactions, to bill or invoice; to purchase on credit. In Criminal Law, to indict or formally accuse.

Looks like the 15th Amendment trumps the call for "State ID cards" to be requirements for voting. There is already a working voter registration process in use. Essentially the State "Corporation" "charges" you for the 'privilege of commerce' through the use of these "State IDs" which cost money (TAX).

Do you think " Poll Taxes " are a good or bad thing?

Look it's right here. Twenty-fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution

Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax.

Hey don't be mad at me, it's just the Law.

You cannot suppress people by requiring a 'poll tax'. Read them and weep.

I want to make sure people read your post. The people who think this is about race or fraud have all been completely fooled. It is making a barrier for voting, plain and simple. People accuse me of "slippery slope" argument but... that's how we find ourselves in the totalitarian messes we are in.

This is a great compilation, thank you.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

Can tell many of you aren't living real life. Just met a guy from Ct who says there I'd cost like $60! Here in Fl they are like $50. When you're poor you don't have that money for voting. I know people who don't apply for welfare because they don't have I'd.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Absolutely.. I agree.. however, from my post above, exactly how does someone not have an ID these days?

It's easy for the elderly not to have one. My grandmother doesn't have one as she doesn't drive and she has a hard time getting around. This does nothing but discourage her from voting.

Well get off your damn lazy butt and help granny to get a picture ID. What's wrong with you anyway?

The only reason 75 percent are advocating these measures is because everyone thinks they are smarter than everyone else. No one wants anyone else to vote that strongly differs from their own stances.

What a crock. Stop talking trash.

Our votes already have lost much of their sway due to corporate lobbying...why do people advocate weakening the people's power even more?

We are advocating strengthening the people's vote by ensuring that it is not nullified by the fraudulent system that you desperately want to continue.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Thanks for the support friend.

I kind of feel like I am just preaching to the choir sometimes though you know? Only those interested in knowing the Constitution would care in the first place right?

Most of these people don't actually want to know anything, they are more interested in just 'having opinions'.

Oh well. If posting the blatant truth of history in their faces wakes one person up, than I'll consider it worth the effort.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I am usually in agreement with you, here I am not so sure. In NY we had to show photo ID to prove we were the same as the name on the voter registration. Why is that wrong? What do you propose as a solution? People just be taken at their word that they are able to vote, and live in the state? I have asked many people the same thing in the thread, and no one can give me an answer so far....

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by The Baby Seal Club

It's not about allowing illegals the chance to vote. It's about forcing me to pay to exercise my voting rights.
Heck, while we're at it; why not just say I have to pay $100 to enjoy the benefits of the constitution?

Your argument is baseless, as shown by the many states that offer *FREE* Voter ID cards. Take away the cost argument and the backup arguments are really silly grasping at straws.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

It's added security. But I fail to see how it's Jim Crow. What because it costs money? To tell the truth, the poorest are the most manipulable in elections. Then again, it could do the opposite effect. ID's for votes.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
If this is truly a concern, send everyone a photo-ID voting card with their voter registration.

eta; otherwise it's an obstacle to voting.

edit on 10-6-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas
reply to post by The Baby Seal Club

It's not about allowing illegals the chance to vote. It's about forcing me to pay to exercise my voting rights.
Heck, while we're at it; why not just say I have to pay $100 to enjoy the benefits of the constitution?

Your argument is baseless, as shown by the many states that offer *FREE* Voter ID cards. Take away the cost argument and the backup arguments are really silly grasping at straws.

Free Voter ID cards is a middle ground solution that meets everyone half-way I think.

On one hand we get to have better security to prevent fraud.

On the other hand, no poor or disadvantaged folks are discriminated on the basis of not paying a tax for a commerce licence.

Just please don't put RFID chips in them.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Actually, anybody who wants to uphold the Constitutional right to vote would be against paying for it. If they truly wanted prove somebody's citizenship, then provide a free way of doing so.

I was able to legally change my name, register to vote, and get a driver's license all without photo ID. If it is good enough for all of those institutions, it is good enough to vote.

So you know how we know this is just an attempt to prevent access to the poor and elderly? Because it is so obviously an attempt to prevent access to the poor and elderly!

Why do you continue to try to sell this falsehood? Many states offer *FREE* Voter ID cards, I expect that ultimately every state will do so. So why do you keep fighting it? The answer is easy...you and your party cannot win an election without resorting to fraud.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/38c2e2cafb5f.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Seems the poor could have used the money they were paid for their vote last time to get proper id. Ah well, those who grasp at straws to allow the current system to plod along deserve what they have been getting. I really HOPE they make a CHANGE to one (living, legal) person, one vote...but never gonna happen between the dems and the MSM.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by muzzleflash

I am usually in agreement with you, here I am not so sure. In NY we had to show photo ID to prove we were the same as the name on the voter registration.

Can you back that claim up with something? I showed a photo ID when I registered to vote and never have had to since.

ID Needed for Voting
If you are a new voter who is registering by mail, you will be required to show identification when you go to vote for the first time.… Click to learn more

If you are a new voter who is registering by mail, you will be required to show identification when you go to vote for the first time. If you are already registered at the board of elections or a state agency, you should not have to show identification at the polls. It is advisable for all new voters to bring identification when voting for the first time. Acceptable IDs to to vote are:

•Passport
•Government ID card
•Military ID card
•Student ID card
•Public housing ID card
•Any ID specified by HAVA and New York State law as acceptable
•Utility bill
•Bank statement
•Paycheck
•Government check (Social Security, tax refund, military paycheck or paycheck stub)
•Other government documents with your name and address including but not limited to: voter registration card, hunting, fishing, or trapping license or firearm permit.

vote411.org[

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Why are Americans so against showing their ID?

When you get stopped by police in any other nation on the planet, you show ID.

When you go to vote in any other nation on the planet, you show ID.

No ID = Big Trouble.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
From reading posts by many in this thread, in other threads, I can only take away one thing.

Forcing everyone to buy a photo ID, although unconstitutional, is a pretty good idea. It just makes sense.
Forcing everyong to buy health insurance is just wrong for being unconstitutional.
My only question I guess is how many "K"s do you use to spell out USA again?
edit on 10-6-2011 by Antiquated1 because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by Antiquated1

Proof like what? That is how it was in my town. You show your voter card, then the people running it asked for photo ID. I gave them my voter card, and matching license, they wrote my name down to make sure I didn't vote more than once. Is that really so hard to believe? Is it really so different elsewhere?

link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
Even my embarrassing welfare sucking drug addict aunt has a photo ID....
It's not all that hard to get one.

But people should NOT have to have one.

Whats with your really young girl pic? And is your attack on your Aunt really an admission of your position?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas
reply to post by Cuervo

Actually, anybody who wants to uphold the Constitutional right to vote would be against paying for it. If they truly wanted prove somebody's citizenship, then provide a free way of doing so.

I was able to legally change my name, register to vote, and get a driver's license all without photo ID. If it is good enough for all of those institutions, it is good enough to vote.

So you know how we know this is just an attempt to prevent access to the poor and elderly? Because it is so obviously an attempt to prevent access to the poor and elderly!

Why do you continue to try to sell this falsehood? Many states offer *FREE* Voter ID cards, I expect that ultimately every state will do so. So why do you keep fighting it? The answer is easy...you and your party cannot win an election without resorting to fraud.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/38c2e2cafb5f.gif[/atsimg]

My party?! I see you pull the Jack-ass card as much as you accuse me of pulling the race card. I'm voting republican this election... so how does that help me?

When I first heard this law being brought out as a prevention for voter fraud, I thought "There's nooooo way people are going to be stupid enough to believe that citizens are the ones responsible for voter fraud. No... freakin' way".

Then, of course, tons of people come trundling in from their Rush Limbaugh pods and actually believed it!

People are willing to compromise the constitution in order to what... stop Granny from voting?!

You guys are illustrating exactly how the two-party system gets two groups to fight over "A" so they can go and perform "B, C, and D" behind our backs. You ignore something huge just to appease to a paranoid crowd.

People on this site, of all places, should know better.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by testtubebaby

Should not have to have an ID, yeah in an ideal world. We do not live in such a world, I wish we did.

My avatar is not a real person, it is a 3d CGI picture I made, she has no age.

No I am not a drug addict, nor have I ever been on welfare, let alone like my aunt who has been on it her whole life.

Anymore questions?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by testtubebaby

today is a bad day for doubleposts....
edit on Fri, 10 Jun 2011 22:48:34 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join