It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Gas Prices...maybe rest of the world!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Dude420

I guess people are just a little too cozy with their Justin Beiber, reality TV,and wholesome McDonalds food to care about what is coming down the pipeline.What is it going to take for people to start fighting back? Look at the middle east and the protests there, they are being shot for their ways of protest, my idea is easy and can be done from the comfy locale of your own house, pretty simple I think, or is it going to go down to the wire where we are in the streets getting shot as well?

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Well there is just yourself then. What about the people with a family? Not everyone is single and have no life.You may have all the money you need right now,but when the cost of your bicycle goes up because it takes oil products to make your bicycle what you going to do then? You still prepared to spend 5000 dollars for a two wheeler?

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by rogerramjett

First of all I have a very good life that involves physical activity.
I can and have walked 20 kms with a 60 lb pack on my back.
What do you do other then throw yer fat ass in a car and drive to the corner store??

Also...I am not rich...I just do alright and don't have the problems you have.
As I have said already...I am not hooked on 4 wheelers and gas.
edit on 25-3-2011 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

edit on 25-3-2011 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
I am not hooked on 4 wheelers and gas.

You realise, though, that is a luxury in the Great White North unless you happen to live in the City...which it sounds like you do. We live in a small town and have two vehicles...one minivan for schlepping people and stuff, and a small 4 wheel drive truck. We both have an expanse we need to cover, between work and simply staying connected with friends and family. Do I drive a Hummer? No...but I need the four-by to negotiate country roads in the winter. Sure, it's all optional, but the option is to live like the neighboring Mennonites.

I don't consider myself to be a gas hog, but on the other hand, what's a commute in this country is equivalent to a visit to another one entirely if you live in Europe. Call it the economics of scale.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

I do understand and realiize what you are saying.
I am just looking for an alternative to gas.
I do live in the city and still am bothered by the whole gas issue when I know damn well we could be doing better then this.
I will point towards the electric car.
Again I will say...I hope it becomes so unaffordable that we get the alternative that we want thats cheaper and easier on society.
Thanks Johnny...nice to see you.I appreciate your reply.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

I do understand and realiize what you are saying.
I am just looking for an alternative to gas.
I do live in the city and still am bothered by the whole gas issue when I know damn well we could be doing better then this.
I will point towards the electric car.
Again I will say...I hope it becomes so unaffordable that we get the alternative that we want thats cheaper and easier on society.
Thanks Johnny...nice to see you.I appreciate your reply.

Good to see you, and I appreciate where you are coming from. Ultimately, we'll have to embrace a new technology entirely, but I don't expect it will be revealed until the last dollar has been wrung from the last drop of oil.

One other difficulty, though...how do we power the electric car? It wasn't that long ago that we had the rolling brownouts in Ontario. I am in support of nuclear as our best bet, though I don't quite understand why we don't get more juice from hydroelectric. But burning coal or even natural gas to generate power (for electric cars) only hands the generating problem to another community, fouling its water and air. Solar and wind are still inefficient. Heck, in my neighbourhood we have a lot of folks losing their minds over the prospect of wind turbines nearby.

And yet, when they flick that switch, they want their lights to turn on.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

sorry to jump straight in here but $1.50 per litre man thats cheep we are paying $2.20 a litre here in new zealand and it cost an arm and a leg to drive anywhere theses days >

anyway i got this email too on facebook seems like a good idea im all for it it's just riduclious how much we pay espech with everything else like dairy and veges prices just keep rising too.. middle and low income earners are strugling enough we need to band together to stop this i just don't know if it will work since the unrest in lybia prices are just going up every few days

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

I can respect your choice to not own a car, however, it won't change the problems plaguing our planet. You see the people that are warmongering are power hungry and greedy which means they would be just as possessive and murderous controlling clean alternative fuels as well. That is why they make a point to buy out then shelve or (Creator forbids) kill inventors for their patents on alternative means of supplying energy. It's not solely about coveting the world's oil or gas (or any energy option), nope it's about being greedy and controlling the masses.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Good to see you, and I appreciate where you are coming from. Ultimately, we'll have to embrace a new technology entirely, but I don't expect it will be revealed until the last dollar has been wrung from the last drop of oil.

That is exactly what the point I was trying to make in my first post in this thread.
We both know there has to be a better way and until either the oil is gone or until we as a society demand better,it will stay the same.
I know I must have sounded harsh by saying let it become unaffordable but I really do want people to demand better and that is the way I see it happening is by people getting sick of not having the security of knowing how they will get to work etc.
Pipe dream???
Probably,but I can still dream.
I am unsure how to answer the rest of your post but great points regardless.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by karmajayne

sorry to jump straight in here but $1.50 per litre man thats cheep we are paying $2.20 a litre here in new zealand and it cost an arm and a leg to drive anywhere theses days >

anyway i got this email too on facebook seems like a good idea im all for it it's just riduclious how much we pay espech with everything else like dairy and veges prices just keep rising too.. middle and low income earners are strugling enough we need to band together to stop this i just don't know if it will work since the unrest in lybia prices are just going up every few days

Again...look at the scale. We measure distances in hours, not klicks. I have been making regular runs to Ottawa for family matters...4 hour drive each way. It's a hike, but not that big a deal. An hour's drive to work is not unusual.

It's a big freakin' country!

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
The problem is compounded by inertia.

Since mankind began using fossil fuel, the growth of the population has risen exponentially. The availability of power to move goods, and support industrialization engendered an era which few could have imagined....

Around the 19th century the population began to snowball in magnitude, and today we have entire nations that exist only because the energy was available to make it possible.

If all the oil were to disappear tomorrow, we would lose billions of people within decades because they cannot survive without the ability to move goods to their locations. Cities could absorb neither the influx of desperate people, nor afford to move enough food and materials to its location to support their own populations. It would be horrible.

Millions living in otherwise inhospitable places would die, especially lacking the fuel necessary to move away to better locations (which would be battlegrounds for survival as entire swaths of society descended upon them seeking the opportunity, at least, to survive.)

Well over 1/2 of the world's population would die out without the energy that fossils fuels provide. This stands to reason because the same population numbers wouldn't even exist now, had it not been for the availability of the energy to support them.

These billions of people, who take for granted that food is available, that light and heat are accessible, and that they can 'go' wherever they please, will discover that it was only fossil fuel-derived energy that made their freedom to 'pursue happiness' possible.

The oil problem is about people and what they want. Billions will assume that their individual paltry use of energy can't be the problem, which would be true if there weren't billions of them.

As we speak, grass roots inventors and theorists are trying desperately to find a magic bullet, free energy, super efficient sustenance farming, lifestyle changes, and even community-based consumption, to offset the reality that the governance paradigm shifted from public welfare to mercantile welfare; and thus commercial exploitation went into overdrive, as many now know.

Gas is a byproduct of oil, and it's true cost has traditionally been wildly out of sync with its price. Since the cartels which coordinate the consumers burden are driven by profit growth, consumption - even reckless consumption - is very welcome to them. It is contrary to reason; but then, wanton profit usually is.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
The sad thing is that we need not even buy gas. We have cars that run on plain old water. Why are there not more filling stations for them? When you make $10.50 per hour and have to spend 2 hrs wage per day to travel to and from work, it does hurt. If there were a hydrogen filling station in my town, I'd have a different car.
Although gas prices are high now, just think of what the additional shipping cost will be on products and food. Something has to give...

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Invariance
The sad thing is that we need not even buy gas. We have cars that run on plain old water.

Best show me one that's commercially viable. I mean really...do you see me citing Lewis Black:
"It's 2003! Why can't I teleport!?"

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by XRaDiiX

Wake up to reality! You know how many people rely on gas to get to work and get supplies to live everyday

Did you really think we can just walk to work everyday!
edit on 25-3-2011 by XRaDiiX because: (no reason given)

WOW, people really need to ACTUALLY read the FULL post... he's not asking us to stop buying gas
just stop buying from esso and petro canada... im down for the plan and will pass the message to 20! people i know... However, i don't think this plan will work because people (like the kind who are lazy and don't read full posts) will just ignore the message...

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Chai_An

You are right and they have been manipulating patents and other people's inventions for over 100 years.
In 1900 electric vehicles dominated the industry.
4200 autos were sold with 38% being electric,22% by gas and40% were steam.
By 1924 not a single electric vehicle was was exhibited at the National Automobile show.
Henry Ford (who funded the nazis) had control of his industry.
Also...remember a man named Tesla?

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Binky21

Originally posted by XRaDiiX

Wake up to reality! You know how many people rely on gas to get to work and get supplies to live everyday

Did you really think we can just walk to work everyday!
edit on 25-3-2011 by XRaDiiX because: (no reason given)

WOW, people really need to ACTUALLY read the FULL post... he's not asking us to stop buying gas
just stop buying from esso and petro canada... im down for the plan and will pass the message to 20! people i know... However, i don't think this plan will work because people (like the kind who are lazy and don't read full posts) will just ignore the message...

Before you annoy your friends...do read the thread and check the comment on Snopes. The only person you're going to hurt is the Station owner. Big deal.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

We all rely on oil for virtually everything that we do every day, every minute. Reducing the cost of it will reduce the cost of everything, virtually every single thing that you do every single day. Everything. Finding a way to reduce the cost, whether it be from a gasoline strike or doing something smart like driving smarter. Hypermileage. Look it up.

So you get on the internet using, what ESP? Got any idea how much of what is in front of you right now is dependent on oil? Here's how you lose your dependency on oil. It's simple. Take your clothes off (they got transported somehow) and walk outside. Stand there.

Saying that you won't be hooked on oil is utterly insane. The real pure put in a hospital, disconnected from planet earth seeing Bigfoot insane. That computer you're tapping on is made from oil. As is the sheathing on the wires that connect you to the internet. The chap that rolls up to service it relies on oil.

Let's take it a little further before you take your clothes off and step outside. So you aren't hooked into the grid - that crap there takes oil and lots of it to transport the coal or burn the natural gas or even keep the nukes running. Great. Got a wind turbine? Got any idea at all how much oil it takes to make it? Or those deep cycle batteries. Yes, the case relies on oil. Solar panels. Hmph. Oil. Wearing shoes? Oil. Drinking bottled water? Plastic. Oil. Got drywall on the walls? Oil. Carpeting? Oil. Finished wood floor? Oil. Got clothes on? Oil (don't give me that crap, you didn't grow the cotton and weave the fabric, did you?). Get a hair cut lately? Oil. Do you eat? Grow your own food? Fertilize? Oil. Catch fish to fertilize? Fishing line. Oil. Take it further. Live on a street? Oil. Use a phone? Oil. Use money? Oil. Read books? Oil. Toilet paper? Yeah, oil. Take an aspirin? Oil. The pills I take to keep my heart beating. Oil. Contact lenses. Oil. We are surrounded by oil related technologies from computers down to the tiniest pill. Without it we might as well figure out how to skin Rabbits (not that there's anything wrong with that).

And every time the cost of oil goes up so does everything else. Reduce the cost of oil and reduce the very cost of staying alive. Reduce the cost of oil and reduce the cost of producing food and transporting it. Reduce the cost of food and feed more people. Reduce the cost of oil or continue to kill people. Everyone that contributes to the higher cost of oil is doing the exact same thing. Reduce the cost of oil, save lives.

Face it without oil you aren't even in the 17th century. They used Whale oil. Try the 15th century.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
people can talk nits all day
the question indirectly posed by the OP is how to get the message back up the ladder to the people at the top.
his method might work because the franchisers have some input

I say lead by example
I live in the islands or on the shore
near towns
like drums are fun my life doesn't waste gas
I eat a lot of wild craft
I have vehicles but I don't need a car nor the vehicles
manual works fine for me.

so I won't be too affected

those that moralize?
well how you deal with it is your problem

hey maybe the price will come down