It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Casey - The kid who had enough of being bullied!

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I'll preface this by saying that I'm really more of a pacifist. But I was bullied at a young age much the same way. After one time too many, I responded similarly to Casey. I was never bothered again ...And the guy that provoked me ended up fading into obscurity.

Life is all about lessons, and ESPECIALLY when you're growing up. As much as I quickly learned that you can't go through life not sticking up for yourself, I'd like to think the bully learned not to write a check his butt can't cash. Both very valuable teachings.

Casey didn't do anything wrong. If you notice, the little bully's back-up (who is nearly Casey's size) ends up stepping to him after he'd thrown his tormenter down. Casey wasn't in a one on one situation here. Those kids in West Sydney form little gangs and exhibit pack behavior. He was in full self-defense mode.

Ironically, I think his suspension may have been a good thing in terms of his safety for a few days while things blow over. A part of me thinks it may have been more of a "wink, wink" thing. One thing I know for sure, though, is that if I were this kid's father, I'd be extremely proud of him. The earlier your children learn to stick up for themselves, the better. On a very simplistic level, the high school playground is a great metaphor for what the real world is like when they get there some day.

I salute you, Casey Heynes!

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darce
I don't see how a child's behaviour can be compared to wild animals in a favourable manor. At what point was Casey in danger of being harmed? This kid's standard of behaviour has to be held above that of the animal kingdom. Thrusting somebody headfirst onto the pavement is an attempt to cause grievous body harm. And for what? A poke on the nose. No excuse to retaliate in that manner.

Not to long ago when people acted like idots there was actual consequences, he probably did that kid a favor and taught him a lesson very few young people learn.
You can spend your whole life being a victim if you want, being stepped on and having all your dreams taken because you were never willing to stand up for anything.
And you ask if he was in danger of being harmed? Really, a group of bullies confront him and star throwing punches and you ask if he is in danger of being harmed? If that kid would have just walked away they would have followed and continued.
The kids standard of behaviour was actually very well according to the story. He put up with those kids for years. He walked away many times, this was not an isolated incident. The educators and the parents are the ones who have standard of behaviour problems, if they were involved like they should have been and held their kids accountable for their actions this probably would'nt have happened.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I was always taught that "violence is never the answer" from my father. Even when it came down to getting harassed everyday of school from 2nd grade right through the 8th grade. I got beat on all the time, but never threw a punch for fear of disapproval from my father. I've never forgiven him for that.

I remember the day that I snapped on a kid. He threw a couple of punches at me in the gym locker room after gym class. There was a whole group of kids around me cheering him on. He finally landed one right between my eyes, destroying the glasses that I had just picked up that day. At that very moment, I decided to end it. I didn't give a damn what my father said after that. I picked the kid up, slammed him on the lockers and kept banging his head against them until he started bleeding and sobbing. Some of the other boys went to run to the gym teacher, who by that point was already responding to the kid crying. One of my friends happened to be there, but being half the size of the guy who was bullying me, the best he could do was try and push through the group of people to find the teacher. Well, at the end of that conflict the kid ended up with a laceration on the back of his head, and a bad headache for a few days after that. The gym teacher never reported me and chalked it up to an "accident." The kid never told his parents about the incident for fear of embarrassment. I NEVER had a problem after that, and I'm actually friends with that kid today. We laugh about the incident and he regularly laughs at himself for being such an idiot for taking on a kid bigger than him.

As a teacher who sees this crap happen all the time, I'm one of the few that will get involved, because bullying does not belong in schools. Unfortunately, most of the time it's the dumb arse parents that don't watch their kids and teach them right from wrong that leads to this bullying behavior. If we went back to the "old days" just 20 years ago, bullies would get their just rewards. I applaud this young man's actions for stopping a situation that would have escalated well into his high school years, and maybe even beyond.

As one "big kid" to another, enjoy your three days off. Play some extra X-Box for me and all the other kids that will be inspired to strike back against bullies.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
First of that, that small punk should be expelled..If his parents complained, punish the parents as well for being ignorant. they are lucky casey didnt break his head open for bullying him. Things like this anger me. My younger brother has had problems being bullied, hes a short kid but he's kinda thick, my parents always told him to walk away, but i on the other hand, taught him to defend himself. just today my mum called me, told me he was suspended for a day, some kid in his gym class kicked a ball to his face, laughed and pursued his punk friends to follow him. my brother was hit with 3 balls by 3 different boys, so at lunch he tripped the main one, the kid fell face first into a desk breaking his nose, another was beaten up by an older friend of my brother, and the last kid was so scared he called his mother to pick him up. The parents want to press charges against my brother, i had a screaming match with 2 of the mothers as they claimed they sinless children "couldnt of possibly bully anyone, and my brother must of done something to provoke them" instead of accepting that their kids are bullies and try to change them, with better parenting skills they shove the blame on my brother.. parents like those need to be severly punished for stupidity.. violence is never the answer and i see why the school took action the way they did, but parents can be so stupid. a child should defend himself when they feel threatened

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Force and violence can be used as a great solution to many problems, but only when it's used in the right application. I am definitely not argueing that one should not have the right to defend themselves. If you can't defend yourself, you're a vegetable.

BUT, in this situation, none of that is applicable. This isn't a case of self defence at all. I don't find it acceptable for violence to be used as a means of proving a point. That's why we have language. In children it's especially deplorable. What has Casey learned? He should be learning how to solve social issued without voilence, at all costs to his ego. Hurt feelings don't matter, they don't require surgery to heal. His reaction was so very primitive, and his family should be held accountable for their child's outrageous actions.
edit on 16-3-2011 by Darce because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I was bullied at schol back in my day, although, i was not physically bullied, oh no.. much worse, i was mentally bullied!!!

It all started when I left primary school and started high school, two of my best friends came with me to my new high school.. anyway, the other new kids always used to pick on and try to bully my two friends and I used to stand up for them and step inbetween the aggressos when they tried to pull their S**T on my friends as i was a big kid, not fat, but muscles, and help them out as they were scrouney...

So this one day in our wood-wrok shop class, these popular kids approached me and asked what the hell i was doing standing up for these two loser friends of mine.. They told me i was too "COOL" to be seen hanging around them losers and pretty much demanded that i join their little clique. I told these popular kids in that class that day, that, these were my long time best friends and that i would not give up on them and i would not join their little gang..... oh boy, from that day on things happened that changed my life till this day, you see, as i said, i was big with muscles, so this popular group could or would not fight me as i had just rejected their offer, so what they did was spread nasty... and i mean NASTY rumors about me...

I was ridiculed all the way through 2 years about stuff, it was a living hell for me, it's easy to whoop some ass and declare victory over a bully for me, but it damn hard to fight rumors. Whats even worse is that my two friends who i used to stand up for started to become embarresed to hang with me over these rumors that were spread about me and pretty much walked away from me...... for two years i sat alone during lunch times, just watching life go by. It got so bad that i eventually just gave up and failed, ended up dropping out of school and going to a technikon.

But yea... i look at this video and look back on my life in retrospect and really wish I had done more, so much more to stand up for myself. So what if this fat kid get's into trouble or gets sued, he won't go to jail, his parents may or may not be angry with him for now having to dish out cash in a court case, but he will always be able to look back later on in life and be pround that he didn't just lie down and take it like I did, he stood up for himself, and no amount of maoney can take away personal achievments!!!!

GOOD ON YA KID!!!

PS: Oh yea, my wife is now 11 weeks pregnant, and Heaven help the muther-fukas that ever try this # on my kid, because i won't tell my kid how to fight or how to stand up for himself, i'll personally make an appearance with my kid and all of my Biker buddies with baseball bats in hand and creamate the little fuc*ers, i don't care if i end up doing time, my life is for my child dammit!!!!!!!!!!!!!
edit on 16-3-2011 by Electronegativity because: Agreed with top poster, not Darce! First sentance deleted.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Darce

Did you even watch the video? He took a punch directly in the face, and brushed it off until the little punk threw more, and showed no evidence of stopping. This absolutely WAS self defense. If it wasn't, then I guess I have never seen a situation that could be considered self defense.

How many times should he take a punch before giving one back?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Milk

That dude is hopeless lol. I think he thinks that is it a 20 yr old vs a 10 year old or something.... These are high school kids. If you haven't learned by then the harsh lesson that you don't go around assaulting people for no reason, it will bite you in the ass soon enough. The smaller kid is lucky that the other kid wasn't properly trained with a real martial art. In a group situation, that gets aggressive and physical, you are taught to take em down hard and fast. He would be suffering way more than a bad ankle right now. People that think it is wrong to stop someone from assaulting you got problems. Right like if he asks really nicely to stop, maybe they will listen.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by rbilly001

uhm i am a highschool student and if you are backed into a corner being punched and the kid is hopping around getting ready i would have done the same thing i actually would have done more my rage would have made me keep punching and kicking....

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I hate the fact the bully only got a grazed knee, he deserved so much more.
We can only hope that this will sink into all those other bullies out there, one day your time will come!

Tribute site for Casey
www.caseyheynes.com...-144

"Both students in a fight at the school shown on the internet have been suspended ... the only injury sustained was a grazed knee."

This is a newspaper link for the video, that will not be taken down like the youtube one.
www.news.com.au...
edit on 16-3-2011 by leisas4 because: another link

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by Milk

That dude is hopeless lol.

Agreed.

And, for the record....

As a father, I stand behind Casey 100%. Now, I don't have a son, but I have a daughter, and I have no problem telling her to stand up for herself and defend herself if necessary. If it were her in that situation, I would have hoped she hit back after the first punch. I have always told her never to be the first to throw a punch, but if someone else does, make sure you throw the second, and do everything in your power to make sure it is the last. Then walk away. That is what Casey did. When he knew it was over, he removed himself from the situation.

As someone who was on both ends of a bully, I stand behind Casey 100%.

A bunch of us bullied one kid in junior high. One of my friends pushed him too far one day, and he got laid out. One of my other friends stepped in, and also got laid out. That kid never got bullied again. Then, when I transferred schools, I was on the other end of it. It killed me feeling what I put that other kid through (and knowing what I did), but when the time came I reacted the same way he did, and I was left alone.

This works. That punk should be glad he got his arse kicked. It may have served him well later in life, and he just doesn't know it yet.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Man oh man what ever happened to 'taking the higher road' here fellas?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b50932c33887.jpg[/atsimg]
www.caseyheynes.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by lavenlaar

I wouldn't normally comment on this but I truly loved the "Gentle Giants" response to that pissant trying to bully him. We have all seen it when we were in elementary school and later. In my day, we met after school and settled with a straight up fist fight but these are not those times and reflects the character of this generation and their parents. Additionally, I must add, that was the best pick-up and slam down I have every seen outside a wrestling rink. If the school punishes the kid defending himself, those involved in that decision should he fired and as for the court case the parents of the "Wannabe Bully"; we will see what kind of justice and courts we really have.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Darce

Taking the high road only works if the other person gets bored with getting no reaction out of you. That isn't always the case, and doesn't appear to be the case in that video. That punk was NOT leaving him alone after he didn't react to the first punch to the face, or the follow up glancing blow.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Thank you OP, flagged and starred

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Darce

I think that applies more to Adults dude. Kids don't think, they just act, and if you're on the recieving end, you need to know how to defend yourself quickley in some cases.

Kids here in South Africa bring Knives and Guns to school man, they attack and stab teachers in the neck with Sciscors during class, in some cases talking works, in other, you need to know how to react in self defence quickly, especially when there's a mob circling you!!!

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Honestly no surprise it went the way it did. It happens daily in schools here in Oz. If it hadn't ended that way, Casey would have eventually been pressured into a fight. Only because some smart enough kid in the same year, would've told other people around them that they should fight. A bit of peer pressure would've brought this same result. Usually someone comes along who'll instigate that, the bully should fight this person one on one. Either that or as we did in Blacktown. We'd take it out of school to either the civic centre or Westpoint shopping centre.

Either way this is good to see. I don't disagree with the better man walks away approach to things. BUT, there comes a time where enough is enough. The parents of that little rat are probably houso's any way, Gronks, Bogans, etc.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Darce

Also, "taking the high road" works well in heated arguments. I agree with that. At the point where physical harm is being done though, "taking the high road" becomes idiocy. I assume if you or your family were being assaulted, you would allow the assault to continue to whatever end follows? Ignoring someone who is physically assaulting you is not "taking the high road" or being the "bigger man". It is natural selection in progress.

Bullies who get away with it become criminals. Bullies and criminals don't give 2 s**ts about who is the bigger man, as long as they feel like it is them. And they will continue to feel like it is them until they are shown that it is not.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
what people fail to understand is that these are two children... thats what kids do. everyone at some point in their life got picked on... some more so than others, but its part of growing up. you cant protect kids from themselves. this is why we have an entire market based soley on molding kids into what theyre instictively not. here take a pill and calm down? calm down?! your kid is supposed to run around in circles thats what kids do.

now as for this the bully got what he deserved and no court in their right mind is going to allow any kind of lawsuit with that video. the parents of the bully must be just as retarded as their kid (probably why he is the way he is) to even try to sue anyone after that.

basically the bully got what he deserved but you're not going stop bullying.

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join