It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 Quake hits off coast of Japan! Live Updates.

page: 181
<< 178  179  180    182  183  184 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00
reply to post by woodwytch

Exactly. Some dude on CNN (expert of one sort or another) was saying using sea water is a bad idea, and they said "well, what should they do?" And he says "oh no, I wasn't criticizing them, I'm just saying that means they're pretty much out of options."

We need more candor like that.

ETA: looks like we're all watching the same TV, LOL!
edit on 12-3-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

We certainly do need that kind of candor ... I'm pretty sure most people would prefer truthful information instead of trying to sugar-coat the details.

I think the fact that we're all watching the same news reports is what has made this thread so good ... it strengthens the ATS experience and makes the posts more like an ongoing conversation

Woody

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by birdVSworm
How exactly does a continent attach to the earth, more specifically, Japan? I know about plates and what not, but is it attached by a lot of land or just floating there? What are the chances for this causing it to break free of its hold on earth? If that happens does it sink or float??

Japan is on a subduction zone. The Pacific plate drops UNDER Japan

The San Andreas fault moves sideways so it is a different reaction

In a subduction zone, a subducting plate forms a trench and uplift area parallel to the trench. Such uplift area is called a volcanic island arc (hereafter referred to as an island arc) or a continental margin arc because it is a curved chain of islands/volcanoes. A continental margin arc is formed along an oceanic-continental plate boundary without seas between the arc and the continent.

www.glgarcs.net...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
There is some action on the other side of the pacific plate today. 4.4, 5.3 and 4.7 magnitude in the Gulf of California all within a few hours. Something may be building up.

DATE/TIME(UTC) LAT LONG MAG DEPTHkm REGION
12-MAR-2011 17:54:18 25.46 -109.69 4.7 22.2 GULF OF CALIFORNIA
12-MAR-2011 14:11:04 25.40 -109.65 5.3 12.1 GULF OF CALIFORNIA
12-MAR-2011 12:03:42 25.26 -109.96 4.4 10.1 GULF OF CALIFORNIA
www.iris.edu...

You can see the same pattern on March 10th off the coast of Japan right before the big one hit on the 11th.
DATE/TIME(UTC) LAT LONG MAG DEPTHkm REGION
10-MAR-2011 22:44:25 38.84 143.01 4.9 34.2 OFF EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
10-MAR-2011 21:49:46 38.59 143.09 4.7 26.0 OFF EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
10-MAR-2011 16:54:45 38.05 143.25 5.2 4.7 OFF EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
www.iris.edu...

Keep an eye on Southern California the next day or so.

link   

Originally posted by SecretSky
reply to post by zorgon

I guess that previously the printed 'N' marking on his compass was where the compass was pointing. If I understood what he seems to be saying, is that the needle on his compass is no longer pointing at that printed 'N', but at the new magnetic north which no longer corresponds.

If I'm wrong - sorry, just how I understood what he meant.

I'm guessing you've never used a real compass. That makes no sense.

link   
reply to post by susp3kt

They will never cool though, at least for a LONNNG time...

The nuclear reaction is still ongoing though the reactor is "shutdown".

Thank you for pointing that out. I using example, if a poor one, to try and explain the situation as repeatedly posters are not understanding that even thought the reactors are 'shut down' they're still producing massive amounts of heat and require even more cooling. Hopefully your contribution is appreciated by others as much as by me.

peace

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
BBC News live stream just reported new 2 meter tsunami headed for Japan

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

edit on 12-3-2011 by stavis because: change of code

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweetpeanc

Originally posted by SecretSky
reply to post by zorgon

I guess that previously the printed 'N' marking on his compass was where the compass was pointing. If I understood what he seems to be saying, is that the needle on his compass is no longer pointing at that printed 'N', but at the new magnetic north which no longer corresponds.

If I'm wrong - sorry, just how I understood what he meant.

I'm guessing you've never used a real compass. That makes no sense.

True - sorry, that sounds very stupid upon reflection. I haven't used a compass for a long time, and was remembering a cheap compass I had as a child which had 'N' printed on the needle. I stupidly confused it with being printed on the backing, which obviously would make 0 sense. Thanks for pointing out my basic error

I assume that what he really meant, is that he had marked the position which was showing north previously, and now magnetic north is no longer in that position.
edit on 12-3-2011 by SecretSky because: added explanation

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

When the magnetic pole shifts your compass will still point to magnetic north
no matter where that is

Not unless you have it sitting on a speaker, lol

A friend of mine had his boat compass next to one of his high output speakers, he changed the compass 3 times before someone pointed out, that is was too close to the magnets on his speaker, lol

But your correct zorgon it will always point due north, wherever that may be, in the near future, lol

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Should we worry more for the after shocks in the ocean as apposed to the ones on land? 2 just lid up on the rsoe radar and one is on the Pacific plate and the other is on the north american plate. Could this mean that both plates are still interacting quite heavily ?

---- edit ----

Not just , sorry my mistake. Earlier would be a better way to say it.
edit on 12-3-2011 by Wolfcomplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ceriddwen
Islands don't float and they aren't tethered to the ocean floor or to tectonic plates. They are often built up from the sea floor by vulcanic means.

The plates 'float' on the magma... that is why they move and the one Japan sits on is moving over top of the other plate. In Sumatra, same effect. Subduction plates make for big shakes. An 8.9 is not common, nor is having weeks of 6.0 and higher quakes. In this case we even had fore shocks up to 7.2. That alone is a formidable earthquake if the center had hit a populated area. The only 'GOOD' thing about this is that the epicenter was off shore

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
This was just posted on Facebook by Dr. Michio Kaku:

Hydrogen/steam explosion damages the nuke. Early stages of another Chernobyl?

I'm very suprised someone of his calibur would make such a statement. The experts I saw on CNN last night stated this event would be more along the lines of a Three Mile Island then Chernobyl.

I think it's important to note this situation is unprecedented and in my opinion I don't think anyone, including the IAEA, has any idea the scope or outcome of this potential disaster.
edit on 3/12/2011 by Whisper67 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
For what it is worth, on 3-11-11, Uranus moved into Aries for a lengthy 7 year transit. This slow moving planet, in astrological lore, has been described as the planet of sudden change, energy, and irritibility. With Jupiter and Mars also in Aries, and the unique, rare proximity of the moon occuring on 3/19, and the intensified solar flaring occuring on day of the earthquake, these combined forces could have triggered this entire event. However, I like to add the beginning of the Mayan Calendar's final universal cycle that began on 3/9, according to Carl Calleman, as adding to the entire mix, in that negative weaknesses are being exposed i.e. the efficacy of nuclear power and that they are built on the coastlines of Japan known for earthquakes. Just MHO.

link   
Just for people that don't know...

Live News Streams from around the World.

www.livestation.com...

link   
Since Japan has shifted and the earths axis has been knocked out of alignment, what effect will this have on GPS? I doubt a very large one - but obviously the satellites may need some minor recalibration.

Here's the thing. Checkout how much GPS is actually worth, in Europe alone:

Brits are “dangerously over-reliant” on satellite navigation systems, according to the Royal Academy of Engineering People in the UK have become overly reliant on satellite navigation systems such as GPS, making the technology a prime target for criminals intent on disrupting the country’s infrastructure. The European Commission estimates that an €800 billion (£690bn) segment of the European economy is currently dependent on global navigation satellite systems (GNSS). A report released today by the Royal Academy of Engineering warns that the range of applications using GNSS is now so broad that signal failure or interference could affect safety systems and other critical parts of the economy. “GPS and other GNSS are so useful and so cheap to build into equipment that we have become almost blindly reliant on the data they give us,” said Dr Martyn Thomas, chairman of the Academy’s GNSS working group. “A significant failure of GPS could cause lots of services to fail at the same time, including many that are thought to be completely independent of each other.”

£680 billion. That's $1092 BILLION DOLLARS.

source: www.eweekeurope.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Radiation leaks from Japan's quake-hit nuclear plant

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Maybe not in Japans case!
Most Japanese buildings are built to withstand the strongest of quakes,but when the sea decides its gonna rush inland there is very little defence from it!
Japan might have faired better had the quake hit onland!

link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
Radiation leaks from Japan's quake-hit nuclear plant

www.msnbc.msn.com...

But no leaks reported here...

hisz.rsoe.hu...

Japanese authorities declared a state of nuclear emergency due to malfunctioning at the cooling system at the Fukushima 1 nucelar power plant, Msnbc reports. No radioactive leaks were reported so far. Officials said there was no immediate danger at the facility. According to Kyodo news agency, an emergency core-cooling unit had been activated at the power plant operated by Tokyo Electric Power Co., but without further details. All other nuclear power stations in Japan were closed following the major earthquake on Friday.

link   

Originally posted by xHybr1dx

Originally posted by RUDDD
Can't believe there actually going to put SEA WATER into the reactor to cool this thing down. Have they not heard of salt corrosion.

I'm not sure if that's a very good idea...

They should probably be using CLEAN water, not salt water...

Who cares about corrosion? The plant is already shot. They need to cool it so it doesn't melt down. FAST. If they do get it under control, they will have to replace it anyway. Corrosion is hardly an issue over meltdown

We should stop using them anyway until we get smart enough to use the radioactivity directly (like a solar cell) instead of just boiling water to make steam. They could use trash for that and get the same result and get rid of trash

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Whisper67

I think it's important to note this situation is unprecedented and in my opinion I don't think anyone, including the IAEA, has any idea the scope or outcome of this potential disaster.

Like you I am astounded at someone of his calibur posting the notice you reported.

Way back in this thread I posted how many of the Japanese scientists said there would 'be no explosions' - and they were wrong too...

Point being, you're right. NO ONE knows at this point and no one will know until this is over.

By the way, great to see you, hugs and love to you and be safe.

peace

top topics

<< 178  179  180    182  183  184 >>

join