It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 Quake hits off coast of Japan! Live Updates.

page: 182
<< 179  180  181    183  184  185 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by scobro
Maybe not in Japans case!
Most Japanese buildings are built to withstand the strongest of quakes,but when the sea decides its gonna rush inland there is very little defence from it!
Japan might have faired better had the quake hit onland!

Not if it had hit downtown Tokyo

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Who cares about corrosion? The plant is already shot. They need to cool it so it doesn't melt down. FAST. If they do get it under control, they will have to replace it anyway. Corrosion is hardly an issue over meltdown

I've been thinking the same thing and just sitting here dumbfounded at some of their remarks. I mean, it's like someone is bleeding out in front of your eyes but begging you not to rip their shirt into strips to make a tourniquet!

Peace

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Wow..i go to bed for a few hours and......

everyone keeps repeating the exact same things that have already been posted.

Any new info yet?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
what is the deal with the plants ? there is a thread that its exploded !
is that true? and i see there is another tsunami on the way to japan
edit on 12-3-2011 by GullibleUnderlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by GullibleUnderlord
what is the deal with the plants ? there is a thread that is exploded !
is that true? and i see there is another tsunami on the way to japan

one building blew last night, reports are varying on what it was.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Update from:hisz.rsoe.hu...

Fukushima Nuke plant

Situation Update No. 12
On 12.03.2011 at 19:14 GMT+2

Japan officially informed the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Saturday that it experienced a 'nuclear accident with local consequences' at its Fukushima nuclear plant because radioactive doses at the sites' boundary were above-limit. Japanese authorities posted a short report on the IAEA's nuclear incident database, assigning the accident the level 4 on the international INES scale that runs from 1 (anomaly) to 7 (major accident). A level-4 accident is defined as having 'local consequences,' such as a 'minor release of radioactive material,' according to the IAEA's definition. The database entry said reactor unit 1 of the Fukushima Daiichi power station was 'generally shut down' around 2:46 pm (05:46 GMT) Saturday because of the earthquake. 'After that, the radioactive dosage value at site boundary had exceeded the limit value,' it said. An IAEA spokesman was not immediately able to specify how Japan defines the term site boundary.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

i will check some news sources, i just got up to and saw the thread
and watched some video about fallout in the us lol freaked me out
got to get some coffee , are they still over heating ?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
ok i found this says 3 people exposed so far
Meltdown concerns at damaged #Japan nuke power plant; officials confirm 3 people exposed to radiation http://(link tracking not allowed)/gafCBU

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Wow..this thread has really grown (when i went to bed I think I was on pg. 144). I woke up to the explosion of the top of the nuke plant on CNN and have been catching up on the posts here from where I left off early this AM. Thank goodness you guys have been keeping up on everything

Otherwise I wouldn't have known what the @%$# was going on...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
washington post says it EXPLODED

WATCH: Footage from the explosion at #Fukushima1 nuclear power plant in #Japan wapo.st... #video

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by GullibleUnderlord

Careful what you post!
Make sure it is up to the minute,otherwise the thread police will come down hard on you!
Know what i mean?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by SUICIDEHK45
Reply to post by captaintyinknots

Hey. Been outta the loop for awhile and one of the "sheeple" at the truckstop I'm stranded at changed the channel from news to f-ing george lopez while I was in the bathroom. What the hell is going on?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

That actually had me loling for real, it's amazing to me that people really don't care unless it's happening right outside their door. I've been following this since page one and been glued to the tv as well and I can only get two people to even talk to me about this. I've tried on two separate occasion to talk to my Dad and he just couldn't seem more uninterested, frustrating.

The devastation is unreal and I really wish I could do something to help but I can't, I'm broke as hell. I was talking with a friend last night and he made a good point, we were watching firefighters, out of VA I think, prepping to go help and we talked about wanting to be on the ground helping but we'd most likely just be in the way, and he's right with no training and lets face it I'm out of shape, we'd really just be two more mouths to feed.

This whole situation is really just heartbreaking, my thoughts are with the people of Japan, lets hope this doesn't get any worse.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolfcomplex
Should we worry more for the after shocks in the ocean as apposed to the ones on land? 2 just lid up on the rsoe radar and one is on the Pacific plate and the other is on the north american plate. Could this mean that both plates are still interacting quite heavily ?)

That is what I have been wondering. That was a massive slip. I wonder if the plates are stabilizing now or are the aftershocks really foreshocks for another big quake/slip yet to come, or are they simply signifying the plates settling into their new positions? Still can't find much on it that I have not posted earlier in the thread saying that the worse is over. I hope they're right!

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mianeye
Update from:hisz.rsoe.hu...

Fukushima Nuke plant

Situation Update No. 12
On 12.03.2011 at 19:14 GMT+2

Japan officially informed the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Saturday that it experienced a 'nuclear accident with local consequences' at its Fukushima nuclear plant because radioactive doses at the sites' boundary were above-limit. Japanese authorities posted a short report on the IAEA's nuclear incident database, assigning the accident the level 4 on the international INES scale that runs from 1 (anomaly) to 7 (major accident). A level-4 accident is defined as having 'local consequences,' such as a 'minor release of radioactive material,' according to the IAEA's definition. The database entry said reactor unit 1 of the Fukushima Daiichi power station was 'generally shut down' around 2:46 pm (05:46 GMT) Saturday because of the earthquake. 'After that, the radioactive dosage value at site boundary had exceeded the limit value,' it said. An IAEA spokesman was not immediately able to specify how Japan defines the term site boundary.

About the explosion.

Situation Update No. 11
On 12.03.2011 at 19:13 GMT+2

More Japanese were told to evacuate Saturday after an explosion at an earthquake-damaged nuclear plant, and iodine will be distributed to counter radiation. Yukio Edano, the government's top press officer, said the explosion at the Fukushima No. 1 plant occurred in the building housing the reactor's container but did not damage the container itself, Kyodo News Service reported. No increase in radiation levels around the reactor was detected immediately after the blast. RIA Novosti reported the iodine would be handed out to help shield residents from radiation exposure. The United States and France are sending supplies of the chemical. The reactor and others in the heavily populated area are operated by Tokyo Electric Co. Those living within 7 miles of the plant had already been ordered to evacuate, and that radius was doubled after the explosion as a precaution, Edano said. Four employees in the building were injured. Officials said the reactors all shut down after the quake. The cooling system at Fukushima No. 1 was damaged, which could lead to a partial meltdown. Tokyo Electric now plans to fill the container with seawater, an operation that could take 10 days, Edano said. Prime Minister Naoto Kan declared a state of emergency in the area, the BBC said. Friday's earthquake also triggered a tsunami that reached as far as California. Japanese officials say at least 600 people were killed, although hundreds remained unaccounted for Saturday.
edit on 12-3-2011 by Mianeye because: S

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
this guy on fox from tokyo says they are using sea water to cool the
plants

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I must say that through all this Ihave been throughly impressed with the people of Japan and Japan's disaster response to this nightmare.
I saw video of people evacuating, all being funneled into a narrow area with turnstyles to go through. No pushing or shoving, people lined up, others to control and guided others out in an orderly fashion. You could see the panic in their faces, but under control due to the knowledge they had on what to do. We have seen no looting, Water trucks were on site within 24 hrs. grocery stores were sold out, but the lines were orderly and no reports of fights or looting.

This reponse, (other than that to the nuclear plant meltdown) is an exellent example of a federal (or in this case a central) governments function and how to do it right.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigern

Originally posted by SUICIDEHK45
Reply to post by captaintyinknots

Hey. Been outta the loop for awhile and one of the "sheeple" at the truckstop I'm stranded at changed the channel from news to f-ing george lopez while I was in the bathroom. What the hell is going on?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

That actually had me loling for real, it's amazing to me that people really don't care unless it's happening right outside their door. I've been following this since page one and been glued to the tv as well and I can only get two people to even talk to me about this. I've tried on two separate occasion to talk to my Dad and he just couldn't seem more uninterested, frustrating.

The devastation is unreal and I really wish I could do something to help but I can't, I'm broke as hell. I was talking with a friend last night and he made a good point, we were watching firefighters, out of VA I think, prepping to go help and we talked about wanting to be on the ground helping but we'd most likely just be in the way, and he's right with no training and lets face it I'm out of shape, we'd really just be two more mouths to feed.

This whole situation is really just heartbreaking, my thoughts are with the people of Japan, lets hope this doesn't get any worse.

Could have been another "Breaking News" event on Charlie Sheen. You were lucky.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

(Elizabeth Piper) – Japan should not expect a repeat of the Chernobyl nuclear disaster after an explosion blew the roof off one of its nuclear power plants that had been shaken in a huge earthquake, experts said on Saturday.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Here's a link to a live feed from an english speaking source in Japan

www.ustwrap.info...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

i dont want to derail the thread at all but could u pm me how to upload media as i haev some photos of the santa cruz warf as i was helping a bit with the clean up yesterday but i dont know ats had a media folder?

top topics

<< 179  180  181    183  184  185 >>

join