It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 Quake hits off coast of Japan! Live Updates.

page: 183
<< 180  181  182    184  185  186 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Agency still rates Fukushima incident at 4 on scale of 1 to 7

3 Miles Island was a 3.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

3 Miles Island was a 3.

Nope, TMI was a 5.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
so one of the plants blew it's top , wow ok so are we in anydanger in the us ? i saw a video of fallout that had the us in it is that real.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by GullibleUnderlord

There's no reason to panic right now, as you're safe in the United States.

Your thoughts should be for those in Japan who are right in the heart of a very frightening and confusing situation.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

The mods want to keep the nuke stuff in this thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweetpeanc

why the nuke story is involved to this thread

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Teknikal

Originally posted by Teknikal
I wonder is it possible they created the explosion on purpose my thinking is a small dirty bomb is a lot better and more desirable than a meltdown. It's also possible it was just steam although I'm not really buying that I can see a shockwave.

If it's neither of those it's another terrible day for Japan.

AN explosion would cause the radiation to travel further....that would be worste case. No, this explosion was probably hydrogen being used as a coolent.

# 1016: The BBC's environment correspondent Roger Harrabin says he understands the blast at the nuclear plant may have been caused by a hydrogen explosion - also one of the possibilities laid out by Walt Patterson of Chatham House. "If nuclear fuel rods overheat and then come into contact with water, this produces a large amount of highly-flammable hydrogen gas which can then ignite," our correspondent says.

edit on 12-3-2011 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

No it wouldn't the spread would be limited to the immediate blast area and in effect thin it out, separating the fissionable material would be very desirable it would definitely effect the immediate area but nowhere near as much as a meltdown which is almost guaranteed of effecting hundreds of miles.

Dirty bombs are bad but there no fission occurring just the natural radiation .
The absolute worst thing they could do is allow a meltdown it's better to blow the whole place up immediately in my opinion.

You are failing o take into account the radiation that would come from the fuel, not the bomb. it still has to go somewhere. A meltdown doesnt mean that everything is releasd. An explosion does.

link   

More on the effects of the quake around the world: In Peru, the mayor of the town of Pisco says tsunami waves destroyed about 300 houses as they swept into the town square - about 400 people spent the night in tents

BBC News

A small snippet there of the effect the tsunami has had on Peru, which I haven't heard anything about whilst watching the television.

link   

Originally posted by GullibleUnderlord
so one of the plants blew it's top , wow ok so are we in anydanger in the us ? i saw a video of fallout that had the us in it is that real.

The picture going around the net about the fallout is a hoax.

People arn't going to be dieing from radiation poisoning in the next 10 days.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

I gotta be honest, I dont care where the mods want it. We ave been reporting this stuff up to the minute, including the nuclear issue. We have been on it long before that thread went up.

Im not going to move it to a new thread just because somebody wants stars and flags.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

but three have been exposed so far correct ?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
The fact swathes of Coastline all along the Eastern Coast of Japan is now under Sea Level by some 2 meters or so is worrying. This means as the Pacific plate has slid under Japan by 8ft, its caught a entire 100 mile piece of the Japanese fault and dragged it underneath with it.
As the Pacific plate is going Under it, this has dragged the Japanese Plate with it causing stress (you can try the same process easily with your hands.) These individual aftershocks I fear are a precursor for something mankind is unprepared for, the worst is only yet to come if that fault rebounds in one go.

Just as it dragged the hundreds of miles of coastline easily with it by a 8.9 quake, the forces needed for the rebound will be almost off the roof in terms of seismology.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
they say nuclear reactor started to cool down and fears of meltdown has receded.
www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
the aftershocks above 5. have not stopped , that has to be making
efforts there diffulcult with the plants and the rescue .

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

3 Miles Island was a 3.

Nope, TMI was a 5.

en.wikipedia.org...

Nuclear agency says 3 Mile Island was rated a 3 on INES scale, and Chernobyl was rated 7

live.reuters.com...

not saying they are correct, just showing where i got the number
edit on 12-3-2011 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I think this is new footage (a close-up) of the damaged reactor plant building if you want a better look:

tbs.co.jp

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by theibbsta

They're extrapolating this from the fact that Tokyo Elec says everything's fine and the core is intact----which could be a lie or only true for the moment. That's it. I'm not breathing easily yet.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00
reply to post by theibbsta

They're extrapolating this from the fact that Tokyo Elec says everything's fine and the core is intact----which could be a lie or only true for the moment. That's it. I'm not breathing easily yet.

They were also the ones saying the chances of ANY leak was minute, and have a history of underplaying the severity of issues....ill take it with a grain of salt

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by RUDDD

Where did you get that info from? I've been trying to research exactly what you've been saying. To see if it is truly over or is another buildup and release of energy going to happen soon? I haven't found much of anything new that I haven't posted already though.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
USTWRAP

***LIVE NOW***

This is just unbelievable.

"There was a little melting. A little core melting. But everything at Fukushima is fine.'

(You've got to be kidding me)...

'Sure, a couple of people got radiation, but, they were outside the building at the explosion and should have been inside.'

Ok, I dunno about you but I'm just thinking this guy is a shill or just repeating national news... Sorry, not going to listen to this any longer. He's going off line now anyway... (2100 Rome time)

'According to press conferences it's believed to be safe so let's just believe in that...'

Oh bother....

peace

edit on 12-3-2011 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 180  181  182    184  185  186 >>

join