It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 Quake hits off coast of Japan! Live Updates.

page: 179
<< 176  177  178    180  181  182 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by mutantgenius

IAEA commonly downplays potential nuclear disaster in order not to create an atmosphere of panic. The earthquake has no doubt damaged infrastructure, so a mass scale evacuation is out of the question (possibly. Haven't seen local damage reports)

The fact people are being given medication and anti-radiation material are significant signs that the situation is currently far from stable

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

yeah it's down for me, probably overloaded from by the traffic. no one ever thinks sites like this don't get much traffic

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reports coming out of 1 dead and many sickened and 2nd reactor on red alert
12 mi danger zone now...

twitter.com...
edit on 3/12/2011 by Hx3_1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Wow, this is such an enormous disaster for Japan. I cant imagine how it is going to effect their economy. It is certainly going to take a hell of a beating. My hearts go out to those who did not make it.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

There was a big one just outside of Sinaloa, Mexico 5.3 in the past few hours. Rumblings and movement in Arkansas.
Ain't over yet.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dyzan
reply to post by jude11

yeah it's down for me, probably overloaded from by the traffic. no one ever thinks sites like this don't get much traffic

I have had that site open for Months and now it's down for the first time. Gonna have withdrawls anytime soon.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Yeah me too. Its funny how you don't' miss something till its gone.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
What seems strange to me is how there are steady "aftershocks" in Japan, yet the rest of the world has quieted down significantly.Hopefully there isn't a buildup. But i don't see how that could be happening.Ugghhh.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
www.google.com...

Follow the link, and the first info/link available is Rueters ranking the nuclear disaster less serious than 3-Mile Island and Chernobyl.

However, there is also the videos of the radioactive steam powered explosions blowing the roof off of one of the reactor buildings....and the Rueters link is not yet active. So A.) why post it so early while Japanese twitter messages are saying that they are halting efforts to save the reactor. B.) why 'rank' it before it's over???

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Gulf of Cail picking up now as well

earthquake.usgs.gov...

4.7 2011/03/12 17:54:19 25.456 -109.690 22.2 GULF OF CALIFORNIA
6.0 2011/03/12 17:19:24 36.573 142.645 4.3 OFF THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00
reply to post by mutantgenius

Completely agree. I trust those nuclear officials about as far as I can throw them. It's not likely that they will tell us anything until we absolutely have to know it, and they won't admit anything that there's not hard evidence of. Why would they risk their jobs in the future admitting that the plants aren't safe and can never be made safe?

Totally agree ... and that includes the 'experts' that keep getting trotted out for news interviews (not just the Japanese authorities) because they know what a sensitive subject nuclear power is with many people and they want it to get as little bad press as possible because that could potentially set future plans back years ... and I believe that includes downplaying and holding back (until absolutely necessary) the things they are already aware of.

Fact is (however unpalatable the facts might be they details should not be witheld under any circumstances because that could result in the situation at the powerstation ... and potentially affected people not being treated as quickly as they might could.

Woody

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Okay, so I was watching the Japanese official say that the explosion was from a wall falling down...then I look at the video and see a shockwave fire off into the sky condensing the moisture in the air ahead of it as it broke the sound barrier... That was SOME MASSIVE wall collapse eh !?! Riiiight.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Three workers with radiation sickness.

At least the reactor didn't have a bad reaction with the seawater like that engine of that boat that guy was talking about earlier.

All kidding aside, it has been an extremely long couple of days, this thread is awesome, the MSM sucks, I'm super tired, and I just chipped a tooth, I'm gonna try to catch some zzzzzzzzzzzzz's. Thank you everyone that has replied to this thread for keeping me on the edge of my seat for the last 30 hrs. Keep it up, see you all in a few hours.

Dueces
HK45

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

One of those experts on CNN just said that if there current cooling attempts don't work ( and he didn't sound very optimistic that they would) then they would be facing much more reactor melting and possibly more leaks, and currently no back up plan but they are working on one.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Nuclear physicist on CNN saying reactor is most likely in meltdown now or will be soon...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

Exactly. Some dude on CNN (expert of one sort or another) was saying using sea water is a bad idea, and they said "well, what should they do?" And he says "oh no, I wasn't criticizing them, I'm just saying that means they're pretty much out of options."

We need more candor like that.

ETA: looks like we're all watching the same TV, LOL!
edit on 12-3-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by gemstone

It's melting down but slowly compared to what it would be without the current cooling attempts at least that's how I understood it.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Can they no shut it down to stop it causing more damage?

Or is it too late for that?

We have seen how good the japanease have coped,if this hit the UK, we would be descemated.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

Exactly but it was the only option they had from the sounds of it and it's not eliminating the issues it's just slowing the reaction down

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
[bbc]

#
1820: The World Health Organisation says the public health risk from Japan's radiation leak appears to be "probably quite low": "We understand radiation that has escaped from the plant is very small in amount," World Health Organisation spokesman Gregory Hartl told Reuters news agency.

new topics

<< 176  177  178    180  181  182 >>

join