It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I the only one ashamed to be American?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
What shames me is our loss of integrity in politics.

If we esteem the values in the Constitution and/or Bill of Rights, when we "spread democracy", spread these documents too, not in an imperial fashion, but as guidelines for their own laws.

I hope the Egyptians author a constitution as free as our original document.

Remember it took 2 years after the American Revolution to complete and sign the document, and another 2 years to establish the first president.

Things may go faster now that our mailing system is enhanced.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Somehumanbeing
I'm an Australian, so my point counts more-so since i'm not the typical US gun-totting, flag-waving redneck.

If you are ashamed of your country of birth either:

a) Do something about (enter politics, stage protests, be more involved in the running of your country) or,

b) Leave.

I mean, if all you're gonna do is complain and complain and complain about your country without doing anything, why don't you just leave? That way you won't have to constantly get all down and crap because boohoo your country is so evil and etc. Why don't you look in your country's history and follow in the example of all people in a similar position who felt ashamed about their country and fought (conceptually, and literally) for a change?
edit on 23-2-2011 by Somehumanbeing because: (no reason given)
WOW such strong words from a guy whos country was founded by a bunch of ex con Mc's and im a Mc so that should mean more lol.
edit on 23-2-2011 by pcrobotwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
You are labelling yourself. But you are more than that.
Who you are as an individual is what matters. Not where you come from or what religion you are, or whether or not your ancestors were convicts.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by zenius

dude it was a joke because the guy i quoted posted something saying that all Americans are gun holding and red necks. Please try and follow as i have it quoted above my post.
edit on 23-2-2011 by pcrobotwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
There is a difference between shame and utter disappointment. It took me six years of George Bush to figure that out, but when I did, it changed how I saw the playing field. I am not ashamed. I didn't do any of the heinous things the US Gubment & Co. has done. I didn't nuke the Japanese or train Osama bin Laden or fund the Israelis or come up with segregation. I didn't mess around with 9/11, and I didn't invade Afghaniraqistan. I didn't accidentally the whole economy. I am not a banker, or a CEO, or a lobbyist, or a politician, nor do I knowingly support any such individuals. I am doing all things within my power to be the trouble I want to see in the world. I do have every plan on changing things down the line and I'm doing the best I can to give 'em hell along the way. I have no reason to be ashamed.

If you're fighting the good fight, even in your own small way, then you don't need to be ashamed. Just disappointed. Being disappointed in the things that are currently being inflicted upon Everyone in the World by the US is natural and human.

So work harder, if it matters enough to complain about. Do something. Get off of the intarwebz and go to city council meetings instead, or form a new political party with your friends, or become a lawyer and sue the people who did this to us until they develop bleeding ulcers, or just about anything but posting online about how sucky stuff is.

If you want something to happen, make it happen.
edit on 23-2-2011 by nithaiah because: for style...ultra cool style, that is.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Yes.

Well, you and Sean Penn.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Instead of whizzing on this nations great name how about you work to help solve these problems that are before us?

There comes a time in every American's life when they feel like giving up but the enduring spirit of Americana and all she represents means that there are still good people left in this nation who need a voice. If not for yourself do it for the country!

I am a PROUD AMERICAN AND WILL FOREVER BE AS NOTHING WILL EVER CHANGE THAT!!!!
edit on 23-2-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Im sure that your not but move somewhere else then you may want to rethink what you are posting think about it you really dont have to worry if youll be blown up everyday and everywhere that you go. Also if your lazy and dont want to work the govenment will give you money a place to live and food oh and a cell phone too. Man i just dont think that you know how good you do have it its not great but show some love man. Maybe us americans are ashamed to have you as one of us. I personally love my country buddy.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Are you the only one what? Wait, wtf is an american? I am Me. That's that. What's there to be ashamed of? Yes America has lead-heavy burdens, but those aren't me, even if I was born here. But hey, that's me

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooks
just move to france!

wtf?

grab a nice little flat off the champs aux whatever and a gal that don't believe in showering.

all set!

Ignorance of other nations is also something to be ashamed of.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I will never be ashamed to be American.

Although I harbor nothing short of resentment and ill will towards our current corrupt regime and the great two party scam, I still hold the basic truths this nation was founded upon dearly.

It is entirely possible to love your country and love your fellow countrymen while standing against the criminal actions of your elected officials.

"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under" - H. L. Mencken

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pixienoire
Yes.. I am ashamed to be an American. I am ashamed that the people today do not stand up for our rights like the generations before us have. I am ashamed that no one questions our politicians and lets them do whatever they want. I am ashamed because our country is filled with idiots who never seem to learn, and keep voting the same idiots back in office. We used to be able to take pride in being American. Our country is now being controlled by corporations and greed. I sometimes wish we could turn back the clock and go back to the way this country used to be.

I agree with you. This is not the same country my father fought for in WWII. I'm embarrassed by the blindness and lack of motivation to make things right of American's today. So many have been dependent on the govt to tell them what to do, that they've forgotten how to make their own decisions and stand up for themselves. I find this country pretty pathetic right now. Doesn't mean that I don't still love my country, we just need to get rid of the idiots running us into the ground.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by pcrobotwolf

I didn't mean that in the manner that by being Australian I am in a "holier than thou" pedestal. I meant it in the manner that I am not an american citizen in general. I could be French, British, Russian, whatever, it would still mean more than a country's own person telling its fellow citizen to leave the country because it is "ashamed of it".

Though, if you look at it from how you seem to have interpreted it, it is still not so bad as the US' history. While we have a similar history, we try not to start wars for profit, though thanks to our recent string of incompetent leaders and political ties we tend to get dragged into whatever wars the US government initiates (or the commonwealth for that matter)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I'm an immigrant to the US and I'm very proud to be a gun-totin' American.

You don't like it? You know where the door is, we could use the extra parking spaces anyway.
:shk:

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I'm not ashamed to be American, I am just ashamed of some of my fellow Americans, like TEA Party conservatives, or Corporate Oligarch Libertarians, you know, the people that make us all look bad in the eyes of the world.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   
My view of America has always been that you stomp around the world with no respect for customs or culture. That the American way is the ONLY way. I have never wanted to visit America as my image of it is of overly excited fat people with isolated views, no sense of the real world and tv that is dire and un-insperational. (MY VIEW ONLY) The Americans who have visited my part of the world have been large, loud and incredibaly crass. I know not to judge all with this perception but sofar I havnt seen anything different. I'm sure you can tell me whats great with America. I'm all ears and would really like to know. My freedom is no different from your freedom. I just live in a society that is reserved, take others cultures and customs onboard and have a healthy respect for individual complexities. If I visited America, it would be to see the beauty thats there and would avoid all your cities and high rise buildings and crowds. I also have this image that in the cities you all live in shade. Give me space and sky anyday.... peace

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooks
just move to france!

wtf?

grab a nice little flat off the champs aux whatever and a gal that don't believe in showering.

all set!

It's the Champs Elysees and what a misconception you have on the French...typical. Leave the French alone.

OP

AS an American I am not ashamed to be American I am ashamed of my government and the people who run this country and my state. I have decided to move to Canada because of this. I have had enough of feeling like a foreigner in my own town and being treated like some second class NON citizen. I pay taxes and yet I get no health care or assistance of any kind. I can't even go to a doctor not even a govt one because I don't qualify. How does one not qualify when you are practically unemployed and living at the poverty line and below? I guess if I popped out some kids I couldnt take care of I'd be set or if I came here illegally I'd get some help. Well I am fed up with this state and country helping everyone else but their own people. You always help those at home first before you help others.This country sends millions if not billions of aid to help other countries yet they don't help their own people who are in need. I didn't ok them spending our money on other countries. Must be nice that people in other countries are getting aid on our dime and it is just so the US and their criminal handlers can look "cool" to the rest of the world. Well I think they would look "cooler" if they started AT HOME first!

So to make my life better I am moving to a place I have always liked and feel I will be better off. I was going to give up my citizenship because I thought it would make it easier to move there but I don't have to do that so I will legally emmigrate to Canada later this year and start my life over. I can't wait.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Somehumanbeing
I'm an Australian, so my point counts more-so since i'm not the typical US gun-totting, flag-waving redneck.

If you are ashamed of your country of birth either:

a) Do something about (enter politics, stage protests, be more involved in the running of your country) or,

b) Leave.

I mean, if all you're gonna do is complain and complain and complain about your country without doing anything, why don't you just leave? That way you won't have to constantly get all down and crap because boohoo your country is so evil and etc. Why don't you look in your country's history and follow in the example of all people in a similar position who felt ashamed about their country and fought (conceptually, and literally) for a change?

You beat me to it.

And quite surprised to see this posted by someone who is not an American. Would have given you an
, but you had to throw in your own insults.

When you correctly ask the OP why not look at America's history for a role model, I'm quite sure the response would be that whining from a PC is soooo much easier than getting out of their chair and actually trying to do something about the things they don't like, oh and pass the chips.

Everywhere I've lived in the U.S., I've made the effort to get involved in local government by volunteering for commissions and boards. It's sometimes thankless, always unpaid work, but I still get the satisfaction of doing something to contribute. Oh, and I never miss an election.

To the OP - if you are old enough, do you vote?
edit on 2/23/2011 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by doctornamtab

Thank God for a breath of fresh air amongst all this dumbing down of the masses by our political elite. I am in despair as I write from the other side of big pond. Already we have had two politicicos jailed for fraudulently pocketing taxpayers monies, One awaiting sentencing Two more awaiting trial, & this is only the tip of a very large iceberg. All this does is demonstrate how much contempt these scumbags have for the people they were elected to represent. Going off topic for a moment, Just caught up with story concerning the 9 year girl gunned to death in Arizona. Complicit in her murder was a female member of the minutemen american defense, the acronym MAD says it all in spades. We live in troubled times, where? oh where? is it all going to end up.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
No, you are not the only one who is ashamed to be an American. There are lots of people just like you who probably have never truly read history more than “enslaved blacks, worked in sweatshops, elected Republicans, and invaded Iraq”. Of course you are ashamed to be an American, but you should be more ashamed for not truly knowing about the potential this great country has to offer.

I am not talking about the great potential government offers, which is an oxymoron, I am talking about the individuals, and you know the ones that you are truly ashamed of. The ones who do not agree with your world view who are obviously gun toting rednecks. The same ones that if you were in trouble would be right by your side to help defend your life, yeah the very same people, but do not worry about them.

The real America is great because we each can sink or swim, marry who we want, befriend who we want, have a family how we want, work where we want, we have the freedom of choice and that is the real America. If freedom is something to be ashamed of then I feel sorry for whatever distorted reality you live in.

And no I do not think I am a citizen of the earth, I am an America, and no I do not think patriotism is wrong I think it is absolutely beautiful, and no I do not think we should have a world government or world community, how about working toward making our local communities better than worry about some third world nation 6,000 miles away. We have poor that need food so go feed them, we have those who need jobs so employ them, and we have those who need assistance getting to doctors appointments so go take them.

The only thing we as Americans have to be ashamed of besides our government are ourselves.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join