It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I the only one ashamed to be American?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Ashamed to be an American? You fit right in, as Michelle was too, until Obama was elected.......
Yawn, another I hate America thread on ATS, color me surprised.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
You’re probably not the only one but I’m not one of those ashamed and you probably shouldn’t be either. The people that should be ashamed are those that are part of the oppressing class but they wouldn’t be part of that class if they were truly ashamed.

It seems to be more important to figure out how to change it since shame is being felt mostly by the wrong people and judging by other comments others agree; however your point is clearly valid and drawing attention to it is worthwhile.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by doctornamtab
---Its bad enough that Americans have to put up with America but should we really put the rest of the world

edit on 23-2-2011 by doctornamtab because: spelling

I really couldn't keep reading past the first line...

edit on 23-2-2011 by Endure because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I'm an American who has been arrested close to 30 times in protests across the country, why should I feel ashamed....atleast I'm trying to make changes

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
You shouldn't be ashamed to be an American!
You should be ashamed at what your government is doing as I am, and I'm a Brit.
Ordinary people have nothing to answer for. Governments are corrupt.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Somehumanbeing
I'm an Australian, so my point counts more-so since i'm not the typical US gun-totting, flag-waving redneck.

If you are ashamed of your country of birth either:

a) Do something about (enter politics, stage protests, be more involved in the running of your country) or,

b) Leave.

I mean, if all you're gonna do is complain and complain and complain about your country without doing anything, why don't you just leave? That way you won't have to constantly get all down and crap because boohoo your country is so evil and etc. Why don't you look in your country's history and follow in the example of all people in a similar position who felt ashamed about their country and fought (conceptually, and literally) for a change?
edit on 23-2-2011 by Somehumanbeing because: (no reason given)

Aren't you the little diplomat, you sweet talker you! Good to see you totally buy the stereotypical gun-toting flag-waving redneck American thing. Life is easier when you don't think for yourself.

Seems like the OP is trying to deal with guilt and pressure that many Americans live under. If you had any empathy for other people you could have thought about what life is like for the OP. American citizens have their earnings funneled from their pockets only to see it pissed away. Billions sent around the globe as foreign aid? Means nothing, people hate Americans. Citizens don't want war, no one enjoys carnage, murder and what it costs. Our government does what it damn well pleases, off to war we go, more hate for the Americans. Are you catching on here? Imagine what it feels like to the OP. How would you feel if you were in this circumstance?

There are many organizations from local grass-root level to large nationwide size that work daily to initiate changes across America. They are fighting a tidal wave with a bucket; it takes huge money to further agendas, expose corruption, get candidates into place, etcetera. These people are fighting against a system designed to keep them out and to make certain the power stays under their iron fist. The wealthy and powerful that are in charge have been wealthy, powerful and in-charge for a very long time. They have a bit of an edge, can you see this?

Leaving the country is easier said than done. 1st, would you be willing to abandon the land of your birth, where all your relatives are, friends, things you are comfortable with? Not likely. Be rational: if people could just up and leave, the poverty-stricken neighborhoods, slums and barrios would be empty. It takes huge money just to move a few hundred miles, there are a lot of expenses involved.

Where would the OP move to? Australia? Not likely. Your government does not allow foreigners to come at will and take up residence. Your government has the good sense to shelter its people. They make sure employment goes to their own people before an alien. Most countries worth a damn happen to have strict provisions restricting incoming population. "Leave." That is genius.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
You should be ashamed of your self my friend.

Actions speak louder than words.

We try to improve peoples lives through democracy. Would you rather live in a cave in pakistan or somalia. In some little shanti village were people will cut your throat for being white or of a different religious belief.

Stop being such a hater and got off your duff and do something which will make you proud.

Stop complaining already.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Im ashamed that we have yet another anti-american thread to sift through. Whats this like the 6th or 7th one this week? Its only wednesday man, give it a break.

MOTF!

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Hear hear!!! hehe, I am a Naturalized citizen, and I am proud to say I'm American, there should be no shame because you perhaps do not condone the actions of the people in charge, they falsely represent us. It is a shame that people take the good name of the American people and tarnish it, we can vote but do our votes really count or are they flipped to favor a certain person of interest to TPTB?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
don't tell him to leave. freedom of speech.excuse me... AMERICAN freedom of speech. he can say what he wants to and still be an american.

you proud guys make me laugh...or cry.I don't know.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I am in agreement with the majority on this thread that I am not ashamed of my country, but deeply ashamed of our government and the amount of deception that has been implemented since the end of WW2. I really can't imagine how dangerous it would be to travel at this time because of the rising anti-American sentiment that has been escalating. Our government officials are unfased by our outrage at them for the deliberate misuse and theft of our money. They are gradually taking away our freedoms "for our own security" when in truth it is for their security when we finally have had enough and start revolting.

I am really shocked at the amount of apathy and numbness the we have shown. It appears though that the shock is wearing off. It is only a matter of time when complaining will cease. We will put our computer down and start marching toward D.C. It is only a matter of time and we don't have much left. Washington knows that the internet has been a useful tool in pacifying us, but is losing its effectiveness for expressing our complaints. God, just talking about them is infuriating me! It's past time for a revolution!
edit on 23-2-2011 by Erica1631 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Dont be ashamed to be american my friend. You could of been dealt much worse in another country. Be ashamed of the people who are paving your countries future, because if they keep going the way they are, the USA will be a thing of the past. Then we will all be cleaning the shoes of the Chinese

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by doctornamtab

You feel better now? Did you get all the foreign pat on the backs you wanted? No? Well then move.....

Like the saying goes, "dont let the door hit you in the ass on the way out"..

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Im from Denmark ( thats in north europe )

If you ask a random danish guy on the street what you think about the americans

90% will say they stick their noses into things that dont concern them and they are obsessed with power and control... I know becaues I work on building sites, and there we small talk about everything..

That said, Denmark got problems to... but we dont mess with other peoples buisness like USA

USA should pull all troops home.. and let the muslims deal with it... there will never be peace there anyway, having troops there only makes it worse

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SpectreDC

How about a little etiquette and manners for others on the board.

Thnx mod.

edit on 23-2-2011 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by mtnshredder
reply to post by SpectreDC

How about a little etiquette and manners for others on the board.

Thnx mod.

edit on 23-2-2011 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

Back when the internet mattered, etiquette and manners had more to do with being mindful and not repeating the same inane nonsense everyone else repeats.

"HURFDERF I HAET AMERIKKKA"

"HURFDERF THEN GIT OUT"

That's all this thread is about and comprises. There isn't one thoughtful, meaningful, sensible thing posted in this thread. My post that got delete had more legitimacy and mindfulness in it than this threads comments combined.

But hey, if mods here started to make sure such a thing happened, the site would lose all its traffic and thus its money

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by doctornamtab

I'm not ashamed to be American, I'm ashamed of who runs the country and how they run things.
2nd

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Ashamed to be an American? No.

Unplug a while, see Americana from offline for a change. "Internet America" and the real America are two entirely different places.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Clark Savage Jr.

....Which one is the one that is obsessed with pointless memes and useless information again?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join