It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I the only one ashamed to be American?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Rohdan

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Sure, he can say what he wants.

But he can also renounce his citizenship and go live somewhere more to his liking. Voting with your feet is sometimes more effective than the ballot.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Your only responsible for what you do, if you what to shame yourself because what others have done then go right ahead. American is just a label for those who live in that designated area of land. You can be a stupid American, an idioit American, you can be a proud American, you can be a happy American. Only you can decide how to be. I'm ashamed of some of the people in America that create the image or do the kinds of things that ends up causing other coutries to resent us. Labels are a very dangerous things, and are created for a reason, the reason is to seperate people, divide and conquer. It's much easier to heard smaller groups of cattle, then hearding them all at once. Black cattle here, white cattle here, and American cattle here and the English cattle over here. No matter what still cattle. Everyone, no matter which group, is responsible for their own actions. To each their own.
edit on 23-2-2011 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by Rohdan

Sure, he can say what he wants.

But he can also renounce his citizenship and go live somewhere more to his liking. Voting with your feet is sometimes more effective than the ballot.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

Just thought I'd point out it's incredibly disheartening to see a mod follow the "AMERIKKKA SUX", "LOL THEN GIT OUT" back and forth I just mentioned the previous page that is incredibly pathetic, pointless, and thoughtless.

This is surely a stimulating and thoughtful discussion guys, with lots of thought taken into consideration as to what being "ashamed" entails, whether or not nationalism should be cared for at all, and making sure not to make sweeping generalizations about people.

Really, this thread is about as stimulating as watching faux noose.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SpectreDC

Oh noes a mod had an opinion...NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I'm sorry my opinion on the matter doesn't conform to your liking.
it is what it is. take it or leave it.

I firmly believe that if you don't like America, try to change what you don't like about it in a SANE AND PEACEFUL WAY within the bounds of the rule of law, or get the hell out.

edit on 23-2-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

That pretty much sums up my opinion, as well. I'll add that to not actively work to change that which someone does not like or is ashamed of, but instead resorts to bemoaning and whining and acting victimized by said thing they do not like or are ashamed of, is passive-aggressive behavior at best... It only goes so far and then others stop listening to ya...

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Oh noes a mod had an opinion...NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I'm sorry my opinion on the matter doesn't conform to your liking.
it is what it is. take it or leave it.

I firmly believe that if you don't like America, try to change what you don't like about it in a SANE AND PEACEFUL WAY within the bounds of the rule of law, or get the hell out.

Because when I'm sharing my disdain about this mindless and thoughtless back and forth on a manner no one is really explaining at all outside one/two sentence clips of insight that can be summarized as either "LOL AMERIKKKA" or "GIT OUT", I care about your specific opinion and not the fact that it's following the same old bull# in the thread that is a waste of bandwidth.

The only reason you being a mod at all matters in this situation is that I'd thought the moderators on a site supposed to deny ignorance would be of a higher caliber and offer something a little more stimulating.

Instead, you continued the seesaw that is the topic in this thread. I mean, I suppose going back and forth with everyone, either saying "BAAW AMERIKKA" or "# YEAH AMERICA!" is fun, but it's about as intellectually stimulating as switching between faux noose and MSNBC really fast over and over.

But hey, I guess that's my fault for wanting something thoughtful posted.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
If you are so ashamed of our socioeconomic issues then how about being proactive. Instead of complaining on a random forum do something to improve what you perceive to be the issue. Why should you be ashamed? Negativity is a futile waste of time and if you indulge it, it becomes an all-encompassing cycle. Be proud of your nationality and be the exception. It isn't easy but convenience is part of what has us stuck in this mess anyways.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by XxXAmmoXxX

Wouldn't complaining and sharing your grievances with others on a forum on the internet which can be accessed by just about every American be a good way to help spread awareness of the problem and later deal with it once enough people are behind it?

Keep in mind, I think post generic replies in this thread are #ing stupid, but I'm just playing devil's advocate. And putting thought in what I type. And being mindful.

Maybe other people should try it sometime, just saying.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Maybe you should just leave the mod status out.

It doesn't matter. I'm am person with an opinion. Get over it.

I came to this country from an absolute crap hole. I'll take the stains
of America over the cesspool that was Costa Rica, or the Cuba my parents came from.

I invite anyone who's ashamed of America to spend time overseas LIVING as I did. Not a vacation.
Then come back and tell me how great things are.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by monkofmimir
personally I'm ashamed of the american government and sometimes even a little of the people but being american itself? no I'm not ashamed.

Nationality is just a mill stone around your neck, the only weight it carries this the weight you give it.

It means nothing about the person you are.

edit on 23-2-2011 by monkofmimir because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-2-2011 by monkofmimir because: tired cant spell

I agree with you 100%... Im proud to be American, but im ashamed of the way our government and our political fugures act.Half of them flip flop on everything, do these people not have a backbone? Dont even get me started on the garbage spewed all over the world from hollywood, its like a sewer pipe tapped straight into our houses. I swear I can see my roommates iq drop every time he watches jersy shore. I wish I could be so ignorant... Has anyone noticed these trojan condom ad's out now? How can these be acceptable for tv?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Maybe you should just leave the mod status out.

It doesn't matter. I'm am person with an opinion. Get over it.

I came to this country from an absolute crap hole. I'll take the stains
of America over the cesspool that was Costa Rica, or the Cuba my parents came from.

I invite anyone who's ashamed of America to spend time overseas LIVING as I did. Not a vacation.
Then come back and tell me how great things are.

First, I don't care about other countries. Bringing them up is pointless. This is about the United States, last I checked.

Second, to completely go aback on what I just said, I don't CARE if this country IS better than everywhere else. Really, I could give two #s.

Yeah, the united states is a lump of coal in a gigantic pile of # and we should never forget what we have over other people. We should also never forget we are A LUMP OF COAL, which still isn't appealing, and should put as much pressure on it to shape it into a diamond. There are certain extents people should not go but to suggest someone sharing their grievances doesn't have sensible reasoning behind doing so well....that's just complacency and apathy. Two qualities I don't share.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Bringing up my experiences that formed my opinion on what America is and is not are pointless? Maybe to you.

But to me, they make my appreciation of America that much stronger. You can get stains out with a bit of scrubbing. Americans who say dumb things like "I'm ashamed of my country" have never had a day in their lives where they took a moment to appreciate the beauty and freedom of the US.

These are the same people that think we need to be like Egypt, or riot like the idiot commies in Greece. Spoiled brats who don't know what it's like to work for a living, or how GOOD it is to live in a stable and peaceful society, faults and all.

Those who seek perfection in all things are likely to be very unhappy people. And maybe Liberty just isn't for them. Good riddance.

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -Samuel Adams

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

So I'm just confirming that you believe we should be complacent, apathetic and stagnant in our society. Perfection is impossible, but cutting down our faults to the smallest little part is not and should be desired. Regardless whether you agree with the perceived faults or not.

Also I applaud you for that massive, overarching stroke of a paint brush you just made there. *claps* Great form and motion. Bob Ross would be proud.

I want to comment on the irony of your posting of that quote by the way. Because you seem to be using it for something that, while SORTA KINDA hitting on your point, also supports what I say. I'm not content with how this country operates, and I am also not ashamed of what we have done. Putting everything into a pile, we have achieved more good than bad. The issue is that it seems for the past while now we have been on a downward spiral towards the bad end of things.

Should I be ashamed my country is becoming a police state? Yes, I should.

Should I be ashamed my country has committed countless war crimes, aggressive actions, and overseas intervention in matters not our own, only to make money? Yes, I should.

Should I be ashamed by the conduct of my fellow countryman in either being complacent of all this or downright cheerleading? Yes, I should.

Does this mean that I am ashamed to be American? No. I hold too much pride because we're still the only people to have a foundation of freedom in our countries creation and philosophy. One we're losing slowly, but surely.

And I refuse to be complacent of such.

edit on 23-2-2011 by SpectreDC because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Yeah..We should just be complacent. That's what this is about...

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Somehumanbeing
I'm an Australian, so my point counts more-so since i'm not the typical US gun-totting, flag-waving redneck.

What you got against gun- totting rednecks. Why dont you go screw a wallabe or something and let us worry about america.
edit on 23-2-2011 by teotwawki77 because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-2-2011 by teotwawki77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1

Originally posted by Somehumanbeing
I'm an Australian, so my point counts more-so since i'm not the typical US gun-totting, flag-waving redneck.

Gun toting

You mean like, only having one gun.

On the average, we probably have 3 or 4.

1 gun

Where did he say only having one gun? Gun toting means carrying a single gun, doesn't imply specifically ownership.

That was a pretty useless, nit-picky post, if I do say so myself. I'll take one of those stars, kthanks

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Just saying, words have little value unless action follows. Don't be ignorant dude.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Oh how I love that qoute by Sam Adams.

The beer is pretty great as well.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by doctornamtab

I am ashamed to be an American because.Our government is fascist and corrupt and it sickens me to know that our government.The land of the free and the home of the brave. (Supposedly)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I am ashamed that the OP is an American...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join