It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I the only one ashamed to be American?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
One day soon we Americans will get our issues sorted out, and that includes getting rid of a lot of dead weight.

I don't see this nation as being terminal or in a permanant decline, I see it as a growing phase where the fortitude and the strength of the people will be put to the test.

If you dont love this country as it struggles now, then you do not deserve to be here to reap the benefits when things are going well.

If you spit on and abandon your nation and your countrymen when times are tough, then you will not be welcome when we get this ship turned around.

And it WILL happen.

So do us all a favor....renounce your citizenship and get moving to wherever you wish. Just dont come back when you change your mind or when the storm has subsided.

Im sure France is wonderful this time of year.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
The good old days weren't always good.. tomorrow isn't as bad as it seems..

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by teotwawki77

I screw Wallabies every single day.

As for the other replies, I didn't mean to provide the american stereotype as a means of an insult, i just added it as superfluous generalisation. Perhaps I should have added "I'm a kangaroo-riding, wallaby-fornicating quasi-redneck Australian..." maybe that would have made it better

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANClENT
I'm not ashamed to be american, i'm ashamed of our elected officials/police/military

The only thing though is, Who put them there? We did..Well, you did, you voters as I don't vote as it is a scam and no decent person can or will ever be elected to a high office in the U.S. There is only one thing that can be done and the Beatles said it great..."Revolution"....

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I am a German decendant, and I do not consider myself American. I may have been born here, but this fact does not define me. Unfortunately, there is the guilt by association concept. If and when I travel overseas I will conduct myself with comportment, grace, and honor the customs of my surroundings. Not because I am weak, not because I am ashamed to be an american, but because it is the CORRECT way to be in the first place. Of all the failures in this day and age, the concept of protocol and manners has fallen the farthest. Yes, I am ashamed not of myself, but of what image these abhorrent waddling tourists present to the world at large. (no pun intended) The very idea of dressing in clothes that cover the mounds of cellulite seems to never occur to americans who care not a whit that they present a first hand account of gluttony and sloth to foreign lands. Lets not even get into politics. Yes, its frightening, and yes, I will become an expat. I have voted, I have spoken out. And soon, I will leave this steaming pile of drug induced madness for a country I can actually respect.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by doctornamtab

Man if we could only get you to say those exact words on CNN or FOX. I agree with you %100. (Kind of how Larry the Cable guy or that movie Joe Dirt makes me ashamed to be white
Somehow along the line the magority of the public became stupid or rather the stupid magority became easier to control with MTV and overhyped sporting events. I can enjoy a superbowl every once in awhile but im not going to obsess over some over paid clown to play a game for massive amounts of money that should be going to more deserving and more useful occupations like teachers or police officers. Or use it to reduce tuition for education.

Just to be clear I Know not all of us Americans are like stated thats why i use "magority" instead of "us"

Another thing is why do so many in the USA that think they are owed something in this world instead of working for it? They think they just have to show up for work and put as little effort into it as possible but still expect a raise? Where did it start to fall apart?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
You shouldn't speak for a whole country. What are you doing to change it? Are you organizing any kind of protests? Are you educating the blissfully unaware sheep?

Be ashamed of yourself.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Ashamed? You betcha! Everytime this country provides aid to another country that suffered a natural disaster. Everytime I see the worlds poor trying to sneak into this country so that their children might have a better life. Everytime we send millions worth of aid to foreign countries.

Is this country perfect...Nope, but name me one country that is. Is this country's history squeaky clean...Nope, but again, name me one country's history that is.

If you are ashamed, then do something and I'm not talking about simply casting a vote or posting how utterly ashamed you are. I mean, do something to change the direction of this country in such a way that fits your idea of a perfect society.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Canada is that way ----------------------->.

They might be more of what you are looking for.

P.S.- I'm not saying this to be a smart ass, but seriously, there are countries that closely fit what you long for. It would be easier to move there than expect anything to change here.
edit on 23-2-2011 by Darkrunner because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

Good point, if we cant love it when its bad we dont deserve the good part. This is my home and im not leaving for nothing, neither should any other person who loves their country.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by volafox
I am a German decendant, and I do not consider myself American. I may have been born here, but this fact does not define me. Unfortunately, there is the guilt by association concept. If and when I travel overseas I will conduct myself with comportment, grace, and honor the customs of my surroundings. Not because I am weak, not because I am ashamed to be an american, but because it is the CORRECT way to be in the first place. Of all the failures in this day and age, the concept of protocol and manners has fallen the farthest. Yes, I am ashamed not of myself, but of what image these abhorrent waddling tourists present to the world at large. (no pun intended) The very idea of dressing in clothes that cover the mounds of cellulite seems to never occur to americans who care not a whit that they present a first hand account of gluttony and sloth to foreign lands. Lets not even get into politics. Yes, its frightening, and yes, I will become an expat. I have voted, I have spoken out. And soon, I will leave this steaming pile of drug induced madness for a country I can actually respect.

Yes.....because Germany is a country that one can easily respect! No sir....they have never wronged or harmed anyone.

Excuse me ( .....
:lol

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Don't like it here? GTF out, you are part of the problem. Too busy bashing to do anything else. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Somehumanbeing

If you're Australian, that must make you a beer swilling, barbie licking guy that allowed your government to take away most of your rights to defend yourself with a firearm . How does that make you superior and in any way likely to know what life in America is all about ??

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

No. Liberals have been saying these kinds of things for a long time. It is worth noting that when conservatives respond to complaints about these they, instead of really answering the points included, go on to talk about the wonders of "free markets" etc.... This shows us the differences between the two groups. In Libertarian minds we should use the courts to correct wrongs. It seems to me that it is better to prevent wrongs by good regulations ahead of their occurring.
edit on 23-2-2011 by trailertrash because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I'm not ashamed to be American, but I am ashamed of how "we the people" have allowed our leaders and representatives to run rough shod over us for so many years without doing something about it. The greed and the BS that runs our country needs to come to a screeching halt. I'd love to be in charge of this countries spending. I'd tighten up the ol waistband mighty quick on frivolous spending. I figure if I can raise two kids and buy a house and a car on minimum wage then I can damn sure cut this country's budget and make it work. My two cents--

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Im not ashamed to be an American but I am ashamed of the people who have let America become this way. I deliberately lie and mislead people about my age on here, but truthfully I am in my early 20's and will be voting for president for the first time next year. It will be the first one I will have been able to vote in. Ive got my vote ready, whether he is on the ballot or not, Ron Paul 2012. And he better not end up like any of the kennedys, that wont go over well with any of us Paul supporters I dont think...

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Asking us Americans to not be fat, stupid, and lazy is like asking French people not drink wine or asking people from Canada not to go "eh? after every statement

I'm sorry....

I think our problem is that we were so awesome that we ended up making our lives too good. Now we don't know what to do with ourselves. And while living it up in our fantastic lives we didn't notice that our stomachs and governments were becoming huge bloated sacks.

I also notice some people talking about how things are bad now and they'll get better. But things really aren't that bad. We're just comparing them to when they were excellent. Now we're just "great" instead, which seems bad.

Anyway, this country rocks. I can do what I want, whenever I want, however I want. Want to start a business? Sure. Want to write a novel? Sure. Start a band? Sure. Whatever I want to do, I can do it (within reason), I just have to want it enough to work really hard at it. There are very little limitations on what we can do. People here can tell jokes for a living. We can play sports for a living! We can program video games for a living! Anything you want to do, you can find a way to do it, and also have the freedom and resources to do so. This country is amazing!

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Somehumanbeing

You turned over and let your government take your guns . Why didn' t you do something ?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by SimonPeter

I explained myself twice for the misunderstanding (which i can see why) on my first post. Find those posts

As for your statement, well, we still do have weapons. We can buy rifles, just not automatic; handguns too, just not automatic. We're only restricted from buying Automatic weapons, but having said that, there are still ways for buying (illegally) automatic weapons just as easy if not easier. Nothing really changed IMO. I talked about this on a thread about gun laws before.
edit on 23-2-2011 by Somehumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I also have become ashamed of America because we can actually be the saviors of the world and for real defend human rights excluding what is in it other than what is best for human beings but we choose to pillage and rape every last resource regardless of the cost with no heart, soul or conscious.
Now how is that not evil and how can our government defend their motives and actions as anything other than what it is and that is a continuation of the Manifest Destiny of TPTB.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join