It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I the only one ashamed to be American?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
For real now folks. I'm not sure about you but I just cant fight it anymore. There comes a time in all bad relationships where someone has to put their foot down and say its over. Well America, we should see other people. I have a long list of grievances but I think it really comes down to a couple key points. Here it goes

1) Imposing "America", and all the cultural and economic excrement that comes with it, upon every living inch of the globe.
---Its bad enough that Americans have to put up with America but should we really put the rest of the world through the eradication of the middle class through subservience of all political institutions to Big Business and Bankers? Americans politics is a joke. Everyone in politics knows this. All politics is political theater. Its a way to divide and conquer us in the only realm that really matters, economics....the only realm of our lives where democracy has yet to bubble up and make its presence known. What good is democracy in politics if politics is owned by amoral, fascist businessmen who want to dictate the entire spectrum of our lives? Voting between two incredibly rich people who grew up in a life totally different from the people they "represent" is not political power. Americans have no political power and thats why our leaders try to export "democracy" to nations like Iraq, Vietnam, all of South America and, rest assured, American diplomats are working hard to bring the good people of Egypt their very own "free elections" of American puppets which comes with a free Starbucks, Pizza Hut and I even heard Egyptian Idol was premiering next season! Oh goody.

2) We're getting dumber and fatter every year.
----Thanks for setting the bar a little lower, America. Where you were once a shining beacon of hope for the rest of the world you've become very much like the fallen celebrities that litter your reality TV shows: dumber, fatter and more obnoxious than we remember. American kids are outstandingly stupid and getting stupider every generation. How can that be? A modern superpower whose people are getting dumberer? Wait, that's not how you spell dumberer. By the way America, your ass is hanging over the side of your office chair as you mindlessly watch YouTube videos and spit Cheetos all over the monitor when that fat kid dances to whatever garbage pop song has been engineered for maximum mediocrity. Get your stretch marked pale skin off the beach and into the gym. Have some shame and have some pride, American lardos.

3) Quit thinking that buying the "just" products will create a just world.
----Check out American Soccer Mom model #A39724....She shops at Whole Foods buying the chicken from the company that bought their way into a label that says "USDA certified organic" and "free range". Never mind that most organic food isnt truly organic. Or even that fresh. Is organic Coca Cola good for you? American Soccer mom knows the answer..."Coke refreshes. That's all I know" she says with a beaming, white smile. She loads her cart with fair trade coffee and vegan chap stick. Beeswax free candles and deodorant thats ground up pieces of bark from some Panamanian birch tree. Condoms made from wheatgrass and bubble gum, held together somehow by quantum forces and organic pixie dust. The rectangular box she takes from the freezer section says, "all natural" and "100% recycled cardboard". American Soccer mom gingerly tosses it into the shopping cart. She knows shes providing her children with the healthiest food-like substances that can be hyper processed, pumped with preservatives and frozen only to be reheated again by tiny radioactive microwaves. "Its more expensive, that means its better. And look, all the kids that work here have thick black rimmed glasses. It must be part of the uniform. I love being green", She loads her groceries into her 16 foot, 4000 lb SUV and drives off alone.

America I am ashamed to be a part of you but I cant leave you. Its the time in our relationship for you to make a change, Take some personal responsibility for social problems. Dont vote for some schmuck and hope hes going to feed the homeless. GO AND FEED THE HOMELESS!! Dont wait for all the stupid people to get educated. EDUCATE THEM!! Dont buy organic. GROW YOUR OWN!! Dont buy a hybrid. BUY A BIKE!! Most importantly America, remember you are a nation of strong, intelligent, willful people. Your people brought on the Industrial Revolution. Your people invented the computer and the internet. Your people export more culture across this world than any other. So, please, if our leaders are going to impose America on the entire world without our consent isn't it time we start taking responsibility and pride in what it means to be an American. It means you stand up. It means you do whats right. It means you take personal responsibility for social problems. The same way the Founding Fathers did. The same way we will. When we finally wake up and realize that what's been taken from us is our very identity. I dont want to be ashamed of who I am anymore;

edit on 23-2-2011 by doctornamtab because: spelling

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by doctornamtab

Well said?????????????

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
personally I'm ashamed of the american government and sometimes even a little of the people but being american itself? no I'm not ashamed.

Nationality is just a mill stone around your neck, the only weight it carries this the weight you give it.

It means nothing about the person you are.

edit on 23-2-2011 by monkofmimir because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-2-2011 by monkofmimir because: tired cant spell

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I'm an Australian, so my point counts more-so since i'm not the typical US gun-totting, flag-waving redneck.

If you are ashamed of your country of birth either:

a) Do something about (enter politics, stage protests, be more involved in the running of your country) or,

b) Leave.

I mean, if all you're gonna do is complain and complain and complain about your country without doing anything, why don't you just leave? That way you won't have to constantly get all down and crap because boohoo your country is so evil and etc. Why don't you look in your country's history and follow in the example of all people in a similar position who felt ashamed about their country and fought (conceptually, and literally) for a change?
edit on 23-2-2011 by Somehumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I'm not ashamed to be american, i'm ashamed of our elected officials/police/military

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
probably.

kill thy self.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Nationalism is the scourge of the earth.

We need to start a global community. Well, it seems to have already started.

I'm pretty ashamed of American history anyway.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Love your country, not your government.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Yes.
Now get over it or move out.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Somehumanbeing
I'm an Australian, so my point counts more-so since i'm not the typical US gun-totting, flag-waving redneck.

Gun toting

You mean like, only having one gun.

On the average, we probably have 3 or 4.

1 gun

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
just move to france!

wtf?

grab a nice little flat off the champs aux whatever and a gal that don't believe in showering.

all set!

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

Haha I was unaware
I just needed a generalisation.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Yes.. I am ashamed to be an American. I am ashamed that the people today do not stand up for our rights like the generations before us have. I am ashamed that no one questions our politicians and lets them do whatever they want. I am ashamed because our country is filled with idiots who never seem to learn, and keep voting the same idiots back in office. We used to be able to take pride in being American. Our country is now being controlled by corporations and greed. I sometimes wish we could turn back the clock and go back to the way this country used to be.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by doctornamtab

I don't believe in Nationalism & I don't identify as an American...

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by monkofmimir

i believe you are on the right train of thought. it might be more appropriate to say we are all born a human being. it is only the geographical coincidence of our birth that defines our nationality. to say you are ashamed of the nation you were born into is akin to saying i am ashamed to wear my uniform at work. you may not feel comfortable at work, but once you return home you aren't being visually identified by your job.

you are human and you may not like how you were raised, but just remember there are plenty of other people in the world who may believe the same exact thing, that may not understand you just because they don't speak your native toungue.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Im american. i hate out government and i hate alot of people in this country but i still enjoy being american

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I couldn't give two damns where I was born, I'm just grateful it was a 1st world country (not America). Just because I'm born in a certain area doesn't mean I'm going to like the customs and history of that area. All I know, is that I'm human being, and if I see another human being suffering I'm going to try to help them. I don't give a damn about where they are from, people aren't inherently evil or worth less because they're of a certain race or nation, no one has a choice where they come into existence.

So you're American? Good for you. Now shut the hell up you insolent fool!

I always wanted to use insolent fool in a sentence, and I couldn't have hoped for a better circumstance.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1

Originally posted by Somehumanbeing

Gun toting

You mean like, only having one gun.

On the average, we probably have 3 or 4.

1 gun

Having one gun is like having one toe. You can't run, walk or find shoes that fit. But at least you have one toe.

I'm not at all ashamed of being an American. I am frustrated at my government, though. They have patently ignored the laws that they are bound by, and we have somehow let them. Citizens say "ehh...what's one little compromise", apathy takes hold, and then congress takes a few more of our liberties.

/TOA

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Probably;well you and thefirst lady anyway.....nobody else wants to hear your blame America for the worlds problems rant Please begin packing first thing tomorrow. Leave an address; somebody will come by and give
you a ride to the airport or sea port of your choice

edit on 23-2-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-2-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by doctornamtab

If you don't like it why don't you do everyone a favor and get the flock out? I'm sure we'd be better off without you. I hear Cuba is very pretty.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join