It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

page: 243
<< 240  241  242    244  245  246 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I'm really concerned about the amount of water in the rivers and flooding. There was a train wreck on the white river today in Twin Creek, Arkansas. It looks like the bank where the track is gave way. Here is the link to the facebook page that had the photos of it. www.facebook.com...

River and Lakes water level stages
www.srh.noaa.gov...

Boil Water Areas Warnings
www.healthy.arkansas.gov...

National Forests Closures
www.arkansasonline.com...

www.facebook.com...

The Great Shakeout
www.katv.com...
edit on 27-4-2011 by SusanFrey because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-4-2011 by SusanFrey because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ur44lois

You said," can we get PTSD from the weather?'

Absolutely. My most vivid memories are of extreme weather events. I was trapped at school during the Blizzard of '77. I was a troubled child and I hated school more than most. It was my worst nightmare. Our school bus didn't leave the schoolyard. The bus that left just before my bus, stopped down the street when the driver couldn't see anything in the complete white-out. I was the last student to get home. I was away from home for four days.

"January 28, in Port Colborne and Wainfleet schools (about 2,000 students were stranded in the Niagara region altogether).[13]:80 By Saturday, January 29, night at 6 p.m., 800 students were still trapped, with 600 of them in Wainfleet and Port Colborne.[13]:80 On Sunday, the remaining students were taken from the schools with the help of the militia; some students were housed in nearby houses.[13]:80-81 In some areas, buses had become stranded trying to take children home from school Friday, so bus drivers took the children to nearby houses.[13]:12"

I made it home Monday afternoon. Or maybe Tuesday. I'll check with my mom. Now I'm curious.

The following is a picture of one of the buses from my school. Notice the snowmobile that drove up on top of it.

www.whitedeath.com...

members.shaw.ca...

www.youtube.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

I remember the day lightning struck near me. I remember an ice-storm and another blizzard I got stranded in. I remember the only earthquake I've felt. I remember the day my sons and myself got trapped on an island during a big storm. Won't forget that. The storm was followed by a double rainbow. WOW.

And I clearly remember the storm front that brought a tornado through my neck of the woods. Believe it or not, the tornado hit during the cinematic run of the movie Twister. Believe it or not, the tornado hit the drive-in and guess what movie was being featured. Yup.

"Urban LegendOn May 24, 1996, a tornado destroyed a drive-in theater in Niagara Falls, Ontario which was scheduled to show the movie Twister in a real-life parallel to a scene in the film in which a tornado destroys a drive-in during a showing of the film The Shining.[13] The facts of this incident were exaggerated into an urban legend that the theater was actually playing Twister during the tornado.[14]

en.wikipedia.org...(1996_film)

Here's the real story. Yes, Twister was playing at the drive in on that date. But the tornado was during the daylight hours, just about evening. I remember an eyewitness account of the event. A fellow was driving to the drive in to see the movie twister. As he was travelling the highway, he looked to his right and was driving parallell to a twister on his way to see the movie twister. The tornado hit one of the screens but the movie wasn't playing yet. If the tornado was an hour later, the drive in would have been showing the movie Twister when a twister hit it. There were four screens at the drive in. If I remember correctly, the screen that fell wouldn't have been the one showing Twister. Imagine the following. Imagine you were watching the movie Twister at the drive in, while at the same time, on another screen, The Shining was playing, and you could see it if you looked away from your feature to see what Jack Nicholson was up to, even though you couldn't hear it. Then imagine you get to the part in Twister where the tornado hits the drive in during the movie The Shining, and just when this happens, you look over at the other screen showing The Shining to see a tornado rip through it during the very same scene as in Twister. If that happened, I'd think it was more than just coincidence.

I think Susan, Kathy, and all those of you that have been experience the swarm should start a class action suit and demonstrate you have PSTD from the earthquakes which is causing pain and suffering. Disasters almost always cause PTSD to one degree or another, but you can't sue for Acts of God. Tornadoes are considered natural. The earthquake swarm is not natural. Therefore, someone can be held liable. Just keep looking for an attorney who wants to make a name for themselves. That's what Erin B did. And it worked. The laws the thing.

Had to add this. I was reliving those events on Friday 28, January '77 and they will never leave my mind. I remembered how overjoyed I was when I saw the snow and heard the announcement we'd be going home early. I was very much looking forward to my hour long bus ride home to freedom. Usually we would wait outside and form a line to wait as the buses pulled up and loaded their cargo of kiddies. But that day, we waited in the front of the school and only went out when the bus pulled in. As I walked up to the doors and as about to climb the stairs, we were stopped because everyone had their attention diverted by the group of students walking down the driveway from the road. The driver told our principal that they had to leave the bus and there was no way out. My joy turned to terror when our principal said we couldn't go home and we would have to go back to school.

Many people have told me I should go back to school. Maybe one day. One day, when I get over my fear.

I cried that night. I made myself sick. The principal told me I was just homesick. She was wrong. I hated her. She was my tormentor. I loved being away from home when I got to have a sleepover at a friend's. I felt like I was in prison. I felt like there was no escape.

There was one cool thing about the experience. I got to watch T.V. at school and we had sleeping bags. Guess what movie we watched. It was a famous TV movie series. About a slave named Tobe. Sorry. Kunta Kinte. Roots, I think. I remember somehow relating to his experience. I saw no difference in our lives. Of course, I was only nine years old and I didn't fully understand what I was seeing. I just knew it was wrong to treat a person that way. The only time you understand the true meaning of freedom, is when you lose it.

On the last day away from home, I was staying at a teacher's home who lived near the school. It was the day I would be introduced to the digital age. They had a Pong game. I was blown away by this cool new video game. I wanted one so bad. I was upset when my parents came to get me because I was so enthralled by this new phenomenon and didn't want to go home. TV was just about shows anymore. Now I could interact with the medium.

The snow had blown up to the second story of our house when I finally got to see my home again. I spent the rest of the day jumping off the roof of my house into the massive drifts. And I made a cool snow fort.

I remember my nieghbour had to grow a beard because he was out rescuing people with his snowmachine and got frostbite on his face. I can't be sure, but I think he's one of the two guys beside the bus with the snowmachine ontop of it. Or maybe I'm choosing to remember it that way. Memory's a funny thing you know.

I remember exactly where I was, and what I was feeling when I watched this scene....

www.youtube.com...

edit on 28-4-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by SusanFrey

If it helps, it seems really quiet on the earthquake front.
If there's a plaque of frogs, or flies, locusts, or etc. this summer, don't pack, just grab the kid, the husband, the dogs, and leave.

www.youtube.com...

I know you'll take this in the spirit it was written. I've noticed your laughing when things get rought. Maybe I'm just trying to say, it could be worse?

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Going to cross post a question that has developed about mysterious Beta spikes on some EPA monitors prior to the March 11 Earthquake in Japan. An example:

Mysterious Beta Spike Before Sendai Earthquake thread link

Could there be a link to fracking/earthquake activity that is causing these dangerous Beta spikes in multiple areas around the country? Thanks in advance for any insight?

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves
reply to post by Chakotay

Been doing some cross reading in the earthquakes in Arkansas thread. Could fracking and/or earthquate activity have caused these Beta spikes? It would be important to know and look for evidence of this being the cause. This would potentially make these dangerous releases man-made. We would need to know if fracking is taking place around these monitors that show the abnormal Beta spikes. Compare the fracking locations to any earthquake activity on or around these dates.

Going to quote a thread leader there. ATS has been able to provide evidence that fracking can cause earthquakes and may have resulted in the Arkansas swarm. If fracking is causing these quakes, could it not be the cause of these dangerous beta spikes as well. Thanks in advance for the continued discussion. Much appreciated.

Originally posted by Robin Marks
I hope I'm wrong as well. My best evidence is the quakes themselves and this new report I found. I'll repost my conclusion from the QuakeWatch thread here. And the report. And the most recent list with 700 earthquakes over the last many months.

www.ouramazingplanet.com...

"From the report I just posted regarding mid-continental earthquakes.

"Now, new research from the University of Missouri suggests that inner-continental quakes such as China's may abide by a different set of rules than those that occur along plate boundaries."

This means the New Madrid Zone and Yellowstone and the surrounding mountains and fault act by their own rules and aren't like those occuring in California.

From the report,

"Along plate boundaries, small and moderate earthquakes that rupture along a particular fault lead to a build-up of stress along that same fault line, but mid-continent faults are connected to each other in a complex network, and a large earthquake along one fault will instead put pressure on a different fault."

This means that it's unlikely that the New Madrid will rupture in the same area. The larger quakes will migrate. So why is this important. It means that there is a connection between quakes in one area affecting the fault system of another at a much greater distance than geologists think. They believe that most activity is very local and contained with a particular fault. This means that earthquakes around these areas may be connected and this interaction is not understood. So. Earthquakes outside of Yellowstone have a relationship and can be putting stresses on the faults above the magma chamber. This means the earthquake in Arkansas my be destablizing a larger fault. Possibly under Memphis.

So if the Arkansas quakes are caused by fracking, this means the activity could have far reaching consequences. The deep well injection disposal is a known cause of earthquakes and there is injection in Arkansas. So fracking may be directly responsible for causing the next big quake in the Mississippi River area.

Remember that the New Madrid earthquake was not one quake. There were four. First starting in Arkansas and then migrate to the northeast. Coincidently, the trend of earthquakes near Guy, Arkansas, runs in the same direction. From the southwest up to the northeast.

So fracking is not a good idea.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

Yeah it could be or even get worse and I am one that takes action without hesitation, it's natural instinct for me, always has been. I try to look to the positive side of things if at all possible. I like knowing exactly what is going on and my surroundings. I think it's better to have a smile on your face and a good attitude even if what you are facing seems impossible and doing something even if it's small can turn things around for anyone, instead of sitting idly and watching it and just feeling despair and gloom. Call if faith I guess. Keep a watch on the quake outlook today Robin and we are going into town to help with cleanup again. Life is too short and precious to sit idly and watch it all happen or go by. I know my ears are ringing horribly again and I woke up with tunnel vision and seeing lightening bolts flashing around in my eyes. But, I can't let it keep me from doing what my heart is telling me to do and go help even if only for a little while.

See you later today.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
The great american shake out drill is this morning. I have copied the information that was sent to me and will post it below:

www.ready.gov...

www.shakeout.org...

I'm so sad right now after seeing how much death and destruction has occured with the tornado outbreaks. If nothing else, this drill can help save lives, so maybe now is the best time to do this drill.

Recent Disasters and their Impact on the Region
There have been almost non-stop thunderstorms, rain, flooding, high wind, and tornado events throughout the central and eastern United States over the past several weeks. These disasters were not drills. They are real and affect thousands of people, across the nation. Some have lost homes and possessions, while others have lost their lives. We want to offer our thoughts and prayers to all of those who have been affected by these events.

We realize that some who intended to participate today are unable to do so now because their lives and communities have been disrupted. For those who are still able to participate in the ShakeOut, please hold your drills as planned. Let the tragic events this week serve as a reminder that disasters can, and do, happen when we least expect them, and that they can have devastating effects. We need to take steps to be prepared for disasters, as individuals, as communities, and as a nation. That is what the ShakeOut and other events like it are about. To learn about steps you can take to become better prepared against all hazards, visit www.ready.gov

It’s time to ShakeOut…
The Great Central U.S. ShakeOut is today, and more than 3 million people throughout communities in the central United States are expected to practice Drop, Cover, and Hold On at 10:15a.m.*

This event has been more than two years in the making, and our success thus far is because of your help. There are literally thousands of people who are working to better prepare this region against earthquakes, and it has been no small task. Thank you for your participation and continued support.

(* While we encourage all others to participate today you may schedule your drill anytime within a week of this date if it is better for you or your organization. For example, Indiana held its ShakeOut drill last week due to school testing.)

Basic Instructions for your Drill
Here is how to have a basic Drop, Cover, and Hold On drill, and suggestions for what to do afterwards (many organizations are doing MUCH more than this):
If you have downloaded the drill broadcast, begin playing it at 10:15 a.m., or you may find a radio or TV station that is playing the broadcast.

At 10:15 a.m., practice Drop, Cover, and Hold On for at least 60 seconds (the length of the drill broadcast):
DROP to the ground (before the earthquake drops you!)
Take COVER by getting under a sturdy desk or table (or against a wall with your arms covering your head/neck), and
HOLD ON to it until the shaking stops (in this case, 60 seconds)

After you practice Drop, Cover, and Hold On, talk with those around you about what might happen in a real earthquake, what you learned by practicing, and how you can reduce the risk of injury (at home, work, or school) by securing your space.

After your drill, we invite you to share photos, videos, and stories. The first 30 stories to be submitted will win a mini-emergency preparedness kit.
Have You Seen These Drill Resources?
To help you hold your Shakeout drill, we have several resources available on the website, including:
60-second ShakeOut Drill Broadcast audio and video recordings are now available (including versions with earthquake sound effects). Download the recordings (or view on YouTube) to play over your PA system, closed-circuit television system, or on individual computers.
Simple instructions for how to participate are available for a variety of ShakeOut participant categories, and include custom preparedness information and suggestions for how you can share the ShakeOut with others.
We have several different Drill Manuals and Earthquake Scenarios (new!) that will help you lead a ShakeOut drill. Each manual has instructions for multiple levels of drills, from a very basic Drop, Cover, and Hold On drill to a more comprehensive exercise of your disaster plan. The scenarios give you an idea of what kinds of things you might expect after a damaging earthquake occurs.

Share the ShakeOut
It's not too late for people to join you in the ShakeOut… Please forward this email to colleagues, friends, family, and others to make sure they are aware of the ShakeOut and know about the drill. The ShakeOut is also on FaceBook, Twitter, and YouTube! If you are on Twitter, we encourage you to ‘tweet’ about your drill. During your drill, use the “#ShakeOut” hashtag in your posts to be listed with others.

Thank you for your participation in making this a historic event and for your commitment to earthquake safety!

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

I'm looking forward to reading more about this. Wish I had the time right now but will ingest it later today or tonight.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

when we were all worried about you, I made the comment that you were trapped or out helping people- without a doubt. Happy to see I was right
You're a wonderful person, Susan. Honestly though, I hope your symptoms from this morning are just from stress- we don't need anymore problems right now. If it helps any, the birds are all out at my house, and singing loudly. Be safe!

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

I don't tolerate extreme cold very well. That was an emotional experience for you and I for one am very glad you survived it. You are a survivor too and a lot stronger than you realize. Keep the faith in yourself and never give up.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by HadEnough

Yes the birds are out here too and squirrels. Even the deer are hanging out in the yard more than usual but he woods are flooded and we feed them. I think it's stress and blood pressure related, it was a little high this morning, at least the eye prism thingy's have cleared. I'm worried about a few friends that are East and no one has heard from yet. They are in bad shape too and praying for everyone.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Well I've been praying for everyone and I will keep at it too. You need to take care of yourself.. I'd offer some relaxing suggestions, but we all know that you won't take them. Like Robin says, you're a warrior. At the least though, you could sip some chamomile or peppermint tea at night or something along those lines.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by SusanFrey

I don't tolerate extreme cold very well. That was an emotional experience for you and I for one am very glad you survived it. You are a survivor too and a lot stronger than you realize. Keep the faith in yourself and never give up.

I got some real problems. And yes I've wanted to give up. But when I put things in perspective and think about others living with their problems, it helps to realize that I am not alone in suffering.

I rage against denial. This oftens inflames my world beyond a reasonable point.
But when I think about all your trials over the last many months, I figure, if Susan can keep her chin up, then hell, I guess I should as well.

If you just scratched the surface of my character, you'd think I was more of a curmudgeon, and more cranky than Andy Rooney. But believe it or not, deep down I'm an idealist and an optimist. It's just that I think we are going to have to learn things the hard way before things get a whole lot better.

www.youtube.com...

Right now I'm just watching to see if the rising waters delay the next cluster. Or if the cluster changes location or intensity.

One thing is for sure. Arkansas is saturated. Now all that water will be moving lower and will be moving toward the Mississippi. Arkansas is not alone. Water levels are high all the way up to Southern Ontario. Everything that is flowing to the south will be travelling through Arkansas, least on the west side of the River. There is a giant pulse of water moving the whole length of that old ancient rift system. There's two factors involved in understanding what's happening along the Mississippi River. You have the ground swollen and a massive force travelling below and above ground. This will be moving sediments and changing the course of both flows through erosion. Change equals change. Then you have the wieght of the water. It's mass is putting pressure on the crust. And this pressure flow is not uniform. It's pulsing. Think about a massage where someone is pushing their flatten hands on your back and moving from your lower back up to your neck. There's a whole lot of movement in and around the Mississippi right now. I wish I could make a computer simulation to show you how much energy is involved and the extent of the ground swelling and movement. Most of it is hidden. Most of it is under the surface. All we really see is the flooding and we are only scratching the surface.

www.5newsonline.com...

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Reply to post by ButterCookie

We get them here in western NC and eastern TN kind of small little swarms of maybe 4-6 on occasion. They are never mentioned and most would not know if they didn't check the equal sites daily like I do. But here where I am on NC is on a fault as well. Seems pretty stable, but I fear it wont be if NM fault goes. I feel would be a chain reaction or if not, it would be weakened then it would be a matter of time.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Thank you for following up and looking into these Radiation Beta Spikes when you have a moment. Many began prior to the Japan earthquake on March 11 and are documented on the EPA website, although unexplained. There is a potential that they may be released during fracking activities in or around where these spikes were recorded. These are not MILD radiation spikes. Thanks again to anyone who would be willing to help us see if there is a relation between the research that has been done by the members here in this thread. Great work and thank you again for whatever time any of you could spare in looking into this. It is indeed, an unsolved mystery. Thanks all.

DWW

Link to Mysterious Beta Spike thread

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
It appears the spike in radioactivity was widespread. This would make fracking unlikely. Fracking does release radioactive material. But it would be very local. And wouldn't happen uniformly over large areas.

Since the spike happened just as the Pacific Plate began to move, it may be radon gas. Radon gas is suspected to be a precursor in some earthquakes. Although, it too is usually localized. Maybe since the plate movement was so massive, it could have applied pressure to adjacent plates which could have "squeezed' out the radon gas.

articles.latimes.com...

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by HadEnough

Well I've been praying for everyone and I will keep at it too. You need to take care of yourself.. I'd offer some relaxing suggestions, but we all know that you won't take them. Like Robin says, you're a warrior. At the least though, you could sip some chamomile or peppermint tea at night or something along those lines.

Your right, I won't take the relaxing suggestions, can't right now. LOL!!!_javascript:icon('
') Long day and I'm tired. Hauled limbs all morning and delivering goods all afternoon. Tomorrow staying home and cleaning my house which has been ignored this week.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Questions, questions, questions....How many gasses are monitored that come out of the ground on a daily basis? How do they monitor them or know where to set up a meter at, near fault lines, volcano's, areas with high magnetism etc.? If a meter 2 feet away from another meter can have a completely different reading I wonder why, what does 2 feet difference make? I read through the other thread www.abovetopsecret.com... It's interesting and I don't know enough about it to comment rationally, I have to study it more. If a hole in the ozone layer in Mexico is allowing things in that shouldn't be, along with the tidal influences and moons gravitational pulls and they all have an influence on earthquakes to some degree? Has anyone mapped other quakes to it and not just Japan's and if so what size range of quakes? Then you have the crystals humming too down in the ground, does it all just tie in together like pieces in a puzzle? I would think that to a degree it would and that is one reason why no 1 way has been found to predict quakes.

A levee broke in Pocahontas last night in the northeast corner of the state. The town is flooded, the last flood they had was in 2008 and it is suppose to crest tomorrow morning. The water is rising on the black and white rivers so the flooding has started. Hwy 14 is under water around Newport. The white will crest sometime tonight.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
The invisible rift is comming. More earthquakes, shakes, ocean dissasters to come. Tornadoes and activities beyond comprehension to break records of.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

I was just watching local news and they said the Black river will crest early in the morning. The Illinois river over here by Siloam Springs has already crested at 26 or 28 something, anyway the weather guy said there is nothing in history that ever shows it that high...I'm really curious how long it will take these to affect the larger ones like the Mississippi. At least no news of finding any more bodies locally today. My husbands plane touches down at 11pm and I'm hesitant about driving to XNA even though I know the flooding that was on the highways leading to it has subsided. oh crud does this mean I am turning into a paranoid schizophrenic? Wonders if you can get that diagnoses after 50. LOL

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ur44lois

I was just watching local news and they said the Black river will crest early in the morning. The Illinois river over here by Siloam Springs has already crested at 26 or 28 something, anyway the weather guy said there is nothing in history that ever shows it that high...I'm really curious how long it will take these to affect the larger ones like the Mississippi. At least no news of finding any more bodies locally today. My husbands plane touches down at 11pm and I'm hesitant about driving to XNA even though I know the flooding that was on the highways leading to it has subsided. oh crud does this mean I am turning into a paranoid schizophrenic? Wonders if you can get that diagnoses after 50. LOL

_javascript:icon('
') I know the feeling well..Maybe we can both go get that checked. LOL!!! I hope it doesn't have any affect on anything and all the water levels just go back to a normal state with no quakes. Be careful picking up hubby tonight.

top topics

<< 240  241  242    244  245  246 >>

join