It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

page: 173
<< 170  171  172    174  175  176 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by SunflowerStar

I don't even like GEE. I used it around a year ago and then uninstalled it and just read the regular webicorders. I only recently put it back on my computer to watch Arkansas. I'm watching WHAR and FCAR. You have to add it to your stations. TrueAmerican explains how to do it on his GEE thread.

I've been watching all the webicorders, but of course it's hard to get a good read on the others after the Japan quake. So I'm stuck watching GEE. There's a long explaination why I don't want to watch the GEE, but it's off topic. Lots of what I want to say right now is off topic.

So, if I write here, I will be forcing myself to only speak of Arkansas.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Crap:

Magnitude 2.6
Date-Time Friday, March 11, 2011 at 14:18:28 UTC
Friday, March 11, 2011 at 08:18:28 AM at epicenter

Location 35.271°N, 92.339°W
Depth 4 km (2.5 miles)
Region ARKANSAS
Distances 6 km (4 miles) S (183°) from Guy, AR
7 km (4 miles) NE (44°) from Greenbrier, AR
9 km (6 miles) ESE (123°) from Twin Groves, AR
60 km (37 miles) N (359°) from Little Rock, AR
417 km (259 miles) SSW (207°) from St. Louis, MO

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 0.6 km (0.4 miles); depth +/- 0.6 km (0.4 miles)
Parameters NST= 12, Nph= 18, Dmin=3 km, Rmss=0.14 sec, Gp= 72°,
M-type=duration magnitude (Md), Version=A
Source Cooperative New Madrid Seismic Network

Event ID nm031111b

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by justsaying
reply to post by Robin Marks

Trying to find out if anyone else in Memphis felt it...it didn't last long but the house shook pretty good, but I have to also say this was my first confirmed tremor.

Here is the helicorder from Shelby Farms, about 5 minutes away from my location...

www.ceri.memphis.edu...

edit on 11-3-2011 by justsaying because: (no reason given)

Hi justsaying,
I was wondering if the quakes in your region are commonplace or is this a new phenomena? My mother-in-law in Pensacola, FL mentioned to me about a recent earthquake in her general area and she seemed a bit taken aback by it.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Just checked Hawaii Volcanoes info-the new volcano PAUSED yesterday, and everything died down considerably there.
Gathering strength for the Japan quake?

edit to add
In St. Louis every news outlet is chatting live about Japan. I went on three times and said, "Now will you talk about the quakes in Arkansas?" I was ignored then deleted in the online chat.

Not good.

edit on 3/11/2011 by katfish because: add info

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Woolly Hollow folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu...
All the AR seismos are like this, just for point of reference and interpretation, this is the reaction to Japan quake? Been watching since thread was started, have never seen it look like this.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
For folks just coming in, here is one of the Arkansas link to observe current seismos
www.geology.ar.gov...

Robin, is Woolly Hollow the closest to Susan on this link?

Also here is USGS home page www.usgs.gov...
And USGS Arkansas earthquake.usgs.gov...
edit on 11-3-2011 by SunflowerStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by SunflowerStar
Woolly Hollow folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu...
All the AR seismos are like this, just for point of reference and interpretation, this is the reaction to Japan quake? Been watching since thread was started, have never seen it look like this.

I think that is a reaction to the Japan quake. It has to do with the sensitivity.

There was a post by WestCoast in another thread explaining it. I'll go and try and find it.

OiO

Edit to add....
Here is a post from WestCoast that explained it for me:

Originally posted by westcoast
Here....THIS station seems to be a good one to look at. The sensitivity is turned up VERY high so it takes more to show up on it, not so messy.

So the way I'm reading that is if the sensitivity is high, the squiggles are smaller, if the sensitivity is high, the squiggles go crazy.

I hope that helps!

And props to WestCoast for sharing the knowledge!
edit on 11-3-2011 by OneisOne because: add info from WestCoast

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by queenofsheba

I'm not sure I am qualified to answer your question, since I've only lived in Memphis for 5 years, so I don't know if minor tremors are common for here. I have never felt one until this morning though. There are others that post on this thread that have way more knowledge about what she experienced in Florida and if it connects to the NM fault, and hopefully someone can answer your question. Sorry I can't be of more help, I would rather you get the facts than speculation from me. I am from New Orleans, and after going thru the devastation of Katrina, and knowing what this area could go through, this is my reason for keeping up with this thread and earthquake activity, I want to be prepared, protect my family and help this community as best I can. But I know very little about this stuff, aside from taking a geology class in college, lol.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I just heard from a friend that felt it too, she lives in north Mississippi.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

I can answer that question for you. Yes it is. By way of the bird it's approximately 15 miles from her.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by HadEnough

thanks, thought it was but wanted to be sure.

Anybody notice how flat the lines are getting on the AR readings? Breathe, Watch, and Be prepared. I hope its just OVER, and not the calm before another storm in AR.
ok rechecked some not so flatlined, different sensitivity on that one, but geez oh pete.
edit on 11-3-2011 by SunflowerStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Somewhat monitoring but I have two nursing school exams next week that I must study for, so I will be checking them periodically, and staying on ATS to check in on whats happening.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I'm not fearmongering, I take this as seriously as all of you do and I follow NewEarthquake on Twitter and wanted to share an observation I made. For the last few weeks I've noticed frequent small quakes in Honshu just as we've been seeing in the Arkansas area. Just noting the correlation, not speculating the same will follow but not to be cautious would be foolish.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by justsaying
reply to post by Robin Marks

Trying to find out if anyone else in Memphis felt it...it didn't last long but the house shook pretty good, but I have to also say this was my first confirmed tremor.

Here is the helicorder from Shelby Farms, about 5 minutes away from my location...

www.ceri.memphis.edu...

edit on 11-3-2011 by justsaying because: (no reason given)

I'm very sensitive but felt nothing. If that changes I'll let you know.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Just thought I would show this to you all

Awesome Live Streaming Laguna Beach Cam with sound, watch for the waves!
abclocal.go.com...

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
The webicorders will be a mess for awhile. The siesmic waves for the Japan quake and quakes, will travel around the world several times. Anmarie posted something on this exact point on Quake Watch not long ago.
The 2004 Indonesian quake produced such waves.

Here's something I found in quick search, you can find better.

geology.about.com...

So it will be difficult to read the Arkansas quakes for awhile.

I'll just say that the microquakes are continuing. And of course there was the 2+ not long ago. I see Oklahoma had another one.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by justsaying

Wow....You know I'm here too witcha....

I haven't felt the rumbling but bout to text to see if others did

WOW

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

Had a long shivering rumble with sound in St. Louis at 9:55 AM shallow.

Wanted to get this posted in case more come in. Definitely from South, southwest. Def Arkansas

edit on 3/11/2011 by katfish because: info add

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Whisper67

I actually noticed that too. I wasn't really following Japan, just noticed them a lot when checking on Arkansas quakes. They have been warning since last summer that the next few years, especially this spring, would bring unusually bad weather and lots of natural disasters. This was based on solar storms and the position of the moon, for the most part. However, there wasn't some long drawn out story to corrupt with that (think 2012) so most people didn't pay much attention. The thought died down because people weren't writing books and making movies about it. We have a great meteorologist here that always tells people this stuff, and people are just to stupid to pay attention.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by queenofsheba

There was a recent quake near Pensacola. It was actually a little closer to Mobile, AL I think. It is highly unusual for that area, but not completely unique. The Oklahoma quake is also rare, and the quakes in central Arkansas and NW Arkansas are a new phenomenon entirely!

Thinks are definitely changing in our Tectonic system.

top topics

<< 170  171  172    174  175  176 >>

join