It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

page: 175
<< 172  173  174    176  177  178 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

they already bumped it back down to an 8.9

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by HadEnough
reply to post by ButterCookie

they already bumped it back down to an 8.9

USGS Revised Quake Magnitude To 9.1

"The U.S. Geological Survey said the quake had a moment magnitude of 9.1, revised from an earlier 8.9 estimate, and said it was the largest quake in Japan since record keeping began."

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I'll let others on the other threads explain the Japan quakes. But I will note that the webicorders will be hard to read.

From the USGS Earthquake facts, number 35,

"35.When the Chilean earthquake occurred in 1960, seismographs recorded seismic waves that traveled all around the Earth. These seismic waves shook the entire earth for many days! This phenomenon is called the free oscillation of the Earth. "

earthquake.usgs.gov...

I'm keeping an eye on Arkansas. There are small quakes, but there doesn't seem to be any increase. In fact, it seems to have calmed down slightly. I'm kind of confused. But happy nothing dramtic is happening near Greenbrier/Guy.

Here's the list for Oklahoma quakes. They are somewhat rare, but in recent months they have become common.

folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu...

If you're feeling anxious and you are stressed by the earthquakes. Take a breather and back away for awhile. I did. Watching the webicorders may make your anxiety worse if you don't understand exactly what you're seeing.

In Japan there has been remote triggering. But I can't say there has been any directly caused by the 8.9, or 9.1 as it's been revised. It's huge whatever the number.

If I see anything odd in Arkansas, I'll post.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

It's great to know that there are people like you out there to help us stay on top of things. When locals cry out alone, no one tends to listen, but when people from around the world start chiming in, things start to happen, and that's exactly what's happening here.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I don't know for sure, maybe I'm just imagining things here.. but it seems like there is more water in my backyard than there was yesterday.. help me out here, because as I mentioned earlier I had a bad seizure spell yesterday and unintentionally ended up sleep for 6 hours, then got up for about 3, then back to bed for 5 hours, so there's a lot of time there that it could've rained.. so.. did it rain last night? I honestly can't remember much of anything from yesterday, just bits and pieces. If it didn't rain, then is anyone else having the same problem or know what might be going on here? Rumbles and thumps every few minutes still.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

In fact, it seems to have calmed down slightly. I'm kind of confused. But happy nothing dramtic is happening near Greenbrier/Guy.

Now see, that's not what I wanted to hear. The calming down is not a good sign. If you had said steady as before then I would not have been alerted and would have glazed right on through everything else you were saying. Will keep GEE up and the helicorders for AR www.geology.ar.gov...

Been a tough Ides of March. And if this is happening now, whats in store for the 19th/20th of March when the supermoon gets here, or this time in between? It is reasonable to think that the AR would be affected this evening. Going back to your Yellowstone thread.

One more comment. When watching Gee this morning, the readings for Hawaii during the time the tsumani was arrivng the waves were smooth and fluid, but now are jaggedy again, can anyone explain this?

ps. I hope this is a good sign www.quake.utah.edu...

edit on 11-3-2011 by SunflowerStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by HadEnough

I don't know for sure, maybe I'm just imagining things here.. but it seems like there is more water in my backyard than there was yesterday..
so.. did it rain last night?

No, it didn't rain last night. Can you take photos of the water so you can compare? Do you have a spring around there anywhere that might be flowing into your yard?
You said you've lived here 9 months, so this is your 1st spring here, right? Water tends to puddle/drain slowly here in the spring. We were in a drought during the summer & fall so you probably wouldn't have noticed much standing water since you've been here....until now.

Oh, by the way - do you have a septic tank that might be causing some of the water issues (does it stink?! lol)
edit on 11-3-2011 by KathyG427 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SunflowerStar

All I know is that I'm glad the Japan quake did not trigger anything in Arkansas. I was very fearful it would. But when I checked, it was slightly decreased, or almost steady, if that helps.

I even checked Yellowstone and saw nothing. There's just one tiny one. I feel so bad that TrueAmerican had such a rough time when he tried to figure what was happening at Yellowstone. Maybe that's part of the reason I used the webicorders instead of the GEE for Yellowstone. I read YMR and I can figure out what's going on, and then use the rest of the stations to locate the quake. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if these Japanese quakes trigger something in Yellowstone. It may just be a change in geyser activity. But that won't be known for a long time. Yellowstone still seems quiet.

As for Hawaii, the more jagged signals are probably microsiesmic noise. Probably the waves from the tsunami possibly. I haven't checked. Maybe I should. They've been having lots of local tremors and threats of lava flows. Since the activity is so common, I neglect it somewhat. I got a theory on that one too, but I try my best to stay focused.

To be honest, these events are unnerving everyone. It's completely natural to be anxious and look for answers. Yes, I have my hypotheses, but I can't speculate here. This thread is for the Arkansans. I will give my opinion and make my observations. But if any particular person wants to know more, they can hunt down my other writing. And often people will ask me directly. I am honest. But I choose my words carefully. In the end, they live in the area and they have the final word. I don't hide my illness (hell, maybe this is just a figment of my imagination), because I want to provide balance and perspective. I think those that read this thread understand that I try to bring evidence with me whenever I make a claim. And when I'm guessing. Cause that's what it is. I'm sensitive to everyone's fears and will not play on them.

You know where to find me if you want my inner thoughts. Here I hope we focus on the facts and the reality. The risk of a large earthquake along the Mississppi is reality.

Trust me, if I see something weird. I'll let you know.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Yes, the puddling is probably normal. I was reading about Arkansas's aquifers and found that the top layer doesn't drain very well and is not very porous. It's a different story deeper down. If I can I'll hunt down something that explains the soils and the aquifer.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Hey Robin, What do you think is going on here? folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu...

by the way, that's the Marked Tree station from Shortperiod CERI station, Marked Tree Node -- just happened to glance at those stations today -- what does "shortperiod" station mean?
edit on 11-3-2011 by KathyG427 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by KathyG427

I've had a look at that before. It's local and normal. I think I told someone who asked that it seems like they put the station under a highway overpass. It might be a farm. I kinda ignore that one because it's noisy. Just pick a couple stations that are near the fault and don't show other noise. Then you can just check them and when you see something, check the others to see if it's local. With so my going on it's harder to figure out what's what. I'm trying to watch multiple readings to help. So, don't let the wierd stuff bug you unless you're seeing it on all stations. That Japan quake must have disturbed a lot of people when they first saw it.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I don't know how to read it, but the Magazine Arkansas siesmograph on GEE is showing amplitude in the hundreds....is that normal?

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

I'm two on the GEE. I don't want to say unless I look at it. What exact network is it on? I had to add the AG stations. And that's all I've been watching. Along with the webicorders. I don't see anything dramatic on the ones I'm watching. And remember the Japan quakes are making everything noisy.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Also Pettigrew is 600 nm is that bad?

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

I was watching the stations at Magazine and Pettigrew....it has been going back and forth from 200, and up to 600 nm.....I don't know anything about this so forgive me if I am making something of nothing. I just haven't noticed it that high before. What do those numbers mean exactly? Ground motion?

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Yes, the GEE changes constantly. You may just want to watch the webicorders. I'll post the stations. They are a bit easier to read and don't change. The local quakes are sharp.

These are the stations I am watching because they are close to the fault.

folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu...

This is the main page which has the rest of the webicorders. And you can check them as well. But remember, unless you see the same signal on two or more stations, it's most likely local noise. Unless of course it's waves from Japan. Reading the webicorders and raw siemogram data can be unnerving and frustrating.

Puterman has posted some links that help you learn to read them. It's not my place to tell you which ones to watch. But I wouldn't watch the GEE. I only reinstalled it because I wanted to watch the tiny quakes. On the webicorders it's easier to see the 1 manitude and up.

www.ceri.memphis.edu...

On the GEE I am seeing less microquakes. Lots of distant waves, but only a few local.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Thanks Robin, I appreciate you taking the time to look. I am just a bit nervous I guess....I hope everyone has a nice and PEACEFUL evening.....I'm off to work.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Just a heads up to Memphis residents, the local news channels, wmc-tv, had a pretty good interview at 6pm with a U of M seisomologist about the New Madrid fault and the fault lines running from Memphis to Arkansas, with some pretty cool graphics of the fault line layout and depth. Maybe they will rerun it at 10pm.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by KathyG427

It's not the lack of draining that's concerning me, it's the fact that they at least doubled, maybe tripled, in size in the last 24 hours. My husband did some investigating and found that the neighbor's near by pond is still very full, and we're thinking it might somehow be draining into our yard, as the water comes out of the ground a few feet away from the property line, but on our side. Our best guess is that everything is so water logged that the pond is draining out and up instead of downwards. That might make no sense whatsoever and be totally impossible, but that's what we're going with now. I took some pictures, and in person you can see that the water is flowing pretty good today, which is what led my husband to the property line. I guess all of the little rumbles probably helped the water break through the soil and that's probably why it's gotten so bad overnight (remember they were the same size for about a week or more, I really can't remember when they appeared anymore.)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Water can flow up. It probably a spring. With the water logged soils, you'll get more pressure.

top topics

<< 172  173  174    176  177  178 >>

join