It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

Yes, we know. It's already been discussed.
Just scroll up a few posts from yours and you can read the "history" of the 3.8 quake.

Best regards,

Mike

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

I'm trying to wrap my head around all of this. So observations so far are...

A 3.8 in Yellowstone registered, then removed completely from record by the USGS.

Lately an increase in earthquake activity overall in Arkansas. Then initially this morning we get a 4.0. They change it to 4.7. Finally leaving it at a 3.8. Is it common for them to muck around with the numbers like this? I know they do it with the Yellowstone numbers as well.

All of that correct?

Was about to hit reply when I went to IRIS and saw they are showing a 4.7 there!

What's the confusion between agencies over the magnitude about?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by susp3kt

Whilst this does tend to happen in Yellowstone and Alaska the condition of cold I am presuming are not the case here so I do find it very off that we are getting this sort of adjustment.

I would have said that for Arkansas this was NOT the norm.

Sorry forgot to say that this information can take a few minutes - or sometimes hours - to filter down all the computer systems.
edit on 17/2/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by shikori

The web forum to which you refer is Godlike Productions and I was asked to take a look at this very post in early January.

You may read my response in this PDF file

Edit: Bear in mind this is only my opinion and I am a Government disinfo agent

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Some several pages back someone mentioned FEMA test for Aug. Last week and in other threads it was being discussed, it is set for mid May.

www.fema.gov...

Thanks techs for the info updates, you guys have been busy overnight! And looks like some more is still going on. Keep up the good work, we all need your skill to stay informed.

The moon rose last evening during the early dusk hours and appeared to be full, haven't checked its actually phase. My question is, if the moon has tidal pull and seemingly linked to earthquakes, are swarms stronger during the days preceding and just after a full moon? Do earthquakes seem to wane as the moon phase does? It would make some sense if the earth's oceans and bodies of water react to its gravitational pull, wouldn't the magma and earth's core also respond in kind?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I have added the link to the Arkansas seismo into my signature.

While this is going on I will update it daily. This runs from 00:00 to 23:59 UTC for the current UTC day.

Edit:

reply to post by SunflowerStar

There is evidence that the moon affects the earthquakes. Robin has studied this more than I have.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

Whereas this one says 3.8

earthquake.usgs.gov...

You pays your money and you takes your choice. I snagged yours by the way as proof.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

On Friday, May 4, 2001, at 1:42AM CDT (06:42:12 UTC) central Arkansas was shaken by a magnitude 4.4 earthquake followed by over 2,500 aftershocks in the following two months. The epicenter was located in Faulkner County about three miles northwest of the small town of Enola (Lat. 35.237N, Long. -92.232W). Two of the larger aftershocks were detected in the same area during the next several hours: a 2.7 magnitude earthquake at 3:32AM and a 2.5 magnitude earthquake the next day (Saturday, May 5, 2001) at 2:39AM. Two other aftershocks occurred on May 22, 2001. The first at 2:28AM had a magnitude of 2.2; the other event occurred at 3:09AM CDT. Both of these small earthquakes were located near Vilonia (Figure 1 and Table 1).

Source: The May 2001 Faulkner County Earthquakes

Just thought this might be of interest.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by SunflowerStar
Some several pages back someone mentioned FEMA test for Aug. Last week and in other threads it was being discussed, it is set for mid May.

www.fema.gov...

I've seen May for awhile. check out (www.abovetopsecret.com...) for more. Talks about FEMA buying up a weeks worth of water, MRE's and survival blankets for "immediate use" The bids and timing of everything make you wonder.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Latest data:

17.02.2011 13:00:14 3.4 North America United States Alaska Chulitna
17.02.2011 12:00:13 2.4 North America United States Washington Harmony Falls Landing
17.02.2011 12:25:14 4.0 North America United States Arkansas Soda Valley
17.02.2011 11:30:12 3.8 North America United States Wyoming Lake

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by evansa4

Talks about FEMA buying up a weeks worth of water, MRE's and survival blankets for "immediate use"

Just keeping the "truth" to that RFI notice. It was for sources only! Nothing was purchased. The RFI for the meals was actually canceled on 1/27/2011 www.fbo.gov... ........I have not searched to see if a new RFI was issued.....

But to your credit your post does show that Fema is preparing for this potential event......
edit on 17-2-2011 by Cloudsinthesky because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-2-2011 by Cloudsinthesky because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by SunflowerStar

The size of the moon doesn't change.

Only the amount and direction of the light falling on it.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Ericthedoubter

And it's distance from the earth, and the fact that the earth with the sun can be the bread of a moon sandwich. Plenty of things that can affect the effect of the gravitational pull of the Moon.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by shikori

Excellent post, I have been attempting to instigate discussion of Volcanic activity throughout this thread, but nobody seems interested enough to discuss it? I find it to be a very rational hypothesis given the swarms, which typically surround volcanoes, and the smells reported in the area. It is a geothermal area, look at the hot springs... why is it such a stretch for people to believe this could be volcanic in nature? There is much evidence that points to volcanic activity here... it cannot be dismissed.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Ericthedoubter

Actually at this time of the year we are in a perigee phase of the moon, it is closer in the winter time than in the summer due to the orbit. It results in King Tides on the coasts too, saw it on weather.com last night.. and here is another resource www.moonconnection.com...

It could be possible that because of the pull of the moon we could have larger quakes??? Not a geologist..

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   

"I think everyone recognizes that there is an increased number of seismic events occurring in and around this area. If you look at the maps, at least circumstantially, there appears to be evidence that they may be related to disposal operations," said Khoury. "But we also know that this is an area that is historically active."

Source

Despite this piece of disinformation I have tried several catalogues now and I cannot find any activity in an 8 km radius of the centre point as shown here:

Sorry I did not make my original screenshot big enough but you get the idea.

The centre point is thus:

This is a timeline graph of magnitudes for quakes I was able to find. They start in 1982 and.....well you can see for yourself. Don't forget this is ONLY and 8km radius around Guy - not the whole of Arkansas.

That makes nonsense of the report.

Although drilling for natural gas has been ruled out as a cause for the quakes, experts want to continue looking at salt water disposal wells, said Scott Ausbrooks, geohazards supervisor for the Geological Survey. Disposal wells occur when drilling waster is injected back into the earth after drilling.

Source as above.

I have said it before and I will say it again. They CANNOT afford to admit this is caused by the fracking.

Edit:

I am not going to sign up to CNN but if someone is already you should send a link to this thread to open their eyes a bit.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by heliophysical1

Perhaps you did not see my response then to the post from GLP.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

If you read the PDF you will find there are many reasons why the features mentioned are not because of an active volcano.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Woke up and got a headache. Had a quick peek. I'm really glad I've exorcised my thoughts, and now you all possessed and are having the conversation. But I'm busy for a while.

What's the cumulative energy now Puterman. Remember they haven't added all the ones under 2 mag. I count about eighty quakes before bed last night. Now I'd put it around a hundred.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

Since the start of 2010 the total energy released including today up to the 10:49:48 UTC mag 3.8 quake is the equivalent of a 4.586 magnitude earthquake.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join