It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

You made some valid arguments. I'm not saying that every piece of alleged evidence in that post is true, I just believe that the volcanic angle still needs to be discussed as a possibility. As I respect your knowledge on this subject, and found your reponses in the PDF to be educated, however you or anyone for that matter cannot without a doubt prove or disprove the involvement of volcanic activity in this case. Even the best Geologists are caught off gaurd, and find themselves surprised often. There is so much that is not known, or simply cannot be known with the instruments we currently use. We can only know what is going on a certain distance below the earth, and beyond that its only speculation. All I am saying is it cannot be totally dismissed, nobody can have enough solid evidence to be able to do that. At least not until a major volcanic event were to occur.

All of our questions will be answered soon enough, something is going to happen in this area eventually... when? who knows. But when it does we will all know the nature of the beast at work here, whether its volcanic, purely seismic, or other.

All I know is something is not right here. I would be very nervous to be living in this area. Whatever speculation may exist from any of us in relation to the cause... the bottom line is we have anomalous activity in this area that could be a warning of a great and disastrous event to come.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterManI am not going to sign up to CNN but if someone is already you should send a link to this thread to open their eyes a bit.

edit on 17/2/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

I'm sure I saw a CNN report about 0740 EST this morning mentioning the quake activity in the New Madrid fault area. sorry I didn't tape it. believe it was the weather dude, just before the weather.

not sure this legitimizes what we already 'know' but I guess it confirms our concerns.
this from CNN site

news.blogs.cnn.com...
edit on 17-2-2011 by works4dhs because: add link

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by VeniVidi
A lot of great information located in this thread. Obviously there are quite a few members on ATS who are very knowledgeable in earthquakes. But what good does all this gloom and doom predictions do if these members ignore another members request for information concerning the danger to him and his family. Numerous pages I gave my location is Southern Illinois and asked members to provide me with a opinion as to whether me and my family might be in danger. Not one member has bothered to answer my post.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yes, living where you are there is a real danger. Whether I'm right or not is mute. Take steps to prepare. I hate saying the quakes are coming soon. But the injection process have speed up the clock. February is earthquake preparedness month. See if there's activity happening in you community that will help develope a plan.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by susp3kt

I'm trying to wrap my head around all of this. So observations so far are...

A 3.8 in Yellowstone registered, then removed completely from record by the USGS.

Lately an increase in earthquake activity overall in Arkansas. Then initially this morning we get a 4.0. They change it to 4.7. Finally leaving it at a 3.8. Is it common for them to muck around with the numbers like this? I know they do it with the Yellowstone numbers as well.

All of that correct?

Yes because there have been 4 earthquakes in Arkansas in the past 24 hours. 4.0, 4.1 amd 3.8 and there was a 2 point something there about 48 minutes ago and 1 minute later at about 9:20 AM CST there was a 2 point something in eastern Tennessee.
The 3.8 was coming up because it was most recent at 5AM this morning. Not to mention a cluster of tremblers (about 10 or 12) in New Madrid Missouri in the past week.
btw... I live nearby on a "connecting" fault and it was on my local TV News this morning.
OK for each big truck that passes by I might be under my desk at this point.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Robin Marks

Originally posted by VeniVidi
A lot of great information located in this thread. Obviously there are quite a few members on ATS who are very knowledgeable in earthquakes. But what good does all this gloom and doom predictions do if these members ignore another members request for information concerning the danger to him and his family. Numerous pages I gave my location is Southern Illinois and asked members to provide me with a opinion as to whether me and my family might be in danger. Not one member has bothered to answer my post.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yes, living where you are there is a real danger. Whether I'm right or not is mute. Take steps to prepare. I hate saying the quakes are coming soon. But the injection process have speed up the clock. February is earthquake preparedness month. See if there's activity happening in you community that will help develope a plan.

Yes Neighbor.. If you feel the Earth moving get in a doorway or under s sturdy table. If you are in the flood zone.... get a boat.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I'm really brain-dead today. Too much thinking over the past two days. And I've been carrying around the Arkansas story since New Years. Unlike the media, I stayed and investigated further. The NY Times has covered the fracking. Good job. I'm tired.

So I'll just post this report. It's the research on mid-continetal earthquakes. MSNBC has an article as well.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Puterman, I know you're a skepic. Me too. But you have to admit that I was way ahead and told you after only a few quakes that something was brewing. You'll notice there was a quiet period over the last two weeks. It was just plodding along, then stopped, then started again with occasional bursts. But then the other morning I saw one but they're we a few littles here and there. I could see that it was building. That night I was convinced that it was going to be big. But I said forget it, it will probably stop when I sleep. It didn't. In the morning the activity was increasing, not decreasing and so I made this tread. Call me the swarm whisperer. If you remember I was trying to get the Yellowstone group to take notice of the small cluster that occured on January 15th. I then tried to get everyone notice the activity on the 16th and told them that there would be some significant activity. Well, they all paid attention the next day on the 17th when the swarm started really rocking. I know sometimes I make bold claims that I know what going on. But I always tried to demonstrate it by knowing what going to happen. Nothing pyshic, it's just recognizing patterns. Apply the research and look for examples. My gut told me I was right, but my head showed me how to prove it. Write about it. Document it.

That geologist, Scott Ausbrook said what I was saying, fracking is like hitting the fast-forward button. That's why I think a major series of earthquakes will hit Memphis and the whole region.

Fracking and Injection cause earthquakes. Fact.
Earthquakes in mid-continetal areas trigger other earthquakes in adjacent fault networks. New study.
There is an earthquake swarm in Arkansas, trending in the same direction as the rift fault. Fact.

My hypothesis is more complex than just these three points. Because it is a dynamic process involving the water cycle, weather, and gravitational forces. There are patterns to swarms and if you can read them you will understand the bigger picture. Lots of little quakes matter. Because the ground is talking to you and all you need to do is listen.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Something to watch for as well, the last time the New Madrid gave way their where things call "Sand Blows" or "Sand Boils".

I heard since the New Madrid is a unique fault, it does not release pressure like others, due to the bed rock going head-to-head, at the rift.

Robin please correct me if I am wrong, but some of the energy release in the 1800's went thousands of feet into the air, leaving many massive sand holes everywhere.

Some say to keep an eye on "Sandboil's"

www.showme.net...

Excellent vid by the USGS

edit on 17-2-2011 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Hey all,

I live in Memphis TN and have been keeping up with all the New Madrid Earthquake info...

I did notice on CNN's website, they are discussing.....news.blogs.cnn.com...

and have pointed out that this is the 3rd quake in Arkansas ( now there has been a 4th) over a 3.o magnitude.

An hour ago, even though I amy not have felt a tremor I felt a sort of 'seasick' and dizzy...

JUST IN: FOX news is about to discuss a major quake due for New York???/ And that Hollywood is making a film about it

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

well that is not much of a suprise
sounds like fox is only advertising for the movie then

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

yes, they are...but they have a seismologists on here now discussing the fact that New York is overdue for a quake tho, aside from the movie, and could possibly see one around the Manhattan area

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

Man...so why don't they just say the continental US is over due? Or is this a way of making a New York quake potential the top news story vs the REAL story unfolding now on the New Madrid????

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Great point and interesting question!

Hmmm...ratings vs. reality? Ratings win.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Lol>..Yes, I agree....honestly i think they are trying to divert attention off of the Arkansas swarms and activity...

I didn't like how they were discussing Arkansas quakes and the New Madrid and then immediatley start discussing a freakin' Hollywood movie about a quake in New York....

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Pretty classic bait and switch scam going on there. Unfortunately many people are so numbed and lacking in attention span that they only remember the most recent sound bite.

I'm certain that people that live in the area are much more tuned in to their surroundings than those talking heads in their studios. I live close to Galveston, TX and would probably be affected by any sizable event that may occur in the NMSZ so I plan on following this tread very closely.

Thank you to everyone in the thick of this for keeping those of us who are only peripherally involved as informed as we can be without actually being there.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
It's like they are telling you without telling you it's about to happen.

We all have been watching the NMF waiting for new fissures to open knowing the Mississippi will be a bad event and I also saw as another member mentioned above Fox News out of the blue making this big deal about New York due for the big one even showing the fault lines in NY

This reeks of Telsa earthquake technology to me

They also were mentioning as another member wrote about the sand in Arkansas might be the cause in that area seems they must be reading ATS

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by heliophysical1

There is so much that is not known, or simply cannot be known with the instruments we currently use. We can only know what is going on a certain distance below the earth, and beyond that its only speculation. All I am saying is it cannot be totally dismissed, nobody can have enough solid evidence to be able to do that. At least not until a major volcanic event were to occur.

Indeed. Never a truer word my friend. Actually I would have thought it occurring would have disproved my theory!

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

You noted earlier that this recent spike wasn't as big as one in October and another. How does this newest swarm match up now.

And admit that you love me.

edit on 17-2-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I was wondering is there any tech available or data from tech available that's able to see a discernable difference in ground temperature from space or even from high altitude recon planes? Is there data floating around out there from these sources that we could use to check for volcanic activity? I'm looking now but can't find much.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

I don't think the watery sand geysers went more than a couple hundred feet high. There were holes blasted through the ground and massive cracks. Sulfer smells and a strange vapour. As we know there is lots of natural gas in the shales. Migrating gas, water and pressure shot material out of the ground as if it was a baker's piping bag. The ground will become a liquid. This is the real danger.

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join