It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by heliophysical1
reply to post by daggyz

The Aleutian Islands are full of Volcanoes, where swarms make sense. Thanks for helping to reinforce my point! Volcanic activity needs to be discussed!

I have been trying to get people to realize the possibility of volcanic activity on the New Madrid for years. You get a lot of scoffs. Hot Springs is a geothermal hot spot that is well within the NMSZ. That is a real danger !! The western side of the Mississippi is a flood plain. That area has been back filled with sediment and underground water,Robin is right when he said that it"s all about the water.Just look at a topographical map of the region. When we get a 6+ shake on the New Madrid it's going to be like living on a bowl of pudding. There will be much sinking of land. I live across the river east of New Madrid. The recent activity in Ark. concerns me greatly. WE could very well see a volcano in The Hot Springs area in our life time.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I'm gonna re-post this from page 16.

I was wondering is there any tech available or data from tech available that's able to see a discernable difference in ground temperature from space or even from high altitude recon planes? Is there data floating around out there from these sources that we could use to check for volcanic activity? I'm looking now but can't find much.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by pwrthtbe

Look into information about the AVHRR satellite. It has thermal imaging of the Earth's crusts and whatnot. It works in infared imagery and uses different bands of light I believe to show different things... It's hard to find detailed information because I think it shows something unstable.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by 9Cib27

Thanks a bunch. I found a company in the UK that does this type of thermal imaging but not for the US.

Thermal Imaging

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by pwrthtbe
I'm gonna re-post this from page 16.

I was wondering is there any tech available or data from tech available that's able to see a discernable difference in ground temperature from space or even from high altitude recon planes? Is there data floating around out there from these sources that we could use to check for volcanic activity? I'm looking now but can't find much.

Take a look at some of the links generated by this search.

I can't seem to find it right this instant, but there was a paper related to this very subject I've read recently that includes data surrounding the Bam earthquake of 2003 as well as a few others that deal with retroactively predicting earthquakes by analyzing the stress patterns produced in the earth by the build up of tectonic pressure.

There were some very interesting and thought-provoking images of before and after of several earthquakes that show very obvious differences. You could see a temperature build up followed by a release. There were also images that showed stress patterns before and after which were very striking as well.
edit on 17-2-2011 by jadedANDcynical because: Typo and paragraph fix.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by kimsie

Yes Neighbor.. If you feel the Earth moving get in a doorway or under s sturdy table. If you are in the flood zone.... get a boat.

Or just go outside. I know I would rather be under the sky during an Earthquake than a table, doorframe or roof.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
In the following report, the geologist has to admitt that it's due to the gas industry. It's the injection wells. He can't rule out a natural cause but since there are several injection wells in the area is very possible.

No it's absolutely the case and injection well have been proven to induce earthquakes.
So the cause is not in dispute. But when he says the no reason to fear any larger quakes, he's full of shiat. How can he say that? Has he not read the new and leading research show interconnectiness of the whole region and how the fault networks can trigger one another. This can not stand. He does not have his facts, and is underplaying the role of fracking. He knows it's causing the swarm. And I bet they've done a test. Over the last few weeks, the activity stopped. The stopped and started. Then the swarm roared back to life. I think they were experimenting by shut off the flows and wait to see what happens. Then just before these lastest flurries, they decided to bring it back to full speed. This increased pumping started this latest frenzy. Look for a sudden stop. They may be afraid of the increasing numbers and sizes of quakes and may pull the plug.

www.foxnews.com...

edit on 17-2-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

I hope they stop. Greed has a way of stepping over reason. That is what worries me.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Here's another one

They just don't seem to quit today.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Are there any local reporters pursuing this angle? If I were part of the local media I would dig and dig into this with ad fine a skein as I could bring to bear. Watch the drilling sites for increased activity, monitor power consumption, record times and movement of oil/natural gas drilling companies and compare all of that to the earthquake data to see if a pattern developed.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Robin What effect do you feel the March 19th full moon will have on the NMSZ ?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Do you have a link to this geologist and what he said. I believe you of course, I just wanted to read the article.

If this geologist admits that fracking could be causing the earthquakes, then why the hell isn't someone shutting them down? There are hundreds of thousands of lives at stake here, including myself and everyone I know and love. How does our government just sit by and let them play with so many lives? Who am I kidding, like our government really gives a rats arse...Unbelievable..

ETA: Sorry Robin, I missed your link that is clearly there...
edit on 17-2-2011 by kennylee because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
did anyone see the 3.6 yellowstone earthquake???

it was quickly removed... is this normal?
how do i post pictures? i took a screenshot

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

Thank you so much for that link to that search. I'm gonna dig around on this. There has to be some data somewhere that's available online to look at.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I live just outside of Nashville, TN. Between Clarksville, TN and Nashville... right on route 24.

That being said... for the past month 3 out of 5 of my household, myself included have been hearing humming off and on. In the past two weeks we've noticed a rapid increase in static electricity in our home, ie: petting our cats shocks both them and us...touch someone else... shocks them....touch a metal surface... shock yourself... etc...etc. I'm not sure if this relates to the solar flare or something else.

Also... odd smells have been noticed both inside and outside of the house with no identifiable source. They aren't of a sulfurous nature, but more of a metallic nature. If you happen to be drinking something when this smell hits you, you get that unnatural metallic taste even if it's just simply water you're drinking. I don't know if this matters or not but I myself feel as if I smell it more on days we've had rain or snow when there is a moisture in the air.

As for our pets... they have all been acting very needy as of late... most notably our 1 cat who usually chooses to ignore everyone as if we do not exsist. Now she tends to randomly come around mewing like crazy and demanding attention. I'll have to pay more attention to this to see if it follows any pattern with the smells or humming.

Anyways, I don't know if this means much of anything. Just observations I have noticed recently here. S&F to the OP. Robin keep up the great work.... same to you Puterman! I don't post often and choose to lurk instead but I have always been a big follower of both of your posts. You both have a great way of stating the facts in a way we can all easily relate to. So... Puterman... keep the disinformation flowing ,backed by all the facts, as you always do. Some of us enjoy reading what you have to say.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by 9Cib27

You have to be very careful about not making mistakes interpreting 'thermal' data from satellites. It is known that earthquake centres emit infra-red for several days before and a couple of days after a quake. If the quake is a large one that signal can show a rise of several degrees, way more than it is physically possible to heat millions of cubic metres of rock and also it 'cools' way quicker than infra-red caused by an actual heat source ever could.

Satellites 'see' this infra-red signal as a heat source, but it is not. It is generated by electrical forces in the rocks under stress prior to the earthquake.

Reference: Electric Earthquakes

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

I saw some of the other charts and stuff you posted. Thanks for those, Im visual. I just have a question, in terms of other bursts of activity, do you think this swarm is unusual? Or not so much? Personal opinion is fine, I know you have lots of experience and knowledge, Im just looking for what your intuition is telling you. Not something I would hold you to.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
how do i post images from my documents people?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by pwrthtbe
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

Thank you so much for that link to that search. I'm gonna dig around on this. There has to be some data somewhere that's available online to look at.

You're certainly welcome.

Here is another search that covers the same topic. Quite a few technical journals out there on this.

Stay safe everyone!

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join