It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible ET signal found by SETI?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by luchini33334
Sounds interesting but there is something very fishy if you go check out these links...
apod.nasa.gov... - 30/mar/1999
apod.nasa.gov... - 28/jul/2002
apod.nasa.gov... - 07/mar/2004
apod.nasa.gov... - 06/feb/2011

This is the "wow" signal listen to it on the NASA pages and then listen to this:

www.npr.org...

They sound really similar thats why NASA has shown the signal many times as picture of the day because its the most famous signal SETI has ever observed.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by tyranny22
The original article goes out of the way to point the finger towards a terrestrial source ... meaning Earth-based, though they couldn't identify it. Not sure why the OP decided to go the opposite direction and site the article as a possible link toward extraterrestrial origin.

That's like me saying that I just might win the lottery tomorrow. Sure 100,000,000 other people might win it as well, many with a much better chance of winning it than myself ... but I might.

In the original article it did say that the leading explanation is POSSIBLY terrestrial in origin and also that it could be ET in origin too they just do not really know or are not a 100% certain, so to me the OP was within his rights to term his thread title the way he/she did;

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I was actually let down when this image was my APOD the other day.
I'd much rather see a nebula or a spiral galaxy.

Interestingly enough, the text under the image doesn't discuss the most important part of the issue. The date it occured!
edit on 10-2-2011 by spinalremain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Is no one else finding the timing to all this a little uncanny and ironic?

We have millions if not billions of people very concerned about a possible PHYSICAL pole shift, another group trying to figure out what the Mayans, Chinese and the Egyptian ancient cultures were warning about regarding 2012 and now this?
Do you really think they're just finding this out?

Come on.
If we knew, they knew.

This is so contrived I am surprise everyone can't see through this.

And I just read a Yahoo blurb about Billy Meier.
Then we had the Vatican chime in last year embracing aliens.
And all these UFO sightings making the MSM circuit.
Again, come on! We are being played like a fiddle.

This is nothing more than a diversion. Let's all get excited about what's going on 'up there' while our planet might be getting ready to do some major rock and rolling.

The Powers that WERE know their gig is up. They don't have anymore influential power over us. This is probably what Obama meant by 'transparency' because most of us see right through them now.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

Again, come on! We are being played like a fiddle.

I know, U know, they know, But for the dumb a....s who still rely on SETI we have to point this out over and over and over again... !
edit on 21/12/2010 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by 0bserver1

I made a posting about this but if ET's were to communicate they would use harmonic codes..... And from my understanding the government can magnify these codes of up to 5000.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I looked at the GPS signals and if they are in some manner heterodyning with each other you would get either the sum or the difference. That would be 3.2 or 1 GHz. A second harmonic of the 1GHz product would be in the right ball park since 1.9 is close to 2GHz. However there are a number of things wrong with this picture. Note that the GPS signals are broadband signals whereas the SETI signal is extremely narrow. Also note that the doppler shift is in the wrong direction although they seem to have near complementary slope. In this game near is not good enough. It has to be spot on.

It is possible, there are other signals involved in this puzzle so I'm not ready to shout ET. You need simultaneous observation of the signal from other radio telescopes and repeatability. With the Allen Array, the VLA and Arecibo we may still not have sufficient sensitivity to reliably receive these signals. The Allen Array when fully built out may have a chance.

This is all based on the assumption that they still use the radio spectrum and that they send these signals out into space and not just beam them from one point to another or from satellite to ground. Point to point communication in space will likely be done with lasers or radars beyond 30GHz. We will see neither of these unless we are looking and they are simultaneously aiming the transmission at us. This could happen as a transient when the radar on a spaceship just happens to be pointed in our direction when making a turn or in orbit. A cautious species might also have radars on their satellites so that they could take evasive action to avoid space junk. We may have to do the same in the not too distant future since we seem to have a predisposition for filling space with volumes of debris. (see the images in the Wikipedia under space debris.)

Some strong arguments have been made that if an alien species wants to attract attention they would send signals in the so called "Water Hole" between the hydroxyl 1.442 GHz and hydrogen 1.666 GHz lines which is a quiet area in the electromagnetic spectrum. We try to keep this area clean of electromagnetic transmissions. If the Aliens do the same we can listen and hear nothing. Clearly we do listen outside this water hole since the suspect signal is 1.9 GHz and I suspect that most aliens will be at least a little xenophobic about broadcasting their presence in this "water hole" band. We only did it once (at least publicly) at Arecibo in 1974 to a globular star cluster 25,000 light years away. We won't have to worry about the results of that transmission for a very long time.

Our best hope at the moment is the Allen Array, when built out to the full 250 antennas, catching some transmissions not intended for us. If that happens, and it proves to be intelligent then you will see a few billion dollars pored in the direction of building a really big radio telescope arrays. It will become a world wide craze.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join