It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible ET signal found by SETI?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
According to this LINK Frank Drake ...those who don't know who he is...

Drake, who is now chairman emeritus at the SETI Institute in Mountain View, Calif

said that

When I went back this year, they gave me an hour to repeat the experiment. That turned out to be way too much time. It took eight tenths of a second—each star took four tenths of a second! And the search was better. I looked at the same two stars over a much wider frequency band with higher sensitivity and more channels, in eight tenths of a second.

So,,, it took 4 tenths of a second to listen to each star....

Imagine how much sky they can "cover" if they only needed such a short time to scan

Also I don't think they are running out of money.....

the rate of improvement hasn’t slowed down at all

oh...and I also think if they found something, we'll be the last to know...

here's a thought....

What if we are already communicating with ET's???

HAARP sends the signal and SETI recieves the reply..

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by 0bserver1

Seti is privately funded...
Try to keep up.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by defenestrator

i posted an article to 2 new recent ones here it is again shrewdraven.org...

they get these all the time the only reason theyre saying anything is becuase they need to whip up some hype in order to raise money.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Three points:

1. If it was an ET signal, would the PTB have ever allowed it to be publicized?

2. I think SETI is barking up the wrong tree. For an advanced civilization, communication in the electromagnetic spectrum would be passe. They would have graduated to far more esoteric forms of interstellar communication like QGAs (Quantum Gravity Antennas) for near instantaneous interstellar communications by VGR (Virtual Gravitational Radiation). The details of this concept are available in the LANL archives and peer reviewed.

2. The odds of a civilization almost similar to ours with the same technology within a few light years is so astronomical as to be non existent.

Considering this, I feel this spike seen on the monitors was nothing more than a glitch or interference from some ground based/satellite signal.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by OrionHunterX
Three points:

1. If it was an ET signal, would the PTB have ever allowed it to be publicized?

2. I think SETI is barking up the wrong tree. For an advanced civilization, communication in the electromagnetic spectrum would be passe. They would have graduated to far more esoteric forms of interstellar communication like QGAs (Quantum Gravity Antennas) for near instantaneous interstellar communications by VGR (Virtual Gravitational Radiation). The details of this concept are available in the LANL archives and peer reviewed.

2. The odds of a civilization almost similar to ours with the same technology within a few light years is so astronomical as to be non existent.

Considering this, I feel this spike seen on the monitors was nothing more than a glitch or interference from some ground based/satellite signal.

My guess on your number 2. (your first number 2) is they are assuming that if a civilization is able to reach us through light years of space, then they will at least understand we use radio waves and humor us with those. I don't think SETI is making the assumption that all space faring beings use electromagnetic-based waves. Just my guess.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by OrionHunterX

obviously theyre not looking for civs who use something unknown to us to communicate. But they can also detect leaked signals like radar which are not communication devices but would still tell us that its from an intelligence.

theyre not just looking a few lights years away. kepler targets are between 500 - 2000 light years away.

edit on 9-2-2011 by yeti101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101

theyre not just looking a few lights years away. kepler targets are between 500 - 2000 light years away.

So, in other words we are expecting a reply only after 1000 - 4000 years? Sheeesh! Why even bother?
Or did these intelligences set up their own SETIs thousands of years ago and propagate signals which we are receiving just now? Crazy fellas these ETs!

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

lol well SETI doesnt transmit any signals they only listen. So yes they are looking for civs who have decided to transmit a signal or have devices which leak signals like powerfull radars or space based energy transfer devices.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nightfury

So,,, it took 4 tenths of a second to listen to each star....

Imagine how much sky they can "cover" if they only needed such a short time to scan

Also I don't think they are running out of money.....

the rate of improvement hasn’t slowed down at all

Thats indeed fast reading, But if you figure the amount of stars there are it still takes a lot of time to find something?

some subscribers said that when the stars align on 21/12/2012 would be good chance you could pick up signals?
edit on 21/12/2010 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I belive there is ET signals , but they are to faint to be detected.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I once spoke in private with someone who was (at one time) a well-known researcher in the UFO community.

He told me that SETI was a bogus operation.

When millions upon millions of people (upon which a percentage are known to be bright, educated and lucid) say they have had experiences with UFO's...including pilots, military personnel..and the list goes on...

and SETI sits there, year after year after year, and says, "Sorry. There is no life beyond earth..."

Well, to put it mildly, that's a problem.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
The original article goes out of the way to point the finger towards a terrestrial source ... meaning Earth-based, though they couldn't identify it. Not sure why the OP decided to go the opposite direction and site the article as a possible link toward extraterrestrial origin.

That's like me saying that I just might win the lottery tomorrow. Sure 100,000,000 other people might win it as well, many with a much better chance of winning it than myself ... but I might.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

You still question why Seth R. is with SETI? You're totally right. The guy is a complete ***hole, and a debunker, and an uniformed thinker who is afraid of his own shadow. He's blind and ignorant.

So, why would he still be with SETI?

Because SETI isn't the real deal.

Plain and simple.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by tyranny22
The original article goes out of the way to point the finger towards a terrestrial source ... meaning Earth-based, though they couldn't identify it. Not sure why the OP decided to go the opposite direction and site the article as a possible link toward extraterrestrial origin.

NASA :There is a slight possibility that it just might originate from an extraterrestrial intelligence

Maybe this ? And you know what I didn't forgot the question marks this time

And I also think that its irritating they can't decipher what they see on that diagram , then you better not publicize it I think?
edit on 21/12/2010 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
SETI is just one big joke! Along with NASA. I think the majority of the population would at least acknowledge that alien life is out there and has most likely been to Earth, which they have. And they are here at this very moment, come on guys.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Hi

I see and know why we go both ways on SETI,,,,

very good replies here,

Be interesting if one stayed in our own backyard here watching outside our orbit with a couple of sattlelites funded for this?

And always good to keep one's ear open also,,,and eyes on the skyline,,,,,,both of these...

Im not smart at this but how long wold that voyager sattlelite last that they send into outer space years ago and keep sending its signal/transmission????
Could it malfuntion in a few decades???

And the other planetary system is some ?,,I cant remeber,,like 16 million light yeras???
Sorry on that..

Long way for a signal to make it without being distorted???

And how long would it last,,might just be a few seconds even?,,and from how far???,,might of been sent 1000's of yeras ago???

Interesting post,,,

smile

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by planetzog

Great find!

S&F

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Can anyone explain to me how the Government(oOoO) could somehow manage to silence thousands of scientists whos main goal was to search for life and clearly have an interest in finding it? It makes absolutely no sense that with over 50 years of the so called cover-up we haven't had a single credible scientist come out and admit the conspiracy.

Personally, I think the government is just as dumbfounded as we are, and they wouldn't want to show their people they don't know something so they cover it up as much as they can.

I think you guys are making the government out to be more powerful than it really is, which is playing into their hands.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Sounds interesting but there is something very fishy if you go check out these links...
apod.nasa.gov... - 30/mar/1999
apod.nasa.gov... - 28/jul/2002
apod.nasa.gov... - 07/mar/2004
apod.nasa.gov... - 06/feb/2011

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by luchini33334

Excellent Another example always finding something unexplainable in the signal and say "it might come of some intelligent race but we are not sure!!" I hope they soon put a signal back into the stars asking if they can sent a translator for all those countless messages they are stuck with.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join