It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible ET signal found by SETI?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by 0bserver1

I believe they do that crap intentionally as a "social experiment" to gauge public reaction to such "news". Basically its like:

"Hey everyone we found an alien signal!!"

wait for it....waiiiiiit for iiiiit......

"Ok damn sorry that was just "Phil's" I-phone application screwing with us!" sorry everyone!! Back to work with you nothing to see here!

meanwhile back at NASA...

"see Ted there is no such thing as boredom around here at NASA!"

a-holes...

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by mrjefffort

The SETI@HOME software has produced this same anomaly before in the past, several times, always supposedly due to user error . However, what is most interesting about this occurrence is that Setiathome.Berkley.edu site is down for maintenance at this time. Has anyone heard from anyone at Berkley?

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by factbandit

O i never heard of that happening but that is interesting. Another thing thats interesting is when they first discovered the WOW signal which marked every characteristic of an ET origin they claimed that there satelites were unable to find the original signal again and instead of homing in on the signal each antenae was aimed away from the location. When the Media asked about this they explained that the antenaes are random and they dont stay in the same position. I think thats BS if your antaneas are not going to stay in the same position when a signal is found what is the point of having them in the first place. Furthermore i believe it was a cover-up. We should be trying to figure out what the WOW signal once instead it has been brushed aside as a one time natural anomally. SETI and NASA are a n
big sham and should be done away with there just there to make money and they do nothing but sipher public funding for other Black budget OPs.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0bserver1
reply to post by 12voltz

To give the illusion that the tax payers money is still worthy for the Seti project?

Observer, you really should be more observant. The American taxpayer hasn't provided a penny of funding for SETI research for olmost 20 years, since NASA bailed on the project. SRTI is now funded by private donors like Microsoft's Paul Allen. Take a look at www.seattlepi.com... .

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by MainLineThis

However, I don't think SETI will be successful. I value SETI only as a vehicle to get others interested in this subject. If the universe is as populated as I believe, they would have found tons of verifiable signals by now. Even if only a few percent of galactic civilizations were detectable by SETI (and I'm only talking galactic, not universe) then we should have heard from tons of them by now...but we haven't. That troubles me.

That troubles me to , but what if we are being shielded from all those signals. Maybe they had tons of signals but don't tell us about it, I rather think that could be the case. Why would you stir the pod if you already have made contact and are on the bridge of learning new technologies from it ? so you keep the masses buzzy and ones a decade you say Wow!

To me, that's really not plausible. You're injecting a conspiracy into what already would be a conspiracy. They found signals, but then someone broke down the doors on SETI and said "Thou shall not report!" Nah, I'm not buying it.

If there were tons of "civilizations" around our solar system in this galaxy, SETI would have found something more concrete by now, in my opinion. What is much more likely, based off real scientific evidence and understanding, is that intelligent life is much more unique and rare then we want to accept. I'm not saying other intelligent life does not exist, it has to, but I definitely don't think there is anything along the lines of a Star-Trek esque "galactic confederation" of different intelligent species, or anything of the sort.

In my opinion, alien intelligences along the lines of what you saw in Avatar are much more likely (and common amongst intelligent life); the kind that wouldn't be emitting radio signals.
edit on 8-2-2011 by SaosinEngaged because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Don't make this mistake:

"Well, I want intelligent aliens to exist. So obviously SETI found something and the government disallowed them to release it. That has to be it."

I want aliens to exist too. I want a "galactic confederation." BUT, I don't assume there is such a thing just because I want it to be real.

You're not consciously doing this, but you must consciously prevent yourself from doing it, and it is a definite reason why people look at inkblots and see alien invasions.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaosinEngaged

Originally posted by MainLineThis

However, I don't think SETI will be successful. I value SETI only as a vehicle to get others interested in this subject. If the universe is as populated as I believe, they would have found tons of verifiable signals by now. Even if only a few percent of galactic civilizations were detectable by SETI (and I'm only talking galactic, not universe) then we should have heard from tons of them by now...but we haven't. That troubles me.

That troubles me to , but what if we are being shielded from all those signals. Maybe they had tons of signals but don't tell us about it, I rather think that could be the case. Why would you stir the pod if you already have made contact and are on the bridge of learning new technologies from it ? so you keep the masses buzzy and ones a decade you say Wow!

To me, that's really not plausible. You're injecting a conspiracy into what already would be a conspiracy. They found signals, but then someone broke down the doors on SETI and said "Thou shall not report!" Nah, I'm not buying it.

Your giving too much credit to the media. If they are not report it that doesn't mean its not happening. Imagine for a second if they were being forced to withhold information and ask yourself how would they do it then look at the real world situation and you will see that its quite plausible

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by mrjefffort

What did anything I said have to do with the media?

And I already addressed your conspiracy fueled ideas in my previous post. Re-read it if you did not comprehend what I said.

Imagine for a second that someone is holding a gun to your head, forcing you to type what you said, unbeknownst to me. Imagine Obama is really an alien in a human "skin." Imagine imagine imagine. It doesn't mean anything. We can't just keep saying, "well what if THIS is happening?" because it is akin to talking out of your butt.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
NASA trying to say this is most likely a GPS transmission? These are the so-called smartest people on earth and this is the best story they can spout to the masses?....

1. SETI searches only on the 1420 Mhz band:

Data for the SETI@home project are collected by an instrument at Arecibo called SERENDIP IV, which was installed in September 1998. A dedicated receiver tuned to a frequency near 1420 MHz collects signals from the sky 24 hours a day, seven days a week (except during periods of maintenance and testing). The data are recorded on tape and also fed to the 160 million channel SERENDIP spectrum analyser. Every 1.7 seconds SERENDIP checks the latest data and looks for very narrow bandwidth signals of the sort expected from extraterrestrial radio transmitters. Candidates are logged and stored for follow-up analysis and/or confirmation.

2. This is known as the 21cm Hydrogen line:

When the switch takes place – which for a single hydrogen atom is a very rare occurrence, but given all the countless neutral hydrogen atoms in the Galaxy the laws of probability suggest that it’s a surefire bet that there are plenty undergoing the switch at any one time – the electron moves to a lower energy state and a radio photon is emitted, with a frequency of 1,420MHz.

3. GPS transmits on 2 frequencies, 1575.42 Mhz and 1227.6 Mhz:

Each GPS satellite transmits data on two frequencies, L1 (1575.42 Mhz) and L2 (1227.60 MHz). The atomic clocks aboard the satellite produces the fundamental L-band frequency, 10.23 Mhz. The L1 and L2 carrier frequencies are generated by multiplying the fundamental frequency by 154 and 120, respectively.

And finally, and most importantly:

4. Earth satellites and terrestrial transmission equipment are forbidden from transmitting at 1420 Mhz:

The frequency band around 1420 MHz (a few MHz on either side) was declared off limits for satellite transmission or earth-based broadcasting over the entire world.

So if SETI, who only search 1420 Mhz, found a signal, then it was at this frequency, not that of GPS or any terrestrial/orbital transmitting equipment...

Strange that NASA don't mention any of this in their wording? Maybe they just forgot to mention it?

That's not to say it's an alien civilization though, no proof of that in the signal. (unfortunately)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Morgil

Are you insinuating you're smarter than the people at SETI?

Can you offer a better explanation, backed with evidence of course, as to what these signals are and why?

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
They're treating this as serious as the "Spooky Halloween Space Noises" page

They like to taunt with the ET thing, and make it a joke.. because how could they be hiding something if they're all laughing about it?

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
To me you just seem scared of the notion that there are aliens out there more intelligent than you would be comfortable with, Its cool that youd be more comfortable if they all paraded around primitively like they do in the Avatar but that simply isnt the case. You can believe anything you want to believe and you dont have to be smarter than the guys at SETI to figure this out.

Moving on now, more research and exposure should have been given to the WOW signal, why it hasnt is a conspiracy in its own right

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Preface - my judgement is always biased on the issue of ET's, because I think disclosure will happen eventually, and I just can't wait. In other words, are we alone in the universe - no (my opinion).

I also think that the government believes that this information needs to be given to us in small doses, to judge our reaction.

Feel free to tell me I'm full of crap - I'm married so I'm used to it.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

reply to post by Morgil

Can you offer a better explanation, backed with evidence of course, as to what these signals are and why?

Point out where I said I was smarter? I did not say that. On the other hand, i am not stupid either and do not swallow any explanation put in front of me without researching it, which is what I have done and come up with the information I posted above.

I do not claim to know what they are, but the information I cited seems to indicate it could not have been anything originating here, if it was indeed detected by SETI at 1420 Mhz.

It is possible it was some sort of brief natural celestial phenomena that happens to emit radio waves at that particular frequency e.g. involving hydrogen gases. So in that respect it could be any number of celestial phenomena, either known or as yet undiscovered.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Morgil

reply to post by Morgil

Point out where I said I was smarter? I did not say that. On the other hand, i am not stupid either and do not swallow any explanation put in front of me without researching it, which is what I have done and come up with the information I posted above.

I do not claim to know what they are, but the information I cited seems to indicate it could not have been anything originating here, if it was indeed detected by SETI at 1420 Mhz.

It is possible it was some sort of brief natural celestial phenomena that happens to emit radio waves at that particular frequency e.g. involving hydrogen gases. So in that respect it could be any number of celestial phenomena, either known or as yet undiscovered.

You dont have to sugarcoat it down for people who already made up there mind on the matter some people it would disturb there view on life and they cant allow that so they will say anything to make themselves feel comfortable but its hard to turn back once youve stepped through the door and seen the truth, and the truth is we are being visited there is intelligent life all around us we have been contacted now and in the past and will be in the future. You can either wait for SETI to give you this knowledge or you can figure it by yourself its hard to wake from the matrix when your plugged in.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
According to you until SETI admits there are intelligent life out there and they recieved signals they dont exist. Wow

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SaosinEngaged

Okay but how about that holographic theory that keeps popping up that we are some kind of projection of a black hole and that are lives are more holographic as we think we are, you could say we are living in a holographic bubble ? No wonder that any radio signal will ever arrive and the ones that did arrive are reflections that bounced of the rim of the holographic bubble we live in? could that be imaginable ? just an idea?

edit on 21/12/2010 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
By the way sorry if I respond that late I had to go to a appointment

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

reply to post by SaosinEngaged

Okay but how about that holographic theory that keeps popping up that we are some kind of projection of a black hole and that are lives are more holographic as we think we are, you could say we are living in a holographic bubble ? No wonder that any radio signal will ever arrive and the ones that did arrive are reflections that bounced of the rim of the holographic bubble we live in? could that be imaginable ? just an idea?

I

I heard of that theory but even if that were true i believe that there are still Laws of Physics that should be respected. Wether we are living in a Hologram or not the laws of Physics still remain, unless of course you can ascend yourself and enter a higher dimension where you will be among a different set of laws. But thats going off topic lol. Naww, I believe its much more plausible that information is being suppressed to the Masses, It would be counter-productive to have our Govts saying There are no Intelligent life out there and have SETI saying the opposite

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrjefffort
According to you until SETI admits there are intelligent life out there and they recieved signals they dont exist. Wow

Are you referring to me? If so, you should know I believe whole-heartedly in extra-terrestrial life. Further to that, I was pointing out that the explanation of GPS satellites was unfounded imho, as per my longer post above. Refusal to see both sides of a situation, however, both believer's and sceptic's, leads to skewed information on both sides of the fence, that is why I mentioned the possibility of natural phenomena.

If you are not referring to me then disregard.

(although i secretly hope it is an alien transmission saying they're arriving tomorrow lol)

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join