It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"I have gay friends, but..." Umm... No, you don't...

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by Toy_soldier

Who the hell bases friendships on sexual preference anyway?? What my friends do to get their rocks off is nobodies business but their own.

Its not a preference. Its their orientation. Their birth right.

I don't know how anyone can call themself a friend - - if they continue to believe it is a choice.

Saying someone "prefers" to be with a member of the same sex isn't saying they CHOOSE to be gay. It isn't saying they're born gay either. It isn't suggesting anything either way.

It is absolutely a preference, regardless of whether they were born with it or chose it. And no, I do not think it's a choice.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by arbitrarygeneraiist
reply to post by Toy_soldier

Person: "I was naturally born without function in my legs, so now I'm confined to a wheelchair."

You: "I disagree and I hate your lifestyle as a paraplegic. But I'm your good friend, okay?"

edit on 24-12-2010 by arbitrarygeneraiist because: (no reason given)

... What the hell are you talking about? This has nothing to do with what I posted in any way, shape or form.

How does someone DISAGREE with a person being a paraplegic? A medical condition and homosexuality are 2 completely different things. Unless you're suggesting being gay is an illness?

All I was saying is that it is possible to be friends with someone even if you disagree with a certain aspect of their life.

The same way people from 2 different religions can still be friends. Or someone who thinks pepsi is better can be friends with someone who thinks coke is better.

Are you suggesting that you agree with absolutely everything that your friends do in their lives?

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by RelentlessLurker
reply to post by SPACEYstranger

since you seem to be trumpeting the law too, i ask you how well that argument would hold up in one of these 85 or so countries.

one of which is a territory of the US

Countries where homosexuality illegal

so it looks like if you were to live in one of these places (some of which is death penalty) you would be viewed the same as a pedo.

edit on 24-12-2010 by RelentlessLurker because: (no reason given)

good thing im from canada, where we have come to the realization that gay marriage is nothing to be concerned about, and were all better off throwing them a bone, and allowing them to be equal and happy just like the rest of us.

Also a place where we dont equate pedophelia and bestiality with Homosexual marriage.... because thats just the dumbest, most inconsiderate argument anyone could make against a perfectly harmless institution undergoing perfectly harmless changes

I cant even believe this is an issue. I have yet to hear a sound argument against homosexual marriage that doesnt involve some jerks biggoted opinions based on their feelings. Nobody cares that you dont think homosexuality is OK.

This issue should be looked at from the perspective of COMMON SENSE, something which some of you americans seem to be lacking completely. Its nice that your trying to sound intelligent, but to me you sound like nothing more then a jerk who likes to impede progress based on trivial ideas that really have nothing to do with the crux of the issue

Not that this is directed at you.... but to anyone who is still fighting for ABSOLUTELY NOTHING BUT THE UNHAPPINESS OF PEOPLE WHO ARENT LIKE YOU

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeashrink
reply to post by Sinnthia

No, just women. I think if you read the post I said that had some confusion as a kid due to sexual abuse. So, stick to the facts.
Seeashrink

In that case your experience is irrelevant. I thought you were saying that since you have a personal experience that qualifies you to say you understand how a gay person's sexual preference is a choice, but as it turns out your experience is completely irrelevant to how a gay person may or may not feel. Is that a fact?

-rrr

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by gps777

Though I will say this,if JR now calls me a Skippy I`m going to be confused if he meant it as I`m an Aussie or I`m an idiot or now could just be I`m an Aussie idiot.Either way I wont be offended.

Well the real Skippy doesn't seem too confused about it. She after all is our own crime fighting marsupial and international superstar, who is watched and loved by millions around the world. So I'm quite okay with being called Skippy.

Merry Christmas everyone from all of us Skippys!!!

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by neonitus
i've got some opinions against homosexuality, and against some the the rights they want. should that mean i cant be friends with them?

It only means you may be misunderstanding of your relationships with any gay friends you have, especially if you make it clear you don;t think gay people should have equal rights. Just because you feel friendship towards someone, and they're civil and tolerant towards you doesn't mean you're friends.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas

What I hate about the gay movement is that they are pushing my nose on their life style.
I really can't appreciate a parade with naked or semi naked gay people that dance around vulgarly and express their sexuality with the intend to confromt, show of or even shock.
I must add that I feel the same if the same event happenes with straight people.

So you feel the same about Mardi Gras. Fair enough.

Of course - - only a handful of straights participate nude or extreme in Mardi Gras - - as only a handful of gays go for shock value.

The majority of gays are like the majority of straights.

The media only focuses on shock value. They do not show families and the every mundane people and supporters that are the major part of a gay parade.

My theory on extreme - - is gays had to create a subculture and live on the fringes of society - - because they had not other choice.

As they become more mainstream - - they have become more mainstream - - wanting the same things - - such as family - - that the main stream society had previously denied them.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Who the hell bases friendships on sexual preference anyway?? What my friends do to get their rocks off is nobodies business but their own.

Its not a preference. Its their orientation. Their birth right.

I don't know how anyone can call themself a friend - - if they continue to believe it is a choice.

Saying someone "prefers" to be with a member of the same sex isn't saying they CHOOSE to be gay. It isn't saying they're born gay either. It isn't suggesting anything either way.

It is absolutely a preference, regardless of whether they were born with it or chose it. And no, I do not think it's a choice.

Preference refers to being gay is a choice.

Orientation refers to being born gay.

Orientation is the preferred term of the LGBT.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Plus, if gays werent opressed to begin with then their would be no need for "gay pride parades".

They are just trying to be recognized. Just like any social group in this country.

Im pretty sure, when black people were opressed, they had things like "the million man march"

maybe nobody was naked, but im sure they also took an effort to portray the extreams of black society.

There will always be exremists. even overly sexualized heterosexual adults.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by Annee

That's fake friendship. A real friendship is about accountability and correcting each other. Debate and argument, and still knowing each other to be equal human beings. If it was about acceptance, then a marine would accept his friend's going to die from that grenade and die, then the sheep is a friend of the wolf, accepting it can't do crap to change the fact he's prey.

If you don't even know what real friendship is, how could you know what more complex things mean?

Friendship is built on a lot of things. Accepting someone for who they are is one of them.

Nice "twist and shout" - - reach - - trying to make it mean something else.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I could never really figure out why someone's sexual preference was so important to everybody else. It strikes me as being tantamount some perverse voyeuristic superiority complex. The Christians, or plain bigoted racists, are looking for someone to condemn and then save. So now that being greedy, lustful, angry, prideful, or a glutton doesn't affect the populace they seek something else to belittle and ridicule their fellow man with: homosexuality. I wish that instead of trying to dig a void between ourselves as a species we could all just try and fill the gap between our cultural world views.

Look, a homosexual man/woman is no different than a heterosexual man/woman. Just because one finds the same sex attractive does not mean they are somehow an unrelenting sexual beast who would try and screw any same-sex person they happen to encounter. Liking the same-sex works exactly the same as liking the opposite-sex: you are attracted to features (facial structure, eye color, hair, muscular build, etc) about the person, you are not just attracted to a gender.

Being homosexual doesn't make you any stupider, more bestial, or less worthy of whatever form of salvation you seek: whether by the cross, or Nirvana, or anything else. People cause their own damnation via their decisions in life. Homosexuality is not a choice. You are born with your attractions. So any God who would condemn you for the way in which He made you, does not deserve your praise and worship. Who you sleep with has no impact on your worldly ability. Great conquerors, like Alexander, who paved the way for modern society were gay. Your greatness is not determined by who you are attracted to.

But... sadly... I don't imagine those who have not ears to hear will listen to anything posted in defense of homosexual equal-rights and treatment. Their minds were made up long, long ago. And to change now would be tantamount to abandoning their faith. We can only hope that those who are "on the fence" are more open-minded than those who have fallen off on one side or the other.

Their human beings, just like you and I.
They deserve the same rights we are privileged.
If you want to take their rights away, start by taking them from yourself first.

Good post, OP. S&F

~ Scribe

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Attention red blooded meat eating straight men: Every #ing day of your lives is your pride parade.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Everyone here that thinks being gay is a choice, you are dumb. Feel free to reply and I will gladly show you the error of your ways.

My best friend is gay, I have discussed this with him at lengths. I've even gotten some of the spill over oppression because it was assumed that I was gay because I was a male hanging out with a gay male.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Hmm....all I can really say is DON'T DROP THE SOAP IN THIS THREAD. Sorry....be gay if u want, be straight if you want. I prefer laqueesha my nubian goddess blow up doll from adam and eve. 20.95 and she never quits smiling. She never complains and has only cheated on me once and that was when my german sheppard got ahold of her. I gave her a good hot bath with me and she's always ready to keep going. OH AND NEVER HAVE TO PAY CHILD SUPPORT....

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Your unnecessary nitpicking is detracting from the original topic.

I still got my point across just as much as I would have had I said "orientation".

If you were just pointing out a technicality then. Thanks. Back to the topic at hand?

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by arbitrarygeneraiist

Im married to a woman and have 2 daughters, you know like most men end up doing. getting married and having children.

Not poo pushing and then pushing for same sex marriage rights. I say send them all to Qatar and lets see how long they are gay for.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Redevilfan09

I say let's send you over there, you are not only a bigot, but a dreadfully dull one.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

God made each of us what we are so that we could learn the associated lessons. And, for those of you "chrisitians" who think any sort of choice is involved, just let me say, "go ahead and rant on but don't be too surprised if you are gay in your next lifetime."

.....pay back time.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by trailertrash
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

God made each of us what we are so that we could learn the associated lessons. And, for those of you "chrisitians" who think any sort of choice is involved, just let me say, "go ahead and rant on but don't be too surprised if you are gay in your next lifetime."

.....pay back time.

This would make sense if any Christians believed in re-incarnation. And no, God didn't make each of us so we could learn the "associated lessons". Now you are babbling without knowing what you are babbling about. I'm not an expert on Christianity, but I know what the Bible says, and it clearly says God made you and I in his image. It also clearly says God gave us the ability to choose between right and wrong. And it also condemns homosexuality. Oh, and it says something about interpreting the Bible to fit you, and your personal beliefs. Straight people who disagree with homosexuality are bigots. So what are homosexuals who belittle Christians? Seems to be a quite circular argument to me.
edit on 12/24/2010 by mademyself1984 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Your unnecessary nitpicking is detracting from the original topic.

I still got my point across just as much as I would have had I said "orientation".

If you were just pointing out a technicality then. Thanks. Back to the topic at hand?

Ohhhhhhhhhh! I feel Spanked!

Is this your thread? NO! It isn't!

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join