It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"I have gay friends, but..." Umm... No, you don't...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+135 more 
posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
This just kills me. In EVERY gay themed thread, those opposed to homosexuals and/or homosexuality inevitably say something like, "I have gay friends, but...", followed by how they disagree with the gay rights movement or homosexuality in general. Well, I got news for you Skippy, if you were really a friend, you would not want that person to have fewer rights than you do, and/or have that person feel like a social outcast, and/or have anything but happiness in their lives and to be able to share that life with the person of their choice.

So the next time you feel the urge to tell us how you have gay friends right in the middle of telling us how homosexuality is wrong, unnatural or unworthy of equal rights, just remember that you are NOT the kind of friend anyone would want to have at best, and just a plain lying hypocrite at worst...

(An aquaintance is NOT the same as a friend...)

+51 more 
posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Can we also add having
"Black friends"
and
"Muslim friends"

to your post?

+34 more 
posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
i've got some opinions against homosexuality, and against some the the rights they want. should that mean i cant be friends with them?

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Hi Jaxon,

I do not say "I have gay friends but...".

I say "I have gay friends and...".

They are some of the most entertaining people I have ever met.

They are some of the most loyal people I have ever met.

They are some of the most caring people I have ever met - caring about people, animals and the planet.

They are some of the most honest people I have ever met.

+25 more 
link   
reply to post by neonitus

Not that I am gay but if you have any opinions against the way I was born in any way shape or form and you call yourself my friend, you are a liar.

link   

Originally posted by davespanners

Can we also add having
"Black friends"
and
"Muslim friends"

to your post?

How about add Israeli's, Jews or Military personnel! wile we are on it!

+51 more 
posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone

Hi Jaxon,

I do not say "I have gay friends but...".

I say "I have gay friends and...".

They are some of the most entertaining people I have ever met.

They are some of the most loyal people I have ever met.

They are some of the most caring people I have ever met - caring about people, animals and the planet.

They are some of the most honest people I have ever met.

I think you might find that gay people are just as capable of being as boring, disloyal, uncaring and dishonest as anyone else.

It's not all show tunes and soft fabrics

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
What they mean by gay friends is simple

They met one once, they even shoot hands with it and didn't demand they change their life.

I mean..what more do you need out of friends?! once you shake a hand with a gay person, that means you have gay friends.

Incidently, by their criteria, I have friends whom are international rock stars (shook hands with iron maiden at a private party once)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Exact same principle... Basically, it's a feeble attempt to not come off as a prejudiced piece of crap. Nothing more, and nothing less...

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Sure, gays can be all the things other people are, obviously, but I have found those uplifting qualities in my gay friends more than I have in my straight friends.

Merry Christmas!

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by phatpackage

Originally posted by davespanners

Can we also add having
"Black friends"
and
"Muslim friends"

to your post?

How about add Israeli's, Jews or Military personnel! wile we are on it!

No
or at least, not to military personnel.
A person can simply stop being in the military, or be in it..the rest..not so much.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Now thats being discriminatory with all the military bashing and all on ATS! people do the exact same thing to them as mentioned in the original post!

+30 more 
posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Well, what the hell, I'll entertain your rant.
I have had a gay friend or two (not now), but I do have some gay aquaintences.
You didn't ask my opinion, but by the nature of ATS, I'll give it anyway. Now, first let me say I have some knowledge of which I speak. I was sexually abused as a child and therefore had some confusion on my sexuallity while growing up.
I believe that is not natural, but a chosen life style for whatever reason. Men were designed and equipped to be with women and women so designed to be with men. There is nothing about you or me that is designed to be with our same sex. Yes, everyone can give everyone else sexual pleasure, but that also includes a dog with a willing tongue. Not trying to be ugly here just trying to make a point.
Regardless if one holds Christian beliefs, evolution, Muslim, Buddist, or whatever, it simply is not natural, nor was it meant to be, therefore it is a choice.
While I'm here, I might as well give my opinion on the repeal of "don;t ask, don't tell". Should gays be allowed in the military? Sure, why not? They're in every other facet of society. Should they be allowed to shower and share a barracks with non gay members? Absolutely not. No more than a straight female wants to shower with straight males does a straight male want a gay male in the shower with him nor in the bunk beside him. I don't know, but I would think that a straight female would feel the same way.
As you are tired of people responding to threads regarding gays as they do, I'm tired of people pussyfooting around about the issue and pretending that gays are as natural as the sun rising in the morning. It's not, it's unnatural and it is an individual choice each one makes. Period.
Now I'm going to put on my flame retardent suit over my body armour and wait for replies.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
Well, I got news for you Skippy, if you were really a friend, you would not want that person to have fewer rights than you do,

(An aquaintance is NOT the same as a friend...)

Firstly as an Australian and one who knows Skippy can be a nickname for an Aussie by other specimens of the human race would just like to say a couple of things, one being I know you weren`t directing this at just Aussies and two if I have a friend I`ll say what ever I feel necessary and visa versa(I dont see this as just about a gay thing),I think that can also be a sign of being a good friend.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Interesting topic!

I feel that I can comment on this thread with some authority since I was once one of those people who said that I had gay friends but that I didn't agree with many of what I always sais were lifestyle choices.

I had a very good friend who I always said was one of my 'best' friends - JJ was his name. One time JJ asked me to attend an event with him and I said no since I was more concerned with what other people might think than with doing the right thing (what I really wanted to do). A couple of months after that I heard that JJ died. A friend - dead - forever. I felt horrible for what I had done and I vowed at that time to live up to my 'friendships' and be a true friend.

So, in short, people who truly do have 'gay' friends but do not completely and fully support their rights and needs are not really friends at all.

Think about it!

Aidan

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by seeashrink

So...

You are equally excited by men and women but choose to mate with the opposite sex only?
Is that what I just read?

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by seeashrink

Um, I don't remember anywhere in the OP where I asked about your opinions concerning homosexuals or homosexuality, but you do make a great example of the type of person I was talking about in the OP!
Now the question is are you just a really crappy friend or a hypocrite?

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I completely agree with the OP.

Further I would not befriend someone who was against me having the same rights as they did. Especially since gays pay taxes like straights do!

If you think being gay is wrong, against your religion, going to hell, something wrong with them, they cannot get married, if you harbor any of those beliefs then NO you are NOT friends with any gay people.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by gps777

Until this moment, I had no idea that Skippy was an Aussie thang... And I still say that you cannot be someones REAL friend and hate what they are at the core... It's not possible...

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
To all you people who say it is trying to look pc etc. and is just a pretence:

Firstly, I have many gay friends.

Secondly, I don't care what I look like to people I do not know.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join