It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gang of Lithuanian squatters 'snatch ANOTHER home while owner is out

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

This ain't florida - this is a UK story, so any point you make is worthless.

Doesn't anyone read the damn OP anymore?

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

I see that it is UK, that was the point of me inserting the phrase, "in Florida."

The US laws are largely based off UK laws. I bet if you look into Real Estate law in the UK, you will see that the squatter or homestead laws require some sort of hostility. Look it up and tell me if I am wrong.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

Oh good greif - read the thread, I'm not answering the same points over and over just because people are too bloody lazy to read.

And no, you're wrong - if there is any sign of forced entry, squatters rights do not apply.

FROM YOUR OWN SOURCE

However, if there is evidence of forced entry, then this is regarded as criminal damage, and the police have the powers to remove the occupants. If the squatter legally occupies the house, then the owner must prove in court that they have a right to live in the property and that the squatter does not, while the squatter has the opportunity to claim there is not sufficient proof or that the proper legal steps have not been taken. In order to occupy a house legally, a squatter must have exclusive access to that property, that is, be able to open and lock an entrance. The property should be secure in the same way as a normal residence, with no broken windows or locks.

wiki

You're wrong, you've been proved wrong, you have no argument.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Squatting consists of occupying an abandoned or unoccupied space or building, usually residential,[1] that the squatter does not own, rent or otherwise have permission to use. According to author Robert Neuwirth, there are one billion squatters globally, that is, about one in every six people on the planet.[2] Yet, according to Kesia Reeve, "squatting is largely absent from policy and academic debate and is rarely conceptualized, as a problem, as a symptom, or as a social or housing movement."[3]

The OP says the squatters had "moved in" and changed the locks. There is no evidence of breaking and entering, and to all outward appearances they occupy it legally. Per your own quote from the article, this means it is up to the owner to go to court and prove they actually have the legal rights. The police are not going to remove what appears to be a legal occupant.

The big mistake was calling the police, instead of busting in and cleaning house!

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Previously posted, and there was nothing to do with squatting in this case, as has already been posted and proven several times.

Please read the thread before attempting to argue a point that has already been addressed.

Just because it says "squatters" in the headline from a newspaper which is basically a racist rag, it doesn't mean that's what actually happened.

Again - read the thread.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

"Squatters" is mentioned in the original article almost a dozen times. "Breaking and Entering" is not mentioned anywhere. They "move" in. They pay rent to somebody. They change the locks, and then they defend their domicile physically and legally. The police refuse to act, because the tenants have legal rights.

I have read the OP and the thread. Have you? Everything you are posting is your opinion. How can you be so condescending, and so wrong at the same time?

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

No, your wrong...

I never mentioned anything about forced entry...

This story has been on the regional news today and also in the newspaper, there has been no mentioned of this being a scam by some fake mortgage company, as others have already pointed out; I'm pretty sure the Lithuanian family would have found it a little strange to say the least that the poor blokes stuff had been thrown out the house...

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

But they entered in good faith.

The 'squatters' would believe they had a legal right to stay there.
In this instance the Police would be reluctant to evict them straight away, especially if they had no alternative accomodation.
I suspect you are more than aware how our PC dominated Police would react.

And if it was your house exactly what would you do?

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

Read back

IT'S IN THE ORIGINAL NEWS STORY, THERE ARE STATEMENTS BY THE POLICE, AND I HAVE ALREADY POSTED THEM.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by robbinsj
I would simply go to my local walmart or Dicks sporting goods and get a rifle as they will give it to you same day.
I would break the back window, enter and kill all.
When the cops show up I would hand the cops my licence and advise them that they broke in and I defended myself.
Case closed.

And you would be a stupid murderer, running the risk of getting the electric chair if the cops have half a brain and figure out what happened.

Police don't just accept your word that it's a legal, justified killing. Once you kill, they investigate, and detectives often do know what to look for.

In this case, as the intruders were themselves victims of a scam, in which a shyster pretended to have the authority to rent the house and took money off them for the rent, the intruders were blameless.

Would you really want to kill a family, kids and all, when they were just trying to rent a house? If so, I'm sure the army can find a place for you ...

Takes me back to the old days, hearing my dad tell of shysters selling shares in Sydney Harbour Bridge to American WW2 soldiers visiting here. There will always be cheap crooks out to gyp a greenhorn.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1

This beggars belief! I am gob smacked that you could leave your house to walk your dog then someone can break in, change your locks and steal your home! Then the gutless PC government will put this person through a court case to get his home back because of thse scumbags human rights! They should be turfed out immediatly, arrested for breaking and entering at the minimum. Serve their sentence then deport them or just deport them immediatly.

I do not want this scum in my country.. And for all yku hand wringers out there... Remember it could be your home next..

Pffft

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

I'd have kicked the door down and shot the #ers....

Jaden

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

That was an ignorant comment from an ignorant person... So your condeming someone for protecting their HOME with violence? wow , you are dilusional... How about you unchain your self from that giant redwood and come back into society.

I would kill every last one of them, then plant guns on them.. Fill a few pillow cases with my valuables and place them near the bodies!

I am willing to die for my family... so I sure as hell would kill for them!

link   
reply to post by Freeborn

They may have entered in good faith, but they were moved out very quickly, once the council got involved after the weekend.

The police (as the article stated) quickly became aware that there was a scam going on, and have exonerated the families.

I would wait for the police and the council - I have no great desire to go to prison because of rash actions.

In these situations, violence against innocent parties is never the answer and leads only to more problems.

link   
reply to post by budski

'When I said to them "Why are you here, this is my house", they got in my face shouting at me that they had rented it and they had rights.'

Well they would say that wouldn't they...

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Mobius1974

The fact that you haven't read the article, or it appears, much of the thread and have the attitude that you would kill innocent people who have been ripped off leads me to believe that it is you that is suffering from a surfeit of ignorance.

Try reading the thread - these were not "squatters" they were people who acted in good faith and got caught up in a scam.

It appears John Wayne has been reincarnated

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron
reply to post by budski

'When I said to them "Why are you here, this is my house", they got in my face shouting at me that they had rented it and they had rights.'

Well they would say that wouldn't they...

My post from page 2, which it appears you can't be bothered to read:
It's in the article in the OP - buried near the bottom, as is usual with the daily fail and their anti-immigration scaremongering agenda.

It appears that they rented the properties in good faith, with one family paying £3k for 6 months rent in advance.

So, basically, this "estate agent" seems to be going round looking for empty properties, scouts them for a few days, then breaks in and changes the locks and rents them out to immigrant families, gives them some kind of "contract" or tenancy agreement, and then leaves them to it.

The owners come back, and the new "tenants" presumably having been primed by the "estate agent" start banging on about their rights - and the horrible part is that they DO have rights because the "estate agent" set it up that way.

So then it becomes a civil matter, and has to go through the courts.

The police need to track down the people who are breaking into the properties and renting them out - of course it may very well be that the new "tenants" are in on the scam, but it appears that they have all paid rent to the "estate agent"

In other words, the people in the houses are not squatters in the eyes of the law, and hard as it is to stomach, they DO have rights once they have a contract or tenancy agreement, even if it is not worth the paper it is written on.

It's a pretty simple matter to get a court order - the problem is enforcing it, because that means baillifs and police, and that means more money has to be paid out.

It's a pretty well thought out scam, but the people pulling it need to be found and banged up - see if they can get a tenancy agreement on a prison cell...

From the article:
They fear bogus estate agents are watching their homes and waiting for them to go away before moving in illegal tenants.

Mrs Belalij says the squatters claimed they were paying £600-a-month to live there.

Mr Pope immediately called the council and police but he was told the new occupants could not be evicted because they were themselves the victims of a scam.

The pensioner said police told him the residents had paid £3,000 to a bogus estate agent to rent the property themselves for six months.

He said: 'The houses all around the area are being taken over by squatters. It is some sort of scam through some sort of estate agent. It's frightening.'

A Met Police spokeswoman said: 'Police are investigating a civil dispute where there may have been fraudulent sub-letting of the premises.

'Anyone with information concerning the person who has fraudulently advertised this property for rent and subsequently changed the locks should contact Barking and Dagenham Police.'

so again you are wrong, wrong, wrong.

edit on 23/9/2010 by budski because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Do you know whats really funny?

You seem to be applying your own personal take on the story because of your own personal feelings towards members of other minorities.

Just because your in defence of foreigners coming into this country doesn't mean the accused mentioned in the article are not guilty, as mentioned previously this story has been in newspapers and the news, so far no evidence has been provided that suggest these lithuanians are innocent so there you go ...

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
so does this mean all those houses that are being built but have no tenant’s are now free game.

I think I'll put my belongings on a stick and see if there's a better house down the road

this all seems a little ridiculous to me

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

I understand and agree that it isn't the 'squatters' fault and that they have been ripped off and I have a certain amount of sympathy for them, but not as much as I'd have for me and my family!

But what if you and your family had nowhere else to stay and no money to pay for alternative accomodation?

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

I probably would break into someone's house, change the lock's, wear their clothes and live their life

and what would you do to stop my... nothing

seriously though... probably contact friends or family first and try and get back on my feet
last resort, the gutter

edit on 23-9-2010 by GummB because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join