It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gang of Lithuanian squatters 'snatch ANOTHER home while owner is out

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Gang of Lithuanian squatters 'snatch ANOTHER home while owner is out

www.dailymail.co.uk

A gang of Lithuanian squatters are moving into people's homes and changing the locks while they are out George Pope, 72, took his dogs for a walk and returned to find a family had moved in and changed the locks And now it has emerged Angie Belalij 37, also lost control of her home when illegal tenants allegedly moved in after she left to allow renovation work to go ahead Police and the council say they are powerless to act unless they have a court order requiring the squatters to be evicted The e
(visit the link for the full news article)

+17 more 
posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
This beggars belief! I am gob smacked that you could leave your house to walk your dog then someone can break in, change your locks and steal your home! Then the gutless PC government will put this person through a court case to get his home back because of thse scumbags human rights! They should be turfed out immediatly, arrested for breaking and entering at the minimum. Serve their sentence then deport them or just deport them immediatly.

I do not want this scum in my country.. And for all yku hand wringers out there... Remember it could be your home next..

Pffft

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

The article doesn't specify whether Angie is a council tenant, as in the pensioner case.
It seems plausible that a gang would find council properties more vulnerable, because taking action to get the house back would be delayed by regulations and bureaucratic processes.

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Leftwing/Liberal Governments dont really believe in private property so they wont protect people who rent or own Houses.

+25 more 
posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
The quickest solution to this would probably be to kick the door in, throw them out and then deal with any problems that arise afterwards.

+21 more 
posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
First thing these folks should do is call all their utility companies and have everything immediately shut off. See how long they can stand living in the homes without heat, AC, water, and electricity.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

Council property or not, they have committed the crime of breaking and entering into a property that they do not own or lease, the police should arrest them on that basis alone.. I hope that as austerity measures by the government start to take effect, that this does not become a regular thing. It could happen to anyone whilst out shopping or at work..
Car jacking/theft is a crime, surely this is a lot worse! Either way, the law needs changing ASAP, but have protections in place for tenants so landlords dont take advantage.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
If this happened to me these folks would wake up to the sounds of me laughing, at about 3am, and when they looked out the window they'd see me surrounded by a few empty gas cans and holding a book of matches.

Hopefully they'd get the hint before I got bored of laughing.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

The utility companies in the UK need a court order for that too! It does not matter if the bills are not payed, the only utility you could get cut off is your phone..

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I was going to say...."this is where having dogs comes in handy" but the guy in the articlewas walking his dogs at the time.

I wouldn't even like to think about what I'd do to someeone who thought that they could get away with this, with my house. (not council, and all paid for) I would do some serious time for it.

But, how long was this guy walking his dogs for!! A family moved in a changed the locks, did he take them on a weekend break!!

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   

I agree on the moral issue.
I was just considering the practical aspects of the affair.
At least a house-owner would be able to take the necessary actions to protect his own rights instead of hanging around waiting for a council to make up their minds.

I was also pondering whether this gang was deliberately targeting council properties because of the possible vulnerability that I mentioned.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

If this happened to me these folks would wake up to the sounds of me laughing, at about 3am, and when they looked out the window they'd see me surrounded by a few empty gas cans and holding a book of matches.

Hopefully they'd get the hint before I got bored of laughing.

Im with you, if it happened to me the police would not even be called. Me and mine would have the lot out on theirs asses in two minuets flat!

But if you are an old guy with no family what are you going to do? The law needs to change now!

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I wonder how much research they do on the house beforehand. They must be very careful when making a choice.

I don't know anyone who wouldn't try their own methods of getting them to leave. These victims don’t look like the kind of people who would break in at 3am with a hammer and a sawn-off.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

As far as im aware, when you sign the lease then the whole house is in your name thus are covered by the same rights as a house owner, however sub clauses in the contract such as sub letting etc will render the contract null and void thus you can be evicted via a court order.. These people have no contract so have no rights, also they have committed an offense thus should be arrested and prosecuted.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
It's a pretty terrible reflection on the state of British community spirit too. The fact that this poor old man went to hospital and not one of his neighbours even bothered to confront people that were levering his doors open and moving in, or bothered to stop them when they left by the back door with his washing machine.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   

I assure you if this happened to me then I would get my house back very quickly and look forward to my day in court!

An Englishman's home is his castle???
Only if you have the balls to stand up for yourself....but what chance has a 72year old pensioner got of doing that?

Another example of elected officials selling us out.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Gotta love the Daily Mail - it's actually a scam being run by a dodgy estate agent, but what do they put as the headline?Gang of Lithuanian squatters snatch ANOTHER home while owner is out

They do so love to rile people up against immigrants don't they?

I feel sorry for both sides here - they are being ripped off on one side, and people are losing their homes on the other, and the real culprit is so far getting away with it.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   

but what chance has a 72year old pensioner got of doing that?
reply to post by Freeborn

I know!

If this guy was my tenant he would get his home back sharpish, and i also would look forward to my day in court!

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Nah it’s just a reflection of who these victims are and where they live. Can you imagine how angry you would be if they did this to someone you know? Do you think that they could pull it off on you or anyone you know? The “community” is in a pretty good state where I live at least.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
It's a pretty terrible reflection on the state of British community spirit too. The fact that this poor old man went to hospital and not one of his neighbours even bothered to confront people that were levering his doors open and moving in, or bothered to stop them when they left by the back door with his washing machine.

I agree... People are just wayy to fearfull these days.. If it had happened in my street then I assure you this wouldnt have continued for five minuets!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join