It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The END of Online Piracy

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
They have been fighting a losing battle for over 10 years now. The explosion in the popularity of the Internet and Digital Media is not something you can really contain. This law has the potential to stop a lot of Piracy in its current form, but is it a permanent solution? The best solution for the big Entertainment Corporations is to succumb to the old saying "if you can't beat them, join them". And I'm not referring to taking part in Illegal File Sharing, but utilising the same methods of communication that the file-sharers are using.

An example of this is the Steam platform from Valve Software. They have a huge range of PC games available for download and the prices are very competitive. It is a matter of buying the game online and downloading it. No packaging, no physical manuals, no disc. Free updates, patches for most games.

Another example is the Apple iTunes Store. A range of digital media (music, movies, TV shows, books, audio books etc.) is available and they have agreements with many ISPs that anything purchased does not count towards the user's Monthly Usage quota.

It's all up to the big Entertainment Corporations: adapt to the times and offer cheaper and easier access to products, or continue to fight a never-ending battle trying to suppress File Sharing.

edit on 21/9/2010 by Dark Ghost because: spelling

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
This reminds me of what the state of Kentucky did to online gambling websites. They seized domain names belonging to gambling websites and took them offline. None of which even operated in the United States(though Americans did play on some of the site). It affected all countries of the world even where online gambling is legalized and regulated. I believe it has been overturned and the domains have gone back to their owners.

But don't think they won't be able to do this because they lack jurisdiction. It has been done before and only by a state government, not federal.

edit on 21-9-2010 by Thatoneguy because: clarified post

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

umm so im im getting this correct the usa is gonna start seizeing international domain names? i dont see that flying and i dont see china giveing two squirts about anything the usa tells them they can or cant do so i forsee that being a pretty big problem some of the european countries might go for it but not all of them i see this as a measure that will fail and realy have no teeeth that will just incourage china to keep illegaly copying all the things they do

if i was wrong and the usa is just gonna prevent access INSIDE the USA i see that working but there being a huge backlash against isp's and whatnot but the second therory is problay more likely? am i flat wrong on this please correct me if im wrong

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
It has probably already been said. But I don't see how the US government would be able to LEGALLY enter the domains of foreign countries with out cooperation from the home country. There would be no standard of privacy, because they wouldn't be able to be monitored by the home country.
Having an American judge say that it is legal to do so, would only allow the US government to start (or continue to do so) filtering foreign Internet services with out having that country sue them on American soil in the US judicial system.
But hey... wait a second... they invaded Iraq before the United Nations Security Council sanctioned it. So What's a little Web Page /Server Hacking and Smashing?!

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
This will NOT stop piracy. If you believe that you're gullible. Besides if you get your torrents from the big popular sites you're dumb. Piracy will still continue no matter what, not only that but there's so much piracy going on behind the scenes that you DONT see it's crazy.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnactedEgoTrip
Come on American people, do the world a favour and get rid of that corrupt government of yours.

What is sad is the American people don't care any more. the government has the public to be to busy to worry about getting money to pay the next bill. They don't have time to see what is going on under their noses. That is why I kinda hope nibiru is real.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I have to love how quickly the anti-pirates resorted to attacks on other members, I wonder if they would have said the same when they saw me copying a crappy B-movie back in the 90s...

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
oh please! as if this can do anything to stop piracy. look how worked up you all are... for nothing at all. it doesnt matter what law is passed. piracy will continue. those that wish to have priated software or movies... they will be able to do so. do you honestly believe that torrents is the only way to share pirated files?

hahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahaha. any enumeration of domains may be created as throwaway accounts with the backup site being implemented within minuets under a different domain. notice that i did not say torrents. they are not needed. torrents are only a "prefered" transport.

law makers are duped again. mpaa and riaa have lost before they start. it is because they dont understand the nature of hackers. hackers do with what they have to accomplish a goal outside of what is expected of a product/technology.. it is a rule to exploit all areas where we are explicitly told not to tread.

yes i include myself in the hacker genre even though i do not write code. what i do is outline machine intelligence and subsets of routines. i then farm those out and compile a completed product. it is malicious. it is an angry act of defiance. i will not have another video disabled because an artist does not like my background music. that is so petty that i believe the offender must be punished. it is done in their pocket book. by any means necessary.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85
reply to post by jpmail

I really have to laugh

First of all: You don't need DVDs or music, right? Consider them, as what they're: A luxury. If you can't afford to buy them, it's your own fault. Look for a better job where you get more money, so you can buy them or just don't buy it. You don't music or movies to survive, right?
It's just so crazy and egoistical that some people think they deserve everything for free or should only pay an absolute minimum because they have a #ty job, have to pay for other stuff and don't have money left..

Second: Where the [snip] do you buy your music? I searched on Amazon.co.uk and NEW CD releases go for 8,95 Pound. In Germany new releases are between 14,95 and 17,95€ which is not that much. In the late 90's you paid about 32,99 DM for a new CD. In the 70's you paid around 22 DM for a new LP which comes to about 28€ today if you count inflation. So CDs today are very cheap and you even get more music than for more money 40 years ago when LPs usually gave you 30-40 minutes of music, today you get 50-80 minutes.
Same goes for DVD's, especially since Blu-Ray is the latest hype, DVDs are really cheap, you can get new movie for about 9,99€. I waited and got Gran Torino two months after the release for 5,95€ on Amazon.
I remember in the early 90's they sold VHS tapes with 1 or 2 episodes of an TV-Show. I remember they wanted 19,95 DM for an Episode of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Today you can get the complete first season with about 15 episodes for 19,99€. Two months ago i just payed 9,99€ for the fourth Season of Knight Rider...
Yeah, everything is so [snip] expensive these days

Just look around, buy it online and you will save lots and lots of money.
Amazon even has that nifty Marketplace where some peoples sell new and used media for insanely low prices. Sure, the new cd may arrive 2 weeks later because it was sent from somewhere in Singapur or the USA, but if you can save 10€ you accept the waiting time.

I say: Pass the laws, destroy piracy. There's just no need to pirate movies or music, there's no need to download a movie that still runs in the cinemas. People should just wake up and look for good prices instead of bitching and moaning, just because you're too stupid and still buy your stuff in an expensive store

edit on 21/9/10 by masqua because: Removed 2 instances of vulgarity

One of my favorite albums is ACDC-Back in Black. Love that album. I owned it on LP. When that got worn out I bought it on cassette. When that got eaten up by the tape deck I bought another one. Then I moved up to CD. When the cd was finally too scratched I bought it again. When it flew off the roof of my car with the rest of my cd's and case (long story, but in short I left it there and drove off) I bought it for a third time.

I'm done buying it. I've paid for the same album at least 5 times over, and I'm not paying for it again because really I shouldn't have to. Every one of the albums I've downloaded (around 3000) I have owned at one time or another in one format or another. They have already gotten my money and should not be entitled to take it again. They are using a lame assed piracy excuse in order to force me to pay for something that I have already paid for and should legally already have the right to possess, regardless of which format it comes in.

edit on 21-9-2010 by bronco73 because: fixed my poor grammar

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
The free jamboree is over folks. We've all done it because it was there but let's face it - it's wrong that we did it. It's stealing, whatever way you dress it up. It couldn't last forever, and it won't. This isn't about censorship or repressing the net, it's about protecting artists and their rights.

I welcome the coming drought in free stuff. I'll tell you why. A while back when the Playstation 1 was still around I used to go to a car boot sale every Sunday (Don't know if you have these in the US but it's a big thing over here - fill your car with crap and sell it in a parking lot or field). Anyway there were a ton of pirate games to be had for a pound each, and over the months I accumulated hundreds. But the very fact that I had such a vast choice just made me play ten minutes of each one without that sense of getting my money's worth.

The same is true of all these movies and albums I have on my hard drive. I genuinely don't give them the same respect as I would if I'd rented / bought them. Like anything in life, you cherish stuff you worked for. I remember going into a record shop as a kid and literally trembling with excitement as I bought the new album I'd been wanting so bad. Now I couldn't give a crap.

Bring back the old days when you had to pay for stuff. It'll be a shock at first but ultimately for the greater good.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by v3_exceed

No, no bible here.. My point is this.. If you get caught .. right now as it stands.. It is illegal, and you will be prosectued. Period!! It is happening all over the country. When you get a free copy on the internet, you are potentionally taking a sale of the cd away. I dont need nor care about any justification. (" If I didnt get it for free, I wouldn't have bought it anyway" ). For some that is true... not everyone!

None of that matters... I see the other position on this, I really do.. But I also have friends that are directly affected by this. They have a bunch of stories from other artists.. They feel this crunch. So when they offer it for sale and someone goes and Dl's a copy...I would say out of every 5 to 10 that Dl it .. at least 1 would have bought it... That is their money, or at least a portion is.

I see it as stealing... Sorry we dont agree.. but thats what I think...

I have heard every analogy ... I have heard all the arguments.. I get it.. But the artists, whether you like it or not, have the right to decide how their music is sold and passed around. It is their art work.. Who would you be, to tell an artist to their face, " I like your music, but I dont pay for it, I DL it for free on the net".

Ok.. between the other posters lies, and getting nowhere.. I will agree to disagree.

Im out.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

The Government can shut down all the torrent sites if they want and 20 more will rise in their place u cant stop it

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
The people will find a way. Hackers will go on a war and for every site that is taken down, they will probably take down 10. They will also create a way for people to share between each other by encrypting the bands with some kind of heavy PGP type security so that "outsiders" won't be able to crack it. They actually need to create a P2P program that can automatically "proxy hop" every 3 minutes or something, randomly jumping from a list of aonoymous proxies that can be updated regularly. Sites be damed, the world can use Angelfire or free web based sites to put these things on until the sites are found and are trashed,.....then they can just make more and more, and if the whole world is doing it......it will still be easy to find whatever. They (gov.) can only do so much ......so fast. I am not into this stuff, bu I'm just sayin'. Oh yeah, one more idea, um, I mean fear I have, is that hackers might go on a Windows hacking spree and use all of the Windows XP,Vista, 7 computers that they have hijacked (unknowingly) and use the borrowed systems as terminals for P2P relays. Those damn hackers. damn them all.

edit on 21-9-2010 by Phenomium because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Again everyone is back to the piracy argument is it stealing is it not. That is not what this law is about. The internet should be a free zone no government control. As others have said way back in the BBS days, I remember looking for PKZIP if anyone remembers that program. It has always gone on and will always go on.

On the point of price that keeps getting brought up. I have been writing code from way back in the TrueBasic days. So what if I want to learn flash well even if I don't like it or decide it is not what I am looking for I still have to pay big money for it. So if I go download it mess with it decide I don't like it and delete it there is no harm in that. It just goes back to the days of shareware.

Crash

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85
If you can't afford to buy them, it's your own fault. Look for a better job

Woh, mate. Some people are unable to get jobs full stop. For one reason or another lets say Down Syndrome, can't really expect to a doctor now can they.

So I think your remarks are petty.

Narrow mindedness aside, I am not the one who will go to jail if the sites are brought downs. So its ok.

However I have read alot of The Pirate Bay's emails, and its funny the replys they give back. Sweden does not have the same laws as America. So its alot of hot air but nothing happens. And i still use it to watch House as it airs in America which i appreciate.

Sorry ShadowAngel if I insulted you. We are all allowed our opinions whether I agree with them or not.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Keep on seeding. There are PLENTY of underground P2P playgrounds that most people have no idea about. You go to the website (http port 80) and it says "Domain unavailable" or "Domain for sale"; yet you connect to the site on a different underground port and you have a library list of torrents.

Also there are many proxies and SSH tunneling programs out there that keep pirates bounced throughout countries all over the world.

This law would only allow the government to take down the DOMAIN not the SITE. Domain names match the DOMAIN to the IP of the server...so in the end you could still type in the sites IP and you would be transported there.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
The whole concept of "intellectual property" seems unusual to me.

The intellect of mankind is interconnected, how can anyone lay claim to a thought?

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by bronco73
Every one of the albums I've downloaded (around 3000) I have owned at one time or another in one format or another. They have already gotten my money and should not be entitled to take it again. They are using a lame assed piracy excuse in order to force me to pay for something that I have already paid for and should legally already have the right to possess, regardless of which format it comes in.

You're right... I probably bought and paid for over 30 cars in my lifetime and I'm done. From now on if I need a car I'm going to steal yours. Why should I pay for one??? I already have many times over. And clothing, food, houses, T.V.s, computers, hell I'm just going to go take whatever I want because I've already paid for them in the past...

Great logic.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Most realistically what it will do is separate the people who are willing to only put forth 15 minutes getting software, and getting it to work, vs. the people who really want to pirate and will spend 3 hours if they have to to find the software and getting it working...the getting it working can be slightly annoying if you're a novice. And as DRM get's better, the process will get harder.

So some people will say, I've spent 15 minutes, this isn't worth it, I'll just go buy it. And this sort of anti-piracy measure address that audience, the casual pirates. It's really a spectrum as far as wanting to pirate, once it hits that point of being inconvenient, people will go buy it. Already I've seen google censoring some sites that host a popular anime, with this message.

In response to a complaint we received under the US Digital Millennium Copyright Act, we have removed 2 result(s) from this page. If you wish, you may read the DMCA complaint that caused the removal(s) at ChillingEffects.org.

But if you know the name of the site, google will list it. But for casual end of people, they'll give up the search.

edit on 21-9-2010 by ghaleon12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
The whole concept of "intellectual property" seems unusual to me.

The intellect of mankind is interconnected, how can anyone lay claim to a thought?

Oh but they do - and whoever digitalizes it first, owns it. Lock stock and barrel. It's international law, written into every "free trade" agreement since the US/Canada original.

...Like your DNA - you thought you owned it? Uh uh. Your DNA code is "Intellectual Property." You do NOT own it.

edit on 21-9-2010 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join